As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wasteland 2] 14 major areas to explore. One to press your balls against.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Some QoL I would like to see:
    Weapon range when switching to a weapon
    Enemy eyesight pops up more frequently
    Sorting options in the inventory
    Filter goes forwards and backwards (instead of having to click R3 through a cycle)
    Better overall movement in UI when using controller
    Turn off UI when out of combat
    Dedicated button to jump into the map quickly.
    In Game codex/Encyclopedia/Tutorial Section
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    So, anyone else met someone called October 11 yet?
    And did you kill them or not?
    I'm really conflicted about this, they seem innocent (in the "not a fully cognicant adult" way, not "did not do the crime" way), but while there's a voice in the back of my head screaming to let them go.
    I am somewhat dubious about the writers making this one of those "though decisions" moments where that will end up worse if i do.
    Sometimes i just hate choices.
    I killed him/her. Their approach is largely "kill all humans no matter what. . ." Even when you try to take them to Ranger HQ so they aren't put down. Plus I already let one - I'm sure - killer go free.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Finally out of the city.
    And here we have the binary quest choice.
    Do i go save the power armor for Pattriarch, or go save an innocent family and potentially kill/capture the religious lunatic.
    Save innocent family and capture Dorsley, while leaving potentially even more innocents to be slaughtered by bandits, or go save the caravan and let dorsley murder an innocent family.
    And do i really want the rep hit from Patriarch, or who ever i do loose rep if i don't save the Hoon's

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Biggest QoL I'm hoping for is the menu stops alerting me to the fact that point allocation is permanent.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Buchanon what a maaaaaan!

Stupid propaganda song stuck in my head.
    After hours, hours of not playing and trying to decide,
    i let October 11 go
    This is so going to come back to bite me in the but.

edit-
    Wolfe just called me a
    Race traitor
    I suddenly have zero conflicts about my previous spoilered decision.

I also gave beer to some kids, i hope it will cause hilarious consequences.

edit2-
    It seems that any animal companion released evaporates if you save/load without getting them back first.
    Which kinda sucks, i wanted to collect all the animals into the ranger HQ.

edit3-
    dammit October
    you could not go 5 minutes without murdering someone, now i have to travel back in time and shoot you.
    How do you release pets?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    @Quid did you know that point allocation is permanent?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Perks and leveling is a lot better and less determined by how you start your character. It takes 28(22 if you use a skill book effectively) points to rank up to max skill and a character can get 105 points over the course of the game(+1 per 2 pts of int). It only takes 7 points to rank a skill to 5 so its super fast to get to medium skill if you focus. Similarly you can get 54/70 attribute points. (And you supposedly only need 9/10 to cap so 54/63). (This supposing level 35 is the cap)

It seems to be a lot easier to use secondary skills as primary attack. Mechanics get deployable turrets. Animal companions are relatively tough and can get tougher. (And are plentiful for it/when they die). Nerds can hack enemy robots at range. Explosives and grenades are powerful attacks and super effective.

In terms of weapons I really like that each weapon tree has multiple options which lets you have versatility in the same character without breaking the skill bank.

Inventory is... amazing even if there is too many stuffs. Shared inventory! No weight juggling! Amazing!

Enjoying these upgrades so far. It seems a lot easier to dip and toss skill points around without locking you out of top tier stuffs.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Buchanon what a maaaaaan!

Stupid propaganda song stuck in my head.
    After hours, hours of not playing and trying to decide,
    i let October 11 go
    This is so going to come back to bite me in the but.

edit-
    Wolfe just called me a
    Race traitor
    I suddenly have zero conflicts about my previous spoilered decision.

I also gave beer to some kids, i hope it will cause hilarious consequences.

edit2-
    It seems that any animal companion released evaporates if you save/load without getting them back first.
    Which kinda sucks, i wanted to collect all the animals into the ranger HQ.

edit3-
    dammit October
    you could not go 5 minutes without murdering someone, now i have to travel back in time and shoot you.
    How do you release pets?

