The Bat-Thread: Between The Batarangs And The Bat Shark-Repellant

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    humble wrote: »
    ultimate spider-man is a completely different book

it has a lot of his personal life in it, and to an extent so does batman

how many people that get batman do you think also get robin, not that many. looking at our comic pulls at work a third of the people that get batman also get robin.

if the book was going to stay exactly the same, why would they even bother changing who batman is?
    Same reason they bothered killing superman off. You get a temporary boost in sales to people who don't normally read comics and the offhand chance that some of them will start to read comics regularly.

see317 on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    He's 18 though, they could easily just graduate him

but he is still 18

from a marketing and sales point of view dont you think they would have a greater success of making dick batman instead of tim

no, i don't think that follows logically at all. there's a billion superhero comics that star people who are even younger than 18

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    see317 wrote: »

how many people that get batman do you think also get robin, not that many. looking at our comic pulls at work a third of the people that get batman also get robin.

if the book was going to stay exactly the same, why would they even bother changing who batman is?
    Same reason they bothered killing superman off. You get a temporary boost in sales to people who don't normally read comics and the offhand chance that some of them will start to read comics regularly.

And the characters who replaced Superman were all very different.

And the last time they replaced Batman, the replacement was also very different.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    see317 wrote: »

but the book wasn't exactly the same when superman died, was it? there was a whole thing about all the new supermen stepping up to take his place and yadda yadda.

edit- yess robos

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just toss Bruce in the Lazarus Pit (ala GENERATIONS), and give us an immortal Batman. Problem solved.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

but he is still 18

from a marketing and sales point of view dont you think they would have a greater success of making dick batman instead of tim

no, i don't think that follows logically at all. there's a billion superhero comics that star people who are even younger than 18

He's also supposedly been 18 for like 15 years now. I'm sure they could subtly age him a few years if they felt they needed to.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Have him sleep with Catwoman. That's probably the quickest way to turn a boy into a man.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

but he is still 18

yea but none of them are one of the flagship characters of a franchise

you could say invincible or ultimate spider-man but those books are made to be like that
    if you take the batman we have now, and then make tim batman and have the same stories that are in robin, then that book is drastically different.

i just don't think people will continue picking up the book. like when dini or morrison took a break from their runs on detective and batman, no one really wanted the fill ins.

humble on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why would the stories be the same as what we have in Robin? I mean, purely by virtue of taking the character out of the role of sidekick, the stories become different.

Also, making the lead character younger isn't tantamount to replacing an extremely popular writer with some random guy doing a fill in which has no bearing on the overarching storyline.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

but he is still 18

yea but none of them are one of the flagship characters of a franchise

you could say invincible or ultimate spider-man but those books are made to be like that
    if you take the batman we have now, and then make tim batman and have the same stories that are in robin, then that book is drastically different.

i just don't think people will continue picking up the book. like when dini or morrison took a break from their runs on detective and batman, no one really wanted the fill ins.

But if Tim becomes Batman then it won't be the same as Robin, will it? He'll have to take on a much greater responsibility, one that maybe he doesn't even want. He'd have to figure out whether he was going to be the same kind of Batman as Bruce, whether he'd be able to inspire the same kind of fear in criminals, or use his own methods. I dunno, I guess maybe Dick is more likely, but then Nightwing is a very well-established character in his own right at this point. Which isn't to say that they wouldn't change him of course.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why would the stories be the same as what we have in Robin? I mean, purely by virtue of taking the character out of the role of sidekick, the stories become different.

Also, making the lead character younger isn't tantamount to replacing an extremely popular writer with some random guy doing a fill in which has no bearing on the overarching storyline.

Tim is still Tim, he isn't Bruce. Is he going to goto the big art shows and other charity events? no in his off time he will probably be in school or dealing with the struggles of a teenager moving into adulthood. How many established readers can relate to that? I can look at the sales of Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man, and although Ultimate is drastically better in writing and art, more people get Amazing.

humble on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm not saying making Tim Batman would be a bad story.
    What I am saying is I think people who read Batman might drop it.

Might

I could be wrong, I am just goin on hunches from what i see our customers do

humble on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Tim is still Tim, he isn't Bruce. Is he going to goto the big art shows and other charity events? no in his off time he will probably be in school or dealing with the struggles of a teenager moving into adulthood. How many established readers can relate to that? I can look at the sales of Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man, and although Ultimate is drastically better in writing and art, more people get Amazing.

h...how many established readers do you think relate to the life of playboy billionaire bruce wayne?

what you're saying here is that the average comic book reader has less experience being an awkward teenager thrust into a position they don't fully understand, and more experience being the richest man on the planet.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

God knows I read Batman to see Bruce Wayne at art shows and charity events.

