Options

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Actually, pony, on the Nick website, they claim it's Steampunk.
    Nick.com wrote:
    Republic City is everything that Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko fought for when they ended the Hundred Year War. With balance restored to the four nations, benders and non-benders can live together in peace, in this thriving metropolitan area. But even the steampunk paradise of Republic City has its problems, as the next Avatar discovers. When Avatar Korra arrives in Republic City to master her airbending, she comes face to face with criminal bending gangs as well as members of a vocal anti-bending revolution. Before long, Korra's Avatar skills are put to the test when she encounters a group of Chi-blockers led by the charismatic and mysterious Amon, who threatens the city and all the benders in it. Despite the immense danger, Korra vows to fight the growing anti-bending revolution. But will she be able to stop Amon before he rises to power and makes his vision of a bending-free world a reality?

That doesn't mean whoever wrote that really knows what steampunk means.

Eh, good point.

but there's steam, there's a defiant attitude somewhere, steampunk, yeah? :P

except there isn't

there isn't any steam technology in the show thus far except those things that would be reasonably powered by steam (like, you know, heating a building)

everything is electric or gas-powered

the tech level of most of the things in the show are full on into the 20th century

ain't no brassy gizmos with giant boiler pipes here, man

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Steampunk is my favorite genre on the citadel.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Actually:
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/legend-of-korras-michael-dante-dimartino-and-joaqu,72359/
    AVC: You say the need for CG comes from the new technology—cars, for instance—which has been one of the things fans have commented on from watching the first two episodes online. What went into developing that technology, in terms of thinking about how your society changed over 70 years?

MDD: Bryan and I were just thinking of what was the level of technology and industry in the 1920s era in New York, Shanghai, Hong Kong. And we call it steampunk-lite, a little dash of Jules Verne-y steampunkness thrown in there.Really, we were just drawing a little bit on history, a little on fantasy with the airships and stuff like that, but given that little extra science-fiction twist. Just a touch.

JDS: Yeah, when you think about the availability of that technology in the real world around that era, and then you throw into the mix the fact that there are benders in this universe who can manipulate the elements, it pushes that stuff a little further along.

So I think "steampunk elements" would be an apt description.

Winky on
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    When I went to the Ren Faire it was the "official steampunk" weekend of the Faire.

Which means, while some people had like, actual steampunk costumes, a lot of people did the token effort of just like, throwing a gear on their existing outfit.

I would have loved to have Pony with me that day.

i wouldn't be caught dead going to a ren faire anyhow

it's not like outside of steampunk day it's somehow a cool place to be

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Pony wrote: »
    Actually, pony, on the Nick website, they claim it's Steampunk.
    Nick.com wrote:
    Republic City is everything that Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko fought for when they ended the Hundred Year War. With balance restored to the four nations, benders and non-benders can live together in peace, in this thriving metropolitan area. But even the steampunk paradise of Republic City has its problems, as the next Avatar discovers. When Avatar Korra arrives in Republic City to master her airbending, she comes face to face with criminal bending gangs as well as members of a vocal anti-bending revolution. Before long, Korra's Avatar skills are put to the test when she encounters a group of Chi-blockers led by the charismatic and mysterious Amon, who threatens the city and all the benders in it. Despite the immense danger, Korra vows to fight the growing anti-bending revolution. But will she be able to stop Amon before he rises to power and makes his vision of a bending-free world a reality?

That doesn't mean whoever wrote that really knows what steampunk means.

Eh, good point.

but there's steam, there's a defiant attitude somewhere, steampunk, yeah? :P

except there isn't

there isn't any steam technology in the show thus far except those things that would be reasonably powered by steam (like, you know, heating a building)

everything is electric or gas-powered

the tech level of most of the things in the show are full on into the 20th century

ain't no brassy gizmos with giant boiler pipes here, man

it's only been, what, 4 episodes? Give it time, by the 13th, they'll be all covered in gears and using made-up words and such.

(I don't actually know what steampunk is about.)

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Actually:
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/legend-of-korras-michael-dante-dimartino-and-joaqu,72359/
    AVC: You say the need for CG comes from the new technology—cars, for instance—which has been one of the things fans have commented on from watching the first two episodes online. What went into developing that technology, in terms of thinking about how your society changed over 70 years?

MDD: Bryan and I were just thinking of what was the level of technology and industry in the 1920s era in New York, Shanghai, Hong Kong. And we call it steampunk-lite, a little dash of Jules Verne-y steampunkness thrown in there.Really, we were just drawing a little bit on history, a little on fantasy with the airships and stuff like that, but given that little extra science-fiction twist. Just a touch.

