As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 is COMPLETELY SOLD OUT!

• Options
    Goblin ScrewdriverGoblin Screwdriver Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I was lucky enough to get a three day pass and I'm still upset about this. This will be my 7th year at PAX Prime and I'm already getting worried that there won't be an 8th given that I can't purchase tickets on a moments notice.

Funny that what bugs me more than having to pay the extra $40 (still well worth the money) is not having the physical, 3 day badge as memento. I am hoping to get them all framed some day.

PAX Prime attendee since 2006

Pointless signature checklist [x]
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    The Official PAX Twitter is being really helpful & answering questions right now, for those interested.

For those who think they 'made' less 3-Day badges this year, this is false. It's the same as last year. The demand is simply higher, which just means more of us want to get together & share this experience every year. Think about all of you who have gone in previous years, loved it & brought two friends the next. Those two friends are now bringing two friends. Pass the love! But also understand when the love fills capacity.

You make it sound so tawdry...

I don't see what the city of Seattle has to do with scalping...

Selling outside the venue is the last resort of scalpers. Seattle could make this illegal. It would chill the scalper market quite a bit.

Theoretically.

Doubtful. Most scalping sales occurs online these days. The only scalpers that such a law would affect are the very small-time scalpers, which usually don't have an impact on sales. If this sell-out was a result of scalpers, then it was probably a major scalping business and they'll be selling online.

• Options
    Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    I was lucky enough to get a three day pass and I'm still upset about this. This will be my 7th year at PAX Prime and I'm already getting worried that there won't be an 8th given that I can't purchase tickets on a moments notice.

Funny that what bugs me more than having to pay the extra $40 (still well worth the money) is not having the physical, 3 day badge as memento. I am hoping to get them all framed some day.

Maybe someone at the con would be willing to trade you. Don't give up hope!

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Guys. Guys. 1.75ish tickets/unique purchase means it's not Teh Ebil Skalperz.

It's us. Lots of us. Dorks wanting to go play. More of us every year.

This... Is not a bad thing. It's inconvenient and kinda sucks if you weren't one of the dorks that snagged a 3day, but... We're all dorks, there's a crapload of us, and we all wanna go to Dorkville to party with our fellow dorks.

Look at it this way: At least it wasn't like Burning Man, which had a freaking lottery, so you had no IDEA if you could go with your friends or not.

Also, as a local, yeah, there is literally nowhere bigger. Not with "rooms" and "tables" and such. This is already one of the, if not THE, biggest things to hit Seattle each year. I literally don't know what they can do except "acquire more buildings", which be fair, has some tricky bits to it, right?

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    The Official PAX Twitter is being really helpful & answering questions right now, for those interested.

For those who think they 'made' less 3-Day badges this year, this is false. It's the same as last year. The demand is simply higher, which just means more of us want to get together & share this experience every year. Think about all of you who have gone in previous years, loved it & brought two friends the next. Those two friends are now bringing two friends. Pass the love! But also understand when the love fills capacity.

Selling outside the venue is the last resort of scalpers. Seattle could make this illegal. It would chill the scalper market quite a bit.

Theoretically.

Doubtful. Most scalping sales occurs online these days. The only scalpers that such a law would affect are the very small-time scalpers, which usually don't have an impact on sales. If this sell-out was a result of scalpers, then it was probably a major scalping business and they'll be selling online.

You musta missed the guy with a dozen badges outside last year.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Theoretically.

You musta missed the guy with a dozen badges outside last year.

Chances of those badges being real... Heh. Not last year.

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    I... wow, this completely took me by surprise. I held off from grabbing tickets today because my company told me that they were grabbing some for people, but now I'm a bit worried that they didn't grab them in time either. Cookie Brigading will be awfully hard if I can't get into PAX. O_o;;;; eek Got to talk to them in the morning. Yikes.

How fast was the fastest sellout up to now? I feel like last PAX Prime it took at least a month or two before it sold out.

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    I... wow, this completely took me by surprise. I held off from grabbing tickets today because my company told me that they were grabbing some for people, but now I'm a bit worried that they didn't grab them in time either. Cookie Brigading will be awfully hard if I can't get into PAX. O_o;;;; eek Got to talk to them in the morning. Yikes.

