Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Unofficial Forum Stylesheet - Ye Olde Style

SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
title.png

What this is:
A stylesheet is a way of arranging the presentation elements of a website. This is most commonly accomplished through CSS, which is a basic scripting language which stores information on how each element on a site should look. Any website's stylesheet can be overridden by the end-user, if they have the appropriate browser and/or addons. Ye Olde Style is one such custom style, which overrides many elements of the design of the new forum and replaces its aesthetic with one fairly close to that of the old Penny Arcade forums before the switch from vBB to Vanilla.

How you can use it:
I don't know how they're applied for Internet Explorer users, but Chrome can use them by itself (although not always perfectly). Typically, they're used through Firefox with the Stylus addon, and this is what the development is based around. Once you have Stylus installed, simply go to to the style's page on userstyles.org, and click "Install Style". It's that easy. You should have a little S icon at the top right of the screen, and by right-clicking that, you can enable and disable the style.

Is it kept up to date:
Yes. I browse Penny Arcade daily and use this style all the time, so any brokenness will annoy me. That's good reason for me to keep things updated as the forum grows and changes. If anything looks broken or just 'off', say so in the thread and I'll have a look into it. Updates can be installed either through the Stylish section in the Firefox Addons menu, or by going to the userstyles page and clicking update.

What it looks like:
Warning, large screenshots:
style1.png
style2.png

Latest version:
25/4/13
- Fixed code tags again.
- Title tags generated on the fly are now colored orange.

Suriko on
captainkPsycohedEddyLucedesHahnsoo1ronyaagoajMojo_JojoSoundsPlushaugustB_RCorehealerRear Admiral ChocoAshcroftOdinFlayMonkey Ball WarriorQuidPantsBMrVyngaardCythraulpainfulPleasance

• thorgotthorgot Registered User regular
    The CLOSED tag on closed threads is black on dark blue, which is hard to read.

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Should be grey now. Some stuff was changing on the backend which changed how it looked.

• ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    The little location marker thingy is currently overlapping with a user's text for that box for me.

Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Fixed. Looks like the core stylesheet changed the reference for the user location graphic and it wasn't being picked up.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    On my PMs list, there's no indication of who each conversation is with. Without the stylesheet there's an avatar and "You, *Whoever*", but with the stylesheet on it's just part of the last message, number of messages, and date. Could the avatar and/or name be added back? They're very helpful when there's a whole bunch of conversations and I want to find a particular one.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... ... and hard.Registered User regular
    Minor nit: The previous version of the forums was vBB, not phpBB.

redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PDT is not PST | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    Thank you so much for this. It works great in Chrome.

sigcx.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Locations appear to have been updated again. The icon now causes the location bar to be scroll-able. Not sure if you want to address that or not.

Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Tox wrote: »
    Locations appear to have been updated again. The icon now causes the location bar to be scroll-able. Not sure if you want to address that or not.

I got this.

• thorgotthorgot Registered User regular
    Just to keep you busy: the emoticon picker appears at just a white box until you click on it.

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Code tags look pretty ugly

Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    edited March 2012
    Updated style to account for them. Looks like they got an improvement and auto-detect their content as opposed to just being monospaced text, so it's going to be easier to just leave unskinned. The contrast is good anyway.

Suriko on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    The line numbers vanish in the code tags. I'm not sure why, the Inspect Element thing isn't telling me any obvious conflicts.

aRkpc.gif
    Fixed. Looks like the list elements were being overridden, so I explicitely referenced them.

simulacrum
  • MadpandaMadpanda Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Would it be possible to move the edit button on Penny Arcade - Darkened to the top left of post, where it is on default vanilla. Currently its hidden by the "last edited by" icon.

I looked at the code and couldn't figure out how to change it.

edit: this is the style I am talking about http://userstyles.org/styles/50802/penny-arcade-darkened

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Amazon: shorturl.at/giJSV Steam: shorturl.at/ftCLSRegistered User regular
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Would it be possible to move the edit button on Penny Arcade - Darkened to the top left of post, where it is on default vanilla. Currently its hidden by the "last edited by" icon.

I looked at the code and couldn't figure out how to change it.

edit: this is the style I am talking about http://userstyles.org/styles/50802/penny-arcade-darkened

"1/10/11
    ***UPDATE***
    This is deprecated until further notice. Please use Ye olde Style instead."

Dude, I wish this style was still being updated too, but it's dead.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Code tags appear as a solid yellow block now
    ouch

Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    Lucedes
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Code tags appear as a solid yellow block now
    ouch

A quick and dirty hack is to add "pre{background:black;}" at the end. Then at least it is readable.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    edited April 2012
    Updated and fixed.

XRLKK.jpg

I really wish there was a way to not get notifications about every thread you've made. One more popular thread fills my notifications so I can't see this topic's notifications easily.

Suriko on
    Aw, did they get rid of the version with the line numbers and syntax highlighting? That was neat.

redoctober2.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    I really wish there was a way to not get notifications about every thread you've made. One more popular thread fills my notifications so I can't see this topic's notifications easily.

You can. Go to your profile, edit settings, notification preferences. I only get notifications for PMs and being mentioned now. I remember you couldn't change it back when we first switched to vanilla, but it's working now.

I think he only wants notifications for certain threads, not to turn them off completely.

redoctober2.png
    edited April 2012
    Well, turning them off for all threads is the next best thing. I can just bookmark the ones I still want to follow. Thanks Ante.

Suriko on
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Seriously, Icy's most recent posts have consisted of "I'll show them ALL." and deranged laughter.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh GOD MY EYES! Suriko, I didn't know how much you gave us ... until it was gone.

signature.png

BlueBlueMagus`Riqa
    Since this forum is longer on the front page, I feel like we've gone underground here. Like some sort of rebellion.

redoctober2.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Yeah, would be nice to get an update to this style. The white's totally making my eyes bleed.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Oh GOD MY EYES! Suriko, I didn't know how much you gave us ... until it was gone.

I did.

I knew what I had before I lost it.

Looking forward to an update when you get to it. Will shield my eyes until then.

DarkPrimus
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Since this forum is longer on the front page, I feel like we've gone underground here. Like some sort of rebellion.

Well.... dang.

redoctober2.png
    Tox
  • LucedesLucedes i'm not real, and i deny Registered User regular
    @Suriko

please

help

save us from the blinding whiteness

you're our only hope

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Please hellllllp!

hCpR4ri.jpg
    Steam: weavermatic xbox: weavermatico
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Huzzah!

hCpR4ri.jpg
    Steam: weavermatic xbox: weavermatico
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Give in to the light.

YL9WnCY.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Thanks for looking into this, Suriko. Honestly this new color is ridiculous a lot of it is white shade on white shade?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Xeddicus
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Give in to the light.

it burnssssss