As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Class of Heroes 2 - PSN Release Date is 6/4.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You say JRPG, and most people, particularly netizens which would be the type of people looking at a Kickstarter to begin with, will instantly think Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and other tropish JRPGs. Not, well, wizardry.

Or to paraphrase Yahtzee, spiky haired teenagers with oversized swords versus Satan.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    You say JRPG, and most people, particularly netizens which would be the type of people looking at a Kickstarter to begin with, will instantly think Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and other tropish JRPGs. Not, well, wizardry.

Or to paraphrase Yahtzee, spiky haired teenagers with oversized swords versus God.

fixed that for you

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Or to paraphrase Yahtzee, spiky haired teenagers with oversized swords versus God.

fixed that for you

But only if it's fantasy. Pull the exact same storyline, but replace all the terms and situations with the exact sci-fi equivalent, and the fans get pissed and call the series "ruined" and bitch out said 'plot twist' on internet forums.
    (I'm getting off topic here aren't it.)

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    hey you nerds stop whining about me3 and watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MKkZhy1qRAk

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Huh, they actually responded to my question in about ten minutes.
    Unfortunately, with a portable console game (or any console game at this point) the system is structured so that a digital and physical release packed together is still counted as two copies of the game and hit for 4x the royalties (2 each from the console maker and the original IP holder). I think we can change that over time, but we have to start somewhere and this we where we jumped in.

However, as a kind of half-measure bridge to what you're talking about. Some fans have noted that they won't have trouble selling the Deluxe Pack UMD at launch because the run is extremely limited and won't be at retail, and just getting the DD on PSN with the money. That way you can still get what you want in the end, and you might even come out ahead.

The first part was already brought up. The second is kinda funny. You really could probably sell the UMD in the case for a good amount to people that want the game without the bonus stuff.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Huh, they actually responded to my question in about ten minutes.
    Unfortunately, with a portable console game (or any console game at this point) the system is structured so that a digital and physical release packed together is still counted as two copies of the game and hit for 4x the royalties (2 each from the console maker and the original IP holder). I think we can change that over time, but we have to start somewhere and this we where we jumped in.

However, as a kind of half-measure bridge to what you're talking about. Some fans have noted that they won't have trouble selling the Deluxe Pack UMD at launch because the run is extremely limited and won't be at retail, and just getting the DD on PSN with the money. That way you can still get what you want in the end, and you might even come out ahead.

The first part was already brought up.  The second is kinda funny.  You really could probably sell the UMD in the case for a good amount to people that want the game without the bonus stuff.

So I kinda get not having both versions in the case. But again, why not go the Patapon 2 route then and have a second $60 tier with the whole deluxe packaging, even the case/art/manual, and instead of a UMD in there, you have the PSN download card. That way you have both of your bases covered, you get the money from digital and physical, and you don't have to worry about double royalty fees.

Aoi on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I think this is just not very well thought out, as people have pointed out. They launched this a bit too early. Hopefully they'll take all these suggestions and reorganize, and then I'll be happy to show some support.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You're assuming that the J in JRPG stems from where the game was created. During the genesis of the genre, yes, the J in JRPG indicated the game was developed in japan. That's not really true anymore. JRPG is now a subgenre, independent of where the game was developed.

What defines a JRPG, and WRPG, these days, isn't the country of origin, but rather the conventions which make up the game. Again, would you call Demon's Souls a JRPG just because it was created in japan? Or, going old school, would you call Final Fantasy Mystic Quest a WRPG because it was created in the west?

JRPG and WRPG are archaic terms which don't really accurately describe the genre they're affixed to, but much like the Adventure genre, the names stuck for a variety of reasons. It's best to think of JRPG and WRPG as the same sort of label as SRPG or RTS.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options

You're assuming that the J in JRPG stems from where the game was created. During the genesis of the genre, yes, the J in JRPG indicated the game was developed in japan. That's not really true anymore. JRPG is now a subgenre, independent of where the game was developed.

What defines a JRPG, and WRPG, these days, isn't the country of origin, but rather the conventions which make up the game. Again, would you call Demon's Souls a JRPG just because it was created in japan? Or, going old school, would you call Final Fantasy Mystic Quest a WRPG because it was created in the west?

JRPG and WRPG are archaic terms which don't really accurately describe the genre they're affixed to, but much like the Adventure genre, the names stuck for a variety of reasons. It's best to think of JRPG and WRPG as the same sort of label as SRPG or RTS.

