Options

[Day Z] Like a Japanese game show, where the prize is breaking your legs.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I think the mod is going to have private servers not the standalone.

• Options
    ewokfuzzynuttzewokfuzzynuttz Spanaway, WaRegistered User regular
    Kogareru wrote: »
    I love the idea about ticks haha, that'll stop goddamn campers

XBL-ewokfuzzynuttzz
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I think the mod is going to have private servers not the standalone.

Oh, I see. My brain just kind of shut off the moment I saw "private servers" I guess.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    You know, for all the bitching I did just recently about DayZ, I will say that it's damned hard to remember the drudgery of dealing with the broken stuff in the face of wanting to play this kind of survival game. I'm probably more excited about the standalone for this than any other game at the moment, by a fair distance.

The only thing I'm kinda leery about from what that article says are things like learned skills. Even if hacking gets completely shut down and the vast majority of the glitchiness goes away, it's still going to be far too easy for some random mook on a new life to one-shot your guy that's been alive for 15 hours and has some nice skills picked up from other players, costing you all of that because you don't have omniscience.

I can't help but think there should be some way to preserve at least part of those skills. A simple method for that would be to simply let players permanently retain a certain amount of what they learn, even when they die. So if you got to level 3 (or however they track it) in "fixing wounds" in one life and died, you'd come back with level 1 of that same trait; get to level 6, you permanently have up to level 3 if you die, and so on and so forth. Big problem with that is that it just doesn't fit the game, though.

Maybe let players "preserve" the skills by passing them along in a group of friends? So if you become great at medical stuff, you can "teach" everybody in a group and a single survivor from that group (when the inevitable shit goes down) would be able to "teach" the new characters of the rest of the group everything from before. That would keep within the continuity of the game and be a big, big encouragement for people to socialize.

Could also let players find blank books and writing implements in order to create skill books which would improve a given skill to X level if a player "studies" (selects and keeps it on him) for X amount of time. Players could find lower-level books in the world, but the high-level stuff would require individuals with actual direct experience in a given even to write books about that event. Could make for something pretty kickass, too, since you could have one group of players with their skillbooks trading skills with other players for things like weapons or other skills. Think about how valuable something like a book on reviving a freshly-dead (in the last few minutes and doesn't have something crazy like -10000 blood in damage) character would be; groups would fall all over themselves to get a book for that, which would be something bizarre, awesome, and appropriate for zombiepocalypse survivors to clamor over.

• Options
    You know, for all the bitching I did just recently about DayZ, I will say that it's damned hard to remember the drudgery of dealing with the broken stuff in the face of wanting to play this kind of survival game. I'm probably more excited about the standalone for this than any other game at the moment, by a fair distance.

The only thing I'm kinda leery about from what that article says are things like learned skills. Even if hacking gets completely shut down and the vast majority of the glitchiness goes away, it's still going to be far too easy for some random mook on a new life to one-shot your guy that's been alive for 15 hours and has some nice skills picked up from other players, costing you all of that because you don't have omniscience.

I can't help but think there should be some way to preserve at least part of those skills. A simple method for that would be to simply let players permanently retain a certain amount of what they learn, even when they die. So if you got to level 3 (or however they track it) in "fixing wounds" in one life and died, you'd come back with level 1 of that same trait; get to level 6, you permanently have up to level 3 if you die, and so on and so forth. Big problem with that is that it just doesn't fit the game, though.

Maybe let players "preserve" the skills by passing them along in a group of friends? So if you become great at medical stuff, you can "teach" everybody in a group and a single survivor from that group (when the inevitable shit goes down) would be able to "teach" the new characters of the rest of the group everything from before. That would keep within the continuity of the game and be a big, big encouragement for people to socialize.

