Options

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The shawarma industry must have had the largest single day increase in sales ever.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I had some in Israel, it's really damn good.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    In norway it's just called kebab and is huge already

There are "kebab shops" that are only open from midnight to 4 am on friday and saturday and they're swarmed by drunk people

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Regarding the US military and rapid mobility, aircraft can be scrambled within minutes, especially on the east coast. They could have had jets over Manhattan in less than an hour.

Probably still would have been too late, but the Air Force can mobilize pretty damn fast.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just got back from The Avengers... I'm pretty sure I had a giant grin on my face throughout the whole film.

Now, as for best moments, well, I'd say it was a tie between every scene....

Okay, as for my really favorite scenes.
    Tony: "Jarvis, ever heard the story of Jonah and the whale?"
    Jarvis: "I would not consider him a roll model."

Hulk utterly thrashing Loki was terrific.

Flying the nuke through the portal was great as well.

And one of my favorite funny moments was between Cap, Thor, and Fury.

Fury: I'd like to know what Loki did to turn two of my best agents into his personal flying monkeys!!
    Thor: Monkeys? I do not understand--
    Cap: I do! ...I got that reference.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Just got back from The Avengers... I'm pretty sure I had a giant grin on my face throughout the whole film.

Fury: I'd like to know what Loki did to turn two of my best agents into his personal flying monkeys!!

Oh Captain. You adorable so and so.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    this was a very entertaining movie

• Options
    GAH I don't want to have to wait another four days to see this damn movie

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Tox, honestly, how dead on the inside do you feel?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

MAJOR SPOILERS!
    SERIOUSLY DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU ALREADY KNOW WHO DIES!
    As dead as you are by the end of this movie

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

MAJOR SPOILERS!

Well...
    THAT WAS A LOW BLOW MISTER!!!

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    Your conversation reminds me of another great moment.
    "So that's what that does...."

That was a good note to go out on..

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Ad astra wrote: »

Oh Captain. You adorable so and so.

He's so cute. I watched him while he slept. I mean, I was there while he was unconscious.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Some guy wrote this on my facebook status regarding The Avengers (minor spoilers):
    I know that this is the hot geek flavor of the day, but, seriously, there's never been a good Hulk film. There never will be. It wasn't even that good a comic book when I was a kid. The Captain America movie was a few scenes and a couple of VERY LONG montages that made no real story sense. When you are reduced to your strange villain writing the names of cities on the aerial bombs in English, you know this film is aimed at very, very low IQs. Let me say, I loved the first half of Iron Man and the "I am Iron Man" moment at the end (Iron Man fighting bigger, badder Iron Man father-figure gets rather tiresome, just as Hulk fighting father starfish or bigger, badder Hulk gets tiresome). I love the first Superman. And the much maligned second Fantastic Four film, which was sloppy and goofy, at least felt like I was reading a comic book rather than reading someone trying to channel Shakespeare through the comic book universe and having neither the talent nor the skill to pull it off (biggest sinner: Thor, the absurd). And Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are brilliant fun with flaws overcome by a purity of vision that seems unencumbered by the ever-present commercial stamp on the Marvel films. The Avengers, whose success is poised to literally destroy Disney Studios as we know it, is the grandest offender on so many levels. Half-baked characters (excepting Iron Man) who, frustratingly feel the need to fight each other for no reason (and, as we know, with no real physical or story consequences), only to finally "assemble" to take on the evil step-brother from outer space. Great superhero stories present the moral dilemma. You can do anything you want, but you can't do everything you want (Spiderman I tried this, but, of course, did it stupidly by making the moment atop the 59th St. bridge absurd). The Dark Knight threaded this brilliantly, playing on our fears that we can't trust each other to act selflessly. But The Avengers (as in Cap America, Thor, The Hulk movies) there isn't even enough internal logic to create a scenario like this that about which we can care. You either just love the characters or you don't. And if you don't, this movie seems almost fascist in its notions. Even Iron Man's supposed grand act of self-sacrifice / destruction of the enemy seems both un-earned and buffoonish. Hey, I love absurd villains. But they have to be smart. You can do anything in a film as long as there are some kind of rules to the universe. If Iron Man is just a guy in a suit, well, he can't decelerate from terminal velocity to dead stop and still be alive. The suit won't save him. His internal organs will mash up and splat inside his body like milk shake. Captain America may be able to heal up quick, but he has weaknesses. Thor is a wonderful character in the comics I read in the 70s, but in these films he's just a joke, a character who is continual comic relief, the Baby Huey of the Marvel universe, doing at least as much damage as good (up to the very, very end, of course), but looking quite handsome. But the most wretched thing about The Avengers is just how unimaginative it seems to be, and intentionally unimaginative. So glad we haven't seen aliens attack NYC before. So glad we haven't seen the military brains deciding to launch the big one when, if they had just trusted our hero, all would have turned out okay. Every scene had this familiar beat of this Spider-man film or that Superman film or Batman film. Alas.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Let it be known, I have faith...
    That Coulson is not dead. He will rise again!

