As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You should probably read New Avengers #3.

Basically,
    Steve refused to consider the option of destroying other universes to save our own. Tony and the other Illuminati disagreed, and decided that it would be best if Steve didn't get in the way.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Because Steve doesn't have the right mindset for the Illuminati, and the rest of them decided that he couldn't be allowed to leave without forgetting everything

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Oh man I just keep disliking Stark more and more!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Specifically I'm referring to the theory that
    Hickman was deliberately making reference to her granddad being Dan Dare, a pulp space hero from the 50s

Incidentally I read Ellis' Starjammers a little while ago. He portrays the Shi'ar and Kree as just big conquering/murdering empires with heroism being the least of their concerns, and not having read anything else I can only assume that's how most 90s-00s writers portrayed them. It's a jolt to see the Imperial Guards here being given a new more noble face.

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    What, more than Doctor Strange? Or Reed Richards? Namor, Black Bolt, Beast, and Black Panther all agreed to it, too.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well I doubt Hank was in on it.

Dude is still barely a part of the Illuminati.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I guess I just don't really know much about those characters yet so I'm focusing it all on him.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Tony Stark is suffering from several years of being show in an awful light, remember

Civil War may have been half a decade ago but what Tony did then is something that comic fans find hard to forget, and why not? That entire period made Tony become, effectively, a horrible authoritarian super-right wing asshole.

But since NOW, Gillen and Hickman have been striving to make Stark a flawed yet still well-meaning genius with a vision of the future which is both progressive and moral. He's not perfect, but he's trying. And so I can feel more sympathetic for the Tony who hates to do this to his friend but Good Lord the entire Universe is at stake and the morals of Captain America may destroy it all.

What that really says is; Hickman is better writing moral conflict between characters and other characters and even themselves than Mark Millar has ever, ever been. Once more, we can return to Civil War as the source of the problem.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I thought it seemed pretty clear where Hank stood. He was obviously unhappy about it, but he was in agreement with the others.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Solar is for some reason ignoring the 4 pretty good years Fraction spent writing the character.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Solar is for some reason ignoring the 4 pretty good years Fraction spent writing the character.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    it was a pretty good four years

it didn't overcome the fact that people hated Tony Stark because in the biggest, highest profile comics of the time, he was an asshole

much as that series was good, Iron Man has taken a while to shake off Civil War

• Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I thought it seemed pretty clear where Hank stood. He was obviously unhappy about it, but he was in agreement with the others.
    Oh he shared there views, I just doubt he was actually privy to the "mind wipe Steve" plan before it happened

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Specifically I'm referring to the theory that
    Hickman was deliberately making reference to her granddad being Dan Dare, a pulp space hero from the 50s

Incidentally I read Ellis' Starjammers a little while ago. He portrays the Shi'ar and Kree as just big conquering/murdering empires with heroism being the least of their concerns, and not having read anything else I can only assume that's how most 90s-00s writers portrayed them. It's a jolt to see the Imperial Guards here being given a new more noble face.

I'm not fully versed on all of the cosmic happenings, but leadership of the galactic empires have changed quite a bit in recent times. I mean, Gladiator is the current Shi'ar Majestor and he's more or less a decent dude; stands to reason that the empire under his banner would be a less dickish place.

(Mind you, they had a pretty shitty emperor prior and the Shi'ar were being pretty big dicks because of it.)

And the Kree are...hhmmmm, last I saw the Inhumans were running the show there. So again, cultural shift under he new regime.

• Options
    The Shi'ar have been a conquering warlike people in the past, but not always. It's largely depended on who was in charge at the time. D'ken, Deathbird, and Vulcan were all ruthless, murderous leaders, but under for example Lilandra's reign as Empress they were frequent allies and friends to the X-Men.

And now with Gladiator in charge it makes a ton of sense for him to emphasize that aspects of Shi'ar culture as he's lived his whole life by a rigid code of duty serving in the imperial guard.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Pretty sure Ronan is now in charge of the Kree, the Inhumans reign over that empire was deposed during the Four Cities War in Hickman's FF.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Gladiator is also not personally warlike, as in he is not expansionist like Vulcan and Deathbird were

he is strong but honourable

• Options
    Ah, yeah and Ronan's been portrayed more heroic of late, so again empire under his rule would be a less evil place.

