As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Dammit Steve, now it's barely midmorning and I want a reuben

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Gimme all the corned beef. Put it in my mouth. Between sanctioned corned beef overload and my mother's soda bread this is my favorite non-Christmas weekend of the year.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I had no idea corned beef was a traditional st. patrick's day thing until I was a teenager. in the philippines you eat it with rice (and in my house, for breakfast a lot of the time)

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I now have the ingredients for homemade corned beef reuben sandwiches. I think I can make about 20 of them. Tonight I shall dine like 20 Bravehearts.

Actually I probably will give most of them away. I just want to cook corned beef.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Regi, you're a prince.

• Options
    Ziplock, you're drunk.

• Options
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    But William Wallace was Scottish!

Zip I hope you are getting Irish drunk for America's third favourite holiday.

Fourth favourite? Maybe fourth favourite.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    Can't wait for corn beef because not only is it delicious it means corn beef hash for breakfast the next day!

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I just had the best reuben of my life. Good god.

• Options
    You use the recipe to cook the corned beef? Everything turned out well?

• Options
    The only thing i had to do differently was add more water as the corned beef simmered, because the corned beef soaked up some of the water and some water evaporated. Also I didn't know that beef can float.

It was exactly as you said, disgusting smelling and looking while cooking (pink foam slime is no good), but absolutely delicious to eat. The apple cider vinegar adds a really nice flavor.

• Options
    My lunch creation, the reuben scramble with roasted brussel sprouts:

423154_3543908766094_1523733828_3117242_1953681418_n.jpg

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love brussel sprouts so much.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i still haven't re-tried brussel sprouts since becoming an adult, i should probably get on that

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    how did your parents cook them when you were a kid?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Reginald wrote: »
    The only thing i had to do differently was add more water as the corned beef simmered, because the corned beef soaked up some of the water and some water evaporated. Also I didn't know that beef can float.

It was exactly as you said, disgusting smelling and looking while cooking (pink foam slime is no good), but absolutely delicious to eat. The apple cider vinegar adds a really nice flavor.

Excellent! Glad that it worked out for you.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

we actually never had them that often so i just have the lingering knowledge that i "don't like" them without any real evidence why

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    A simple and awesome brussel sprouts recipe, ready in 40 minutes:

Ingredients:
    1-1.5 lb fresh brussel sprouts
    1 cup good olive oil
    3 tbsp kosher salt (coarse)
    2 tbsp ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
    While oven is heating take the brussel sprouts and cut off the stem end.
    Remove any bruised or dying leaves from the sprouts.
    Put the brussel sprouts in a bowl with the other ingredients and hand mix.
    Put the sprouts on a cookie sheet or baking pan, and drizzle with the leftovers from the bowl.
    Cook for 35-40 minutes.

Once out of the oven sprinkle with more salt/pepper to flavor. I like my sprouts salty.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Ubik wrote: »

we actually never had them that often so i just have the lingering knowledge that i "don't like" them without any real evidence why

Do you remember how most vegetables were prepared in your home? From my experience, people that don't like a vegetable usually had parents that didn't know how to prepare them well when they were kids. For instance, Jess didn't like brussel sprouts either when I met her. Her mother had boiled or steamed them until mushy, then I think just put butter on them. So I roasted some brussel sprouts in the oven at 400 after tossing them in olive oil, kosher salt, and some pepper. They get a little burnt on the outside, tender yet still with some bite on the inside. Definitely not mushy. She really likes them now. There's also a really good brussel sprout hash we like to make with holiday meals.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Ubik wrote: »

Do you remember how most vegetables were prepared in your home? From my experience, people that don't like a vegetable usually had parents that didn't know how to prepare them well when they were kids. For instance, Jess didn't like brussel sprouts either when I met her. Her mother had boiled or steamed them until mushy, then I think just put butter on them. So I roasted some brussel sprouts in the oven at 400 after tossing them in olive oil, kosher salt, and some pepper. They get a little burnt on the outside, tender yet still with some bite on the inside. Definitely not mushy. She really likes them now. There's also a really good brussel sprout hash we like to make with holiday meals.

yeah boiled or steamed was like go to veggie prep

i didn't like asparagus but then i had some roasted with s&p and olive oil and now i actually like it

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, boiling is a terrible way to cook many veggies (blanching is different) but was all too common back when I was young. Butter was also the standard vegetable accompaniment. Nothing necessarily wrong with butter, but you can definitely do better in many cases. When it comes to broccoli and gai lan (chinese cultivar of broccoli), I like to saute them in some oil and fresh garlic, then add a little chicken or beef stock (fish sauce works if we don't have any stock) and a couple of dashes of soy sauce as well as some white pepper. Saute on med-hi to high until the liquid reduces and eat up! Should be tender but still a bit crisp when done. If you overcooked it, try increasing the heat next time so the liquid reduces faster. Also like to add some chili-garlic sauce toward the end sometimes for some kick.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Also generally not a fan of steaming many veggies. Too bland.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I like steamed artichokes.

