As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the Dao of "games journalism"

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    MMOs are fine if you're with a group of people you like and enjoy playing with. But they're intentionally designed to have everything take much longer than it would in single players so you keep paying that 15 dollars a month. Nothing is short in an MMO.

The entire Madness of Deathwing encounter.

Yeah, pretty much. Raid bosses in WoW at least don't take very long once you've got them down (even Madness doesn't, 12 minutes on the final boss isn't so long in a single player game) but they're set up in such a way that you have to take multiple attempts to get to that point. So a 12 minute boss is actually, depending on difficulty, a 12+ hour boss over the course of a few weeks.

12 minutes is too damn long.

If you think that's bad, try Final Fantasy online. There is a raid boss that literally took about 18 hours to beat with a proper raid setup.

Then there's how characters level up slower, soloing is impossible past the earlier levels, and you lose XP every time you die.

As bad as WoW is in the long-run, it's fairly casual friendly for those who don't care all that much about reaching max level and raiding.

At least it was when I last played it, which was just before WotLK came out.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    i love that the devs love this kind of shit. they are so fucking proud they made a game where this can happen. No other game could do this. And that's amazing.

pretty sure people were actually studying eve's economy for a bit

yeah, there is like, a real working economy in there, and that's fascinating. I'm looking forward to what the world of darkness game is like. cause apparently they want to do a similar thing.

it's going to be shit from a butt that focuses on the "social" aspect

ie

"pay us to be Super Goth in the worst incarnation of WoD"

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    WoW is much more causal friendly now than it was back then. Certainly levels of magnitude more than FFXI is. But it also has very deep hardcore element too (despite people complaining to the contrary), if going into that sort of thing floats your boat.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    have they yet made an MMO that rejects all of the standard MMO design decisions and instead chooses to be a fun video game first and a large-scale multiplayer experience second

nope.

wait, does gta 4 multiplayer count?

This reminds me that (while we know very little about the game) playing multiplayer in Los Santos has me pretty excited, IV's was the first I played online and San Andreas is my favourite GTA.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i love that the devs love this kind of shit. they are so fucking proud they made a game where this can happen. No other game could do this. And that's amazing.

yeah, there is like, a real working economy in there, and that's fascinating. I'm looking forward to what the world of darkness game is like. cause apparently they want to do a similar thing.

ie

i'm a bit more optimistic then that, but yeah, probably. but if it's playable game and has some systems as deep as they did with EvE it will be interesting to read about.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I wonder what an MMO might look like if it didn't rely on awkward pacing to stretch limited content

Like, what kind of relatively iterative tasks would people want to repeat that aren't grinding, what kinds of interactions are most fulfilling

Personally? Boss fights are fun. Ones that don't require doing the same thing for a 10 minute span. I understand the cinematic desire to create a good, dynamic boss fight with the boss yelling taunts about your mother which can lengthen the fight a bit. However, it should have some variety.

For example, in World of Warcraft, the Lich King fight has the boss switch up abilities between phases, opting to drop one ability in favor of another, to keep the fight interesting by having the player learn how to dodge a new mechanic while working within the previous ones.

Conversely, the most recent "end game" fight is 10 minutes of the same damn thing followed by 2 minutes of panic and luck. Not fun at all.

• Options
    GTA5 is going to be really great you guys. They learned a lot about streamlining and improving the mission structure in Red Dead Redemption, and if they've taken it even further in GTA55 it'll be damn near perfect.

• Options
    GTA5 is going to be really great you guys. They learned a lot about streamlining and improving the mission structure in Red Dead Redemption, and if they've taken it even further in GTA55 it'll be damn near perfect.

as long as it's not 35 gigs i'm in

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

ie

Also there's this:
    PA Report wrote:
    As a Prince, you can call a blood hunt on other players, a sort of declaration of war on individuals that calls every vampire to destroy the selected character. This can even lead to permadeath. In other words, don’t piss off the guy in charge, as he has the ability to potentially remove your character from the game entirely.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    UnderTheBridgeUnderTheBridge Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    FUCK YES

snip

Greatest rts ever getting a sequel? Yes thank you.

stvincentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i didn't play a ton of GTAIV multi but there was one really great moment that is basically my favorite thing in a video game ever

it was a pub game of deathmatch

everyone was pretty talkative, pointing out where the enemy was going and such

except one guy, who I just assumed didn't have a mic or something

we were getting our asses kicked, and then in the last minute that guy finally speaks up.

