As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Bat-Thread: Between The Batarangs And The Bat Shark-Repellant

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think Tim is going to be Batman, and the case was made partly in the flashbacks to 52. There's still a great deal Tim has to learn about, and who's teaching him all this stuff? Dick is. As much as he wouldn't want to, Dick would be ready to go at a moment's notice, The Robin RIP issues go to great lengths to show all these things Tim wouldn't know about if Dick hadn't taught him, just as he was taught by Bruce.

Next, there's Batman 666, wherein Babs is -really- pissed off and gunning for Damien because she holds him responsible for Batman's death. So sometime down the line he fails to help Batman and dies, and that Batman isn't Bruce since he's out of the picture by that point. So you have Bruce's costume, another Batman costume, and a Robin costume. That other Batman was most likely the man she loved, which would explain why she's so pissed at him, and that would be Dick.

Of course I could be wrong, but both Tim and Dick are both oddly absent in that future, and I had assumed that the Batman that was killed working with Damien was Dick since Dick is the appropriate age and has a strong lasting connection to Babs. Then there's little things, like Dick's got his own "Batcave" now in the museum, and his safehouse network, he's well respected by his peers, and has been on the shortlist for first string JLA multiple times, and led them for that little while when the first string were lost in time. Oh, he's already been Batman before, can't forget that.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If Tim became Red Robin, I'd hope for them to at least redesign the costume.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    So Robin is the only RIP tie-in that actually ties-in to RIP. Even still, I like the stories in Detective Comics (although Nguyen draws Robin way too small. He's like half of Nightwing's height) and Nightwing.

It seems like Detective Comics is tying in a bit more with the Zatanna-Catwoman-Jezebel stuff, but yeah, pretty tenuous. Agreed on Nguyen's art; Tim looks like he's 20 in Batman, 16 in Robin, and 12 in Detective Comics. Wish we could see a bit more consistency there.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Tim looks older in Robin than he does in Batman, although he seemed to fluctuate in age in the last issue of Batman

In Robin he looks like he could easily fill the role of Nightwing (WHUH-OH!)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought it was odd that in Robin, Batman says that Tim will have to carry on without him, and that Stephanie will have to help him. Almost seemed to foreshadow a Tim/Batman & Stephanie/Robin combo.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I wouldn't mind if both Dick and Tim became replacement Batmen, with Tim taking on the Red Robin identity.

But like I said, I hope the costume for Red Robin changes regardless of who puts it on.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think Tim is ready to be Batman now. Sure, he won't be as polished as Bruce, but that's because Bruce has had 30 years of experience. And I think Stephanie would make a great Robin. They ought to have a girl Robin IMO. Maybe that will help get past the whole pedophilia thing that everyone always jokes about with Batman and his Boy Wonder.

Although Steph's outfit as Spoiler is definitely much cooler than any of the previous Robin costumes. I'd want to see a really awesome new redesign if she's gonna be Robin. They should get Darwyn Cooke to do a really great one, since his Catwoman is so good.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    What did Lying in the Gutters say was going to happen? Did they have a source?

he said Nightwing would become Batman, and Nightwing would turn into "Red Robin" and that Robin's solo book would become "Batman & Robin"

I really hope we don't get a "Batman & Robin" because it would be pointless. We already have Batman and Detective Comics which both feature Robin as a sidekick.

Well thats why I was saying if any title becomes Batman & Robin it should just be a renaming of the "Batman" title

I'd prefer it to be renamed "Robin"... it could like gueststar batman every issue, but be robins book. If that didn't make sense, blame the painkillers from the surgery.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I think Tim is ready to be Batman now. Sure, he won't be as polished as Bruce, but that's because Bruce has had 30 years of experience. And I think Stephanie would make a great Robin. They ought to have a girl Robin IMO. Maybe that will help get past the whole pedophilia thing that everyone always jokes about with Batman and his Boy Wonder.

Although Steph's outfit as Spoiler is definitely much cooler than any of the previous Robin costumes. I'd want to see a really awesome new redesign if she's gonna be Robin. They should get Darwyn Cooke to do a really great one, since his Catwoman is so good.

Spoiler definitely shouldn't be Robin's sidekick. Strike a blow for gender equality and call them crime-fighting partners with benefits.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You mean she shouldn't be his sidekick because she has the same amount of experience and training? Or b/c women shouldn't ever be men's sidekicks? I'd be fine with her sidekicking him with an understanding that it's not a long-term thing, just a while as an apprentice-ship. I'd prefer Batgirl and Steph teaming up though, sigh.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    maybe it'll be superman, like in that awesome episode of the superman animated series where he dresses up as batman and beats the everliving hell out of bane.
    Just out of interest Servo, do you know the name of that ep? I'd like to get it on iTunes.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    maybe it'll be superman, like in that awesome episode of the superman animated series where he dresses up as batman and beats the everliving hell out of bane.
    Just out of interest Servo, do you know the name of that ep? I'd like to get it on iTunes.

i believe the episode is called "knight time", from season 3

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Buy the DVDs, Spoony "U turn" Singleton.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

i believe the episode is called "knight time", from season 3
    Thanks Servo. If I like it enough I'll probably get the DVDs at some point too.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    and the best Chuck Norris movie

RIP Jonathan Brandis

you were ripped from us too soon

I strangely remember Pat Morita being in that movie? I'm not sure though. If he was then sidekicks should be a fitting memorial to both of them.

