Options

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I loathe the idea of MTG because of the random aspect of new cards and the exorbitant cost of cards sold individually

At least with miniatures I can fool myself into believing the casting process and materials are rather expensive

When it comes to cardboard with pretty pictures and text though I can't really build up that illusion in my mind

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Woot woot. Jury duty excused.

And actually, they must've been surprisingly fast given how slow I was sending that letter back.

The one time I got jury duty I got excused so easily. Just a simple "I don't live in that state anymore" and it was all good. No verification or anything, they just went with it.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    you know if someone showed up to one of our nerf gunfights with like

a modded nerf gun he had painted in black and camo

i think i'd tell him to go home

go home, hardcore

casuals only

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    And I don't know how I feel about whatever specific definition of steampunk you're using. Steampunk isn't even like Cyberpunk where it has clear definitive works that you can point to that started the whole thing. It is pretty much meaningless outside of it being a vague collection of elements.

This is why I try to ignore the entire steampunk category-of-things inasmuch as possible. It's grouping a bunch of wildly different things together by a vague and often misapplied aesthetic. I may as well organize my movie shelves by which ones have the color brown in them.

My friend with a million DVDs does organize his by color. He knows where they all are.

We did it to him as a prank once, but he liked it and since moving has always reordered them by hue. He has a LOT of dvds.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

go home, hardcore

casuals only

I use my modded Nerf gun to shoot at co-workers in the office. I modded it because it was fun.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    What's wrong with modding a nerf gun? It's fun.

It's still a nerf gun.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

go home, hardcore

casuals only

pony-sama onii chan did you notice that i specialized my weapon after the mecha from butz maru fighter squad go!

i feel like it really encapsulates the spirit of nerf

uguuuuuuuuu~

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    _J_ wrote: »
    MTG is the most expensive hobby.

If you buy sensible cards, though, you can usually get a fairly good return on your investment.

This is not true. If you have valuable cards you have a dilemma. Do you

1) Sell them when they're in T2 and make Texa$

or

2) Use the, in a deck until they rotate out and become pretty worthless.

Neither option is ideal. If you go with the first one, you're not going to be able to build any deck you want. If you go with the second, you will be fucking broke.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    when i was in high school i had a decent amount of money about me

so i was into warhammer

i was also into drugs

one day i looked at how much i had spent on those two things in the past month

one of them was $70

the other was $300

so clearly one of those two things was a problem that i needed to cut down on in my life

can you guess which one

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    so tired

but

nightmares

:[

Dammit you go to sleep thinking you are a pro wrestler and when those nightmares come you give them all chairshots.

• Options
    so tired

but

nightmares

:[

Dammit you go to sleep thinking you are a pro wrestler and when those nightmares come you give them all chairshots.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    :bz wrote:
    so i was at my japanese classes preparing for JET when a girl came up to me with her bosoms showing and two of her sexy friends, saying that they liked my cosplay. i was impressed because it's not a mainstream anime and it deals with a lot of themes, so i invited them airsofting with me. unfortunately they have boyfriends but i still had a fourway, too bad one isnt my girlfriend

hahahahahaha

8->

I wish we had a forumer actually named :bz

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I had a nerf bow&arrow as a kid.

From 10 feet away you would still miss a silly number of times.

The arrows were so horribly dented and bent that it was amazing they traveled any distance at all.

Like shooting bananas.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

If you buy sensible cards, though, you can usually get a fairly good return on your investment.

Any format is going to cost a decent amount of cash. T2? Gotta update your deck every set and I can guarantee there will be at least 4 $20 cards you need to buy. Booster draft you have to be really good to have that pay for itself.

Yeah, you have to be in the top 5% of all magic players to make more money than you pour into it, and even those guys probably have a net loss if you average it over their lifetime.

Honestly, what I really wish was that there was a competitor to MTG for real competitive card gaming to make them lower their absurdly extravagant prices. Sadly there's no card game in the same vein (discounting much less complex children-branded games) that comes close to approaching it.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nerf gun mods. That reminds me I really need to slap the lead acid battery and a faster, higher torque motor into this:

8B9FF3CC5056900B1060FC5B453C9D69.jpg

electricitylikesme on
  • Options

Any format is going to cost a decent amount of cash. T2? Gotta update your deck every set and I can guarantee there will be at least 4 $20 cards you need to buy. Booster draft you have to be really good to have that pay for itself.

Yeah, you have to be in the top 5% of all magic players to make more money than you pour into it, and even those guys probably have a net loss if you average it over their lifetime.

Honestly, what I really wish was that there was a competitor to MTG for real competitive card gaming to make them lower their absurdly extravagant prices. Sadly there's no card game in the same vein (discounting much less complex children-branded games) that comes close to approaching it.

Winky, the magic pros now are celebrities who write articles and are paid to appear places.