"Guys, we just won."

At the start of the match he had taken off across the city and found a helicopter

he brought it back and slaughtered the other other team and totally flipped the scores

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i didn't play a ton of GTAIV multi but there was one really great moment that is basically my favorite thing in a video game ever

it was a pub game of deathmatch

everyone was pretty talkative, pointing out where the enemy was going and such

except one guy, who I just assumed didn't have a mic or something

we were getting our asses kicked, and then in the last minute that guy finally speaks up.

"Guys, we just won."

At the start of the match he had taken off across the city and found a helicopter

he brought it back and slaughtered the other other team and totally flipped the scores

that

fucking

owns

• Options
    i still have never found the hobo city in gta4

hopefully gta5 will actually be fun instead of being wanting to have its "yeah let's fuck shit up" cake and be a drama about the death of the american dream, too

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    MMOs are fine if you're with a group of people you like and enjoy playing with. But they're intentionally designed to have everything take much longer than it would in single players so you keep paying that 15 dollars a month. Nothing is short in an MMO.

The entire Madness of Deathwing encounter.

Yeah, pretty much. Raid bosses in WoW at least don't take very long once you've got them down (even Madness doesn't, 12 minutes on the final boss isn't so long in a single player game) but they're set up in such a way that you have to take multiple attempts to get to that point. So a 12 minute boss is actually, depending on difficulty, a 12+ hour boss over the course of a few weeks.

12 minutes is too damn long.

If you think that's bad, try Final Fantasy online. There is a raid boss that literally took about 18 hours to beat with a proper raid setup.

Then there's how characters level up slower, soloing is impossible past the earlier levels, and you lose XP every time you die.

As bad as WoW is in the long-run, it's fairly casual friendly for those who don't care all that much about reaching max level and raiding.

At least it was when I last played it, which was just before WotLK came out.

To be honest, the Asian MMO design is all kinds of crazy. FF11 took a page from Ultima and EverQuest before it.

EverQuest is probably where the idea of raiding as we know it first started. Most of the raids in EverQuest were long enough that you'd probably spend your weekend dealing with everything due to enemies respawning on top of boss enemies that were only bosses because they hit hard, took longer to die and had a fancier name than the other enemies around them.

• Options

hopefully gta5 will actually be fun instead of being wanting to have its "yeah let's fuck shit up" cake and be a drama about the death of the american dream, too

It's a good thing GTA4 was fun then! Although I'll admit it doesn't pull off the let's fuck shit up thing as well as SR3 did (which came out years later anyway) and doesn't pull off the drama as well as Red Dead did. It was still a ton of fun regardless. Nico is my only problem with that game.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    And how one group is apparently trying to reset the economy by killing everyone around the central economic hub and force them to go to a different hub or some such. Heard about it on the bombcast, it sounds pretty amazing.

The Goons.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

ie

Also there's this:
    PA Report wrote:
    As a Prince, you can call a blood hunt on other players, a sort of declaration of war on individuals that calls every vampire to destroy the selected character. This can even lead to permadeath. In other words, don’t piss off the guy in charge, as he has the ability to potentially remove your character from the game entirely.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

sounds like a faithful adaptation of oWoD though

in that it sucks

nwod 4 lyfe

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My favourite GTA IV moment was me on a pier sniping across the water at the enemy team clumped together on a street.

But rather than scatter and retreat they stayed on that street hopping around and dashing back and forth like headless chickens. Since this was early days in my Video Game Shooting years I wasn't able to kill many of them as they did this.