How fast was the fastest sellout up to now? I feel like last PAX Prime it took at least a month or two before it sold out.

Last prime 3 days went 22 or 21 days. I believe 22.

• Options
    TamwulfTamwulf Registered User regular
    All I have to say is that this is HORSESHIT. Registration was FUBAR last week, and in less then a couple hours, they sold out of 3 day badges? This is the second year in a row I haven't been able to purchase a 3-day pass.

Que the QQ'ing.

Witty Comments Require No Explanation,
    Sarcasm Allows None.
  • Options
    WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular

Last Year they were gone within 22 Days of registration.

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Statistics: That's not how they work.

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular

you might want to pick up 3 3 day passes

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Evil_Demon55Evil_Demon55 Registered User regular
    Any idea on how long the 1 day passes will last for? A day, two days, a week?

• Options
    NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    As much as I hate the assholes who are obviously scalping... I guess you do what you need to do to get into PAX. =/ If only there was a way to filter out scalpers, like people who went to PAX the year before are on some sort of email list that says when registration goes online, or has some sort of code that allows you to buy tickets the year after that you get after signing up inside the con. I assume scalpers don't actually ATTEND the con?

So next year, Comic Con speeds... 3-Day passes sold out in 1-3 hours.

Year after that, it'll be Blizz Con speeds- 10 minutes.

Oh, and not to mention you'll be fighting the servers as they try to handle everyone refreshing. It's like registering for popular college classes at a big university like Univ. of WA... ugh.

I swear, every big con I attend turns out like this whenever I attend them for the first time. X_x

Nazoshadow on
  • Options

Statistics: That's not how they work.

Okay, then either every outfit selling tickets has access to a titanic amount of unique name/card combos, or there's an utter TON of small-volume ticket resellers, or "there's a crapload of nerds who wanna go to PAX".

Good Evening, Mr. Occam.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Nazoshadow wrote: »
    As much as I hate the assholes who are obviously scalping... I guess you do what you need to do to get into PAX. =/

Oh, and not to mention you'll be fighting the servers as they try to handle everyone refreshing. It's like registering for popular college classes at a big university like Univ. of WA... ugh.

I swear, every big con I attend turns out like this whenever I attend them for the first time. X_x

If your into anime Try Sakura-con.Held in the exact same place as Pax Prime.They do reg differently.And their reg is open all year long.

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • Options
    mossey3535mossey3535 Registered User regular
    My friend and I checked at 2pm PST. I then embarked on an amazing (for me) spree of productivity and focus. Then my other friend calls me and tells me they are sold out. Man, who would have thought being productive would screw me over so hard?

• Options
    NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    As much as I hate the assholes who are obviously scalping... I guess you do what you need to do to get into PAX. =/

If your into anime Try Sakura-con.Held in the exact same place as Pax Prime.They do reg differently.And their reg is open all year long.
    OK, maybe Sakura Con never sells out... but to be honest I feel like whenever I go I am paying just to get into the Exhibitor's hall and waste more of my money on merchandise. XD

The concerts and VA meetings are pretty cool, but I never feel like I get my money's worth like I do at Anime Expo in CA. At least PAX and Anime Expo has more industry announcements.
    (Don't get me wrong, I like Sakura Con... I would just rather spend that money on PAX tickets.)

• Options
    OmniscientlyMeOmniscientlyMe Registered User regular
    At this rate, they should just have a week of registration for the 3-day badges before anything else and have a lottery for who gets to buy them.

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

Presuming there's time, PAX tweets out various milestons (usually 50%, 25%, and <1000 left, but it varies based on speed and such.) It will usually appear in this thread mere moments later.

• Options
    tsrblke wrote: »

Presuming there's time, PAX tweets out various milestons (usually 50%, 25%, and <1000 left, but it varies based on speed and such.) It will usually appear in this thread mere moments later.
    Would you say tomorrow around 5pm PST there will still be all 3? My friend won't be able to buy them until tomorrow and the same goes for me, and I don't want to be worrying about them selling out. Will the twitter say theres like 1000 left? I never saw them post that for the 3 days.

