Options

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    masseffect_03_1280x760.jpg

masseffect_02_1280x760.jpg

I've been told these shots were new today. I may be wrong. Resurrecting this thread though.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is it just me or does Shephard's face look a little strange in that first shot?

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They've been out since Feb 7th, but hey, they're awesome.

Edit: Yeah, the default Shepards's face has changed, subtly, over development.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've seen those shots a while ago.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shephard, go back to sleep.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Shephard, go back to sleep.

You know, I was thinking that exact same thing.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Still looks amazing. I haven't been this excited by an upcoming game since Wind Waker.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Actually what is awesome is the landscape curving up in the distance, where you suddenly realise - holy shit, Citadel station is a real habitat station, and it is massive.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's not awesome is it's still not out. :(

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

or the fact that both pictures look like examples of "and here's what happens if you try cracking a joke, and it falls flat"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

or the fact that both pictures look like examples of "and here's what happens if you try cracking a joke, and it falls flat"

I can see this happening in the first screenie.

The guy is all like 'yeah riiiiiiight?'

and Shepard just blasts him away.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    masseffect_02_1280x760.jpg

This is a screenshot I've been wondering about, though. Is this just a new skin for the formerly white latex wearing character that's been in all the videos or is this a look at female Shepard? She certainly is an N7.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh... oh shit. I've done it everywhere, all over again.

Shit!!!

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

I can see this happening in the first screenie.

The guy is all like 'yeah riiiiiiight?'

and Shepard just blasts him away.

and the dude on the left is lining up his best Morbo quote.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seriously, fuck Bioware. My current contract pays a whole lot less and now I'm going to have to buy a goddamn console.

Bastards.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This is a screenshot I've been wondering about, though. Is this just a new skin for the formerly white latex wearing character that's been in all the videos or is this a look at female Shepard? She certainly is an N7.

Okay, you've hit upon a question that was the subject of a dozens-pages long series of threads on the official forums.

Basically, it's possible. It's very possible that that is a female Shepard; if so it'd be the only shot of her. But it's not for certain she's an N7.

We're not sure how armour works in detail, but from what we've heard it seems that armour is designed to change and adjust to different characters. So it's very possible we could take Shepard's default N7 armour and have Ashley wear it. Or even the big hulking Krogan guy next to her in that screenshot (though whether armour can be equipped cross race is a fuzzier subject).

But we also know that helmets are equipped separately, and she's wearing a helmet that matches the N7 suit.

So. Eh. No idea.

Edit: Actually, my hunch is that it is just Ashley in Shepard's armour, since Bioware seem determined to push the default Shepard in media shots and videos.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Okay, you've hit upon a question that was the subject of a dozens-pages long series of threads on the official forums.

Basically, it's possible. It's very possible that that is a female Shepard; if so it'd be the only shot of her. But it's not for certain she's an N7.

We're not sure how armour works in detail, but from what we've heard it seems that armour is designed to change and adjust to different characters. So it's very possible we could take Shepard's default N7 armour and have Ashley wear it. Or even the big hulking Krogan guy next to her in that screenshot (though whether armour can be equipped cross race is a fuzzier subject).

But we also know that helmets are equipped separately, and she's wearing a helmet that matches the N7 suit.

So. Eh. No idea.

Edit: Actually, my hunch is that it is just Ashley in Shepard's armour, since Bioware seem determined to push the default Shepard in media shots and videos.

That's kind of disappointing. :(

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What part, exactly?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    AceedAceed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's a female Shepard.

I beta tested this at Microsoft a few weeks ago.

Pretty fun game, but it just seemed to scream out "KOTOR" at every turn.

Aceed on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aceed wrote: »
    It's a female Shepard.

Pretty fun game, but it just seemed to scream out "AWESOME" at every turn.

Fixed because they are synonyms.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's a female Shepard.

Pretty fun game, but it just seemed to scream out "AWESOME" at every turn.

Fixed because they are synonyms.
    Your sig is funny, but it would be even funnier if the punchline said 'So the bartender gave it to her.' Eh, eh? Wink wink.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Not saying that KOTOR was in any way, shape or form bad, but once you've played through KOTOR1, KOTOR2, and Jade Empire a million times, the "genre" started to get stale for me.

But like hell I'm going to shit on any sci-fi RPG.

Aceed on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is there any updated gameplay videos availible?

The last one I saw, with the 1st (or was it 3rd) person shooter segments were utterly, utterly poor gameplay wise. The movement was all completely linear, and very unsmooth and everything felt like something from 1995, control wise.

I mean, even if this kicks Gears of War graphically, the former game has the controls, fluidity and moves.

Fuck speech trees and non-linearity if the shooting sequences between talking with people sucks.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Not saying that KOTOR was in any way, shape or form bad, but once you've played through KOTOR1, KOTOR2, and Jade Empire a million times, the "genre" started to get stale for me.

But like hell I'm going to shit on any sci-fi RPG.

I understood what you meant.

