Options

[Day Z] Like a Japanese game show, where the prize is breaking your legs.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I loved the time I logged off inside a warehouse only to find that when I logged in the next day I couldn't get out.

I certainly enjoyed waiting another 10 minutes while another server loaded...

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Had a good night roaming the city side with you guys. Introduced a co-worker to DayZ and we did the honorable thing of mistaking him as a hostile and killing him accidentally. But, we got some cool swag and now we are rocking and rolling. Neat!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Barbed wire being an impassable barrier is pretty dumb, especially for a game that's trying to be heavily realistic. Barbed wire is a pretty meaningless impediment against a person that's just walking around, seeing as it's only really supposed to be a way to stop somebody from running at you. You should definitely be able to slow-walk through the stuff without any trouble, just as a matter of common sense. Now, if somebody tried to RUN through it, that would be different; then it could stop them by throwing them to the ground or something. But nobody would be dumb enough to do that intentionally, which is most of the point of barbed wire anyway.

Right now barbed wire is worse than useless, since people only use it to be dicks by blocking off good areas.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Tonight I figured I'd try the Clam. My spawn at Electro ended up with me hiding from zombies in a medical tent only to have a NVG-wearing person walk up to me and replace my eye sockets with lead balls.

Respawn put me in Komarovo, picked up an AKM, but need to hit up some houses.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to go on the Clam and just have the best loot in the game handed to them, just ask.

Because we can do that and break DayZ for you.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to go on the Clam and just have the best loot in the game handed to them, just ask.

Nah, I like the thrill of finding it myself, and then never using it because I only have six bullets

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Ammo needs to be significantly more scarce. Having ammo and magazines separate would be nifty.

Like if you find an M4A1, you'd better be using it for some really important shit because you've spent four hours finding one magazine worth of ammo.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping the standalone tracks magazines and ammo separately. Similarly I think there should be a fast and slow reload. Fast reload is fast, but you drop the mag. Slow reload is slower, but you keep the mag in inventory. You could have an option to load/unload mags. You should also be able to load some weapons without mags. This would make revolvers, and weapons with internal magazines more interesting. I can imagine some players referring a weapon like a lever action because they can top off the gun between shots without having to lose mags. Support for stripper clips might be fun too. (Imagine if most of the 7.62x39 ammo came on clips.. Hello sks) I also hope that the damage=caliber is relaxed a bit in the future. I'd love carbines to do more than pistols, (think 357 lever action). This would also allow for some difference between m4/m16 ect.

Also, I really hope that the level of military weapons gets reduced in the standalone. Even the militarily weapons should be more low end stuff. I'm think mosin-nagants, sks and so on. I'd like to see the Chernaus bunkers have 95%+ soviet guns. AKs, RPDs ect.. I'd also like to see more basic iron sight bolt actions rifles. How many mosins and captured k98s are floating around out there.

For Chernaus, I thing only Helicopter crashes, (plus maybe a hidden overwatch positions) or similar could have western weapons. I just don't see deer stands with m4 CCO carbines all that realistic.

I could see having the loot types changing by the map type. (Western maps have a lot a western guns ect.) Of course every map should have stuff thats common everywhere.

I think ammo levels will be a lot lower once the game supports melee better. If you can effectively use a spear, shovel, ax, knife, whisper kick, shove, baseball bat, harsh language on the zombies, then ammo can be a lot less common. You'll save that ammo for people not zeds. Unless things get really out of hand ;)

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Velocity differences between the M4 and the M16 aren't really enough to warrant some massive damage differential. An XM193 coming out of a 14.5" barrel is going to have about 1130 ft-lbs of muzzle energy, which isn't a huge drop from the 20" producing 1220 ft-lbs.

SKSes, Mosins, and shotguns should be all over the damn place. Anything Kalashnikov should be pretty high-end, as well.

Changing the way shotguns work to make the ammo less silly and throwing in other tube-fed weapons like a .357 levergun would be a nice change, too. They'd have to change the density of the ammunition you could carry, though. Considering I can get 100 5.56mm out of one slot and only 8 shotgun shells out of the same slot, it's a bit of a no-brainer which is the better option.

If they're keeping silenced weapons in (and I'm sure they are) then they also need to change the glaring issue of being unable to use supersonic ammunition on canned guns.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the way shotgun ammo is stupid as hell

Having to take up 3 inventory slots until I find a fourth set of shells so I can combine them and then load my remington is annoying as all motherfuck

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I just got killed at our camp.

