As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Who was it that's been reading Monster Hunter International?

Because I picked up Larry Correia's Hard Magic and been reading that, I've thoroughly enjoyed it, got about a hundred pages left to go.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Anybody ever read Invisible Man? I think it might be the best book I've ever read in that it made me feel alternatively angry and sad and whatever other emotional state it wanted me to be in. Like, it's not my favorite book by far but it might be the best written one I've ever read.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Finished Redemption Ark, started Cloud Atlas.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

let me know what you think

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Well the first section just...stopped. Wasn't really expecting that but then I haven't really tried to learn about the book before reading it. Seemed like the proper way to approach it. Like it so far.

captaink on
  • Options
    Well the first section just...stopped. Wasn't really expecting that but then I haven't really tried to learn about the book before reading it.

that'll make sense in a bit

• Options
    Yeah it doesn't bother me. I'm a Lost watcher. Stories being told non-chronologically are fun.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Just finished Terminal World, didn't find it nearly as good as Reynolds' other books. The world had some promise but he didn't explore it enough, and the main character was really hard to care about.

Didn't have any of my unread books with me so impulse-bought the first Malazan from the Kindle store. Been a while since I read any fantasy except ASoIaF, it'll be interesing to see if I like it.

Flarne on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I'm reading roland barthes' mythologies

insightful stuff, mannnnnnnn

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Flarne wrote: »
    Just finished Terminal World, didn't find it nearly as good as Reynolds' other books. The world had some promise but he didn't explore it enough, and the main character was really hard to care about.

Didn't have any of my unread books with me so impulse-bought the first Malazan from the Kindle store. Been a while since I read any fantasy except ASoIaF, it'll be interesing to see if I like it.

The more Reynolds I read, the more I realize he's an Idea Guy, and not a Character Guy. Terminal World had a pretty good idea, but he wanted to write a romantic adventure story, not explore the idea.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

Because I picked up Larry Correia's Hard Magic and been reading that, I've thoroughly enjoyed it, got about a hundred pages left to go.

I read one of them, the last one actually, and might pick up the other two. I started Hard Magic but it seemed dumb as hell and didn't grab me so I dropped in for something else. I might pick it back up again if you really think it's good.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

I read one of them, the last one actually, and might pick up the other two. I started Hard Magic but it seemed dumb as hell and didn't grab me so I dropped in for something else. I might pick it back up again if you really think it's good.

I didn't really start liking it until I was about six chapters in, but I really enjoyed the alt-history take, and the Depression era stuff, and the magic powers. It turned out to be a hell of an action packed book. I also didn't realize that they had a glossary in the back until I was over 3/4 of the way through with it, trying to figure out how much I had left.

But yeah, I ordered Spell Bound, and the most recent Monster Hunter book that was just released, and Low Town, so I've got some reading to do.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

let me know what you think

I'm on the final 30 pages and it's been excellent.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I finished Helmet of Horror last night

I don't know if I understood it

Like, I think I got one or two layers of it

But that was fucking bizarre

• Options
    Finished Cloud Atlas. I'll make a longer post when I'm not on my tablet. I liked it as a collection of stories and as a structure but I wasn't blown away by its profundity.

• Options
    Finished Cloud Atlas. I'll make a longer post when I'm not on my tablet. I liked it as a collection of stories and as a structure but I wasn't blown away by its profundity.

best characters go

I say Sonmi Zachary and Frobisher

• Options
    Frobisher by a lot.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Just started Way of Kings in audiobook format

I actually am a huge fan of magicsturbation in writing, as a huge D&D nerd, so I loved the hell out of the first few chapters but Michael Kramer sounds like he is about to fall the fuck asleep at all times. Ugh, I think I might actually have to READ a book

UGH

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    You guys

The sequel to John Dies at the End, This Book is Full of Spiders, comes out SO SOON, Oct 2. I can't wait.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what book I want to be reading right now

I have a big ol' stack next to my bed

And each night I pick a different one and they are all equally unappealing

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    What're you itching for, genre-wise?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I don't really know

I think I'll eventually start reading one of these history books (lined up right now I believe is a history of dueling, a John Wilkes Booth bio, and a book on a Jewish psychic employed by the Nazis), but I was kind of hoping to break things up with something light in the wake of my last book

And the lighter stuff I have has just been woefully unappealing

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    You got an e-device?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Naw. Probably should, for the amount I read and the amount I want to be a travelling gypsy, but I'm still too attached to my shelves and shelves of books.

• Options
    Anyway the lighter stuff I've been reading has been The Three Musketeers which is still awesome. And hilarious.