Back before I lived in the land of no artichokes, we would buy a bunch and steam them and just go to town with melted butter and artichoke leaves as an entire meal.

I wanted to make chicken with cashews for dinner tonight, because last week I'd seen a recipe for it that sounded good, but now I cannot find the recipe at all. It is as though it never existed.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Yes! I love artichokes with some garlic butter. Mmmmmm.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Every memorial day my group of friends here hosts a Cook-Off. The past two years have focused on ribs and the cooking there of. Last year, I took home the prize. This year? We're doing something different. Last night at our St. Patrick's Day gathering we figured we should mix it up a bit. We wrote the following items onto pieces of paper and tossed them into a hat:

Pork ribs
    Pork shoulder/Boston butt
    Beef brisket
    Beef short ribs
    Lamb
    Chicken

The deal is, you pull your protein and that's what you have to cook for Memorial Day. Judging criteria is still being determined.

What did I pull? Chicken. Fucking. Chicken. Out of all the delicious on that list, I get chicken.

Which means that I now have a few weeks to come up with a chicken preparation that has the ability to beat out the other things listed.

Alright, SE++ food thread....start hitting me with your best shots.

I can do nothing but some incredible wings. I can roast the thing. Broil it, fry it, press it, steam it, grill it and anything else. Either way, the chicken needs to be the stand out component.

• Options
    I have a recipe for chicken marbella that numerous people begged me for after bringing it to a potluck. I can give you that and/or my favourite wings recipe and a recipe for super-delicious spicy chicken. I cannot do it tonight because I am going to sleep but I can do it. If any of those sound enticing.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Thighs. Marinade them, grill 'em, destroy everyone else.

• Options
    Yea, Lost...I'll take 'em.

Chris, at this point I'm thinking thighs or legs. Legs are creeping towards the top. I'm going to start playing around with brines, sauces and prep techniques. There's a chance I'll be combining a few different styles and preps for this one.

• Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    Seriously, did they put chicken on the list to purposely screw someone over?

Not that chicken can't be great, but compared to the rest of that list, man you are going to have to pull out all the stops.

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Definitely dark meat. Brine them and then smoke them.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Just technique the fuck out of the entire bird man.

Brine the thighs and do a classic grill
    Deep fry the legs
    Livers for pâté.
    Turn the wings and confit them.
    Do something with the breasts (words to live by), a vietmenese salad or something
    Soup with the bones and neck

Heck if they are up for it cook the feet.

It's no doubt a lot of work, but it would destroy them.

On the downside you'd need to back it up next year.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Yea, Lost...I'll take 'em.

Chris, at this point I'm thinking thighs or legs. Legs are creeping towards the top. I'm going to start playing around with brines, sauces and prep techniques. There's a chance I'll be combining a few different styles and preps for this one.

How about chicken inasal? We use a cheater version of the marinade but it's absolutely amazing on the grill

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Really outstanding wing recipe here

Julia has a thing or three to say about chicken

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I got me some sweet potato because I've been craving it, but never having cooked it before I'm unsure about what to do with them.
    Any suggestions? :D

• Options
    I am by new means saying I dislike the other meats, but I love chicken.

Anyway.

Chicken Marbella from Silver Palate
    This was the first main-course dish to be offered at the Silver Palate and the distinctive colors and flavors of the prunes, olives and capers have kept it a favourite for years. It's good hot or t room temperature. When prepared with small drumsticks and wings, it makes a delicious hors d'oeuvre.

The overnight marination is essential to the moistness of the finished product: the chicken keeps and even improves over several days of refrigeration; it travels well and makes excellent picnic fare.

Since chicken marbella is such a spectacular party dish, we give quantities to serve 10 to 12, but the recipe can successfully be divided to make smaller amounts.

4 chickens, 2 1/2 lb each, quartered
    1 head of garlic, peeled and finely pureed
    1/4 c dried oregano
    coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1/2 c red wine vinegar
    1/2 c olive oil
    1 c pitted prunes
    1/2 c pitted Spanish green olives
    1/2 c capers with a bit of juice
    6 bay leaves
    1 c brown sugar
    1 c white wine
    1/4 c Italian parsley or fresh coriander, finely chopped

1. In a large bowl combine chicken quarters, garlic, oregano, pepper and coarse salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice, and bay leaves. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 350.

3. Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two large, shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. SPrinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.

4. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest, yield clear yellow juice.