JDS: Yeah, when you think about the availability of that technology in the real world around that era, and then you throw into the mix the fact that there are benders in this universe who can manipulate the elements, it pushes that stuff a little further along.

see, he did what lots of people do

he used "steampunk" as a generic buzzword for "there's technology in our fantasy! peanuts in our chocolate!"

it's a fucking meaningless nonsense word

might as well be a marketing guy talking at that point

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Some days it feels like this forum ought to be renamed Dogmatism and/or Dickishness

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    When I went to the Ren Faire it was the "official steampunk" weekend of the Faire.

Which means, while some people had like, actual steampunk costumes, a lot of people did the token effort of just like, throwing a gear on their existing outfit.

Yeah I guess a day hanging out with your friends throwing axes and javelins and shooting bows and having a great time isn't very cool.

Man, teach me to be cool like you Pony. It sounds really fun.

• Options

Yeah I guess a day hanging out with your friends throwing axes and javelins and shooting bows and having a great time isn't very cool.

Man, teach me to be cool like you Pony. It sounds really fun.

lesson 1: stop all of

this
    i just gestured to all of you

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    what is with my fucking internet

oh wait my brother is downloading shit

what a shitlord

• Options
    No no step 1 clearly has to be playing zombie airsoft if I want to be a cool kid.

Clearly.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    are you guys seriously arguing about steampunk

what the heck is wrong with you

jesus christ

• Options
    Inquisitor you have to learn how to be the right kind of nerd.

Step one is to rage crazy fucking hard on the Internet.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i've never done it but i'm pretty sure i could throw the fuck out of a roman javelin

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I am home. I smell of woodsmoke.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

how was it

• Options
    edited April 2012
    fantasy, as a genre, has a lot of problems

so much of it is just Tolkien rehashes and Howard-esque sword/sorcery shit

caught in these weird made up worlds of quasi-European medievalism

occasionally stuff breaks the mould

A Song of Ice and Fire gets a lot of praise, even though it is medieval european fantasy, it plays it serious (to the extent that it's bleak and depressing, just like the real middle ages!) and stark (heh) brutality is refreshing to a lot of fans of fantasy who are used to the same ole, same ole

Avatar, the first series, was wuxia. It was distinctly asian fantasy in the tradition of old Chinese fantasy stories (even though the cultures in the series are a mishmash of various asian and other cultures), and follows a lot of the conventions and archetypes of wuxia instead of more Tolkien horseshit.

that's pretty rad

the new series decided to go "screw this fantasy stasis bullshit, the world evolves" and they cranked it forward into a post-industrial urban setting

and that's pretty neat and original!

then

you know

people harp like circus seals "steampunk, steampunk!" and crap all over something cool with their nonsense attempt to enframe something that doesn't fit into the norms for fantasy

Pony on
  • Options
    Actually:

see, he did what lots of people do

he used "steampunk" as a generic buzzword for "there's technology in our fantasy! peanuts in our chocolate!"

it's a fucking meaningless nonsense word

might as well be a marketing guy talking at that point

It makes it sound a lot like the creators were clearly influenced by the steampunk aesthetic.

I mean, it's not like they were insulated from it or something.

And I don't know how I feel about whatever specific definition of steampunk you're using. Steampunk isn't even like Cyberpunk where it has clear definitive works that you can point to that started the whole thing. It is pretty much meaningless outside of it being a vague collection of elements.

• Options
    No no step 1 clearly has to be playing zombie airsoft if I want to be a cool kid.

Clearly.

man airsoft is so years ago, bro

we play Nerf now

get you a Maverick

buy some darts

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    i've never done it but i'm pretty sure i could throw the fuck out of a roman javelin

These ones weren't roman, but, man I couldn't throw them for shit. I mostly blame the conditions (not a lot of left/right space, not enough space to get a real running start, low net so hard to lob the javelin really high, etc) but also my upper body strength ain't special. I didn't have any intentions to do the javelins by three rather buxom women pressganged me at once (one showed up on my left arm, one on my right, one in front, producing various things from their cleavage while they ushered me into the javelin throwing area) and I am a weak man. So, I threw some javelins.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

jesus christ

Why you attacking JC like that?

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    fantasy, as a genre, has a lot of problems

so much of it is just Tolkien rehashes and Howard-esque sword/sorcery shit

caught in these weird made up worlds of quasi-European medievalism

occasionally stuff breaks the mould

A Song of Ice and Fire gets a lot of praise, even though it is medieval european fantasy, it plays it serious (to the extent that it's bleak and depressing, just like the real middle ages!) and stark (heh) brutality is refreshing to a lot of fans of fantasy who are used to the same ole, same ole

Avatar, the first series, was wuxia. It was distinctly asian fantasy in the tradition of old Chinese fantasy stories (even though the cultures in the series are a mishmash of various asian and other cultures), and follows a lot of the conventions and archetypes of wuxia instead of more Tolkien horseshit.

that's pretty rad

the new series decided to go "screw this fantasy stasis bullshit, the world evolves" and they cranked it forward into a post-industrial urban setting

and that's pretty neat and original!

then

you know

people harp like circus seals "steampunk, steampunk!" and crap all over something cool with their nonsense attempt to enframe something that doesn't fit into the norms for fantasy

so?