I would say that is over simplifying it. There are exceptions to that rule like Mystic Quest (which was a western developer aping the style of the JRPG), but I would definitely say that Demon's Souls is a Japanese RPG, because despite its western trappings, it still has a great deal of Japanese gaming tropes associated with it. If anything, like Class of Heroes, it's a JRPG with Western style trappings, because if you sit someone down in front of say Skyrim, and you sit that same someone down in front of Dark Souls, they're going to know which one came from Japan, and which one didn't. Same with Class of Heroes. Then again, at this point, Wizardry has had more Japanese games made under than the name than western ones, so I would say it's style of game is almost a shared genre at this point.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nope. Not seeing how Dark Souls/Demons' Souls are JRPGs.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So we've established that they can't give us both a physical and a digital copy because of royalties.

So why do I have to have a physical copy at all. Just sell me a deluxe box full of stupid swag, and a PSN key.

You can keep the UMD.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I like my idea of an empty umd case with the code tucked inside.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    For me, it's less about supporting CoH2 and supporting Ireland's plans for the industry, and their game localization practices in general. (Not to mention other projects that might happen if this succeeds.)

Heck, the stuff he posted about reworking CoH2 alone sounds like what I'd like to see more of.

And I've pitched in for the $59. Still cheaper than what Growlanser Generations' LE cost me. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    For me, it's less about supporting CoH2 and supporting Ireland's plans for the industry, and their game localization practices in general. (Not to mention other projects that might happen if this succeeds.)

Heck, the stuff he posted about reworking CoH2 alone sounds like what I'd like to see more of.

And I've pitched in for the $59. Still cheaper than what Growlanser Generations' LE cost me. :P

That's precisely why I donated. I know WD and Vic Ireland are divisive, but I fall in line with the camp that liked them a lot. I'd love to see them return - bringing Blaster Master over was a good first step. But they need to grow.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I know that. That doesn't mean that people don't think Western RPG when they see a Wizardry style game.

Maybe 20 years ago.

It's sorta like... do you consider Demon's Souls to be a jrpg? It's made in japan, after all.

Haven't played it; no ps3, alas. By definition it would be, though as I understand its more of an action game, where skill is more important than stats.
    The "J" stands for "Japanese", as in "Jpop" or "Jrock".

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Also the fact that this is totally a western RPG and they keep calling it a JRPG is kind of dumb.

Why do they need to localize it, then?

It's a Japanese game, but the gameplay is similar to old-school Western RPGs like Wizardry.

Wizardry style games took off much much better in Japan then they ever did here.

I know that. That doesn't mean that people don't think Western RPG when they see a Wizardry style game.

Many classic JRPGs are Wizardry likes. Dragon Quest wouldn't exist if not for Wizardry.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    And now the thread has devolved into arguing over the meaning of commonly used genre designators. True goosery has been achieved.

• Options
    Wizardry is a JRPG these days. The Japanese love them some Wizardry. So much that they bought up the license.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Maybe 20 years ago.

It's sorta like... do you consider Demon's Souls to be a jrpg? It's made in japan, after all.

Haven't played it; no ps3, alas. By definition it would be, though as I understand its more of an action game, where skill is more important than stats.
    The "J" stands for "Japanese", as in "Jpop" or "Jrock".

Soooo... this is a WRPG then:

ffmq.jpg

And so is this:

188337-elderscrolls.jpg

And this is a JRPG:

header_dark_souls.jpg

And so is this:

Final_Fantasy_IV_(SNES)_02.png

Which renders the definitions of the subgenres worthless if you take them at their most literal definitions.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Many classic JRPGs are Wizardry likes. Dragon Quest wouldn't exist if not for Wizardry.
    you can stretch this out as far back as you'd like, you realize. Wizardry wouldn't exist if not for Ultima, which is ALSO cited as an influence on Dragon Quest. And Ultima wouldn't exist if not for Dungeons and Dragons. Hence, Dragon Quest is a D&D clone, right?

Of course that's a silly claim, but you get the point.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Which renders the definitions of the subgenres worthless if you take them at their most literal definitions.

Yup, that's how I view it.

Final Fantasy is more like Wizardry or Ultima than Skyrim is. The "subgenres" are worthless unless "characters looking like animu" is a deciding factor for you.

I put a smiley in above, but I had to remove it. What in God's name did they do to our smileys?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options

Final Fantasy is more like Wizardry or Ultima than Skyrim is. The "subgenres" are worthless unless "characters looking like animu" is a deciding factor for you.

I put a smiley in above, but I had to remove it. What in God's name did they do to our smileys?