Could also let players find blank books and writing implements in order to create skill books which would improve a given skill to X level if a player "studies" (selects and keeps it on him) for X amount of time. Players could find lower-level books in the world, but the high-level stuff would require individuals with actual direct experience in a given even to write books about that event. Could make for something pretty kickass, too, since you could have one group of players with their skillbooks trading skills with other players for things like weapons or other skills. Think about how valuable something like a book on reviving a freshly-dead (in the last few minutes and doesn't have something crazy like -10000 blood in damage) character would be; groups would fall all over themselves to get a book for that, which would be something bizarre, awesome, and appropriate for zombiepocalypse survivors to clamor over.

I like your idea about the books maybe write this up somewhere on the dayz boards. Since dayz is supposed to be "your story" and it's the catch phrase for the game having a diary of some sort would be great. Imagine it you come across a corpse and he's got a diary and he writes out his last moments before he dies( would have to be an rp server though there actually are rp servers)

XBL-ewokfuzzynuttzz
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Only if you can edit/fake the books. Someone goes to loot a body, picks up the book... all it says is "Got you."

Bam! sniped

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Only if you can edit/fake the books. Someone goes to loot a body, picks up the book... all it says is "Got you."

Bam! sniped

For something like that, I would actually like to see a journal as sort of a "log" of what happens to your character. You can write in your own stuff, sure, but I think there could be a good way to have "automatic" entries. Let the last 5/10/15/30 minutes be "remembered" by the character, then let them stop and take, say, 30-60 seconds to write all that stuff down if they want to. Things like "saw this guy, shot a couple people, found a vehicle here", that sort of thing. But the farther you get away from an event, the less accurate you get. Write something down 5 minutes after a stash find and an entry can read "found rifle X on the third floor of the firehouse in Cherno at 11:15 AM", but something an hour old would read "found a rifle in Cherno".

Or every character could just automatically start with a journal and it's automatically filled with info as you play. That could actually serve as in interesting "trust" item as well; somebody lets you read their journal and if it's filled with things like "killed another guy today" twenty times in two hours, you know the guy probably isn't on the level. Also let people take blank journals and "forge" a good history if they want to trick people, or attempt to pass off the journals of other players as their own, and then you can "examine" books to see if they're real or not and have a whole "perception" skill to check for things like that. You could end up with players that are valuable simply because they're good at picking up on forgeries.

Basically, there's a lot of neat stuff you could do with books/journals that wouldn't need anywhere near the effort of things like making zombies that don't run through walls or legs that get snapped when crawling through doorways.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    ...ideally in October, but realistically I think we’re talking end of November. It’ll have all the features that Day Z has now, but with more polish, and we’ll cut down all the things that Arma 2 has in it that Day Z does not need. So it’ll be a tighter, more locked down product right away. It’ll be locked down to prevent hacking. We also want to implement a simplified ragdoll for performance, redo the UI for a new inventory system, things like that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Yeah, all they'd need to do to make me pretty happy, at least initially, is to deal with the clunkiness caused by the ARMA II engine, deal with the glitchiness, and deal with the hacking. The fact that it will be developed beyond that point is a pure bonus to me, especially since they said they're looking to sell the standalone pretty cheap.

Granted, those are hardly small development steps, but they'll be pretty huge improvements, too.

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Oh hey. That Versions tab on Day-Z Commander solves all of life's problems.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Someone log into the Clam and go to the Firestation in Cherno. Ruro and I have an awesome surprise for you..... and it isn't 15 satchel charges ready to blow!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Someone log into the Clam and go to the Firestation in Cherno. Ruro and I have an awesome surprise for you..... and it isn't 15 satchel charges ready to blow!

It's 16 satchel charges, isn't it?

• Options
    It was a nice big explosion, but the building was still standing.....

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    I had to reformat my PC recently, so I'm reacquiring all my stuff again. When I try to log into the mumble server, the password I know we use doesn't work. could someone PM me the pass?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Shouldn't have changed.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    Maaan, I really like the SVD camos scope and look.. But after playing with this dmr for a couple days I just can't convince myself that it's worth it :( Maybe if it were nvg compatible, or had more than one level of scope, or was zeroable. But all it has is a badass factor of ten and hard to find ammo :(

On the plus side, logged onto the clam without getting insta-shore-gibbed, I was ready to lose it all. Nice surprise.

• Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    SoulGate, Koga probably needs to remove and re add you to the server.

Also, I believe I've come up with a simple way to reduce the stupid factor from the duping and add back the fun. *EVERY* time you access a tent save it. Your tent, some random tent you found in the woods. That tent with the 50 cal next to the farm house. Save all the tents and the game should get good again. You'll need to loot again. People will care about who claims a gun, ammo ect... Also no ammo respawn abuse. (We all know the work around to the latest patch isn't intended). We'll still have a stupid level of gear. We could dump it, or at least a lot of the exotic crazy stuff and get it down to a few basic assault rifles. Also, I think with the exception of the soldier skin we should dump all the crap we got off the hackers...

I mean whens the last time you went into a town to go shopping for gear? Raided the apartments for a backpack. Got excited about finding a akm? If we get the stupid level of loot out of here it will get better. I think the idea of saving tents every-time should fix this. There's no reason not to store a gear in tents, but lets find that gear 1st. I still recall the m14 I got off a guy in Berizon, it has more significance than the assorted crap from perusing our gun store. We'd organize NW/Starry runs again, and the game will matter. That said, I'd like buy in from the group before we start down this path. I just think needing to loot, conserve ammo and having consequences will make things more meaningful. The loot farming while fun for a bit is just dumb. Think of it as a chance to hon your skills for the standalone :)

That said, I have no problem with having few duping tents we don't save for post hacker restocking. (Those deaths are bullshit.) They'd just be for post hacker bullshit death restocking.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    password please

I'm currently in the eastern in Kamyshovo. I made it there after trying to explore Tulga and panicing after a zombie saw me. I outran two of the beasts and now I'm here. I was actually scouting part along the eastern road when one spotted me and scampered up the hill.

I dunno what I am supposed to look for to scout, I keep seeing these axes in stumps and I get sad. But I'm really fucking enjoying this game. Time to cash a paycheck.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Logging back in to a different place you logged out at is a weird experience

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    So I died.
    I respawned in Novy Sobor. Inside a house. Then...uh...this happened.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzzRUpLbqKM

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    Yeah, the falling zombies are probably a hacker, but the Novy spawn is just glitched. It happened to me and someone else in the Mumble. If you can't get out the easy way, walk up against the wall, disconnect, and reconnect.

• Options
    I've had the spawn in a house thing once before. I was inside under the house sort of. Then a bunch of zombies fell and died right next to me. I suspect it could be a bug?

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    Hmm, the falling zombies part didn't happen to me. Bizarre!

• Options
    So every server is a different character right?

Passwords please?

• Options
    BeornK wrote: »
    I've had the spawn in a house thing once before. I was inside under the house sort of. Then a bunch of zombies fell and died right next to me. I suspect it could be a bug?

I'm willing to bet it has to do with how a character's presence causes zombie spawns and spawning inside a non-enterable structure makes something wacky happen. Those are probably just the zombie spawns one would get from being near a building, except they end up spawning up in the sky for some reason.

Or it could just be hacker hijinx, but that doesn't involve nearly enough childish self-gratification for me to believe that. Maybe if the player spawned at a lethally-high distance in front of the hacker, but random zombies falling to their deaths on top of a player safely shielded inside a non-enterable building? Nah, too harmless.

• Options
    So every server is a different character right?

Nope. All the servers are the same character. (There are technically a few private server+Lingor Island where this doesn't hold true. You can't take a character off a private server though.)

Some silly geese will take advantage of the same character multiple server thing. They'll get to a good location and then keep hoping servers to get good loot, others will combat log, log onto another server, move behind their attacker and then log back to the original server. Its cheating, but some players will do it. Be forewarned.