So basically everyone just watch out for the Badoon at this point.

• Options
    I like the Kree and Shi'Ar as the more neutral groups they are now

it is still a hideous crime against love that Crystal and Ronan were split up by Black Bolt, that heartless fucker

• Options
    As everyone said that Young Avengers: Children's Crusade sucks a fat one I read the summary on Wikipedia and am now just... Completely confused. Can someone fill me in on the jist of what happens (and perhaps why it's a bad series)?

Also is the Runaways crossover stuff or any of the other stuff worth reading?

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Pretty sure Ronan is now in charge of the Kree, the Inhumans reign over that empire was deposed during the Four Cities War in Hickman's FF.

How'd all that happen anyway? I haven't been able to find any good summaries. Last I read was when
    the Kree openly welcomed the the Inhumans their new rulers, and they were going to save them from the being the (meaningless) "evolutionary dead-end" they had been harping on about for the last decade. And then Crystal had a political marriage to Ronan but forced herself to fall in love with him.
    How'd that end up with what happened in FF?

• Options
    Amigu wrote: »
    As everyone said that Young Avengers: Children's Crusade sucks a fat one I read the summary on Wikipedia and am now just... Completely confused. Can someone fill me in on the jist of what happens (and perhaps why it's a bad series)?

Also is the Runaways crossover stuff or any of the other stuff worth reading?

the only important things to know about Children's Crusade are:

Cassie is dead

Kid Vision is dead

Iron Lad is back on track to becoming Kang

Scott Lang is alive.

Everything else is not even worth thinking about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You should probably read New Avengers #3.

Basically,
    Steve refused to consider the option of destroying other universes to save our own. Tony and the other Illuminati disagreed, and decided that it would be best if Steve didn't get in the way.

Small nitpick :)
    Destroy other worlds, not universes
    They said that destroying one of two colliding earths would save both universes

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Right, right. My bad!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    Oh man I just keep disliking Stark more and more!

They both actually have a pretty good point in this situation. I think the Illuminati just made a bad call but can totally see where they are coming from.

Also I guess the Black Panthers question from the Illuminati's first meeting has finally been answered.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    CBR has a preview up for the first issue of the Secret Avengers reboot.
    Maybe it's just me but I'm guessing it's a bad idea for those two to eat the cookies...

• Options
    Oh snap, been wondering about it and there it is: chain of command on the first page.

Daisy Johnson- Director of SHIELD.
    Maria Hill- Commander, Acting Director

• Options
    There we go!

We knew that Hill was Director but Johnson was still an unknown.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I'm guessing it's a bad idea for those two to eat the cookies...

prv15170_pg2.jpg

Awesome, Hulk and Winter Soldier!
    And what I guess is War Machine putting on the Iron Patriot armor to coincide with the movie

Guess I might give this book a chance after all

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    As much as I love that line up

The brain wiping and Spencer's political preachiness harpoon any interest I could have.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

You know, considering the nature of that preview and the last panel of it I can't help but wonder if we have a spy here. Anybody see how much "redacted" there's been as of late. Maybe Geth's feeding info behind the mods backs? :P

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Wait, how can you have an Acting Director when the Director's slot is already filled?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    If the Director is otherwise occupied

the Acting Director

acts in her place

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so then the question is, what is Daisy up to?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    she's being driven by Morgan Freeman.

• Options
    He refuses to get GPS. It makes Daisy late for meetings all the time.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    He refuses to get GPS. It makes Daisy late for meetings all the time.

Have we seen any of her at all since Secret Warriors*?
    *Such a damn good series.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    She was in Bendis' Avengers post-Fear Itself

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Who was looking to pick up CC? I'll sell my singles, also nope, not getting Secret Avengers. Remender finished it for me, didn't like where Spencer took it while he had it the last time.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The hulk seems like a awful choice for a spec ops team

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.