919UOwT.png
  • Options

jesus christ

Why you attacking JC like that?

he knows what he did

• Options
    i tried throwing javelins once

not like, weapon ones

olympic ones, for sport

good lord

yeah the guys who do that are trained athletes in that shit f'real

it is HARD

• Options

Clearly.

we play Nerf now

get you a Maverick

buy some darts

Dude I got me a maverick and the sniper rifle! Oh man I used to wait on the roof of my garage to ambush my friends, I haven't busted them out in years.

I should do that next game night, really take my friends by surprise.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

how was it

It was fun. Leigh caught her first fish and was very disappointed that I didn't bring the right knives to turn it into food.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

These ones weren't roman, but, man I couldn't throw them for shit. I mostly blame the conditions (not a lot of left/right space, not enough space to get a real running start, low net so hard to lob the javelin really high, etc) but also my upper body strength ain't special. I didn't have any intentions to do the javelins by three rather buxom women pressganged me at once (one showed up on my left arm, one on my right, one in front, producing various things from their cleavage while they ushered me into the javelin throwing area) and I am a weak man. So, I threw some javelins.

Do you also think swordfighting relies on upper body strength? How about throwing a football?

What I'm trying to say is that strength has almost nothing to do with it.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

pfffftahahahahahaha

oh man tell me more of these "buxom women"

this sounds like it could go places

8->

• Options
    There are some really hot nerds

Like there are a lot of really hideous ones

But there are some really hot ones

• Options

how was it

It was fun. Leigh caught her first fish and was very disappointed that I didn't bring the right knives to turn it into food.
    oh, she went too? that sounds cool

I'm glad you had a nice time

how was the weather

• Options

Clearly.

we play Nerf now

get you a Maverick

buy some darts

Dude I got me a maverick and the sniper rifle! Oh man I used to wait on the roof of my garage to ambush my friends, I haven't busted them out in years.

I should do that next game night, really take my friends by surprise.

okay so tell me this

i have been told that the longstrike is actually more accurate when you take off the barrel attachment and shorten the gun

since nerf darts aren't bullets, the barrels aren't rifled, so basically it's more shit in the way messing with your shot

i find this DEFINITELY to be the case with the Recon

your thoughts

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Winky I've played over 2000 games of LoL and I can't tell who the girl on the far left is

I have no clue to be honest.

uh if no one answered that she is the priest lady from The Guild, nubs.

• Options

pfffftahahahahahaha

oh man tell me more of these "buxom women"

this sounds like it could go places

8->

Nah, that's the whole story. Three women crammed into corsets too small for them basically pounced upon me and led me off to throw javelins in exchange for money. I mean, it's basically their job. They also talk you up and how you "must be so skilled already at handling large shafts" and "how deep can you sink it?" and blah blah blah. It's a pretty hilarious schtick and its fun. Once they got me throwing javelins they wandered off to go find some other guy.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

jesus christ

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    yes, legend of korra has a very 1920's vibe to it (airships, jazz, classy gangsters, etc.), but that's where it's drawing its inspiration from

the 1920's

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

I GOTTA FINISH AVATAR NOW

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    And I don't know how I feel about whatever specific definition of steampunk you're using. Steampunk isn't even like Cyberpunk where it has clear definitive works that you can point to that started the whole thing. It is pretty much meaningless outside of it being a vague collection of elements.

This is why I try to ignore the entire steampunk category-of-things inasmuch as possible. It's grouping a bunch of wildly different things together by a vague and often misapplied aesthetic. I may as well organize my movie shelves by which ones have the color brown in them.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    here is my opinion on steampunk!

who. the. hell. cares.

if you don't like it, good for you. don't let any gears into your fantasy.

if you do, good for you. put some extra gears in your fantasy.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Miniatures games are actually pretty cheap

They do eat up a lot of time tho

• Options
    i will never go back to airsoft or paintball

for the cost of ONE of those fucking guns i can buy a god damn arsenal of nerf shit

and go out to the park, just a normal city park, with my buddies and no special equipment and just goof around

none of this

pay hundreds of dollars for a gun

buy BBs/paintballs

buy other fucking gear including mask/goggles

go out to a god damn dedicated field/indoor arena

pay for that

try to convince your friends to do that shit too OR interact with the online communities for those hobbies

(fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that)

when i was a teenager and i had a lot of disposable income and buddies with cars and a circle of friends who were into that shit, then it was fun

but nowadays?

no thank you sir

i will buy a nerf gun for $20 and be happy with that

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    here is my opinion on steampunk!

who. the. hell. cares.

if you don't like it, good for you. don't let any gears into your fantasy.

if you do, good for you. put some extra gears in your fantasy.

What are you a jock.

This discussion has been closed.