As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    what considerations should i make for responsible fish picking?

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    How high on the food chain is it? How sustainable is it? How much do you like heavy metal poisoning?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »

Monteray Bay Aquarium has a good guide

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »

Monteray Bay Aquarium has a good guide

oh man this is excellent, it even has a regional pocket guide!

thanks

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    You can' take my cans of tuna from me! D:

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    thanks for that link, usagi! I love seafood and would like to be eating it for a long time.

in other food news, I will be going to one of my favorite denver restaurants when my parents are in town this weekend. so excited! http://www.domorestaurant.com/

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    No prob! I haven't used them but the phone apps look handy too

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Sushi time! I am about to depart and take a ride on the Sushi Train! <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO9AxSSKd9A

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    The fish stuff sounds good
    I'll just bake up some tilapia then

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Just

Frowning up a storm at all you fish eaters

Don't forget to pick your fish responsibly!

Easier said than done. I bought red zone cod at whole foods once, and the monger and I had a short conversation that amounted to "it's already dead, and if it doesn't sell, it's going to be trash, so you might as well eat it. Maybe frown a little bit while eating it."

Tam wrote: »
    The fish stuff sounds good
    I'll just bake up some tilapia then

Watch for country of origin. Asian tilapia farming is highly suspect right now.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    That fish guide app is rad but it's rough that so many of the same kind of fish can be great or terrible depending on where it's from and how it was caught

I think of that episode of Portlandia with the farm... Have to ask for the fish pedigree before eating it

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Just

Frowning up a storm at all you fish eaters

Don't forget to pick your fish responsibly!

Easier said than done. I bought red zone cod at whole foods once, and the monger and I had a short conversation that amounted to "it's already dead, and if it doesn't sell, it's going to be trash, so you might as well eat it. Maybe frown a little bit while eating it."
    I love how he doesn't understand the economy of his own store.

No, if you don't buy it, and he throws it out, he won't buy it again because he doesn't want to lose money.

• Options
    Well that was a wonderful meal from the sea I just had. Yay sushi! \o/

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    my birthday is next week.

I think I'm going to go across the road to Whole Foods and get a pile of seafood and cheeses and just induldge and pretend, for at least one night that I'm a real boy who can eat food.

I saw some conch there last week. Maybe I'll make some fritters. And some nice nice scallops maybe.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    And then Monica will try them and decide they're gross, and you'll die a little inside.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    i decided to make this today while i'm home and have access to cooking stuff

seems like it's coming out too sweet and too spicy for my tastes (and probably everyone else in the family too) so next time i'll be skipping out on the brown sugar and seeding the jalapenos (i probably wouldve done the latter anyway because once i realized i'd just gone ahead and dumped all the seeds in i knew it was probably gonna be too spicy)

but this is significant because i'm pretty sure this is the first thing i've cooked entirely on my own (other than parents providing ingredients) that was not pasta and/or hamburger helper!

at least, y'know, if "dumping a bunch of junk into a slow cooker" counts as "cooking"

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    I have to have meat of some kind. I am far to carnivorous for just veggies and fruit in a meal.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Baked beans are so sweet anyway I can't imagine putting them in a chili, much less adding sugar on top of that. I always just use a can of black beans and a can of red kidney beans in my chili, maybe double up on the black beans when I didn't eat meat, otherwise minus the sweet stuff in that it looks like an ok recipe. Chili is pretty super easy! And if you serve it with cheese or sour cream or yogurt (I guess) it'll cut the heat some and make it still edible for you so you aren't tossing what you just made.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I love fruit and veg

I just wish there was a wider variety of it available here

Gettin' fucking sick of winter vegetables and tangerines, and strawberries are already over

Now it is "Sick Nasty Yellow Melon" season

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Apparently they are a kind of muskmelon, I've only known them by their Korean name for this whole time.

Wikipedia has a picture, though

koreachamoeorientalmelo.jpg

These guys are just super, super gross

Also incidentally I ate at that store in the background on Sunday!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It is mango season here.

And coconut.

And plums.

And peaches.

All of the good ones.

• Options
    It's cool

Now I hate you

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Its not the first time I have been hated because of my plums.

• Options
    more like raisins

(this is the part where I make a slam dunk gesture and ride off on my ten-speed)

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    THEY AREN'T IN SEASON DAMNIT.

• Options
    Should have called your vagina a bitter melon, missed opportunities.

• Options
    Five fruits that I will readily eat alone are, mangoes, papaya, oranges, kiwis, and star fruit. Coconuts and bananas are also plants that I will consume in mass with out meat as a between meal snack.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    St. Patrick's Day is tomorrow, folks! Which means I'm cooking. How much am I cooking?

We'll have approximately 10 pounds of colcannon, 25-30 pounds of corned beef and three loaves of irish soda bread.

All for 12 people. I can't fucking wait.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mangoes are fuckin' awesome.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i needa reseason my pan its being sticky and whatever and has brown gunk or whatever

i assume i should like super clean it first to get rid of gunk and then season it

poo
  • Options
    I am torn, I really want to go out and eat and drink on St. Patrick's day, but early that following morning I will have to get up and drive to western Kansas to chase. Chasing storms with a hangover is never a fun idea. :(

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh gee, we should cook up a nice corned brisket this weekend.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I just made a pretty bootleg Philly: subbed in roast beef for steak and a hot dog bun for bread and it was still very delicious.
    Wish I'd taken a pic.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    St Patrick's day, you say? Sounds like a good day for tacos to me.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    i needa reseason my pan its being sticky and whatever and has brown gunk or whatever

i assume i should like super clean it first to get rid of gunk and then season it

Yeah. Just warm, soapy water should do the trick. And make sure it's totally dry before you throw it in the oven again

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Can I request a corned beef crockpot/dutch oven recipe? Maybe with some baby potatoes?

• Options
    I have a recipe but it's a stovetop in a pot type thing.

Could it work in a slowcooker? Maybe? But I won't be responsible for whatever it is that comes out at the end unless it's awesome. Then it's because of me.

• Options
    Here we go:

You're going to need:

Big ass pot
    4-5 pound Corned beef (did it come with one of those seasoning packets?)
    3 bay leaves
    2 large onions (chopped)
    7 gloves of garlic (roughly chopped)
    handful of peppercorns (whole)...figure a few tablespoons
    2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per pound of beef.

Put everything in a pot (even the seasoning packet that came with it), fill the pot with water until the brisket is pretty much covered and then set that sucker to boil. Once it boils, scrape the scum away and bring it down to a solid simmer. You'll have to simmer it anywhere between 2.5 to 3 hours depending on your piece of beef. Essentially, you want it to be fork tender. Keep descumming while it's cooking.

This will not be pretty. This will not smell pretty.

After it's done, pull it from the pot and let it cool a bit. This is important because trying to cut up super hot corned beef will end in a bit of a disaster unless you have surgically sharp knives. While it is cooling, feel free to slice off the slab of fat that is most likely still attached to the meat. You don't want that. Your dog may.

Then, you just slice it thin and against the grain. Good by itself. Great with mustard. Better between two slices of rye bread (no seeds) with thousand island dressing, swiss cheese and sauerkraut.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Awesome , thanks Doc. I am going to make way too much food tomorrow.

• Options
    Dude...I'm cooking about 30 lbs of corned beef and 10 pounds of colcannon.

This discussion has been closed.