Options

[Day Z] Like a Japanese game show, where the prize is breaking your legs.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    so whats the reasoning behind not having passworded servers again?

Cus I can't think of a single reason.

So people can't lock themselves into a server with a couple of friends and farm loot/server hop on people on other servers

The player interaction is a focal part of the game (so sayeth Rocket) and being able to run a private server goes against that if it's just you and some mates cruising around

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    Oh, so it's not allowed. I see. Lame-o. Not like the game isn't ruined by hackers anyways, farming loot is the least of people's worries.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Farming loot/server hopping is pointless now.

There's a bug that's extremely easy to do where you can duplicate your character exactly and have someone loot it. Just do it with thermal AS50s and bing bang boom you've got a deathsquad.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It's one thing if you want to have a theme for your mod, harshly controlling what people can do with it, but it's another to make them pay for a standalone game and not give them options to do basically whatever they want. He's being overly controlling, and letting his vision get in the way of practicality.

EDIT: Maybe give people the option to have two profiles, one for private servers and one for public. That way they can't intermingle and ruin stuff.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    So many hackers. I miss my coyote backpack. And the aks is a damn pea shooter. Got into a small battle with a player. Not sure if it was a hacker or not but could not kill him, even though I'm sure I hit him multiple times.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    You can just join empty servers now anyways to gear up so that's not a very compelling reason to not have passwords.

edit: Tents on the clam disappeared?

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Mangoes wrote: »
    It's one thing if you want to have a theme for your mod, harshly controlling what people can do with it, but it's another to make them pay for a standalone game and not give them options to do basically whatever they want. He's being overly controlling, and letting his vision get in the way of practicality.

EDIT: Maybe give people the option to have two profiles, one for private servers and one for public. That way they can't intermingle and ruin stuff.

Yeah I quite like this idea

I'm thinking it'll be a dramatically different game when/if they can put an end to the duping exploits (not to mention the hacking)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    You can just join empty servers now anyways to gear up so that's not a very compelling reason to not have passwords.

edit: Tents on the clam disappeared?

Yeah i just logged in and the tents/truck are gone

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    That seems to happen once a day now. after another server reset they will reappear.

FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Private servers are dumb as pubbies are the danger. Your dealings with other people are the ultimate crux of this game.
    Tef wrote: »

I'm thinking it'll be a dramatically different game when/if they can put an end to the duping exploits (not to mention the hacking)

It isnt much different at all, if anything it will go right back to "DAYZ: hoarders in the north" as all kinds of tent camps pop up for people to hide away stuff. Once you learn the map gear is trivial. Zombos are trivial.

This game needs a few things. a gigantic map like 3x to 4x the size. The ability for a group to spawn in together and have name tags while unfriendlys do not get tags. And a higher player cap with per server profiles but not private servers. That way server hoping is moot and you can barb wire off stuff and try and maintain real live bases/camps. Make generators (which were in the game a few patches ago) turn the lights on in these settlements preventing zombie spawns. That was you can run a town.

You know what else this game needs? Paddles. Hardcore is nice but imagine the choice you would have to make as a posse. You get ambushed. A man goes down. Do you fight and try and save him or bug out? Make it hurt. Make res-ing require paddles and a bandage and morphine. Make paddles take up more than one slot. But if we had the choice to save some one from the random sniper/ encounter- I think Alt f4-ing would go down. People would have harder choices to make.

Some of those wishes are actually in the pipe (bigger map, higher player count) and some are just dreams. But it needs something else.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Spawn changes in regards to your group seem to be in the pipe as well. He mentioned that the more players helping to build up a base the more options you get (or something like that). Anyway, one of the things he listed was new spawning options for a large enough base. He didn't specify, but I'd imagine you'd be able to respawn at your group's base.

And I agree with @Tef, when they put an end to the duping bug it will be a different game. There would just be no way we'd have all the weapons, ammo, and fancy gear that we have now if not for duping. Take the M4 Holo for example, the only reason we have them is simply because someone found one in a tent and we started duping it. In the three months I've played this game I have never seen the following items "in the wild":

M4A1 Holo
    SVD Camo
    M4A3 (or maybe the A1) CCO
    M4A1 Camo SD
    M14 AIM
    DMR
    M240
    M249 SAW
    Mk 48 Mod 0
    M107
    AS50
    M9 SD
    Rangefinder
    NVGs
    GPS
    Coyote Backpack* (I've seen it in the wild only once)

If I wasn't rolling with PAers and we didn't have duping I doubt I would have ever used any of those things. Without the duping bug I think we would be a little bit more restrained on which weapons we use.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I...really didn't think duping was as common as these last couple pages would indicate, mostly because the level of scarcity implied by that list hasn't ever really applied to me. obviously random loot is random, but I've found a FN fal/pp-19 with 3 mags/m16 with launcher/m4a3 cco from a run to stary/airfield and that's only counting the past couple hours on the clam. then again, if half the server is resupplying from dupe tents than the barracks being loaded down certainly makes sense.

three months without seeing any of those spawns just seems like you're actively avoiding the airfield, which is cool since it's generally a miserable deathtrap but it's always an eventual stop for me because, well, it's either that or camp the coast and outgun people.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Spawn changes in regards to your group seem to be in the pipe as well. He mentioned that the more players helping to build up a base the more options you get (or something like that). Anyway, one of the things he listed was new spawning options for a large enough base. He didn't specify, but I'd imagine you'd be able to respawn at your group's base.

