Options

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    No no step 1 clearly has to be playing zombie airsoft if I want to be a cool kid.

Clearly.

man airsoft is so years ago, bro

we play Nerf now

get you a Maverick

buy some darts

Dude I got me a maverick and the sniper rifle! Oh man I used to wait on the roof of my garage to ambush my friends, I haven't busted them out in years.

I should do that next game night, really take my friends by surprise.

okay so tell me this

i have been told that the longstrike is actually more accurate when you take off the barrel attachment and shorten the gun

since nerf darts aren't bullets, the barrels aren't rifled, so basically it's more shit in the way messing with your shot

i find this DEFINITELY to be the case with the Recon

your thoughts

To be honest I have no idea from personal experience because I've always fired it with the barrel because it looks cooler :P

But, the barrel should not add any accuracy or speed. All the momentum is generated by the spring, so the shot is already going as fast as it will be, it won't be accelerating in the barrel due to expanding gases or anything. As you said the barrel isn't rifled, nor is it set up so there is a snug fit between the dart and the barrel (this would just produce drag and slow down the shot). So, I can't see any added benefit from having a barrel. All it could do is cause the shot to bounce around some inside the barrel and waste momentum. Ideally the dart should never touch the barrel, and the best way to do that would be to have no barrel at all.

I did a ton of barrel research back in the day because the number of myths and the amount of superstition about paintball barrels is simply staggering. It took a lot of research to figure out the science behind it all.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    here is my opinion on steampunk!

who. the. hell. cares.

if you don't like it, good for you. don't let any gears into your fantasy.

if you do, good for you. put some extra gears in your fantasy.

This has been: "I'm Not Participating In This Conversation Because It's Dumb"

with your host

Guy Who Participated In The Conversation Anyway But Acted All Above It

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular

who. the. hell. cares.

with your host

you are really obnoxious, pony.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Miniatures games are actually pretty cheap

They do eat up a lot of time tho

Speaking as someone who has over $1k in minis?

Nu-uh.

• Options
    The only way I can see myself playing paintball again is if I got into stock class guns (guns are cheaper, $200 range top). You have to pump while rocking the gun forward to load the next paintball, you are limited to 10 or 15 round tubes between reloading, the guns are powered by co2 cartlets instead of tanks. Keeps the cost of equipment down, keeps the cost of paint down.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

who. the. hell. cares.

with your host

I'll accept that any day over carrying on and on about it like steampunk ran over your dog or something.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    yes, legend of korra has a very 1920's vibe to it (airships, jazz, classy gangsters, etc.), but that's where it's drawing its inspiration from

the 1920's

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

I GOTTA FINISH AVATAR NOW

It's so fucking good.

• Options

Compared to some hobbies they ain't so bad. Compared to others its a decent investment.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i am so bad at nerf

my aim is abysmal

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    1% away from playing Skyrim!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Speaking as someone who has over $1k in minis?

Nu-uh.

That doesn't prove anything. I have owned over $1000 worth of books in my life. That does not make books expensive. It means I have a lot of books.

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

who. the. hell. cares.

with your host

sometimes a man says a thing that's not so much an opinion as it is like

an observation of the current state of reality

this is one of those times

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    And I don't know how I feel about whatever specific definition of steampunk you're using. Steampunk isn't even like Cyberpunk where it has clear definitive works that you can point to that started the whole thing. It is pretty much meaningless outside of it being a vague collection of elements.

This is why I try to ignore the entire steampunk category-of-things inasmuch as possible. It's grouping a bunch of wildly different things together by a vague and often misapplied aesthetic. I may as well organize my movie shelves by which ones have the color brown in them.

Well the problem is that people treat steampunk like it's a genre and it's just not. I agree with Pony that the way steampunk is used is dumb. It's like if we had a term for every piece of media that had aliens in it (alienpunk). And then whenever you wanted to indicate that something had aliens in it you call it alienpunk and it automatically has everything else that has aliens in it associated with it. So you've got your Warhammer 40k and you have to describe it as alienpunk and then dudes are all like "What, so it's like Independence Day?"

• Options
    MTG is the most expensive hobby.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I bought a Longstrike last summer and modded it up:

Nerfmod.jpg

The barrel extension significantly reduces the range because the dart can encounter more surface area to slow it down since all the force is generated and immediately expended by the spring.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i don't want to be gross or anything but i am looking at pictures of rihanna and

well

i would wifey dis bish

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

This. It has the illusion of being cheap because it has such a low start-up cost. If you want to play competitively, forget it.

• Options
    i am so bad at nerf

my aim is abysmal

Solution: fire so many boolets that aim is no longer a factor :D

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I am home. I smell of woodsmoke.

how was it

It was fun. Leigh caught her first fish and was very disappointed that I didn't bring the right knives to turn it into food.
    oh, she went too? that sounds cool

I'm glad you had a nice time

how was the weather

Yeah, it was me, her, her roommates and one of their boyfriends. And the weather was pleasant. Not too hot, mostly clear.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Reddit: exposing retards always
    Cd09l.jpg

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Cocaine ain't got shit on MTG. For real.

*Bro fist*

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I know of someone who basically bought all his Warmachine miniatures via trading in his Magic card collection to his local gamestore.

