As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Class of Heroes 2 - PSN Release Date is 6/4.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    The whole "holding basic translation features hostage" bullshit has really soured me on this. I want nothing more then to play translated versions of CoH 2 and 3 but I really can't bring myself to want this to succeed anymore.

• Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    This seems poorly planned, but I thought the localizations of the two PSX Lunar games were absolutely top tier, especially for the time, so I'm having difficulty delighting in this misguided projects failure as some seem bizarrely happy to do.

On top of that, I think calling this an out and out failure is unfair. It was an experiment to see if people wanted a box of physical crap with a niche game these days. Most, apparently, don't. Experiment complete. Minus the slow sad dying until the timer runs out, anyway.

I don't think most people are delighting in anything. Most just seem baffled at how vague and poorly planned it seemed.

And if it was just an experiment, then why does he keep pointing back to it saying if it's not supported he won't get support from other publishers to do it again. It's not an experiment. It was something he was using as leverage with Japanese publishers so he could get wider support to do it again, which is one of the bigger reasons it annoys me. He wanted to use it as leverage, did a shit job at planning it all out, and now that it's failing, according to him anyway, so does most of his future support.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Lunar had great translations. Hell the original japanese script wasn't that great either, let me say. A bit of personality never hurt anyone, and the second one even had a nice little chocobo joke in it. I can see nothing wrong with that.

GrowlanSer (Please stop calling it lancer, it makes me sad.) was also pretty solid and I'm looking forward to Xseed releasing the 4th one. (XSeed is like the WD of the modern age, really. Vic should think small and do DD only.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    Come now, Victor Ireland was the president of the company. How much was he involved in translation?

People seem to be so concentrated on the bad that they are forgetting the good. WD did bring over many cult hits that the other companies deemed too risky. Their games had voice-over acting back when it was still a rarity. Despite making the occasional blunder, at least they put some effort into the translations when even the high profile companies didn't bother. You have to remember how different things were back in the nineties. We had RPGs in Engrish, a character might be turned black, etc. I remember many reviews commenting how "laugh out loud funny" the WD translations were. The standards and expectations were different back then.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Raggie wrote: »
    Several reviewers gave it a low score because it appeals to a "limited audience", not because they thought it was a poor game per se. Some reviewers suffered from false expectations, i.e. giving bad scores because the game didn't have angsty teenage drama like a JRPG "should".

I thought not having angsty teenage drama in a JRPG was a good thing.

I've been on a huge first person dungeon crawler binge lately (even going as far as building my own), but the lack of a reasonably priced digital copy is keeping me away from this too. I want to see it do well and lead to other localizations of niche RPGs, but it also feels like they're holding the promise of those future games hostage. The only way they could make it worse is to follow Capcom and blame the fans at the end.

Is there any reason they couldn't have handled it like other kickstarters with multiplatform options? $20-30 for the base game, $60 for the Special Edition, and then send out a survey at the end asking if you want a digital or physical copy.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    The whole "holding basic translation features hostage" bullshit has really soured me on this. I want nothing more then to play translated versions of CoH 2 and 3 but I really can't bring myself to want this to succeed anymore.

Are you sure it's not just a matter of misinterpreting what he said? From what I understand, the game *is* going to have basic translation, what he needs money for is going beyond that. Every day spent in development costs money, and this is a very niche release.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    People seem to be so concentrated on the bad that they are forgetting the good. WD did bring over many cult hits that the other companies deemed too risky. Their games had voice-over acting back when it was still a rarity. Despite making the occasional blunder, at least they put some effort into the translations when even the high profile companies didn't bother. You have to remember how different things were back in the nineties. We had RPGs in Engrish, a character might be turned black, etc. I remember many reviews commenting how "laugh out loud funny" the WD translations were. The standards and expectations were different back then.

Back in the 16-bit era, Working Designs was so much better than everyone else, it was scary. Back then, a "good" localization was basically one that wasn't completely incoherent. Even if some of Working Designs' jokes fell flat, their translations were still drastically better than everyone else back then and some of their jokes were actually funny.

However, these days, the gaming landscape is drastically different. We have several quality RPG localizers (XSeed Games, Atlus, NIS America, Aksys, Carpe Fulgur) and even the in-house stuff from companies like Square-Enix & Namco Bandai tend to be rather good. Vic Ireland wants to return to the glory days of Working Designs, but if it was still around, Working Designs would just be one of several good localizers and not necessarily even the best one.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If English VA is one of the "rewards" then I want this to fail.