Also, them showing Robin's growth from "boy wonder" to someone who can actually intimidate the criminals he's fighting which is a very big Bat-requirement. Although if he did take over as Batman, I'd hate to see him in detective because they'd have to show the struggles of batman along with his life as a ten year old

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know, Detective Comics Hush story might be more of a tie-in than I originally thought. I didn't really catch this bit of dialogue until I re-read the issue.

Spoilered since it is this week's issue:
    Hush on cellphone: "Mentor? Pupil. Whenever you're ready"
    Unknown Voice: "Excellent, Pupil. The patient is being collected."

Could this bit of dialogue indicate that Hush is in league with the Black Glove?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    You know, Detective Comics Hush story might be more of a tie-in than I originally thought. I didn't really catch this bit of dialogue until I re-read the issue.

Spoilered since it is this week's issue:
    Hush on cellphone: "Mentor? Pupil. Whenever you're ready"
    Unknown Voice: "Excellent, Pupil. The patient is being collected."

Could this bit of dialogue indicate that Hush is in league with the Black Glove?
    Uh, look where the Unknown Voice is coming from and then read the next couple of pages. It's Scarecrow and he's kidnapping some kid. I've no clue who the kid is or why they're kidnapping him though.

The reveal raises some questions though. If Scarecrow has been in contact with Hush all this time, does Scarecrow know who Batman is?

I'm guessing that the Hush story will tie into Batman RIP later on in the story.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    People who know Batman's secret ID generally don't tell other people. Information devalues as it becomes common knowledge, after all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, is Knightfall good or bad? I remember reading the novelization as a kid and thinking how awesome it all was, but I just took a look at the first trade today and, somehow, it didn't seem like it would live up to my expectations.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    People who know Batman's secret ID generally don't tell other people. Information devalues as it becomes common knowledge, after all.
    Yes, but Bruce Wayne is worth kabatrillions

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am starting to think DC is putting the "Batman RIP" banner on any story that remotely mentions the phrase "Black glove"

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, but it is putting it on all of the Batman-related books, which pretty much makes sense, I suppose.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    I really liked this issue of Robin. I think Nicieza has a great grasp on the character and it flows really well with Dixon's stuff. It reminded me of the earlier issues of the series.

I'm saddened by the preview cover, not only because it changes the previously planned story (Cluemaster finding out about Stephanie), but what it's changing to
    It gives more weight to the "Red Robin" rumors.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

But if Scarecrow is Hush's mentor then why wouldn't he tell him?

As for Nicieza and Robin, I totally agree. He had a couple of really good issues on Nightwing last year too so hopefully he's sticking around and isn't just a fill-in writer.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    he has at least the next year's worth of stories written

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So did Dixon!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It looks like Mike Bagley will be wrapping up "Trinity" in time to jump onto the new "Batman & Robin" DCU series next year when "Robin" is renamed. Bagley has been drawing Batman for a year, and as Bagley is most famous for his teenage Spider-Man series, latching himself onto the DC Universe's most prominent teenager feels the right thing to do.

Ugh, I hate that this "Batman & Robin" idea keeps getting supported. I would be fine with it as long as it's not still Tim as Robin.

And I'm not a fan of Bagley's Batman. I've gotten used to him in Trinity by now, but it was startling at first. Although who knows what Batman will look like post-RIP so that criticism might be unnecessary

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think it'll still be Tim as Robin

I doubt they would make a Batman and Robin book and then still have a Robin book on the side

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The rumor is that Robin will be retitled "Batman & Robin"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    unrelated, but I wish they'd take Huntress out of Birds of Prey. I love the series, but she had such a great dynamic with every Gotham character and her character is the exact opposite now. Plus she's only ever seen in the BoP series, and I'm sure that won't change now that they're based in "Platinum Flatts" instead of Metropolis/Gotham/wherever

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just wish they'd put the Birds back in Gotham and make it a true Bat-family book again.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Have people seen the Batman #679 preview?

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=20624

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://kidscomicbooks.blogspot.com/
    Robin is a cool superhero because he gets to hang out with Batman and beat up bad guys but he also isn’t a grown up. I like that.

What I didn’t like is that Robin really didn’t get into any fights with anyone. He did meet with the Penguin and paid him to find Batman, which was neat, but I thought it would have been better if he got into a fight with him. The only people that Robin got to fight were a bunch of regular crooks that weren’t anything special. I’d like to see Robin get to fight some cooler bad guys like Batman does.

It was a little hard to read when the story took place in the cave and when Nightwing and Robin were out of costume talking to the bad guys and trying to make deals. It was tough to follow at some places and it was a bit boring except for the parts where Robin was in the city trying to find Batman.

He also reviews HULK #5. Loeb's popularity is starting to make some sense.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I wonder how this innocent child is responding to Batman being completely insane and strung out on meth and heroin.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I wonder how this innocent child is responding to Batman being completely insane and strung out on meth and heroin.

Bedclown.jpg

Can't sleep, Batman'll eat me...

If you should die before you wake..

AhAhaHAHAhAHAHAha!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »

Bedclown.jpg

Can't sleep, Batman'll eat me...

If you should die before you wake..

AhAhaHAHAhAHAHAha!
    Hello, Joe!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guessing you guys have already seen this variant cover for #678 but I'm putting it up here just for the few that haven't. Looks pretty nice.
    2cfs41k.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why is Batman stealing shoes?

WHY GOD WHY?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hobo Batman of Planet Crackhead

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Guessing you guys have already seen this variant cover for #678 but I'm putting it up here just for the few that haven't. Looks pretty nice.
    2cfs41k.jpg

o_O Anyone else think Frank Miller is ghost-writing this arc? I half-thought that was a All Star Batman cover...

Unco-ordinated on
This discussion has been closed.