PRAISE BE TO COULSON!!!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    holy crap that is a lot of wankery

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Some guy wrote this on my facebook status regarding The Avengers (minor spoilers):
    I know that this is the hot geek flavor of the day, but, seriously, there's never been a good Hulk film. There never will be. It wasn't even that good a comic book when I was a kid. The Captain America movie was a few scenes and a couple of VERY LONG montages that made no real story sense. When you are reduced to your strange villain writing the names of cities on the aerial bombs in English, you know this film is aimed at very, very low IQs. Let me say, I loved the first half of Iron Man and the "I am Iron Man" moment at the end (Iron Man fighting bigger, badder Iron Man father-figure gets rather tiresome, just as Hulk fighting father starfish or bigger, badder Hulk gets tiresome). I love the first Superman. And the much maligned second Fantastic Four film, which was sloppy and goofy, at least felt like I was reading a comic book rather than reading someone trying to channel Shakespeare through the comic book universe and having neither the talent nor the skill to pull it off (biggest sinner: Thor, the absurd). And Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are brilliant fun with flaws overcome by a purity of vision that seems unencumbered by the ever-present commercial stamp on the Marvel films. The Avengers, whose success is poised to literally destroy Disney Studios as we know it, is the grandest offender on so many levels. Half-baked characters (excepting Iron Man) who, frustratingly feel the need to fight each other for no reason (and, as we know, with no real physical or story consequences), only to finally "assemble" to take on the evil step-brother from outer space. Great superhero stories present the moral dilemma. You can do anything you want, but you can't do everything you want (Spiderman I tried this, but, of course, did it stupidly by making the moment atop the 59th St. bridge absurd). The Dark Knight threaded this brilliantly, playing on our fears that we can't trust each other to act selflessly. But The Avengers (as in Cap America, Thor, The Hulk movies) there isn't even enough internal logic to create a scenario like this that about which we can care. You either just love the characters or you don't. And if you don't, this movie seems almost fascist in its notions. Even Iron Man's supposed grand act of self-sacrifice / destruction of the enemy seems both un-earned and buffoonish. Hey, I love absurd villains. But they have to be smart. You can do anything in a film as long as there are some kind of rules to the universe. If Iron Man is just a guy in a suit, well, he can't decelerate from terminal velocity to dead stop and still be alive. The suit won't save him. His internal organs will mash up and splat inside his body like milk shake. Captain America may be able to heal up quick, but he has weaknesses. Thor is a wonderful character in the comics I read in the 70s, but in these films he's just a joke, a character who is continual comic relief, the Baby Huey of the Marvel universe, doing at least as much damage as good (up to the very, very end, of course), but looking quite handsome. But the most wretched thing about The Avengers is just how unimaginative it seems to be, and intentionally unimaginative. So glad we haven't seen aliens attack NYC before. So glad we haven't seen the military brains deciding to launch the big one when, if they had just trusted our hero, all would have turned out okay. Every scene had this familiar beat of this Spider-man film or that Superman film or Batman film. Alas.

what a f*****************************************t

• Options
    You heard it here first folks, Dark Knight was brilliant fun.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Just watched it a second time. Interesting the stuff I missed the first time through.
    -When Loki mind projects back to talk to the "Other", he is constantly maneuvering and trying to see up the stairs to see who's really running things.

-After Loki arrives and steals the Cube, he is staggering and needing help to leave.

-Before the R&D room argument, Captain America starts to say that Loki's staff sounds a lot like the Hydra weapons from his movie. Nick Fury ABRUPTLY cuts him off. Later in the movie, Cap finds the Hydra weapons and they were of course created using the Cube.
    I'm sure there's a ton more.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    bedi

tell your friend who wrote that response that he can't criticize any writing until he familiarizes hinself with the concept of the paragraph

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's simple, I think he just hates things that are good.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

Reply with this for me please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4_oQJNaaA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

MAJOR SPOILERS!

So. . .
    Questionably?

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular

DC shill

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    About Blanks Theory
    I gotta think that the globe IS the Mind Gem. Loki claims that Thanos granted him great power. What better way?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The Captain America movie was a few scenes and a couple of VERY LONG montages that made no real story sense. When you are reduced to your strange villain writing the names of cities on the aerial bombs in English, you know this film is aimed at very, very low IQs.

That entire review is absurd, but my favorite is the thought that American cities would be spelled differently in German.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Oh man, you know who they need to show up in the next movie

Wonder Man. I forgot how much I love that guy.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Real Talk: The first Superman film is not a very good movie. Christopher Reeve made it watchable.

• Options
    Real Talk: The first Superman film is not a very good movie. Christopher Reeve made it watchable.

Additional Real Talk: I don't really consider The Dark Knight a superhero film and thus consider it unfair to compare to superhero films.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Or that Germans couldn't possibly speak English at all!

• Options
    obviously a real German would write Neu York

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The Captain America movie was a few scenes and a couple of VERY LONG montages that made no real story sense. When you are reduced to your strange villain writing the names of cities on the aerial bombs in English, you know this film is aimed at very, very low IQs.

That entire review is absurd, but my favorite is the thought that American cities would be spelled differently in German.

Considering we call it "Germany" while the Germans call it "Deutschland" I don't think it's as strange a concept as you'd expect.

• Options

Considering we call it "Germany" while the Germans call it "Deutschland" I don't think it's as strange a concept as you'd expect.

Oh I know, I studied German for 3 years in high school.

But "Chicago" still stays "Chicago" in translation.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    real talk: the dark knight is a full on superhero movie

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Or that Germans couldn't possibly speak English at all!

Well if they were writing on German equipment for other Germans to read then obviously they would write in German

But the point stands that there isn't a German word for like, "Chicago"

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    at some point in the thor-iron man fight i started to be reminded of the sunglasses fight from they live

it was similarly confusingly long and brutal

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    real talk: the dark knight is a full on superhero movie

Seriously, if I wanted to I could go through the movie and name all the comic beats/tropes it uses. There are tons.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Also I saw this again tonight and it was just as good

Two new lines I caught tonight that made me sad due to the fate of a certain character
    First, Pepper asking Coulson as they get on the elevator if he's still with that cellist and he says no, she moved back to Portland

And then as Tony walks onto the bridge of the Helicarrier he's promising Coulson that whenever he wants he'll fly him out to Portland to see his girl

• Options
    I consider The Dark Knight a crime film staring Batman.

I just think it has a drastically different tone from a film like Iron Man.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.