And I agree with @Tef, when they put an end to the duping bug it will be a different game. There would just be no way we'd have all the weapons, ammo, and fancy gear that we have now if not for duping. Take the M4 Holo for example, the only reason we have them is simply because someone found one in a tent and we started duping it. In the three months I've played this game I have never seen the following items "in the wild":

M4A1 Holo
    SVD Camo
    M4A1 Camo SD
    M14 AIM
    DMR
    M240
    M249 SAW
    Mk 48 Mod 0
    M107
    AS50
    M9 SD
    Rangefinder
    NVGs
    GPS

If I wasn't rolling with PAers and we didn't have duping I doubt I would have ever used any of those things. Without the duping bug I think we would be a little bit more restrained on which weapons we use.

I found an M14 AIM at a wrecked chopper. I only have 2 mags for it but I'm excited as all hell for when I get to finally use it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    My favorite gear setup so far is a PDW and m24. M24s are awesome because you can turn a DMR mag into 4 stacks of m24 ammo. Or the other way around to save space.

PDWs can also use g17 mags.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Just came across the aftermath of a massive firefight outside of Cherno. Still heard gunshots, but I was able to stealth my way to the bodies and get myself an m107. Now I just need some NVGs and a rangefinder and I'm good to go.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

M4A1 Holo
    SVD Camo
    M4A1 Camo SD
    M14 AIM
    DMR
    M240
    M249 SAW
    Mk 48 Mod 0
    M107
    AS50
    M9 SD
    Rangefinder
    NVGs
    GPS

The only weapons I've not seen naturally are the SVD, the thermal M107, the Mk. 48, satchel charges, and the Rangefinder.

The game is much better when you don't have a trust fund. Standalone should solve a ton of the issues we have right now.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    I've only been killes by a hacker once, so it's weird reading all these issues. Or at least I think it's only been once, that was when the whole server was teleported somewhere and KABOOM ! Dead.

I mainly play on Scandinavian servers, no problems at all so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    My favorite gear setup so far is a PDW and m24. M24s are awesome because you can turn a DMR mag into 4 stacks of m24 ammo. Or the other way around to save space.

Why not just use a DMR? I'm not even sure I've seen an M24 in the wild.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    MrDelish wrote: »

Why not just use a DMR? I'm not even sure I've seen an M24 in the wild.

I've only had both guns briefly but I don't think the DMR is able to be zeroed automatically/without mildots. also, the m24 has camo which is obviously the more important feature for a fashion-conscious, ghillied sniper on the go.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    Also because I have been thinking about buying a remington 700 for the longest time.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I found a AS50 once, then the server promptly restarted. Found it in a fire station in electro of all the places. Also did they buff AK drop rates? found an AKM, AKS-74u and an AKS-74 Kobra in like 20 minutes of eachother all in electro firestations

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    do weapon flashlights ever burn out? this is relevant to my interests as 665 is pitch black and I have a double flashlight loadout that longs to give me away to one of the other three people on the entire server.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    ewokfuzzynuttzewokfuzzynuttz Spanaway, WaRegistered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    do weapon flashlights ever burn out? this is relevant to my interests as 665 is pitch black and I have a double flashlight loadout that longs to give me away to one of the other three people on the entire server.
    Not that I'm aware of

XBL-ewokfuzzynuttzz
  • Options
    They're everlasting.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    I'd like to get my hands on those batteries

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I don't think you would want to hold those batteries.

I'm pretty sure that they'd kill you.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    They'd break my legs for sure

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's only Mountain Dew that carries the mark of death

It's like the dayZ equivalent to the Black Mark

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    mountain dew is a myth perpetuated by big zombie to make us ignore coke (fuck pepsi)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDes wrote: »
    mountain dew is a myth perpetuated by big zombie to make us ignore coke (fuck pepsi)

What has Big Zombie done with all the Dr. Pepper then? The best soft drink is mysteriously nowhere to be found!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

What has Big Zombie done with all the Dr. Pepper then? The best soft drink is mysteriously nowhere to be found!

Obviously they are just trying to work up the demand in to a fervor just so they can flood the market later and make a killing.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

Darmak wrote: »

Where do you think all the zombies are coming from. Wake up, Sheeple

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    t_901_what_the_fuck_am_i_reading_112.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Look

I refuse to listen to disestablishment chatter from people in tophats and monocles

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    people just cant handle rhe truth bombs being dropped into this thead

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Got moved to the coast by a bad server load. Even with my gear it feels like a kick in the junk.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I'm all for the duping bug going away.

Not to stop the hoarding, but because then instead of a dozen of us hanging around our tents shooting the shit, we'll be heading out for looting runs to keep our coffers filled. Which helps to solve the problem I have with DayZ in that once you've got enough gear, there's really nothing to do.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I have a private server off the hive set up. It's fun to just dick around for a few hours, flying a helicopter, trying to survive, etc.

Adding random jackoffs into the game that shoot me and steal my stuff is about as fun as losing diamonds to a creeper that blew up on me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Bowen, spawn an armored vehicle in your server and answer me this: Do zombies ignore armor and completely destroy them as they do to buses/cars?

This discussion has been closed.