As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Discussions of Wil Wheaton's cardboard nerd-cred consolidated here.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm confused, antherem. That IS the rule they recommend in Quarmageddon. You can either cull the die that's scoring to score, or you can not cull it and just follow the normal rules.

Maybe I misread it, but it looks like you can only cull the die that just scored.
    "When you score a die, you can only cull the die that scored and you can only score the glory for that die if you cull it. I.e, if you score with a Quake Dragon Die, THAT dragon is the only die you may cull and you only score the glory if you cull it!."

Right. Which is what you said. If you score a die, you can only cull it. If you choose not to score with it, that rule doesn't apply.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I'm confused, antherem. That IS the rule they recommend in Quarmageddon. You can either cull the die that's scoring to score, or you can not cull it and just follow the normal rules.

Maybe I misread it, but it looks like you can only cull the die that just scored.
    "When you score a die, you can only cull the die that scored and you can only score the glory for that die if you cull it. I.e, if you score with a Quake Dragon Die, THAT dragon is the only die you may cull and you only score the glory if you cull it!."

Right. Which is what you said. If you score a die, you can only cull it. If you choose not to score with it, that rule doesn't apply.

Right, but the only time you can cull (without some card effect that says you can) is when you score a creature.
    "After scoring, you may choose to “cull” your collection. Each Creature that scores allows you to cull any one die from your
    Used Pile (including the Creature that just scored or any spells attached to it)."

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Figures after I already blew through my game budget and they haven't even arrived yet. Guess I'll have to wait for a bit now. Maybe by the time it releases I'll have the spare cash again.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Just bought an iPad. Is there a way to easily see all the boardgame apps available on it?

Or can people just recommend me some?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Just bought an iPad. Is there a way to easily see all the boardgame apps available on it?

Ticket to Ride. Bang. Carcassonne. Ascension.
    Elder Sign is a decent port, but it wears out its welcome.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Summoner Wars is coming out very soon barring app rejection.

Otherwise google for IOS Board Games and you will find the bgg blog with a ton of games.

I really like Le Havre.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    There's a free Dominion app that has the blessing of the makers of the boardgame as well. It's rough and ready, but it works. Small World is ok, but only plays two.

The company that makes Eclipse is releasing an iOS version sometime soon.

Bogart on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I played Citadels for the first time the other day with 3 players and I must say that it is a LOT better than playing it with 5 or 6 players, which is how I usually played. Mostly that its the fact that the game goes a lot faster, I feel. With each player getting two turns per game round (and being able to set up combos more easily by picking two roles) the game just moves a lot quicker which is much appreciated. Also the annoying factor of certain roles is mitigated to a large extent by having two roles. If you get assassinated only one of you roles gets knocked out. You miss half of a round instead of a whole one. Three players seems like the definite way to go with this game.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Ticket to Ride. Bang. Carcassonne. Ascension.
    Elder Sign is a decent port, but it wears out its welcome.

Knizia games as well -- Through the Desert, Tigris & Euphrates, Ra, Samurai. Also Caylus.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So can someone list some good board games available on Android? I've looked for a few and am tired of finding several dozen 'dominion card randomizer' 'ticket to ride train counters' and other useless shit when im trying to find the actual game to play.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    So can someone list some good board games available on Android? I've looked for a few and am tired of finding several dozen 'dominion card randomizer' 'ticket to ride train counters' and other useless shit when im trying to find the actual game to play.

This, basically.

It's... pretty bleak.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

This, basically.

It's... pretty bleak.

FFG is at least trying, bless their hearts, but in general nobody's making games for Android because they don't make money. There's Androminion, and Isotropic works, but if you don't like Dominion it's pretty sparse out there. :( I've basically given up on Android at this point. (The platform, not the board game Android.)

• Options
    Yeah. I'm split platform -- Android phone, iPad -- and the difference is... painful.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm split platform -- Android phone, iPad -- and the difference is... painful.

I'm the same, but it works out ok because once I got the iPad, I didn't really care about using my phone for anything other than calling and web browsing.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Same, but I would really like to have asynchronous board games on my phone because it's a lot easier to pull out and play a few turns every half hour. Especially when I'm at work.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Man, people with their "smart" phones. The only wireless device I own that has a mobile data plan is my Vita. My phone is "that thing that sits in your bag for emergencies that is never actually turned on so the battery doesn't die."