To be fair, one of the big draws of releasing a niche game digitally is that you don't have to include English audio, which is shit-hell-expensive for small localization companies. So doing this and being able to get some extra working capital and wiggle room would allow for something that is otherwise tough to pull off in a limited-release game. I don't think it's just them going "well we could voice it, but fuck it let's cut it out and see if we can get those chumps to pay for it later."

The part about having to get even more money to secure the Japanese voices was kinda weird, though.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    English VA would have made sense as one of those over-achievement landmarks. As would the exact contents of the deluxe edition, price it at $59 as now, but give it defined contents and then expand that as you exceed your target.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Houk wrote: »

To be fair, one of the big draws of releasing a niche game digitally is that you don't have to include English audio, which is shit-hell-expensive for small localization companies. So doing this and being able to get some extra working capital and wiggle room would allow for something that is otherwise tough to pull off in a limited-release game. I don't think it's just them going "well we could voice it, but fuck it let's cut it out and see if we can get those chumps to pay for it later."

The part about having to get even more money to secure the Japanese voices was kinda weird, though.

I more just mean I want my moonspeak in my moonspeak game. I have my american games if I want to hear murrican.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

The Japanese voices cost extra for the publisher as well. They have to pay for licensing the original VA, so it makes sense.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I more just mean I want my moonspeak in my moonspeak game. I have my american games if I want to hear murrican.

If it fails we just get no voices period

Which I mean may still be better, but whatevs

It's going to fail, pretty much

• Options

Are you sure it's not just a matter of misinterpreting what he said? From what I understand, the game *is* going to have basic translation, what he needs money for is going beyond that. Every day spent in development costs money, and this is a very niche release.

Bug fixes are "going beyond"? No. No they aren't.

• Options

Back in the 16-bit era, Working Designs was so much better than everyone else, it was scary. Back then, a "good" localization was basically one that wasn't completely incoherent. Even if some of Working Designs' jokes fell flat, their translations were still drastically better than everyone else back then and some of their jokes were actually funny.

However, these days, the gaming landscape is drastically different. We have several quality RPG localizers (XSeed Games, Atlus, NIS America, Aksys, Carpe Fulgur) and even the in-house stuff from companies like Square-Enix & Namco Bandai tend to be rather good. Vic Ireland wants to return to the glory days of Working Designs, but if it was still around, Working Designs would just be one of several good localizers and not necessarily even the best one.

They weren't better than everyone else, they damned near were everyone else, at least in the genres they worked on. There were nearly no other companies other than Square releasing games of that type during the 16 bit era, but not too terribly long after the release of the PS1, what they did got to be a lot more common, they became significantly less relevant. The fact that the kickstarter hypes their project as something meant to bring JRPGs back to US fans is such a bizarre comment considering all the companies that release weird Japanese titles over here now.

When it comes right down to it, they're much more remembered for the extras that came with their games than the games themselves.

As for Ireland not having much if anything to do with the translation of the game, tell that to him? He would spend the back third of the manual sperging out about how broken the original game was, and how he made it better, and improved everything about it. His producer notes in the back of those faux leather manuals did more to make me dislike him and his company than a million Monica Lewinski/Bill Clinton/Martha Stewart jokes.

• Options
    Aoi wrote: »
    There were nearly no other companies other than Square releasing games of that type during the 16 bit era

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Enix released a lot of RPGs in the 16-bit era, Sega had a couple big RPG series, and you had a lot of one-of and two-ofs like Capcom's Breath of Fire 2, Nintendo's Earthbound (and stuff they published like Illusion of Gaia), the Lufia games, etc.

• Options
    There were nearly no other companies other than Square releasing games of that type during the 16 bit era

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Enix released a lot of RPGs in the 16-bit era, Sega had a couple big RPG series, and you had a lot of one-of and two-ofs like Capcom's Breath of Fire 2, Nintendo's Earthbound (and stuff they published like Illusion of Gaia), the Lufia games, etc.

Very true. It still didn't have the penetration, or the support from companies that the genre got once things hit the PS1, but it did have more than just Square. I still <3 the hell out of Robotrek. I completely forgot about some of Enix's stuff from back then.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It just looks a lot worse because a crap ton of sixteen bit rpgs quite frankly did not leave Japan because they wouldn't sell.