Talk to them, there should be a dialogue option to dismiss them.

edit-
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Perks and leveling is a lot better and less determined by how you start your character. It takes 28(22 if you use a skill book effectively) points to rank up to max skill and a character can get 105 points over the course of the game(+1 per 2 pts of int). It only takes 7 points to rank a skill to 5 so its super fast to get to medium skill if you focus. Similarly you can get 54/70 attribute points. (And you supposedly only need 9/10 to cap so 54/63). (This supposing level 35 is the cap)

It seems to be a lot easier to use secondary skills as primary attack. Mechanics get deployable turrets. Animal companions are relatively tough and can get tougher. (And are plentiful for it/when they die). Nerds can hack enemy robots at range. Explosives and grenades are powerful attacks and super effective.

In terms of weapons I really like that each weapon tree has multiple options which lets you have versatility in the same character without breaking the skill bank.

Inventory is... amazing even if there is too many stuffs. Shared inventory! No weight juggling! Amazing!

Enjoying these upgrades so far. It seems a lot easier to dip and toss skill points around without locking you out of top tier stuffs.
    Tell that to my chicken. My poor, poor chicken. :(
    Taken from us too soon by an exploding mutant.
    Yeah, animal training perk, all the time, every time.

Found 2 items to boost mechanic in the city, pity one of them was a hat (and my mechanic had death wish quirk, whoopsie), happily the ranger i saved had also mechanic and no death wish, so now she's the mechanic, i'll just concentrate on sneaky shit and lockpicking.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Woah the difference in how everything feels (UI, feedback, etc) is night and day from Wasteland 2 to 3. The game doesn't feel like a Unity game anymore. I'm still running around the city with my buddies but I'm really liking it so far.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    This game crashes a ton on Xbox when interacting with your inventory. Which, because you have to bring up your inventory to look at missions or the map, means it happens frequently.

• Options
    I have made a True Monk. Death Wish Brawler.

Some interesting things about brawling... combo's stack for everyone in the party

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    One thing I don't like: tell me what difficulty levels do. A little description doesn't cut it. Right now it just seems like Supreme Jerk has +200% enemy health, but I'm curious if there's more to it than that. . .especially in a game that is based on dice rolls.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I'd like to know what weird bug is causing my Sniper Rifle to randomly lose half its damage on its sheet until unequipped and reequipped.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I usually make a smooth talking intelligent shooty guy, so having the science couple is excellent.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Only just now getting to put some time into this, but I'm liking the changes thus far. Like urahonky says it feels a lot less like some Unity title burdened with under-the-hood jank; aside from some nitpicks there's an overall level of polish that wasn't in WL2. Combat can handle a lot more at once, the positioning information feels less cluttered than the alpha, enemy sight ranges are clearly defined, and ye gods but shared inventory is a blessing upon this world.

It's weird thinking of Wasteland as having canon now, but taking the setting to Colorado does free them up from having to write around the various outcomes in Arizona. One curious detail is brought up in the tutorial encounter:
    Angela is alive? This immediately set off some mental alarms. It's conceivable she survived the crash, escaped, and eventually made her way back to Arizona, but given what Matthias/Cochise were doing in the second game I'm expecting the other shoe to drop at some point. (I like this, so we're clear - I enjoy mysteries and it's a layer of suspicion on top of her team's secret mission.)

Anyway, tutorial cleared and we're on our way. C'mon Major Tom, we've got some justice to deliver!

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    I just left an area that had this really cool, folksy Johnny Cash'y style music playing. Only when I was leaving did I realize that it was:
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'd like to know what weird bug is causing my Sniper Rifle to randomly lose half its damage on its sheet until unequipped and reequipped.

There are visual bugs like this all over the game I'm afraid. At least I think they are only visual. . .probably not.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

There are visual bugs like this all over the game I'm afraid. At least I think they are only visual. . .probably not.

The reason why I'm worried it's not just visual, is that the reduced damage numbers show up:

* On the weapon in the inventory.
    * On the weapon outside the inventory, in that character's 2 weapon slots bar.
    * On the "compare this item" trade window, when comparing with another item, it will compare against the reduced weapon damage.

It's very strange.