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular

Neuroshima Hex
    Imperial
    Small World

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Man, people with their "smart" phones. The only wireless device I own that has a mobile data plan is my Vita. My phone is "that thing that sits in your bag for emergencies that is never actually turned on so the battery doesn't die."

I don't even have a Vita. :P

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Damnit.

At my FLGS, and there's a copy of Eclipse staring at me.

Tempting me.

Gah...

EDIT:

...And now I have a copy of Eclipse sitting in my trunk. D:

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Damnit.

Tempting me.

Gah...

EDIT:

This was the right move. Don't think anything otherwise.

In non-purchase news, whilst on vacation, I got to hang out with @AcidLacedPenguin for an afternoon. We only pulled together one game, but decided to just dive into Death Angel, as he had not yet gotten to play it after owning it for nearly a year, and I was genuinely interested in trying it. We had a blast, although we did well enough that we questioned if we did something wrong (we checked - we didn't). Highlights included green team twice rolling a 4 when we desperately needed to kill a stack of 3 genestealers (this is why we both know that while we probably played okay, luck was a big factor), and several events in a row that had my red team saying, "Shit, everything is the other direction. Oh wait, now it's in front of us! Oh damn, now it's behind us again. Hey, we can sho- FRAK, THEY MOVED AGAIN!"
    Blue team was lost valiantly on my string of 4 consecutive 0 rolls, but it left a good opening for the other marines further down the formation. Gideon also bit the dust, but not before heroically blocking a stack of 6 genestealers to buy us a pretty critical turn.

Overall, among co-op games, this was one I enjoyed heavily. It shares my ranks with Pandemic and Shadows Over Camelot, while perhaps edging out many aspects of those two through the use of the 'Instinct' mechanic. Why is that so simple and smart? And why hasn't something else employed a similar mechanic yet? :s

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

Yeah, I love the Android ecosystem, but this is one case in which the non-standardization of OS versions and the absence of a dominant Android tablet really hurts. It's difficult to see ANYBODY moving into this kind of UI-heavy product with Android the way it is. But it's only a matter of time before there's a compelling tablet market, and then you'll see a new wave of board games on tablets and phones. It's already happening with non-game applications like Instagram and Google Now (Siri competitor).

It's also possible that we'll start seeing some really polished HTML5-powered board games ports, which would also be a huge boon for Android phones/tablets, but that's another technology that's still taking shape.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Played a solo game of Death Angel where I controlled all six teams (which was a bit of a doozy, lemme tell you) but won pretty handily. Lost one guy (poor poor flamer, not even 3 support tokens are gonna save you if you are gonna roll that many zeros on me!). It took me a bit of reading over the cards a couple time for our old strategies to come back to me. But pretty soon I was forming the mega-swarm and alternating CC and defensive moves on it, stacking tokens on doors and leaving areas with one blip stack empty and one blip stack full.

I think I really should spring for the expansions, I like the game but I think my group has 'solved' the base version pretty decently.

Thinking about this a bit more playing 1 player with all 12 marines rather than "proper" one player with 6 marines is going to make things a bunch easier as you have many more sacrificial targets for really bad event cards.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Speaking of iOS board games -- I own both Le Havre and Caylus but find games vs. AI wholly unsatisfying. Does anyone out there own either? If so, post/PM me your game center names and let's try to get some games going. Ideally I would like to get three players.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Damnit.

Tempting me.

Gah...

EDIT:

I didn't get the $100 standard price. Sure the components are decent, but most of it is cardboard and there are lots of $60-$80 games with many more plastic pieces.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Damnit.

Tempting me.

Gah...

EDIT:

I didn't get the $100 standard price. Sure the components are decent, but most of it is cardboard and there are lots of $60-$80 games with many more plastic pieces.

Then get it on CoolStuffInc for like 80.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Finally got a chance to break in my copy of 7 Wonders with 4 players last night.
    I thought it was a fun game, and it's nice how quick the pace is (especially as people get used to the game). And both games were pretty close at the end, all four of us finished within about 6 points of each other.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So a friend of mine is starting a Blood Bowl league at the LGS and I got to play a couple of trial games before the "Season Zero" starts up, which is going to be a mock season where people can try out various teams and don't have to commit to anything but if they want to keep the same team they can carry their winnings over to the beginning of "Season One" where people will be locked into a team like usual in league play.