I dunno, could be a bad thing, could be a good thing. I dont think Ill ever get tired of the Kotor forumula, and if they keep refining it to perfection that can only be good right?

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The controls are pretty good, actually. The part I hated was having to switch weapons.

You have to hold a button then press a direction on the D pad....doing this mid-combat when you're trying to move around was kind of retarded since you had to completely stop in order to change weapons.

Gameplay wise....eh it's still in beta.

Edit: Graphics as of a few weeks ago are nothing like GOW. But again, it's in beta.

Aceed on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, that's still pretty cool. Thanks for clearing up the screenshot!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What part, exactly?

The part where you don't know anything.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    this... game... is.... AWESOME!!!

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What part, exactly?

The part where you don't know anything.

ouuuch

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's a female Shepard.

I interpret that as you went in expecting it to be more and greater, like they seem to be promoting it as, and it just came out (gameplay wise, at least) feeling exactly like KotOR and Jade Empire? I can see that and expect it, actually. However, they have been saying how they're blurring further the line of the good and evil choices, such as how far you're willing to go to save the galaxy. Yet they said that with Jade Empire, too, I believe, and it wasn't. It'll be a great game, and probably better than KotOR and Jade Empire, though.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    It's a female Shepard.

I interpret that as you went in expecting it to be more and greater, like they seem to be promoting it as, and it just came out (gameplay wise, at least) feeling exactly like KotOR and Jade Empire? I can see that and expect it, actually. However, they have been saying how they're blurring further the line of the good and evil choices, such as how far you're willing to go to save the galaxy. Yet they said that with Jade Empire, too, I believe, and it wasn't. It'll be a great game, and probably better than KotOR and Jade Empire, though.
    I'll believe the part about having more gray areas, moralwise, when I see it. Bioware seems to have some kind of block when it comes to the more gray areas of morality, sometimes they manage to score a hit but the further you progress in their games the further the rift between major saint and major thug/asshole becomes.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    As long as their future titles let me play a finesse-orientated badass with a political approach as opposed to some baby-kicking granny-stomper, then I'm happy.

...wait, politicians do that anyway, don't they?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

Well, to be honest I had never seen any of the promo material. I do that on purpose with RPGs so I get the full effect of them rather than end up spending my life checking for NEW SCREENIES OMG!!! every other day.

I knew it was basically a "generic" (Read:non-branded) sci-fi RPG, but that was it.

After getting to play it for about two hours, I can say that the gameplay was fun, but EXTREMELY easy. There wasn't an option to turn off auto aim so if you got within an inch of the target a reticule popped up targetting it and all your bullets hit it.

And to put it bluntly, it's most likely another KOTOR and JE. Which isn't a bad thing. I just know they're going to need to innovate beyond taking this "genre" and slapping a new skin and dialogue options on it.

There are a thousand other things I could say about it, but I don't feel like breaking the NDA all at once.

Aceed on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I noticed they said in an interview they have a 'Paragon - Renegade' morality counter.

This makes me sad.

Iriah on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    I noticed they said in an interview they have a 'Paragon - Renegade' morality counter.

This makes me sad.

Sigh. Dammit Bioware, can we please get away from the cut and dry morality meter? That's the first big step to gray areas. Not fucking telling us whether what we do is right or wrong.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Blargh, I thought it was going to be a reputation counter? I'd sooner have some stat determining my standing with my commanders than a meter that displays my moral position in the galaxy as a whole.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Paragon - Renegade sounds more like reputation than morality to me.

captaink on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Whether it's morality or reputation doesn't mean that much to me; it just seems too much like Kotor's system for comfort.
    BioWare is aiming to have the players make hard choices which not only affect their game immediately after making them, but also have repercussions throughout the universe. Muzyka is fond of describing Shepard as the "tip of the spear of humanity" in that Shepard is the first human Spectre operative, and hence is under constant scrutiny by the rest of universe as a model of human behavior. The doctors showed a brief glimpse of the "Paragon/Renegade" system, which are two separate meters that reflect the player's actions, and teased with, "We'll talk more about how that actually works later."

From http://au.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/mass-effect/771004p2.html

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    Whether it's morality or reputation doesn't mean that much to me; it just seems too much like Kotor's system for comfort.
    BioWare is aiming to have the players make hard choices which not only affect their game immediately after making them, but also have repercussions throughout the universe. Muzyka is fond of describing Shepard as the "tip of the spear of humanity" in that Shepard is the first human Spectre operative, and hence is under constant scrutiny by the rest of universe as a model of human behavior. The doctors showed a brief glimpse of the "Paragon/Renegade" system, which are two separate meters that reflect the player's actions, and teased with, "We'll talk more about how that actually works later."

From http://au.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/mass-effect/771004p2.html

Well, it's hard to tell from what they've said. Based on just having a separate Paragon and a Renegade meter, it could work exactly like how KOTOR did it, or it could be pretty different. It's impossible to tell from that.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I had read that interview before, but I'd not noticed that they're two separate meters, which is interesting. KotOR only having a combined single meter and all.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
This discussion has been closed.