You could also try Berlin Noir because they are my current everyone-read project, and are quick reads. Or I'm also currently reading the series the show Bones is based on which is pretty fascinating from a forensic mystery perspective even though I don't identify that strongly with the protagonist. Because the author is really a forensic anthropologist so it's all super-accurate. Oh yeah and I also read Light Boxes which is super-pretty. And very very short.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    So Cloud Atlas was a fine book, but I think I was expecting a bit too much from it. I was hoping the six stories would tie up and into each other in interesting and significant ways. They really don't, each one really stands by itself for the most part. I think I was hoping for something more like Hyperion, which I would say is a better book, still.

On each individual story:
    Adam Ewing: This one was okay. Had me reaching for my dictionary which is uncommon, and hard to do, frankly. I would say this is a Melville story? Or almost something like Darwin, which I haven't actually read. Didn't get a whole lot out of this one, other than Adam Ewing is an okay guy, and most everyone else is some degree of jerk. Except Autua.

Robert Frobisher: My favorite. Mr. Frobisher is quite a likable rapscallion, and I enjoyed all of his misadventures and wittiness. And it has a nice and sad ending.

Luisia Rey: I felt like this one tied in the least to the other stories thematically. It reads pretty much like a conspiracy thriller, which are totally common these days. Probably the easiest and most exciting to read, although remembering who was who from one half to the second took some effort. An entertaining read, but not much meat on its bones.

Timothy Cavendish: I wasn't feeling this one through the first half. Cavendish was kind of a whiny old jerk. I think his imprisonment and escape did his character some good, it was much more fun in the back half. A generally funny story, it feels like someone already made this into a movie. I kept seeing an aged Colin Firth as Cavendish. Very British.

Sonmi-451:Competes with Frobisher for my favorite section. I really liked the interview format, learning about this future world, an unraveling what went on to bring her to this point. This section should be plenty flashy for the movie.

Zachry: Phew, the dialect. Reading this part got to be a chore at points. It was an interesting take on the post-apocalyptic world though.

Is there any good criticism of it? I'd really like to read someone talk about themes and motifs and such.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i'm trying really hard to like Monster Hunter International because it's a cool book but about the time the dude literally refers to multiple black people as Blacks, with a capital B, i'm like uhhhh could you sound like more of a backwards ding dong

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    and right on the heels of that is an old southern guy basically bitchin about damn liberals and their Monsters' Rights Groups and i'm suddenly really uncomfortable

but goddammit i wanna read about a dude shooting draculas

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I wiki'd the author
    Located in Utah, Correia now spends his time as a writer and accountant, as well a part-time firearms instructor.

Heh heh heh

EDIT: Oh wait, here's the author's Entire Life Story

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    so i'm reading jonathan strange and it's fucking great
    i'm not super crazy about victorian lit myself but how does someone not enjoy this book

• Options
    I don't know! I love that book to bits!

I think the prose style really turns some people way off. But it's very in keeping with a lot of my favourite authors, so.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    all i want is a a book with footnotes about other books that don't actually exist
    and fantastical things described in a sober, detailed manner

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Snork wrote: »
    all i want is a a book with footnotes about other books that don't actually exist

Jorge Luis Borges wrote a lot about fictional books.

"Tlon, Uqbar Urbis Tertius"
    "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim"
    "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote"

All of those are excellent

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I read "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" just a few weeks ago and

it was something, that's for sure

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I've read some of Jorge Luis Borges and I'm a bit embarrassed to say that some of the stories went over my head

Like if I ever meet his ghost I'd be all sheepish and like "Mr. Borges, sir, you're a great author and all, but I'm sorry that I couldn't appreciate some of your works."

But I did like "Asterion", "The Garden of Forking Paths" and "Emma Zunz"!

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I've been reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I like the change in perspective during one of my favorite periods of history, but there is something about her writing style that just makes it really slow reading for me. I don't know what it is.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Also, I just found out my mother had dinner with R.L. Stine last night.

How random.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    she had a chance to send a knife right through his twisted heart

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My library just got a book called, I shit you not, WWW.COM

The description:
    "As the internet expands and creates a playground, Ramon Ramirez & Daniel Munger surreptitiously slither to the top by creating an inconspicuous organization, The Secret Society, which makes them the most powerful and feared men in America; and they only have 1 rule: There Are No Rules! A simple click can get you sex, money, and even murdered! Unexpectedly, things change when Ramon and Daniel's fate leads them to cross paths with a charismatic group of ambitious women paired with sinister talents. These women have a master plan to outsmart the smartest and do the unachievable. Take down The Secret Soceity from the bottom to the top, One by One. Open WWW.COM and see Chance, Seven, Justice, & Patience validate the dangers of the click into the unknown"

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have no idea what I just read. It looks like it's in English but I dunno.

This discussion has been closed.