What's ridiculous is one could buy all the minis to make the full team I've made and it'd end up costing less than the actual base game. What's with your pricing structure, Games Workshop?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    At this point I'm pretty sure the only reason the boxed set still exists is for the novelty factor. All the Blood Bowl leagues I know of use custom-print pitches and teams made up of models from all over the place.

My High Elf team is a box of WHFB High Elf White Lions, and my Necro team is a combination of GW Ghouls and Wights, Reaper Werewolves, and Impact Flesh Golems.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Custom pitches? What about the mats with the player boxes and match timers and the reroll markers? And all those rule reference cards?

Using models from all over the place, that is perfectly understandable, even though Blood Bowl minis are like the most reasonably priced minis on all of GW's website, considering they're all metal. Keep in mind I mean reasonable by GW standards.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    I don't know how widespread they are, but in the Northwest (Seattle/Vancouver, ~80 coaches in leagues between them) custom pitches with 40mm squares are common. They have the full player boxes/turn timers/score tracks all on one sheet, and the 40mm squares make it much easier to use big models for big guys.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Got to play a game of Ticket to Ride with 5 players yesterday. My dad won, but my mom and I weren't far behind. I then played over the course of the day 5 games with my wife. I won the first three, and she won the last two. Lots of fun! A few of the games came down to 1 train for longest and 1 point between winning and losing.

I also should be getting the 3 games I ordered today in the mail, and I'm super excited to try them all out. Hopefully can get some game time in tomorrow and Saturday.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I've basically given up on Android at this point. (The platform, not the board game Android.)

I got Android to the gaming table yesterday!

The other four players (all new to the game but definitely not new to boardgaming) threw in the towel after Day Four. :\

Which I expected, honestly. It's like the game puts out a specific frequency of radiation; you have to expose people to it to see who can tolerate it, but you can't expect the others to suffer for that long. Still, I think I gained one more potential player.

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular

In addition to many of the recommendations so far (Ascension, Summoner Wars) I'd like to mention Nightfall. It's a deck building game in the genre of Dominion, with a post apocalypse, vampire/werewolf/zombie setting and direct conflict. The game features a really innovative "chain" mechanism that allows multiple actions per turn, as well as options to act during your opponents' turns to reduce downtime. And really neat artwork. Good stuff all around.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    What's the call on Twilight Struggle and Labyrinth: War on Terror?

I see TS topping #1 on a ton of BGG lists, and Labyrinth looks amusing on theme.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Twilight Struggle is a good game if you have another very hardcore boardgamer to play with. The game's mechanics are nonintuitive, subtle and complicated, and play depends on deep knowledge of a large set of cards. But if you do have another geek to play with, the decisionmaking and secondguessing are a lot of fun and it has a lot of replay value.

I think the BGG ranking is due to the very strong appeal to the people who buy/play it; it's a niche game, but really good if you're in that niche.

• Options
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Twilight Struggle is a good game if you have another very hardcore boardgamer to play with. The game's mechanics are nonintuitive, subtle and complicated, and play depends on deep knowledge of a large set of cards. But if you do have another geek to play with, the decisionmaking and secondguessing are a lot of fun and it has a lot of replay value.

I think the BGG ranking is due to the very strong appeal to the people who buy/play it; it's a niche game, but really good if you're in that niche.

How hardcore we talking about? If someone can handle Arkham Horror, could they handle Twilight Struggle?

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I think the following blog post is probably a good indication.

http://twilightstrategy.com/2012/06/18/annotated-game-2-early-war/

If you enjoy games where your thought process goes like that, you will enjoy TS.

• Options
    sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So thoughts on Sky Traders from Fantasy Flight? Anyone try it yet? My friend ordered it and I am very interested in trying it out, although he says it is very similar to Merchants of Venus (not exactly a bad thing, but mayt be TOO similar?).

sartori on
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »

I didn't find this to be the case. Anything in particular you found nonintuitive? Just curious.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The first time I played twilight struggle we fumbled around aimlessly for a few turns and someone won on turn three. The short and long term strategies of that game are not immediately apparent and take playthroughs to tease out.