Inquisitor on
  • Options

Yes.

Yes it really is.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

who. the. hell. cares.

with your host

sometimes a man says a thing that's not so much an opinion as it is like

an observation of the current state of reality

this is one of those times

Wait, are you talking about what Nerdgasmic just said.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Man no one told me there was a total tonal shift into urban 1920s style shit with classy organized crime and jazz and shit

I mean I'm already completely sold on seeing Avatar through now that I'm halfway into the first season but oh my god

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I am home. I smell of woodsmoke.

how was it

It was fun. Leigh caught her first fish and was very disappointed that I didn't bring the right knives to turn it into food.
    oh, she went too? that sounds cool

I'm glad you had a nice time

how was the weather

Yeah, it was me, her, her roommates and one of their boyfriends. And the weather was pleasant. Not too hot, mostly clear.
    sounds pretty nice

I'm not much for camping, myself, but that seems like it would be really pleasant

• Options
    fml come on rangers

also domain squatters are terrible

I just miskeyed espn.com and instead typed espn.cm and got like a thousand offers for mac keeper and other terrible spyware shit

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The only way I can see myself playing paintball again is if I got into stock class guns (guns are cheaper, $200 range top). You have to pump while rocking the gun forward to load the next paintball, you are limited to 10 or 15 round tubes between reloading, the guns are powered by co2 cartlets instead of tanks. Keeps the cost of equipment down, keeps the cost of paint down.

Paintball when everyone we went with was using guns from the course? Fun.

The people who showed up the next time in full on head to toe woodland camo including a veil along with a high end gun? Just plain fucking mean.

• Options
    i am so bad at nerf

my aim is abysmal

to be honest there's an upper limit to how good you can be at aiming with nerf guns

which is one of the other things i like about it, when compared to stuff like airsoft or paintball

there's no way to get "hardcore" about it

they're fuckin' nerf guns

they're inaccurate as shit and the only way you could possibly try to get "really good" with them would be like

a lot of practice with a specific gun

and then you finally show up to the game and oh it's slightly windy and your entire practice is worthless

• Options

This. It has the illusion of being cheap because it has such a low start-up cost. If you want to play competitively, forget it.

It's as addictive as gambling but you can't win any money.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

If you buy sensible cards, though, you can usually get a fairly good return on your investment.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    so tired

but

nightmares

:[

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Reddit: exposing retards always
    Cd09l.jpg

That is pretty sweet.

Provided he didn't leave the bathroom till he shaved it all off.

• Options
    :bz wrote:
    so i was at my japanese classes preparing for JET when a girl came up to me with her bosoms showing and two of her sexy friends, saying that they liked my cosplay. i was impressed because it's not a mainstream anime and it deals with a lot of themes, so i invited them airsofting with me. unfortunately they have boyfriends but i still had a fourway, too bad one isnt my girlfriend

hahahahahaha

8->

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It's as addictive as gambling but you can't win any money.

You can if you do it right.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    And I don't know how I feel about whatever specific definition of steampunk you're using. Steampunk isn't even like Cyberpunk where it has clear definitive works that you can point to that started the whole thing. It is pretty much meaningless outside of it being a vague collection of elements.

This is why I try to ignore the entire steampunk category-of-things inasmuch as possible. It's grouping a bunch of wildly different things together by a vague and often misapplied aesthetic. I may as well organize my movie shelves by which ones have the color brown in them.

Well the problem is that people treat steampunk like it's a genre and it's just not. I agree with Pony that the way steampunk is used is dumb. It's like if we had a term for every piece of media that had aliens in it (alienpunk). And then whenever you wanted to indicate that something had aliens in it you call it alienpunk and it automatically has everything else that has aliens in it associated with it. So you've got your Warhammer 40k and you have to describe it as alienpunk and then dudes are all like "What, so it's like Independence Day?"

this sums it up really well.

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »

If you buy sensible cards, though, you can usually get a fairly good return on your investment.

Any format is going to cost a decent amount of cash. T2? Gotta update your deck every set and I can guarantee there will be at least 4 $20 cards you need to buy. Booster draft you have to be really good to have that pay for itself.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Woot woot. Jury duty excused.

And actually, they must've been surprisingly fast given how slow I was sending that letter back.

• Options
    i played some magic but it never really clicked with me.

i used to make a bunch of money on Pokemon cards when that was really hot and you couldn't buy them anywhere.

i played a lot of mechwarrior and original warhammer

although i was that guy who never painted his minis or just painted them really basic, like maybe 2 colors, tops.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    i am so bad at nerf

my aim is abysmal

to be honest there's an upper limit to how good you can be at aiming with nerf guns

which is one of the other things i like about it, when compared to stuff like airsoft or paintball

there's no way to get "hardcore" about it

they're fuckin' nerf guns

they're inaccurate as shit and the only way you could possibly try to get "really good" with them would be like

a lot of practice with a specific gun

and then you finally show up to the game and oh it's slightly windy and your entire practice is worthless

I've trained under every condition Pony. I have a squire who follows me constantly, who always keeps one finger to the wind, telling me the speed and direction. I've modified the sights on all of my guns to compensate for this drift in real time.

Pew pew!

This discussion has been closed.