Just hop on the clam. If you can't get on the server you probably need to update your version. I recommenced dayz commander as its faster than Six updater and handles versions better. You can always plan on a local server and then move your character to the clam.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I've heard that you can prone and roll to freedom if you've spawned into a house.

• Options
    BeornK wrote: »
    SoulGate, Koga probably needs to remove and re add you to the server.

Also, I believe I've come up with a simple way to reduce the stupid factor from the duping and add back the fun. *EVERY* time you access a tent save it. Your tent, some random tent you found in the woods. That tent with the 50 cal next to the farm house. Save all the tents and the game should get good again. You'll need to loot again. People will care about who claims a gun, ammo ect... Also no ammo respawn abuse. (We all know the work around to the latest patch isn't intended). We'll still have a stupid level of gear. We could dump it, or at least a lot of the exotic crazy stuff and get it down to a few basic assault rifles. Also, I think with the exception of the soldier skin we should dump all the crap we got off the hackers...

I mean whens the last time you went into a town to go shopping for gear? Raided the apartments for a backpack. Got excited about finding a akm? If we get the stupid level of loot out of here it will get better. I think the idea of saving tents every-time should fix this. There's no reason not to store a gear in tents, but lets find that gear 1st. I still recall the m14 I got off a guy in Berizon, it has more significance than the assorted crap from perusing our gun store. We'd organize NW/Starry runs again, and the game will matter. That said, I'd like buy in from the group before we start down this path. I just think needing to loot, conserve ammo and having consequences will make things more meaningful. The loot farming while fun for a bit is just dumb. Think of it as a chance to hon your skills for the standalone :)

That said, I have no problem with having few duping tents we don't save for post hacker restocking. (Those deaths are bullshit.) They'd just be for post hacker bullshit death restocking.

This is awesome, in theory, but the mod is very wonky about saving tents. I found those 3 tents on the shore behind Cherno with the 12 satchel charges each in them. Not to mention a couple DMR's, M4A1 CCO's and a couple M107s. I dumped all the shit out of them, then saved them. Then for good measure put 6 satchel charges around each tent.

After a server restart, they are all back with all their loot in them. The Hive sucks sometimes!

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    What do we use to talk to each other and plan ways to murder pubbies now?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Kogareru wrote: »
    I want to play with peeeepol. And nobody is around on any of the vent channels.

If you're on the clam our mumble channel is:

ip: 70.168.103.138
    port: 64738
    standard PA password

there are typically around 10 - 15 of us on (looks like just a few afk's at the moment though.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    Don't trust rRoot, he likes to shoot PAers and then claim that you were a 'zombie'!
    :)

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    I'm gonna take a guess on the clam password when I return tonight. Got a concert to get to.

• Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Don't trust rRoot, he likes to shoot PAers and then claim that you were a 'zombie'!
    :)
    Can't fap without it!

• Options
    I have not seen a vehicle fucking EVER and have only come across two bikes.

I check their spawns constantly too.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    vehicles are insanely rare, but at the same time I'm 2 for 2 at the tractor spawn between the NE airfield and black lake. I wouldn't wish the tractor on anyone who doesn't mind a couple bullets through the windshield since it is hilariously loud for the mediocre speed it offers, but it's decent enough if you avoid the higher-traffic roads between stary/NW airfield and the coast.

• Options
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I have not seen a vehicle fucking EVER and have only come across two bikes.

I check their spawns constantly too.
    All I found was a pt boat

XBL-ewokfuzzynuttzz
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    I've found a boat before, but what I found most recently was a roll of barbed wire killing me so hard I couldn't loot my body and retrieve my gear/DMR. :/

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    ...yeah, hell is definitely other people.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    I remember being able to vault over barbed wire but now I can't seem to be able to do it.

Whatever dick put wire blocking the church in cherno on the clam can go to hell.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    You can only vault over barbed wire if it is partly in the ground like near steps or something. If it is all above ground you're fucked.

This discussion has been closed.