Characters
  • Options
    If you have bonus damage it could be that the bonus damage is being applied when it’s on the character or in the inventory but changes based on who is selected. The selected character sees their bonus damage and not the equipped. It “resets” because you reselect the character with the bonus damage when equipping. But changing characters inside the inventory may not change the selected character

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    If you have bonus damage it could be that the bonus damage is being applied when it’s on the character or in the inventory but changes based on who is selected. The selected character sees their bonus damage and not the equipped. It “resets” because you reselect the character with the bonus damage when equipping. But changing characters inside the inventory may not change the selected character

Yea but we're talking a difference of a weapon going from 62-90 down to 36-60. I don't have that much bonus damage.

Characters
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It may only be because I own ferrets but the
    frozen ferret launcher
    is the best weapon in anything ever

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Everybody, I would like you to meet my son. Fumbles:
    8qmQbe0.jpg

He has a PHD, is a trained birthday party demolitions expert, communicates telepathically by honking his nose and has ran away from the raider circus.

God made him a little different.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Here's a funny feature/bug for you - if you have +skill gear equiped, it increases the skill cost to rank up. No big hassle to unequip and re-equip stuff but it's pretty stupid thing to have to do.

• Options

Yea but we're talking a difference of a weapon going from 62-90 down to 36-60. I don't have that much bonus damage.

Untrained penalty for that weapon?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Boy are there some damn bugs in this one.

Some real weird shit.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The game just deleted one of my characters. :biggrin: . Thank goodness I've been mostly idle respeccing characters.

EDIT: Squad Management is definitely bugged. Reloaded a few times and each time in Character Creation a character got deleted.

ED! on
  • Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Here's a funny feature/bug for you - if you have +skill gear equiped, it increases the skill cost to rank up. No big hassle to unequip and re-equip stuff but it's pretty stupid thing to have to do.

That's actually a UI bug only, the UI claims the prise goes up, but only subtracts the amount it should without the gear.
    Atleast that's what has happened to me so far, but maybe play it safe.

• Options
    oops..just lost like, 3 hours of progress when i accidentally loaded a quicksave instead of an autosave, and then right after it finished loading it snapped off another autosave and overwrote the original...le sigh.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Alright, the skill thing wasn't that funny I guess. Here's a funnier one - I try to defend with my melee girl, it says that I'm out of range(!?). I try a few more times, then she suddenly runs into the middle of the enemies and defends there. Riiiight.

At least that only cost me one medikit, as a melee she's the most armored ranger in the team so she could take some punishment.

Enjoying the game quite a bit but I'm slightly tired of the thing that almost all RPGs suffer from. First you run around, then you see some shady guys and you talk to them. A(n unavoidable) fight starts and the baddies get the first round, utterly mauling your team. You reload, set your team in tactical positions and snipe the currently-neutral-but-eventually-inevitable-enemies from afar. I suppose the rangers are psychic and just know how it'll be the second time around, even though there never was a first time since you reloaded.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Alright, the skill thing wasn't that funny I guess. Here's a funnier one - I try to defend with my melee girl, it says that I'm out of range(!?). I try a few more times, then she suddenly runs into the middle of the enemies and defends there. Riiiight.

At least that only cost me one medikit, as a melee she's the most armored ranger in the team so she could take some punishment.

Enjoying the game quite a bit but I'm slightly tired of the thing that almost all RPGs suffer from. First you run around, then you see some shady guys and you talk to them. A(n unavoidable) fight starts and the baddies get the first round, utterly mauling your team. You reload, set your team in tactical positions and snipe the currently-neutral-but-eventually-inevitable-enemies from afar. I suppose the rangers are psychic and just know how it'll be the second time around, even though there never was a first time since you reloaded.

Well, on the flipside, there are also fights where you manage to position yourself, shoot the enemy leader from stealth, and trigger a conversation.
    Liking the game, but it does fall into lot of pretty common problems with these types of games.