I will throw down the gauntlet that I know more about this stupid game than other people here.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    cass where did you find these anime tapes?!?!

i learned it from watching uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
  • Options

It's still a nerf gun.

depends on why

if you're modding it to give yourself a competitive advantage in silly nerf games with your friends

that's unacceptable

if you are modding it so when you sneak up on your buddy at work and shoot him in the face, it stings a bit?

okay carry on

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    when i was in high school i had a decent amount of money about me

so i was into warhammer

i was also into drugs

one day i looked at how much i had spent on those two things in the past month

one of them was $70

the other was $300

so clearly one of those two things was a problem that i needed to cut down on in my life

can you guess which one

I'm guessing the "problem" was Warhammer?

Miniatures games have the opposite problem of MTG. High start-up cost, low long-term cost.

• Options

It's still a nerf gun.

depends on why

if you're modding it to give yourself a competitive advantage in silly nerf games with your friends

that's unacceptable

if you are modding it so when you sneak up on your buddy at work and shoot him in the face, it stings a bit?

okay carry on

It's just fun to do. Why paint pictures or go fly fishing? That is why some of my friends mod nerf guns. They share the modded guns out when we play.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Miniatures games are actually pretty cheap

They do eat up a lot of time tho

Speaking as someone who has over $1k in minis?

Nu-uh.

That doesn't prove anything. I have owned over $1000 worth of books in my life. That does not make books expensive. It means I have a lot of books.

I can spend a couple dollars and have a book to read.

When the two armies I wanted to play cost me well over $500 a piece? I'm ok with calling that expensive.

• Options
    i love that bee

best feature of the new forums, hands-down

quote trees are a close second

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I am home. I smell of woodsmoke.

how was it

It was fun. Leigh caught her first fish and was very disappointed that I didn't bring the right knives to turn it into food.
    oh, she went too? that sounds cool

I'm glad you had a nice time

how was the weather

Yeah, it was me, her, her roommates and one of their boyfriends. And the weather was pleasant. Not too hot, mostly clear.
    sounds pretty nice

I'm not much for camping, myself, but that seems like it would be really pleasant

It was very pleasant. Sitting around making New Orleans style beignets, telling stories. Did a little hiking.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    And I don't know how I feel about whatever specific definition of steampunk you're using. Steampunk isn't even like Cyberpunk where it has clear definitive works that you can point to that started the whole thing. It is pretty much meaningless outside of it being a vague collection of elements.

This is why I try to ignore the entire steampunk category-of-things inasmuch as possible. It's grouping a bunch of wildly different things together by a vague and often misapplied aesthetic. I may as well organize my movie shelves by which ones have the color brown in them.

My friend with a million DVDs does organize his by color. He knows where they all are.

We did it to him as a prank once, but he liked it and since moving has always reordered them by hue. He has a LOT of dvds.

so your friend just memorized his shelf arrangement

yeah I think I'm cool with the alphabet

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I had a nerf bow&arrow as a kid.

From 10 feet away you would still miss a silly number of times.

The arrows were so horribly dented and bent that it was amazing they traveled any distance at all.

Like shooting bananas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhgM9gVODKQ

?

• Options

Yeah, I quizzed him once on where all of his individual seasons of the West Wing were and it was scary.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Nerf gun mods. That reminds me I really need to slap the lead acid battery and a faster, higher torque motor into this:

8B9FF3CC5056900B1060FC5B453C9D69.jpg

I want to get to know that nerf gun.

Biblically.

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Saw Avengers!
    Was okay. I felt it was pretty much just an excuse to see cool shit and in that it delivered.

That said, the 3D was FUCKING AWFUL. I swear it looked less blurry without the glasses on and almost nothing benefitted from the 3D.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't play with nerf guns because they are toys for children

• Options
    sometimes i put my maverick to someones head and go TELL ME WHERE THE DIAMONDS ARE

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

It's still a nerf gun.

depends on why

that's unacceptable

okay carry on

What if I am dissatisfied with the rate of fire and want to empty the clip in 5 seconds?

• Options

Yeah, I mean booster packs run what? 5 bucks a pop now?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    :bz wrote:
    so i was at my japanese classes preparing for JET when a girl came up to me with her bosoms showing and two of her sexy friends, saying that they liked my cosplay. i was impressed because it's not a mainstream anime and it deals with a lot of themes, so i invited them airsofting with me. unfortunately they have boyfriends but i still had a fourway, too bad one isnt my girlfriend

hahahahahaha

8->

I wish we had a forumer actually named :bz

Fuck you I'm not falling for it this time.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
  • Options
    You wouldn't buy a booster at regular price which was like 3.99 last I checked. We run drafts for $12 and there are prizes. That's $4 a pack without accounting for the prizes.

Boxes are... uh, maybe $100-120. My roommate buys them, I don't.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So Game of Thrones tonight. It was good.

That is all.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

I organize by genre and then title. And The or A doesn't count.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    that is a strange doorknob.

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.