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular

Would you say tomorrow around 5pm PST there will still be all 3? My friend won't be able to buy them until tomorrow and the same goes for me, and I don't want to be worrying about them selling out. Will the twitter say theres like 1000 left? I never saw them post that for the 3 days.

I would say there's no guarantee all three will be left an hour from now. 3 days sold out more than ten times as fast as they ever have before, so there's no way of predicting how fast everything else will sell out. Sorry to make you worry, but I'm afraid that's the truth.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options

OK, maybe Sakura Con never sells out... but to be honest I feel like whenever I go I am paying just to get into the Exhibitor's hall and waste more of my money on merchandise. XD

The concerts and VA meetings are pretty cool, but I never feel like I get my money's worth like I do at Anime Expo in CA. At least PAX and Anime Expo has more industry announcements.
    (Don't get me wrong, I like Sakura Con... I would just rather spend that money on PAX tickets.)

lol yeah i realized that as well.Was unable to go to it this year but i'm going to pax instead. Just saying that Sakura-con does have a slightly better registration method.Not of how long they are open but to how they make it for you to buy your badge.Pretty much they make it so only one person can buy their badge.With having to have an actual name on the badge....unless it changed this year.I noticed the form changed.

• Options

I would say there's no guarantee all three will be left an hour from now. 3 days sold out more than ten times as fast as they ever have before, so there's no way of predicting how fast everything else will sell out. Sorry to make you worry, but I'm afraid that's the truth.

Damn you! But you're right. I was reading twitter posts and they were saying 1 days should be lasting until the weekend, but they also said people should be fine with 3 day passes the other day.

I think if the servers never went down last week, then things would never have been so hectic. People probably said tickets are up, but the servers are down and so everyone rushed to get there tickets asap once they came back online. I don't think they will sell out day 1 next year (unless the same problem occurs), but they will sell out very quickly.

• Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Look at it this way: At least it wasn't like Burning Man, which had a freaking lottery, so you had no IDEA if you could go with your friends or not.

This is where my mind went, but if you're a burner and have been reading their threads, a few of the cities also came up with the idea of printing names on their tickets to curb scalpers from last year. Also, BM doesn't even have an easy door for overzealous scalpers to sell their extras in front of and they still have scalping issues.

But, back to the point, there has to be a way to curb scalpers. And, maybe it's not printing names on badges, but perhaps it's tying names to badges and having all of them require IDs at Will-Call.

Does anybody know if Blizzcon, Comicon, DragonCon or any of the others have scalpers to deal with, and how they do deal with it? PAX is getting enough fame and notoriety that precautions should be advanced next year as much as possible that do not discriminate against first timers coming around.

And, in full disclosure, I was lucky enough to buy two 3-day passes this year.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    The only way to deal with scalpers, really, is to have more tickets. In this case, that basically means adding another PAX.

This may or may not kill any or all of the guys if they tried it.

Even adding more PAXen won't necessarily fix it, because you get assholes like me that will consider going to multiples. But it helps.

• Options
    EsoomEsoom Registered User regular
    I had 2 coworkers buy 4+ passes with the sole intent to scalp them. They had no interest in the con whatsoever.

I was lucky enough to get my pass, but I still find this entire ordeal bs.

While they say the average pass sale is 1.74737373 (or whatever the number is) there's still a lot of people scalping. What's even worse is now this forum isn't allowing sales because of fears over fake passes... Really? You don't have the capability to prevent this after frauds have been passed around for the past 2 years? I'm sorry, but a convention as big as PAX should have learned by now.

I've been going to PAX for the past five years and this might be my last.

• Options
    Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    lol Passes are already popping up on CL.

Well, that was fun while it lasted. Unless something significantly changes, I can't see this situation getting any better in the coming years.

Here's hoping for the 'need a pass' thread again since I don't expect the 1 days to last til I get paid again. lol

Eticket109 on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Given the popularity of PAX and the size of the Seattle convention center to assume so many of the ticket sales were for scalping are absolutely ridiculous here.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hopefully my final question of the night, but this just came to mind. If I was to only get a Saturday Pass and in the future realize I couldn't make the Saturday, but instead a Friday or Sunday, could I then trade my pass on THIS site? Or is that still not allowed?