• Options
    Rangers that you add to your squad level up when they're not in your squad and are created at your party level. You can use this to have an armor/weapon modder specialty user (you can also generate infinite money like this but like... it would take forever and there are easier ways)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I have one "throwaway" character in my party i just cart around who has the, i think it's poindexter? perk that gives you extra skill points for a con/hp penalty + 9 starting int. She basically has 2 in small arms as her only combat skill and everything else non combat pretty much maxxed already and just does all my skill check stuff while the other characters focus solely on combat.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I wouldn't even bother with small arms. Just give them a sniper rifle, keep them in the back and who cares about their hit rate if they only shoot things that are exposed? Zero crit rate? They're a throw-away character

Some abilities are clear winners

Automatic Weaons:

(AR)Puncturing Shot: 2+ attacks for 1.25x AP. => 1.6x DMG
    (SMG)Spray and Pray: 2x attacks for 1.25x AP -> 1.6x DMG (25% accuracy may or may not be an issue)
    (SMG)Stormer: Flanking Costs 1 Movement (FREE if it works with spray and pray!)

Melee:

Stunning Blow: +2 AP to STUN

Big Guns:

All of Big Guns holy shit
    Move Up is the only one that is weak. Mainly because the margin on finding a good spot isn't that much and you probably don't have the AP to move a whole bunch and shoot anyway

Brawling: They're all Eh until you get flurry of blows and then they're all hilarious. Shaolin Surprise is the weakest by far though. As if you have a x10 crit boosted stonk the surprise isn't going to be better than your normal strike attack, which is great. Its not bad, its just... eh?

Small Guns:

Trick Shot: Sure it has -50% to hit... but it damages their weapon AND gives you a free attack AND charges your strike meter so the free attack is a focused attack. And it only costs 1 AP more than normal. It also synergizes with mark target, which is only 2 skill points away in the sniping tree

Mark Target -> Trick Shot (only -35% now!) that does 2x dmg-> free strike attack that does +50% damage. = 7 AP for 3.5 x attacks with bonus effects!

Explosives:

+40% radius is big and explosives are good. Deep Pockets regular perk is probably just better in general though

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I will probably make a throw away rangers for armor and gun modifying.
    Waiting for when i can get the relevant skills to rank 10 straight out the box.
    But the rangers hanging out at HQ do not seem to level up, so no point in doing them before you get to rank 10 because they are not going to gain any xp.

• Options
    My rangers at HQ leveled up...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    My exposure to post-apocalyptic fiction consists mostly of Fallout: New Vegas, Mad Max, and Wasteland 2.

Because of this it's been apparently etched into my mind that post-apocalypse = desert. So I'm having trouble accepting that these frozen wastes are actually post-apocalyptic.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Frostpunk would like a word

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    My rangers at HQ leveled up...

Interesting, the one guy i have chilling there has not.
    Maybe check again soon.
    My exposure to post-apocalyptic fiction consists mostly of Fallout: New Vegas, Mad Max, and Wasteland 2.

Because of this it's been apparently etched into my mind that post-apocalypse = desert. So I'm having trouble accepting that these frozen wastes are actually post-apocalyptic.
    I'm more curious of their manufacturing and maintenance capability, which seems wildly inconsistent with how ruined everything is.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Interesting, the one guy i have chilling there has not.
    Maybe check again soon.

They might be gaining XP at their experience rate so if your main dude has charisma and they do not they may lag? My dude has low charisma so didn't see what it was

Snapshot has no cooldown...

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    These clowns are no joke, and neither are their
    exploding pigs

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    There are some delightful musical choices in certain encounters.

Nothing like having a curated sound track for your atrocities.

I appreciate that a rocket or rifle round is a perfectly acceptable method to start an encounter that smells like a monologue followed by an unfavorable combat round.

Sometimes I reload just to see what I missed, but there is a deep sort of satisfaction unique to shooting sentai heros while they transform and villains while they're rehearsing prior to your appearance.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Dismissing animal companions will make them disappear if you leave the map or save/load with them dismissed.
    Sending companions to chill in the HQ with animal companions will also make those animals disappear, but you keep the companion buff (or atleast the icon).

As someone who has animal whisperer on everyone, this is going to be annoying.
    Like, i am currently followed by a chicken, a dog, a wolf, a cat, a bunny, and a pig.
    juggling those while changing roster is not going to be fun.