The US got only about a quarter of all Square games and maybe a tenth of all Enix games released during that era.

Even the "golden years" of JRPG localization caused by the success of FF7 we still missed a ton of games.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    It just looks a lot worse because a crap ton of sixteen bit rpgs quite frankly did not leave Japan because they wouldn't sell.

The US got only about a quarter of all Square games and maybe a tenth of all Enix games released during that era.

Even the "golden years" of JRPG localization caused by the success of FF7 we still missed a ton of games.

Yeah, I didn't even realize the sheer amount of stuff we didn't get from Square and Enix until I started looking over reproduction carts from those companies that I've seen people doing lately.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

The Japanese voices cost extra for the publisher as well. They have to pay for licensing the original VA, so it makes sense.

It costs extra, sure, but it's one of those basic things a publisher should have sorted out when they first get the rights to the game. And frankly, if you don't have plans to put English in when you're signing the contracts, it's a pretty low-rent approach to not at least secure the original Japanese. It sounds like they went into this game not planning on having English or Japanese. That's what I consider kinda weird (or just them being super extra cheap, but I'd rather not think that's the case).

• Options

Where does he talk about bug fixes?

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options

* Extended game fixes and features (extra save slots, better controls, etc)

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I think that's more the little things you notice when you're playing that could be better, but aren't really bugs. Like he mentioned how it was tedious to heal characters individually. Fixing that would be cool, but it's much more difficult to add an actual game tweak like that than it is to just put in new text.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

* Extended game fixes and features (extra save slots, better controls, etc)

I don't think that means bug fixes. In something Vic wrote (maybe on Neogaf, and I'm not digging through there for a single sentence), he said that some of his changes would be actual programming changes like removing the number of steps to confirm a selection, that sort of thing.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Kickstart EO IV translation:

I'll be willing to chip in 30-40 American dollars for a professionally done translation coming out sometime after Summer 2012 but before Summer 2013.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Come now, Victor Ireland was the president of the company. How much was he involved in translation?

Check the credits. Victor did a lot of writing and localization work himself, namely on Dragon Force and Magic Knight Rayearth, and I think Growlanser II & III as well.

Even if WD aren't relevant nowadays, they really did set the standard. It's a shame they aren't getting the acknowledgement they deserve.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I still have my dragon force disc, sitting not five feet from me at this very moment.

If they had did a Kickstarter for a release of Dragon force 2? All my money. All of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    More likely to succeed then Class of Heroes 2.

Yes, I get that he had to ask around to find someone to try this, but seriously, is that the best he could do?

• Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I do understand why they chose 500,000. He said they need to print 7000 to make the project worthwhile.

7000 x $60 = $420,000

Minus Kickstarter's cut, and taxes perhaps, there probably isn't much left on the top. But that's why this is such a flawed Kickstarter; it has way too many tiers. All they need is a...

10 dollar "JRPG Support" tier, including that certificate of JRPG support and a digital soundtrack ($20 for digital is ridiculous - just ask iTunes what the best price point is).

60 dollar tier - either digital or physical in the box

100 tier that includes both

The rest is fluff and isn't going to help them hit that important 7000 tier.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Check the credits. Victor did a lot of writing and localization work himself, namely on Dragon Force and Magic Knight Rayearth, and I think Growlanser II & III as well.

In other words, the pop jokes were probably written by someone else, as they existed even on those games he *didn't* work on.
    As for Ireland not having much if anything to do with the translation of the game, tell that to him? He would spend the back third of the manual sperging out about how broken the original game was, and how he made it better, and improved everything about it. His producer notes in the back of those faux leather manuals did more to make me dislike him and his company than a million Monica Lewinski/Bill Clinton/Martha Stewart jokes.

Eh? The hardcover manuals had a single page for translation notes, unsigned, where he talks about the process that *they* (as in Working Designs, not Ireland) went through. Most of those changes sound perfectly benign and stuff that I'd fully support, like adding DualShock support and extra save slots. I realize WD did make some changes that didn't improve the game, but I'd wager most of them did.

I'm still not getting all this hostility. Did he kill your grandmas or something?

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    He's usual a racial slur for his company's name.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options

To be fair, in a dictionary sense, it's a totally benign word.