If no because of fakes, could the trade be in person then at the convention?

I don't think this will be the case this year, but in future years to come, it might be.

--Again, just a question, whether dumb or not, I would like to know the answer.

Evil_Demon55 on
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Not ridiculous at all. Those of us who live in Seattle know that the scalpers were actively recruiting people to purchase tickets for them (offering +$10 for every 3 day badge purchased in various advertisements). You're already seeing ads all over the place for badges @ $130+ a piece. My circle knew weeks ago that this was going to be a one-day affair, which is why we bought a crapload of badges as soon as registration opened so that our friends wouldn't have to go through scalpers.

The secret is, sadly, out.

Quintious on
  • Options
    KouzidanKouzidan Woodland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hopefully my final question of the night, but this just came to mind. If I was to only get a Saturday Pass and in the future realize I couldn't make the Saturday, but instead a Friday or Sunday, could I then trade my pass on THIS site? Or is that still not allowed?

If no because of fakes, could the trade be in person then at the convention?

I don't think this will be the case this year, but in future years to come, it might be.

--Again, just a question, whether dumb or not, I would like to know the answer.

Given the 'No Selling' of badges that has come down, I'm inclined to believe that trading is a no no on these forums as a means to avoid being called in to mediate a bad trade.

Kouzidan on
    Origin: Kouzidan
  • Options
    Goblin ScrewdriverGoblin Screwdriver Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Even adding more PAXen won't necessarily fix it, because you get assholes like me that will consider going to multiples. But it helps.
    Yeah, When PAX East was announced I thought it might lighten up the load on Prime as people on the east coast would have their own PAX to attend. Yet still I hear this all the time "I went to PAX East last year and thought it was so awesome that I decided to come over here for Prime".

PAX Prime attendee since 2006

Pointless signature checklist [x]
  • Options
    OneBarOneBar The #1 Super Homie SeattleRegistered User regular
    Damn 3-days out so soon this year?! Luckily I got mine when registration first went on sale! Can't wait to see everyone there!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm super tempted to throw hot sauce water balloons at the scalpers outside this year.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I'm super tempted to throw hot sauce water balloons at the scalpers outside this year.

I'm super tempted to supply you with the aforementioned hot sauce.

• Options
    Yeah, When PAX East was announced I thought it might lighten up the load on Prime as people on the east coast would have their own PAX to attend. Yet still I hear this all the time "I went to PAX East last year and thought it was so awesome that I decided to come over here for Prime".
    Yeah I know! But hey, Prime is by far the best, and Seattle is sort of the technology city, so Prime is probably a lot better than East for those two reason; technology and because it has more experience. They need a PAX Central to ease the attendance I think. Not everyone can afford to travel to 3 different cities a year, so hopefully they just pick two, Cental and East... so I can keep my Prime :p

• Options
    Yeah I know! But hey, Prime is by far the best, and Seattle is sort of the technology city, so Prime is probably a lot better than East for those two reason; technology and because it has more experience. They need a PAX Central to ease the attendance I think. Not everyone can afford to travel to 3 different cities a year, so hopefully they just pick two, Cental and East... so I can keep my Prime :p

Oh yeah, I'm sure that'll go over really well.

Can't wait to attend PAX Cornfield.

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for them to do doublepax... where they get both convention centers in a city at the same time.

Logistically that's probably ridiculous, but I think that it would be awesome.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    HondaCivetHondaCivet Registered User regular
    I saw that the system was back up earlier today but I was sure that it could wait until I got home . . . my mistake's costing me $70. Not that it's not worth it but that's a good couple pieces of merch I'll have to skip. :\

I also was in a panic because the registration system absolutely refused to take my credit cards for no apparent reason. I changed computers and THEN it worked fine. No wonder they tried to switch away from this system. The one they tried this year must've been REALLY awful to lose out, haha.

Really, my biggest fear is that I'll be done with PAX after this one because getting tickets will be virtually impossible. I really hope that they do a full analysis of the ticket situation and make sure next year's setup can accommodate the obviously increasing demand in a much fairer way than what happened this year.

This discussion has been closed.