As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Yeah, saying nerf Pudge is really reaching. It's down there with nerf Ursa and nerf SB. They're just pub heroes. Leave them be.

I agree with this, but one thing that absolutely shocked me is that Ursa is actually the hero with the highest win percentage of all the heroes in the game with 58,65% wins in a million matches. He is also fifth on average kills and sixth on average GPM. Again, not saying he needs a nerf, but I would not have guessed that since he has not done incredibly well in the games I have played. I guess a large part of his impact is that he usually gets Roshan uncontested before 15 minutes, and the extra gold and resurrection allows his team to get a crucial early advantage.

• Options
    Hoz wrote: »
    One of the worst Dota experiences I've had was playing mid against a good pudge with shadow demon. If you're playing any hero without any kind of escape, you're done. The only thing you can hope for is that he's bad with his hooks, and you need to get boots before bottle otherwise he'll just walk over and kill you.

But lately, every recent experience with playing against pudge has him getting a few good kills then becoming quickly irrelevant. His effectiveness is drastically mitigated once you're playing with people that know how to farm and don't die stupidly to roaming ganks. I'm surprised he's even picked in pro games, but apparently he is.

You do have an escape mechanism as SD, I am pretty sure that with good reflexes you can disrupt yourself before his hook hits. Everything else is sadly true though.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    One of the worst Dota experiences I've had was playing mid against a good pudge with shadow demon. If you're playing any hero without any kind of escape, you're done. The only thing you can hope for is that he's bad with his hooks, and you need to get boots before bottle otherwise he'll just walk over and kill you.

But lately, every recent experience with playing against pudge has him getting a few good kills then becoming quickly irrelevant. His effectiveness is drastically mitigated once you're playing with people that know how to farm and don't die stupidly to roaming ganks. I'm surprised he's even picked in pro games, but apparently he is.

Dude what? If you gave me a choice to play Pudge or Shadow Demon in that lane I'd pick Shadow Demon every time.
    Get 3 branches, get 2/3 kills get a bottle. If Pudge ever tries to get a last hit, you stack a Shadow Poison which gives you sight of him, so the hooks shouldn't be coming in a surprises ever.
    You also have disruption to cast on him if you get hooked before 6, which gives you 2.5 seconds of running away out of rot range, then 2 illusions to get in his way of chasing you.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Fuck guys, I meant shadow fiend. I got my shadows mixed up.

• Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    the signal of a great game is you know

ya dunk and shit

but then you land that one great hook that fucking seals the game

and then in all chat

theDUDEfuck: fucking mh

Man, I thought I wouldn't ever have to see that in DotA 2.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't know, I wouldn't hit any of Pudge's abilities, I just think he needs a bit less starting base health. I've been running necro against him and maxing my passive, which works well to shut him down early. But it's pretty ridiculous how easy mode he is. That's just my opinion and full disclosure, I'm not a pro Dota player or anything.

Ursa I'm fine with, he's a fairly one track hero, you know what he's gonna build, you know when he's going to rosh, and you know you need to kite him.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    i mean i wouldn't call pudge easy mode, he's only easy against bad players. same with ursa. these heroes are the definition of pub stomp, as woth wards and good map awareness pudge tapers off dramatically, and ursa won't be able to do anything late if he's kited (which inexperiened players often don't do)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I don't know, I wouldn't hit any of Pudge's abilities, I just think he needs a bit less starting base health. I've been running necro against him and maxing my passive, which works well to shut him down early. But it's pretty ridiculous how easy mode he is. That's just my opinion and full disclosure, I'm not a pro Dota player or anything.

Ursa I'm fine with, he's a fairly one track hero, you know what he's gonna build, you know when he's going to rosh, and you know you need to kite him.

are you actually maxing your passive first as necrolyte? that is pretty ineffective

percent damage is really, really bad early game, and is only good as it scales into late, the flat damage from your Q is ridonkulously better early

your Q is also the biggest reason to pick necrolyte as it makes you a fantastic pusher and you swing teamfights entirely in your team's favor between the aoe damage on them and the aoe heal on your team

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I picked that up in a guide, I do it mid lane against him because I can safely stand behind the creep wave while whittling down his health. And it does noticeably start to catch up to him. I don't want to use Q because I don't want to push the lane as it leaves me vulnerable to ganks from the river.

As I guess now that i'm thinking about it, I don't max it first usually, but I do prioritize it against health soaks.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    a passive damage aura will also push a lane, albeit uncontrollably. whereas with the Q you can choose when to push, which can be advantageous when you want to push to make it safe to get a rune/counter other pushes/knock over a tower/spin around in circles randomly etc. etc.

a4i9N.png
  • Options
    necrolyte's aura really is his weakest skill once you realize his true role is just to stay alive forever spamming his heal because its that good in pushing and teamfight situations

if you can stay alive and have the mana to cast your heal like 4 times in a teamfight, you should win

gotta be tank

secondarily, your aura is alright in that situation, but it really shouldn't be your main concern ever as necrolyte i feel

• Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    I don't know, I wouldn't hit any of Pudge's abilities, I just think he needs a bit less starting base health. I've been running necro against him and maxing my passive, which works well to shut him down early. But it's pretty ridiculous how easy mode he is.

If he's easy mode why don't you play him and easily win all your games?

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I just had one of the most frustrating games I've ever had.

The enemy team had a Nature's Prophet that went mid and lasthitted very well. Since he was on a lane he ignored Nature's Call and put a lot of levels into his teleport early. That combined with the Krob-Omni bot lane and Veno-Viper top meant he was teleporting around ganking, killing our courier, and pushing our towers on all lanes simultaneously from about the 15 minute mark till the end of the game. We spent some 30 minutes running and TPing between lanes and just managed to defend them most of the time (we were leading in kills the entire game) but every time prophet forcestaffed himself away, sprouted, and TPd to gank and push another tower 10 seconds later.

This is the first time I have played against a laning Prophet and it was ridiculously strong. They could push all lanes without ever having to group up while we had to run around the map to defend which meant they could spend the entire game farming and pushing at the same time. And even though we kept winning the fights all the gold went in their favor. If we defended a tower top they took a tower bot.

My team also made a really stupid Roshan attempt which ended up sealing the deal but even without that I think it was a lost cause.

Match ID 16125959 if anyone is interested.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    Drool wrote: »
    I don't know, I wouldn't hit any of Pudge's abilities, I just think he needs a bit less starting base health. I've been running necro against him and maxing my passive, which works well to shut him down early. But it's pretty ridiculous how easy mode he is.

That is a pretty awful argument Drool.

I kind of agree with Dark_Side. Pudge is certainly not overpowered, but he is not exactly a difficult hero either. If you manage to hit your hook about one time in three that is enough, as soon as your opponent fails to dodge you get a kill. That said there is a world of difference between a decent Pudge and an excellent one.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    I cannot land a hook and thus I shame myself to elementary school kids by not being able to play Pudge the Easy Mode Hero.

Speaking of balance, how do you play a good Morphling and how do you deal with a good Morphling? The one time I tried him left a bad taste in my mouth, but everytime someone not me plays him he kills everyone and you can't catch him and he can make himself ridiculously tanky if you DO catch him and has a safe farm and the point is he seems ridiculously powerful.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »

I kind of agree with Dark_Side. Pudge is certainly not overpowered, but he is not exactly a difficult hero either. If you manage to hit your hook about one time in three that is enough, as soon as your opponent fails to dodge you get a kill. That said there is a world of difference between a decent Pudge and an excellent one.

the thing is though, even if pudge is literally godlike and hitting all of his hooks, his effect on the game is really marginal if you just have some good map presence, wards, and aren't unsafe in your farming

i think that calling for nerfs to him is really really silly, because even when someone has a magical pudge game, its not the end of the world

plus its pretty hard to have those sorts of games. i think that it is correct that pudge is a hero that someone can do marginally with and have some visible effect on the game, but its not hard at all to shut him down -- a hero needs to be nerfed if he is doing something broken AND can't be stopped

because frankly, most heroes can do something broken -- its just that actions on the other player's sides, through positioning, picks, wards, etc can stop them from doing those broken things

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    Considering how rarely he's picked at a competitive level, calling for pudge nerfs seems a bit silly.

Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Ok time for my stupid question of the day in an attempt to learn. Why don't more people play Viper, other than his lack of built in escape? He doesn't seem bad as a carry.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Vic wrote: »

the thing is though, even if pudge is literally godlike and hitting all of his hooks, his effect on the game is really marginal if you just have some good map presence, wards, and aren't unsafe in your farming

i think that calling for nerfs to him is really really silly, because even when someone has a magical pudge game, its not the end of the world

plus its pretty hard to have those sorts of games. i think that it is correct that pudge is a hero that someone can do marginally with and have some visible effect on the game, but its not hard at all to shut him down -- a hero needs to be nerfed if he is doing something broken AND can't be stopped

because frankly, most heroes can do something broken -- its just that actions on the other player's sides, through positioning, picks, wards, etc can stop them from doing those broken things

Fair enough. To be honest a lot of my hatred for Pudge comes from the fact that he can deny himself, and frequently does so even when he is taking ridiculous amounts of player damage. Not imbalanced, just annoying, kind of like Anti-Mage.

• Options
    übergeek wrote: »
    Ok time for my stupid question of the day in an attempt to learn. Why don't more people play Viper, other than his lack of built in escape? He doesn't seem bad as a carry.

He is not bad as a carry at all. He's just not really good as a carry either. He doesn't carry as hard as most carries and also has no real way to push either. In the current meta he just doesn't fit that well. He is really good to send mid and get tanky and win mid game team fights though.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular

He is not bad as a carry at all. He's just not really good as a carry either. He doesn't carry as hard as most carries and also has no real way to push either. In the current meta he just doesn't fit that well. He is really good to send mid and get tanky and win mid game team fights though.

He is also very boring, even by carry standards. AM, jugger, riki, bounty etc are all much more fun.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I really like the Drow/Viper style of "constantly slow them as they run until they die"

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I really like the Drow/Viper style of "constantly slow them as they run until they die"

should play veno and push them to death while doing it

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Two more teams have been invited to The International 2: iG and Complexity. Complexity helps them with their American quota, and is a team I can have fun rooting against because they have the stupidest tag in all of competitive gaming. But they have a stable roster, and that's what Valve wants. That iG got an invite isn't that big of a surprise, though it's still mildly controversial. They only recently made the switch from dota 1 to dota 2 (about a week ago? maybe less) and have participated in 1 dota 2 tournament (and that was only after another team dropped out to focus on dota 1). Sure they have a stable roster and big name players and a lot of Chinese fans, but they're clearly being favoured over Chinese teams that have been committed to dota 2 for a long time.
    We are still a new team in Dota 2, but we promise to blow you away by rising to the top in the next few months, because we are iG.

The big one people are waiting for right now is EHOME. They were runners up last time, but since then China went right back to wc3 dota and EHOME as a team collapsed and reformed and collapsed and reformed. Just recently they got 3 players from competing team CLC--more controversy there, since the players claim they never actually signed with CLC but were just using their stuff, and the players actually partially reimbursed the organization when they left. See, they claim that CLC just wasn't competitive enough for them, that they were after bigger and better things. Then CLC demanded that EHOME pay for contracts that didn't exist (In China when a professional dota player signs with a team they get a real contract and if they leave for another team then their new team has to pay out the rest of the contract.), but eventually that got worked out and EHOME poached one more player, who had been playing with them anyway as a stand-in, and now they've got 5. Conveniently just in time for The International 2.

So, the thing that's being bitched about by fans right now is that Valve's demand for stable rosters could be trumping the fan's desire to see the best players and teams. Because it's pretty rare that the two coexist, even outside China. In Europe most teams are constantly in flux, besides Navi.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Well if Valve wants to foster Dota 2 as an esport and a team game than I'm sure they see stability as being more important than individual exceptional players. Which will hopefully give some of these teams incentive to stay together and work their shit out. If they throw enough money at them they might even make it financially viable for the players, but probably not.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It is financially viable in China. Which is one of the reasons that scene can be unstable. Because teams go around poaching players from each other by offering them more money and better teams.

At the same time, the reason many Chinese teams are so late to the dota 2 party is because there's very little money in dota 2 compared to dota 1. Except for The International, which is when we see a bunch of dota 1 teams making the switch all of a sudden and everyone else making mad scrambles to get into competitive rosters. That's one of the things about EHOME right now: people assumed that because they were runners up at The International they'd be guaranteed a spot at The International 2, so when things looked imminent there was this sudden rush to get a team together and finalized.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    New update, new hero too but I don't think it's the one you expected to come out:

GAMEPLAY
    - Enabled Treant Protector!
    - Ancient Apparition: Fixed Ethereal and Guardian Angel blocking Ice Blast's shatter
    - Batrider: Fixed bug with refreshing old stacks of Napalm after upgrading the ability.
    - Beastmaster: Fixed Inner Beast not affecting siege units.
    - Chen: Fixed Holy Persuasion working on Spirit Bear.
    - Dazzle: Fixed Shadow Wave not doing its damage around the aoe of the last target.
    - Doom: Fixed Sphere working under Doom (Sphere will still block Doom).
    - Drow: Fixed Trueshot Aura not affecting siege units.
    - Lich: Fixed timing on Chain Frost ministun.
    - Lone Druid: Fixed Entangle affecting wards.
    - Lone Druid: Fixed Battle Cry not affecting other units he owns.
    - Outworld Destroyer: Fixed Arcane Orb against wards.
    - Puck: Fixed being able to cast Phase Shift while rooted.
    - Pudge: Fixed Meat Hook interrupting channeling spells if the target is magic immune
    - Riki: Fixed being unable to cast for a brief moment after using Blink Strike.
    - Spirit Breaker: Fixed Charge of Darkness not getting interrupted by ensnares.
    - Fixed all heroes having 1 armor more than inteded.
    - Fixed Medallion of Courage interaction with Magic Immune units.
    - Fixed denying an allied Necronomicon unit causing Last Will to hurt you.
    - Fixed dying to Neutrals ending your kill streak counter.

UI
    - You can now ping runes to let your teammates know which type it is.
    - Tranquil boots now update movement speed and armor on the HUD when broken.
    - You can now click on player names in the waiting for players dialog to go to their Steam or Dota 2 profiles.
    - For units with lifetime (wards, illusions), the XP bar is now used to show lifetime remaining.

VISUALS
    - Added a new player-only aegis post-death effect.
    - Fixed some spells not obeying the "no screen shake" setting.
    - Added healing overhead messages for Mek, Chen, Lifestealer, Necrolyte, and Witch Doctor.
    - Added bonus damage overhead message for Lifestealer's Feast.
    - Gave Death Prophet's spirits a unique attack effect when hitting buildings.

SOUND
    - Added additional dialog for Earthshaker, Pudge, Storm Spirit, Shadow Fiend, and Doombringer.

BOTS
    - Bots on medium difficulty or below will no longer try to interrupt channels.
    - When doing Rosh, bots will no longer wait for their optimal tank. Now they'll start attacking when more than one hero has arrived, and will use the best tank of the heroes present.
    - Bots will no longer consider damage from passives as an indication that a human is intending to attack-to-kill.
    - Fixed bug where bots wouldn't use the courier if all their stash was empty (even if they had items on the courier).
    - Bots will be slightly more aggressive about using couriers that are carrying their items.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Oh good a whole new set of people can complain about how Tree is broken or useless and should be remade again or reverted to one of his older iterations.

Or maybe not, since they won't have played old Tree. So he can just keep being kind of there

Though I'm pretty sure he's still not in the CM pool. I wonder if he'll be added to the dota 2 CM pool just because.

stream
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Just checked, Tree got in the CM pool in the v6.73 update. Otherwise I don't think Valve is or will be working on any non-CM heroes in the near future.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Which is lame because I want Pit Lord.

stream
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I had a good game with a couple of Brazilians a few nights ago.

Early game we were having a hard time and one of them died while laning with me.

"where stun???? where stun? noob"

"I, uh, had just told you I was out of mana."

"oh I sorry then"

cue him apologizing to me for the next 20 minutes and then we started winning and their shit talked migrated to the opposing team.

"Hey man. you guys are badnoob"

"Why are you even play this game man?"

In the end, we won and many HUEHEHAEHEAHUEHAs were had.

I'm looking at potentially playing this game but apprehensive because...is this what it's always like?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    mrt144 wrote: »

Early game we were having a hard time and one of them died while laning with me.

"oh I sorry then"

cue him apologizing to me for the next 20 minutes and then we started winning and their shit talked migrated to the opposing team.

I'm looking at potentially playing this game but apprehensive because...is this what it's always like?

Any team game that involves competition is always like this.

Anyone worse than you is a fucking noob, anyone better than you has some excuse why they're better, like luck, imba, or lower ping. DotA is a particularly vicious example of this because each game is such a long investment of time.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Teamwork and communication is actually kind of important in these games so someone not speaking or badly speaking your language can really sink you good, but otherwise that's just the usual brazilian whining we all know and love.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

"oh I sorry then"

Anyone worse than you is a fucking noob, anyone better than you has some excuse why they're better, like luck, imba, or lower ping. DotA is a particularly vicious example of this because each game is such a long investment of time.

Not on the TF2 servers I play on

• Options

"oh I sorry then"

Not on the TF2 servers I play on
    There really isn't any comparison. TF2 gameplay is very transient and the fun factor is largely separate from success. Sure, its fun to win in TF2, but you'll usually have fun even if your team is losing. The same can not really be said of DotA.

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    New update where pinging a rune results in a chat message telling your teammates what kind of rune it is. Kind of useful, I guess. Saves you the second it takes to say it yourself.

Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This is where someone mentions that they might as well go the whole hog and show runes on the minimap.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    So i am wondering if i should keep trying different heroes or just stick with one to learn better.

though i guess having a small stable is probably ideal

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My first question is, do you have to actually click the exact spot where the rune is on the map, which would be difficult, or just that general area. If it's the second, top and bottom get warded and every 2 minutes you ping both spots to figure out where the rune is without having to move your view from mid. The skillcap people will go nuts.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    My first question is, do you have to actually click the exact spot where the rune is on the map, which would be difficult, or jsut that general area. If it's the second, top and bottom get warded and every 2 minutes you ping both spots to figure out where the rune is without having to move your view from mid. The skillcap people will go nuts.

I don't think you can do it from the minimap at all. From my five seconds of testing it.