Still a dumb choice though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I do understand why they chose 500,000. He said they need to print 7000 to make the project worthwhile.

7000 x $60 = $420,000

Minus Kickstarter's cut, and taxes perhaps, there probably isn't much left on the top. But that's why this is such a flawed Kickstarter; it has way too many tiers. All they need is a...

10 dollar "JRPG Support" tier, including that certificate of JRPG support and a digital soundtrack ($20 for digital is ridiculous - just ask iTunes what the best price point is).

Or just go digital only and still do perfectly fine. Particularly considering by the time the localization is done, the demand for UMDs are going to be an irrelevancy.

But on the other hand, with the way he dropped this Kickstarter flat on its face going out the door, it may be too late to get the publicity to go digital only without going into the 'infamy' stage, such as an example of how not to execute a Kickstarter. Corpse Party(to name one example) was so completely different from most J-stuff that it got away with digital-only no problem(true horror anime being extremely rare), but what does Class of Heroes have going for it that isn't "safely in the mold"?

Donnicton on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

In other words, the pop jokes were probably written by someone else, as they existed even on those games he *didn't* work on.

Huh, I always thought he had a big hand in all the localizations at WD. I do remember him stressing how they were toning down their pop culture references around the time the Arc the Lad collection was released -- maybe even before that.

A shame about this kickstarter, though. Even as a longtime Working Designs fan, I don't feel like I can get behind it.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

7000 x $60 = $420,000

Or just go digital only and still do perfectly fine. Particularly considering by the time the localization is done, the demand for UMDs are going to be an irrelevancy.

But on the other hand, with the way he dropped this Kickstarter flat on its face going out the door, it may be too late to get the publicity to go digital only without going into the 'infamy' stage, such as an example of how not to execute a Kickstarter. Corpse Party(to name one example) was so completely different from most J-stuff that it got away with digital-only no problem(true horror anime being extremely rare), but what does Class of Heroes have going for it that isn't "safely in the mold"?

His reason for not going digital is solid. The DD exists no matter how the Kickstarter does, but without 7000 people funding the deluxe physical version, it can't turn a profit and therefore won't be produced. A digital version of the game doesn't need to be Kickstarted, because it already exists, and it would only screw up the math. However, all the "extra" stuff he's been "adding" is fluff, unnecessary or things the dev should be doing anyway.

In all seriousness though, are there people out there that prefer English dialogue to subtitled Japanese? I thought Japan was "cool" enough these days for people to want things as close to authentic as possible.

To be fair, in a dictionary sense, it's a totally benign word.

Still a dumb choice though.

Any gaikokujin knows that gaijin is often used in an offensive matter. Whether it's always used that way or not is a non-issue. I refuse to give my money to a company that is celebrating a word that has been used to disrespect me, directly.

• Options
    I'm not saying it isn't a derogatory word in usage, simply that it technically is benign!

Maybe he's trying to 'take it back', man, maybe he's TAKIN THE WORD BACK.

Or something. I never said they were particularly bright.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    In all seriousness though, are there people out there that prefer English dialogue to subtitled Japanese? I thought Japan was "cool" enough these days for people to want things as close to authentic as possible.
    Depends on the quality. If the English dub is of good quality I'll pick that, given the option.

• Options
    I'm not saying it isn't a derogatory word in usage, simply that it technically is benign!

Maybe he's trying to 'take it back', man, maybe he's TAKIN THE WORD BACK.

Or something. I never said they were particularly bright.

I would quote Clerks 2, but that movie was crazy racist.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Depends on the quality. If the English dub is of good quality I'll pick that, given the option.

Yeah, same here. I'm fine with either (and took a few courses of Japanese at college) but if there's a quality English dub, I'll take that.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »

Ditto. Problem is English dubs are often very very bad.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

His reason for not going digital is solid. The DD exists no matter how the Kickstarter does, but without 7000 people funding the deluxe physical version, it can't turn a profit and therefore won't be produced. A digital version of the game doesn't need to be Kickstarted, because it already exists, and it would only screw up the math. However, all the "extra" stuff he's been "adding" is fluff, unnecessary or things the dev should be doing anyway.

But it really seems that the people who want the "deluxe" box are pretty limited compared to people who'd like a digital copy where they don't skimp on the localisation. It's a mixed message and he's got his priorities wrong.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule