As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    Ahahaha

My best friend just got to a certain special part in Storm of Swords. Ahahaha
    The Red Wedding. Oh Christ. She is so mad. She says she doesn't even particularly like Robb that much, but she is still so pissed about what happened.

I'm a terrible friend.

oh yeah

well, my girlfriend's reading Game of Thrones
    she's only like a third through it, and she says 'Ned dies, doesn't he'

my response?

'No! What? Man, you're way off track if that's where you think it's going.'

I told you not to trust me

She knew way before she started reading the book that this was going to happen. Because I told her about when the first season of Game of Thrones started and someone commented that
    Ned had a good head on his shoulder. And how everyone in the thread was freaking out behind spoilers about the terrible lie that was just told to the unsuspecting people of the thread.

the real game of thrones is lying to people's faces just to shock them more when shit goes down

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Ahahaha

My best friend just got to a certain special part in Storm of Swords. Ahahaha
    The Red Wedding. Oh Christ. She is so mad. She says she doesn't even particularly like Robb that much, but she is still so pissed about what happened.

I'm a terrible friend.

While it's a great series with some really amazing writing and characters

I'm pretty sure the real reason it's gotten so popular through word of mouth is schadenfreude.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Probably, probably. Martin is a cruel, cruel bastard. To his characters, at least.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That fuckin part of that book man.

That part may have single-handedly made the decision for me to not finish the series until they're alllll published.

I need resolution with my horrible distress.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I am really, really uncomfortable at 50 Shades right now

it is so upsetting that so many people have read a book where the morals are absolutely reprehensible

I'm 70% through it and I'm pretty much running on pure momentum

• Options
    oh also

Anastasia has these two weird interior personifications

there's her 'subconscious' which is the boring rational one that yells at her for being dumb when she's into Christan being a jerk to her

and there's her 'inner goddess' which is basically the way she manifests her arousal

eg
    "Were you hoping for something more exotic?" [asks Christian]
    My inner goddess pops her head above the parapet.
    "Oh no. I've had enough exotic for one day." My inner goddess pouts at me, failing miserably to hide her disappointment.

it's

hmm

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    YaYa I'm pretty sure the descriptor you're looking for is 'bad' - it's bad.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options

nah that's too straightforward

it's upsettingly awful, leaving a smoldering hole in me where my subconscious sits weeping

oh no what is happening to me

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

I read the first couple of chapters and just thought it was unmitigated shit

I really try not to be a book snob but man, it's all just so bad

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »

I read the first couple of chapters and just thought it was unmitigated shit

I really try not to be a book snob but man, it's all just so bad

man you didn't even get to the good bad stuff

right now Anastasia's walking around with a couple of metal balls in her before Christian spanks her

this is a bargain they've struck

Anastasia gets metal balls and spanking and if she puts up with that Christian will reveal something about his personal life

yeah

yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhh

• Options
    Like I am totally able to say that sub/dom stuff can be hot as hell, you know, when it's done in a healthy and responsible, consensual way

But the relationship in that book is not healthy and is in fact deeply disturbing, based on what I've read

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Like I am totally able to say that sub/dom stuff can be hot as hell, you know, when it's done in a healthy and responsible, consensual way

But the relationship in that book is not healthy and is in fact deeply disturbing, based on what I've read

yup

I actually was thinking that this same basic concept could be really interesting if it was handled by a capable writer

I'd like to read about relatively sexually experienced character engaging in this sort of activity for the first time and exploring the sort of people that are into that kind of thing

instead we have Bella surrogate and Edward surrogate

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i haven't read it but don't they, like, meet in a hardware store because he's buying rope

you know, for kinky sex

because that's where you buy your bondage rope, at the hardware store

• Options
    i haven't read it but don't they, like, meet in a hardware store because he's buying rope

you know, for kinky sex

ehhhhhhh

not really

she's filling in for a friend to do an interview with him for the student newspaper

afterwards he 'conveniently' shows up at the hardware store she works in and yes buys a bunch of bondagey stuff without really saying why

fun fact: I marked the above with spoiler tags originally

• Options
    edited September 2012

you know, for kinky sex

ehhhhhhh

not really

she's filling in for a friend to do an interview with him for the student newspaper

afterwards he 'conveniently' shows up at the hardware store she works in and yes buys a bunch of bondagey stuff without really saying why

fun fact: I marked the above with spoiler tags originally

the perfect excuse

yes hello i would like these lengths of rope and your longest, hardest screw

i don't need any wood though because i've already got some

eh? eh? how bout a spanking

Crimson King on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    I am really, really uncomfortable at 50 Shades right now

it is so upsetting that so many people have read a book where the morals are absolutely reprehensible

I'm 70% through it and I'm pretty much running on pure momentum

a friend of buttlady's is a professional domme and she utterly loathes that book because it paints everything in a really fucked up light

• Options

yeah pretty much

see the thing is, in a healthy relationship, the sub is the one who's really in control, because they're the one with the power to say "this is not a thing i will do", before and during the actual act

50 shades?

he's up in her shit about how much she eats, before they're even in any kind of a relationship, and she just gives in

that's not a healthy d/s relationship

that's called being fucking weak

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so I'm a hundred pages into The Idiot and man

I did not expect this book to be so funny

• Options
    Christian Grey's biological mother was a crack whore

oh man

this book

we are through the looking glass here people

• Options
    stop fucking

for the love of god

stop fucking, you goddamn idiots

go have an adventure

go be dramatic

aaaaaarrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    but yaya

the fucking IS the adventure

for her anyway

which is kind of sad, that her idea of an adventure is utterly surrendering her free will to sate someone else's lust

• Options
    mostly it's a really shitty stupid take on s&m that teaches people all the wrong lessons about what it actually involves

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    For that matter, I love reading a book where the characters have deeply fucked up unhealthy relationships and think it's just peachy because they're deeply fucked up.

But the author needs to be in on the joke.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    For that matter, I love reading a book where the characters have deeply fucked up unhealthy relationships and think it's just peachy because they're deeply fucked up.

But the author needs to be in on the joke.

yeah

yeah!

also, the writing is just wretched

it's flowery where it should be straight-forward, and it seems like pretty much all actual raw emotion is hidden by constant interior monologuing or shitty metaphor

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    I was terrified to accidentally learn a few weeks ago that my mom was reading 50 Shades. I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever learn.

I was wrong. I recently learned she's reading the sequel. That means she enjoyed 50 Shades enough to buy the second book.

Ugh.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    My wife bought the trilogy the other day.
    I have nothing more to say on this matter.

• Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    I think she wants to tell you something.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That is an exception I would make. If my wife wanted to read them I'd silently judge the hell out of her but if they got her juices flowing then hot damn, read away sweety. Read them every night. Read them out loud.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    That is an exception I would make. If my wife wanted to read them I'd silently judge the hell out of her but if they got her juices flowing then hot damn, read away sweety. Read them every night. Read them out loud.

You are a bolder man than I.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I will not snob a book if doing so prevents me from sexing. My word snobbery doesn't extend that far.

• Options
    well, I finished it

she breaks up with him and it ends with her crying alone in her room

and then there's two more books

sigh

I went into this trying to investigate and learn and maybe understand the hype

didn't happen

also The Casual Vacancy came out so let's all read that!

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    My wife read 50 shades. Her words: "This is the first time I have read a book, and wish I hadn't spent money to buy it."

• Options
    so

what are the other two books about

someone needs to step up and read this shit

not me, i read Cum For Bigfoot for you sick fucks, it's not my turn

• Options
    edited September 2012
    mostly it's a really shitty stupid take on s&m that teaches people all the wrong lessons about what it actually involves

I have a good friend who is deeply into that community. Apparently everyone hates those books because of what they're having to deal with now.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    Buttlord wrote: »
    so

what are the other two books about

someone needs to step up and read this shit

not me, i read Cum For Bigfoot for you sick fucks, it's not my turn

she gets back together with him, I'd assume

I'm torn between letting my girlfriend telling me what happens and just looking it up

• Options
    i already tried wiki yaya

someone has to read it

and if none of you weak-bellied sons of bitches will do it then i will

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    can't we just be happy with the gilbert gottfried reading of it and ignore it otherwise

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    can't we just be happy with the gilbert gottfried reading of it and ignore it otherwise

know your enemy

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

Wait. What?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i've posted it roughly a brazillian times so just gonna put it behind a spoiler

This discussion has been closed.