5. With a slotted spoon transfer the chicken, prunes, olives and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoonfuls of pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley or coriander. Pass remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.

6. To serve chicken marbella cold, cool to room temperature in cooking juices before transfering to a serving platter. If chicken has been covered and refrigerated, allow it to return to room temperature before serving. Spoon some of the reserved juice over the chicken.

Hot Wings (These are from a Bobby Flay recipe and I normally hate him but they are really delicious)
    canola oil for deep-frying
    2 c all-purpose flour
    kosher salt and ground pepper
    3 tbsp ancho chile powder
    1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    3 lb chicken wings, split at the joint, wing tips removed and discarded (seriously don't use the big ones they are so gross as wings)
    3/4 c red wine vinegar
    2 tbsp pureed chipotle in adobo
    1/4 tsp chile de arbol powder or cayenne pepper
    1 heaping tbsp of dijon mustard
    8 tbsp unsalted butter
    1-2 tbsp of honey, to taste
    3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro

1. Heat 2 inches of canola oil in a large deep pot until it reaches 365 on a deep-fry thermometer.

2. Stir the flour, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tbsp of the ancho chile powder, and the garlic powder together in a large shallow bowl. Season the wings with salt and pepper, and add the wings, in batches, to the flour mixture to lightly coat. Tap off any excess flour. Add the wings, in batches, to the hot oil and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain for a few minutes; then transfer to a large bowl.

3. Whisk the vinegar, chipotle puree, remaining 2 tbsp ancho chile powder, chile de arbol powder, and mustard together in a small bowl.

4. Melt the butter in a large saute pan over low heat. Add the vinegar mixture, bring to a simmer, and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt, pepper, and honey to taste. Pour the sauce over the wings and toss to coat. Transfer the wings to a platter and sprinkle with cilantro.

Chicken Kirai

This is the lazy-man's recipe because it uses boneless skinless breasts, which I know everyone scoffs at, and is double-plus easy to throw together. So it's probably not fancy enough for your cook-off, Zip, but just in case. It is really delicious to eat a whole mess of, especially when you make your own pitas on the grill to go with. Also if it seems like it was written for dumbs, it's because I wrote this for my brother years ago and copied and pasted it just now from my email.
    1 package boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 medium yellow onion, diced (I sometimes use whatever onions are around, EXCEPT - no scallions or leeks or shallots, they're too wimpy)
    3-6 tomatoes, quartered or eighth'ed (for a regular batch, I tend to use four on-the-vine regular tomatoes, but if what's lying around are cherry, or roma, or those little round ones in the big groups, grape... it doesn't matter as long as it is a TOMATO and it can be cut at least in half. Just choose your amount and chop based on a same-as-four-vine-tomatoes-cut-in-quarters scale)
    1 tsp salt
    1 (or two) tsp cayenne pepper
    4-5 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and diced
    1 tbsp garlic cloves, minced (maybe more of this too, I really like ginger and garlic)
    1 tbsp ground coriander

One of the more tart/sour yogurts, or sour cream
    Pitas for serving

1) Prep work - chop your chicken breasts up into 1 1/2" chunks. Chop up your onion, your matoes, your garlic and your ginger. You're going to add most everything at the same time, so this is good to do beforehand.

2) Using a good-sized saute pan with about two inches of depth, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook it till most all of the sides are white. Don't worry if there are still pink bits.

3) Add the onion and let it saute with the chicken until it becomes slightly translucent, 2-5 minutes.

4) Add tomatoes, salt, cayenne, ginger, garlic and coriander.

5) Stir over a medium heat for about 30 minutes, until tomatoes have lost most of their shape. If it looks like it's drying out and the juices are evaporating too quickly, put a lid on the pan and turn the heat down a leeeeettle bit.

6) Serve with pita bread or naan and the yogurt or sour cream.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Hey guys, I got me some sweet potato because I've been craving it, but never having cooked it before I'm unsure about what to do with them.
    Any suggestions? :D

Spicy Sweet Potato Gratin

3 medium sweet potatoes
    4 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
    salt and pepper
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream

slice sweet potatoes thin and layer in a buttered casserole dish. on top of each layer sprinkle seasonings and add dabs of butter. Once you get to the top, add whatever seasoning remains, whatever butter remains, and pour on the cream.

Now jiggle the pan to make sure the cream distributes as even as possible. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove foil, bake another 20-30 minutes or until brown on top and delicious all the way through.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    seriously, page 3?

yall slackin

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Tell me about the cheese, Dan.

• Options
    Lazy pizza night

But making chicken soup from scratch Wed, so looking forward to coming home from work to the apt smelling like chicken stock

This discussion has been closed.