And I think it's hilarious that you think people will have an easier time relating to a multi-billionaire than a teenager.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

h...how many established readers do you think relate to the life of playboy billionaire bruce wayne?

what you're saying here is that the average comic book reader has less experience being an awkward teenager thrust into a position they don't fully understand, and more experience being the richest man on the planet.

i work at a comic store 35 hours a week
    we have almost 400 comic accounts between two stores, our customers usually range from the 22-40 range
    between the two, maybe 10 people get robin

everyone went through those things, but not a lot of people at my store read about them.
    maybe halifax is different then other places. judging by what we sell though this is why i think making tim as batman wouldn't be good

edit: i think people like reading those more then someone going to a highschool dance or a varsity football game

humble on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the words you said are "how many established readers can relate to that"

the answer is "all of them"

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    People don't get Robin because it's Robin

People will still buy Batman because it's Batman even with Tim in the suit. And Morrison will still be writing it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I mean, if it was just a matter of being a rich adult male rather than a punkass kid, Moon Knight would sell as much as Batman.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    well if you want to be picky no one can relate to a teenager doubling as a crime fighter, same as a biliionaire

humble on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    well if you want to be picky no one can relate to a teenager doubling as a crime fighter, same as a biliionaire

If you're being serious with this, you're being willfully self-delusional.

Tim Drake is objectively more relatable for oh I don't know the vast majority of human beings than Bruce Wayne ever will be. Period.

One has a life style which at least vaguely resembles that of an average person. The other does not at ALL. This isn't being picky, it's simple (should be) obvious fact.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    how many more copies of Nightwing do you sell vs Robin

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    nightwing doubles robin

edit: fine maybe my point about relating to the character was stupid, i meant more in age then anything. i look at my pulls for ultimate spidey vs those of amazing and amazing has waaaayy more

humble on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    thats because Amazing Spider-Man is amazing spider-man

as awesome as Ultimate Spider-Man is, it's not the flagship book.

Just like Batman is the flagship book, regardless of who is wearing the suit.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You might as well look at the books' overall sales.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    dangit Bale stop dissin' Robin in here

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    how am I dissing Robin

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    People don't get Robin because it's Robin

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That doesn't mean Robin sucks. It just means that interest in sidekicks is never high.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    but sidekicks are the best thing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    and the best Chuck Norris movie

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That doesn't mean Robin sucks. It just means that interest in sidekicks is never high.

yes this

I love Tim Drake, but of course a sattelite book like Robin isn't going to sell anywhere near as much as Batman

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    and the best Chuck Norris movie

RIP Jonathan Brandis

you were ripped from us too soon

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Speaking of Robin, today's issue #176 was fantastic. And there are still so many unanswered questions in this RIP storyline.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Such as?

(I mean yes, just wondering what you're curious about specifically)

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Such as?

Well for starters, we are 2 issues into the Detective Comics HUSH storyline, which bears the RIP logo, yet there is still no crossover at all. The stories are completely unrelated. How does Hush fit into RIP. That's one question.

Another question is a question that Tim actually asked in this week's Robin: Why is Batman ignoring all of his resources on this gig. He has contacts all over the city, nay all over the world that he could squeeze for information. He has a boy wonder, and an ex-boy wonder, and he has willfully chosen to not use any of that.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Such as?

Well for starters, we are 2 issues into the Detective Comics HUSH storyline, which bears the RIP logo, yet there is still no crossover at all. The stories are completely unrelated. How does Hush fit into RIP. That's one question.

it fits in with a nice sales bump due to the crossover event status

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Such as?

Another question is a question that Tim actually asked in this week's Robin: Why is Batman ignoring all of his resources on this gig. He has contacts all over the city, nay all over the world that he could squeeze for information. He has a boy wonder, and an ex-boy wonder, and he has willfully chosen to not use any of that.

About this issue of Robin, concerning the last page...
    Looks like someone found where the Red Robin costume was ditched. Think this validates the rumors from CBR about Nightwing and Robin's series getting name-changes in any way? And do you think it's Jason holding it?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    What did Lying in the Gutters say was going to happen? Did they have a source?

he said Nightwing would become Batman, and Nightwing would turn into "Red Robin" and that Robin's solo book would become "Batman & Robin"

I really hope we don't get a "Batman & Robin" because it would be pointless. We already have Batman and Detective Comics which both feature Robin as a sidekick.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    So Robin is the only RIP tie-in that actually ties-in to RIP. Even still, I like the stories in Detective Comics (although Nguyen draws Robin way too small. He's like half of Nightwing's height) and Nightwing.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    What did Lying in the Gutters say was going to happen? Did they have a source?

he said Nightwing would become Batman, and Nightwing would turn into "Red Robin" and that Robin's solo book would become "Batman & Robin"

I really hope we don't get a "Batman & Robin" because it would be pointless. We already have Batman and Detective Comics which both feature Robin as a sidekick.

Well thats why I was saying if any title becomes Batman & Robin it should just be a renaming of the "Batman" title

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.