And then five minutes later one of their team members shot me in the back of the head. They had employed a crazy distraction to keep me amused and occupied while one of their friends went around to take care of me.

The launch trailer hints heavily about a focus on the economic issues of the 21st century, so I'm not banking on a jetpack but who knows?

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    If GTAIV hadn't ran like complete crap on my old machine I'm sure I'd have gotten into it

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    saints row has spoiled me

now i just want a game about being a criminal to be a game about being a criminal

saints row 2 we hardly knew ye

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

ie

Also there's this:
    PA Report wrote:

Yeah, that sounds fun.

in that it sucks

nwod 4 lyfe

You talkin' shit on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines bro?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    And how one group is apparently trying to reset the economy by killing everyone around the central economic hub and force them to go to a different hub or some such. Heard about it on the bombcast, it sounds pretty amazing.

The Goons.

no, what the goons and the russians were doing was killing people who farmed a certain gas that was kinda a chokepoint for most space station fuel

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

ie

Also there's this:
    PA Report wrote:

Yeah, that sounds fun.

in that it sucks

nwod 4 lyfe

lmao you think this

• Options
    man now i want to play sr2 again

guess i'll do that

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    just
    gaol anybody who attempts to perpetuate the usual trappings of the MMO genre

not for very long, just a day or so, just long enough that they learn to not do it again

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    sr3 is getting a standalone expansion: enter the dominatrix

you get superpowers

i want it inside me

• Options
    edited May 2012

you get superpowers

i want it inside me

And it's $30 so hopefully it's pretty substantial.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

you get superpowers

i want it inside me

And it's $30 hopefully it's pretty substantial.

well it's a standalone thing so i can't imagine it's a 2 hour mission chain

i've explained why i think sr2 is the better game already but man sr3 is so fun and just nuts

i mean
    "Faster than a speeding cyber jetbike, more powerful than a roided-out Luchadore, able to leap flying aircraft carriers in a single bound... That's the power you'll find inside the Dominatrix. Use it for good. Use it for evil. Use it for whatever you want. As always in Saints Row, it's up to you," he said

"With a franchise with more than 11 million units shipped globally, it's incredibly gratifying to have the flexibility to give Saints Row fans the features they want most."

He later added: "Freaking super powers."

the man understands me

Buttlord on
  • Options
    I didn't say it would be as long as the season pass stuff, I just want it to be $30 long since everything I've heard about the previous dlc is underwhelming.

If this is the thing that they've been putting most of their effort into then I am on board.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    why don't they just make an iPhone MMO

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    why don't they just make an iPhone MMO

I think there's a WoW ripoff that runs on smartphones.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    If I could play such a thing with one hand, I'd be all over it

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    :Winky:

• Options
    you know what game would work really well on smartphones

Progress Quest

brb making a progress quest clone

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Progress Quest

character gains stats/abilities based on what other aps you use while your character is leveling.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

Progress Quest

character gains stats/abilities based on what other aps you use while your character is leveling.

this is a really good idea.

your character levels while you are playing music

you get some kind of bonus if your GPS is on and you are levelling while travelling distances

• Options
    i was thinking like a fft job system and he would gain like, bard abilities while listening to music, hunter stuff while using fps, and like... furry guy in a bird suit class while playing angry birds

• Options
    i wasn't trying to be a dink i was just espousing my beliefs
    TheStig wrote: »
    i was thinking like a fft job system and he would gain like, bard abilities while listening to music, hunter stuff while using fps, and like... furry guy in a bird suit class while playing angry birds

this would mean that you'd have to do things

doesn't that defeat the purpose of progress quest

• Options
    edited May 2012
    well, you wouldn't do anything you normally wouldn't

unless you got super obsessive and just left your words with friends running all the time to level up your speechcraft

TheStig on
  • Options
    I am a fan of all that

but people like overall level bars that go up

so maybe a job system that works like that but also when you gain experience or levels in a given "job" it contributes in some way to your overall level?

This discussion has been closed.