On the surface, final fantasy might be more like wizardry and ultima than skyrim, until you examine the common factors which make up the games. JRPGs tend to be more about a single contained story line, where the player is also viewing the character they're playing as, as much as they are the character. We don't influence the decisions cloud makes in FFVII, for example.

Where as, typically, WRPGs are more about you being the embodiment of the character you're playing as, with the story being more subtle. We influence every single story decision made in Skyrim, for example.

To be honest, I'm kinda fucked up on pain meds right now and about to go to bed, so I don't really feel up to sitting down and expanding my view point on the subject at this very minute (not a sleight on the conversation at hand, which I do find interesting) but hopefully I'd touched enough on my views on the matter that someone else can sort of pick up where I left off.

Sorry for not going into more detail, but vicodin makes me very loopy, and I don't want to start wandering with my thoughts and/or put nonsense onto the boards. Perhaps I'll return and flesh out my argument tomorrow.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

On the surface, final fantasy might be more like wizardry and ultima than skyrim, until you examine the common factors which make up the games. JRPGs tend to be more about a single contained story line, where the player is also viewing the character they're playing as, as much as they are the character. We don't influence the decisions cloud makes in FFVII, for example.

Where as, typically, WRPGs are more about you being the embodiment of the character you're playing as, with the story being more subtle. We influence every single story decision made in Skyrim, for example.

To be honest, I'm kinda fucked up on pain meds right now and about to go to bed, so I don't really feel up to sitting down and expanding my view point on the subject at this very minute (not a sleight on the conversation at hand, which I do find interesting) but hopefully I'd touched enough on my views on the matter that someone else can sort of pick up where I left off.

Sorry for not going into more detail, but vicodin makes me very loopy, and I don't want to start wandering with my thoughts and/or put nonsense onto the boards. Perhaps I'll return and flesh out my argument tomorrow.

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you? I mean what the fuck does "the player is also viewing the character they're playing as" mean? Are you just saying that JRPGs don't have silent main characters that act as an avatar for the player? Because uh, have you EVER played Dragon Quest?! And that's not even mentioning the myriad of other JRPGs with silent main characters (Suikoden, Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, etc).

If you're really going to tie each sub-genre down to a specific definition then you've no choice but to accept that JRPGs naturally evolved Ultima and Wizardry (so much so that Wizardry has been an exclusively Japanese franchise for over 10 years now). WRPGs on the other hand were far more influenced by D&D.

Oh and while I'm at it, Demon's Souls is a fucking JRPG. From Software have been making those fucking games for nearly 20 years now and there are no western equivalents.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    Actually, the first JRPGs (including Dragon Quest) were simplified Ultima III clones. JRPGs have evolved differently than WRPGs, but the roots of JRPGs are in the west.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Actually, souls games are based on kings field which is very similar to a lot of western games. I mean hell, it and three old elder scrolls share quite a bit of dna.d. Except KF hates you.

while dq 1 had a very blank slate character, 2 and on were actually quite developed. Ff2 and up always had a pretty hard defined character selection. Even things like the silent protagonists in smt, CT and similar had personalities. Which dictated their responses.

Most jrpgs of 16bit game and up were very narrative driven.

Wrpg tend to be more free form.

wrpg tend to emphasize moral choice and alignment.

Jrpg tend to ignore such things all together unless its some central function of the story (smt recreating the world as example)

Wrpg tend to give you what you need as you progress.

Jrpg tend to rely on grind.

I'll mark that one down to cultural differences. And leave it at that.

Also Ultima, ergo wizardry, came from d&d. So they both started in the same place.

Oh, and what he meant, since its apparently so hard to figure out: wrpg emphasize you as the hero. Jrpgs emphasize the hero as an entity you control.

Immersion vs narrative.

Edit: or hell, let's be realistic. Kings field was Ultima underworld. Demon souls is what Ultima 9 wishes it was, instead of the crap we got.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

fixed that for you

Yeah for some(read: every SMT game ever), but play Dissidia(either one) and tell me the last boss doesn't remind you of someone. :P

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Please please please let someone from XSEED see this thread and see that WE WANT TO KICKSTART Retro Game Challenge 2!

I figure that's more on-topic that this genre-definition pedantry.

• Options
    A day and 8 hours in and this has only raised $33k. For comparison, The Banner Saga kickstarter raised $100k in 2 days and even with that kickstarter, there's no guarantee that it'll make $500k (it's at $300k or so but it's slowed down big time).

Doomed.

• Options
    Well I dont really care if its xseed or gaijin or whoever. Someone needs to bring RGC2 out for us filthy foreigners.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    A day and 8 hours in and this has only raised $33k. For comparison, The Banner Saga kickstarter raised $100k in 2 days and even with that kickstarter, there's no guarantee that it'll make $500k (it's at $300k or so but it's slowed down big time).

Doomed.

How long did the Wasteland one take?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Doomed.

How long did the Wasteland one take?

Wasteland 2 also took about 2 days. Their goal was drastically higher at $900k though.

The Double Fine kickstarter reached its goal of $400k in 8 hours.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you? I mean what the fuck does "the player is also viewing the character they're playing as" mean? Are you just saying that JRPGs don't have silent main characters that act as an avatar for the player? Because uh, have you EVER played Dragon Quest?! And that's not even mentioning the myriad of other JRPGs with silent main characters (Suikoden, Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, etc).

If you're really going to tie each sub-genre down to a specific definition then you've no choice but to accept that JRPGs naturally evolved Ultima and Wizardry (so much so that Wizardry has been an exclusively Japanese franchise for over 10 years now). WRPGs on the other hand were far more influenced by D&D.

Oh and while I'm at it, Demon's Souls is a fucking JRPG. From Software have been making those fucking games for nearly 20 years now and there are no western equivalents.

You just gotta love a response that begins with "you don't know what you're talking about" that completely misses the point. What does a silent protagonist have to do with anything? In a game like Dragon Quest, your character is silent, but no way in hell are YOU the character. You don't influence a thing. Just because someone doesn't talk doesn't mean you're in charge. That's flimsy reasoning on your behalf.

And Ultima and Wizardry were both directly influenced by D&D. Richard Garrot exclusively credits D&D as the inspiration and influence for Ultima.

And, the word fucking omitted, Demon's Souls has more in common with WRPGs than JRPGs. How long a company has been making similar games is irrelevant.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The problem with your generalizations about what Japanese games are "generally" like, Chocobo, is that you entirely write off games that aren't like that, and instead count them as "wrpgs".

Obviously you can't expect games made by such different cultures as Japan and America or Europe (even these are pretty different, too. Witcher feels very East European) to be "the same", but I don't find the labels much use other than to say that your average JRPG will probably have an anime look and a silly anime plot. Even then, though, that's exaggerating. I like many RPGs with that style, but I hate anime.

On the topic of the actual thread, all I have to say is that my best friend really liked Class of Heroes. I'm not really into Wizardry style games, I get lost.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    I know some of you have been following the Gaf thread that crazy old Victor has been posting in. Has anyone brought up/pleaded with him to not fucking fall back on relying on his old awful pop-culture jokes that make the script/humor to his game feel dated the second it comes out? Maybe my wording is inflammatory, but I don't care. I played through Silver Star Story Complete again about a year ago, and things like Martha Stewart, and Bill Clinton jokes coming up just made me cringe, and put me off from going back to play through Cosmic Fantasy 2 or Arc the Lad collection (and yes, while WD annoy me now, I still own a lot of their games from"back in the day").

Honestly, I think I might be more interested in supporting this and future stuff from them if they just had more control over themselves and their bad pop culture humor. Oh, and maybe hold back on "improving" the difficulty of their games. I forgot how fucking unplayable their improvements made Exile: Wicked Phenomenon.

• Options
    The dated pop culture jokes are mostly just a problem with their old stuff like Lunar. They were much less prominent with their newer games like Arc the Lad and Growlanser.

• Options
    "Improvements" make me remember how Namco "improved" Xenosaga Ep. II. They felt it wasn't hard enough, so they multiplied enemy and boss HP for the western version with no increase to battle rewards. Yep. More grind is making things harder apparently.

• Options
    They've made two additions to the reward tiers.

$20 now gets you a "complete downloadable version of the arranged soundtrack"
    $100 now gets you a PSN code for the game.

This is in addition to the rewards that were already there.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    That's another reason this kickstarter is sort of daft.

The DF and Wasteland 2 ones gave you an actual deal on the game at the lowest level. This one gives you the most useful bit at the highest end of the regular donations and they only added it very recently.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    That's the thing. Most people don't want a UMD and a digital code. They want one or the other. They really need to have a low cost tier that just gets you the digital copy of the game and no UMD.

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    This kickstarter is stupid and pointless and anyone who contributes to it is a goose

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Aoi wrote: »
    ...but I would definitely say that Demon's Souls is a Japanese RPG, because despite its western trappings, it still has a great deal of Japanese gaming tropes associated with it.
    Now I'm curious, what tropes would that be?