Edit: nevermind, friendly fire.

tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    tehgils wrote: »
    I just got killed at our camp.

Edit: nevermind, friendly fire.

You are some kind of friendly fire magnet man. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    I really wish I could get into the Clam's mumble. :( Where's Koga been?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular

hey, if you guys get bored, you can drop some valuable hints as to where this mythical tent city of dupes is. god knows I could use an actual player sighting, even if that actual player has a decidedly fake thermal as50 and would probably spot me from 800 meters out.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    wha happened to the clam cant find it in the browser

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    wha happened to the clam cant find it in the browser

I've had this problem off and on for a while, where I leave the server, usually to fix artifacting, and it won't pop up again in either the arma browser or dayz commander. not sure how to fix it, my session last night ended early because of it.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm here. can you not connect to the base mumble? or are you just having problems getting into the dayz channel? also just noticed the server is down. tossing out a reboot now.

EDIT:

alright we've opened a ticket. It stated that the hive is having issues. but there doesn't look like there is anything we can do atm. I'll post again once we get a response/servers are back up.

Edit dos:
    server is back up.

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular

One rocket launcher, please.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I really don't want to download another program onto my computer to make things run....how do I update from 1.6 to whatever is running on CLAM?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I really don't want to download another program onto my computer to make things run....how do I update from 1.6 to whatever is running on CLAM?

1) Get 1.62 from here -> http://www.arma2.com/index.php?Itemid=20&option=com_rokdownloads&view=folder&lang=en
    2) Get the latest beta patch from here -> http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php
    3) update your dayz.

Play away

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    Found and fixed up a broken down tractor.

Then the clam restarted or crashed. Hope its still there.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    And when I logged in Im now at the cherno coast.

yay....

wakkawa on
  • Options
    wakkawa wrote: »
    And when I logged in Im now at the costs.

yay....

DAYZ AWW YISS

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options

I know you don't want to but Dayz Commander makes getting into the game so easy and you really should get it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to come back to this, but I really don't want to reinstall Arma 2. Might wait for standalone.

• Options
    RykeRyke Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »

I know you don't want to but Dayz Commander makes getting into the game so easy and you really should get it.

If you're not using dayz commander, you're doing it all wrong. Simple as that.

XBL: Ryke Kardine SteamID: Ryke
  • Options
    Sweet Jesus how do I use flashlight? I keep hitting B but nothing happens.

• Options
    Try L.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Sweet Jesus how do I use flashlight? I keep hitting B but nothing happens.

first, you have it in your secondary slot and not still sitting on your toolbar, right? if it's in the smaller row of accessory items, it needs to be right-clicked and "move from toolbar" needs to be selected; this requires your secondary slot to be pistol-free.

if you're past that, the default key to toggle your flashlight is L, and you have to switch from your mainhand weapon to wield it.

edit: clam still down? I haven't been able to get past "wait for host", but dayz commander has this annoying trend of still listing it with what appears to be an active base of players.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    Server statuses are pretty jank right now, just bear with it.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Oh, so that's the problem, I thought I was being screwed over with my DayZ version.

• Options
    So we found some hacked in beta c-mags.

The short and simple is that we have M4s and M16s with 100 round magazines.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I can't join the Day Z mumble Baked Clams Private Stash channel, it keeps saying you were denied entry.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    This is...yeah.

I just got stalked like a freaking deer.

The more I interact with other players the less I like it. :/

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    This is...yeah.

You should come play with us. I'm starting my pauper runs, where I start a character on another server and don't use our obscene amounts of loot.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    This is...yeah.

yeah, the idea of PvP ran dry for me about halfway through my dayz playtime - rarely do I ever want to risk my gear/time in a gunfight unless I massively outposition or outgun the other guy, because it only takes a few countershots to cripple or kill you - this is why I've been enjoying stalking the clam at night in search of those few key items to finish up my loadout. finally found an M24 in one of the NW airfield hangars just now, basically all I need is NVG's to couple with my NV FAL to counter light/dark blindness and I'm set.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    edit: double post, think i'll just show myself out

Torgairon on
  • Options
    I enjoy engaging in fights with shitty gear since you're very likely to only ever upgrade from those encounters.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    low-tier pvp with little to risk is fun, especially during the initial coastal gearing period, but pvp in general becomes harder to justify for me when I've been roaming the north for weeks living off the land and collecting a perfect survival set. I have no problem engaging in fights when I find them (which is oddly rare, given how much time I spend running between high-value areas) but actively seeking people out on the coast just seems pointless and unfair to the low-tier clams who likely wouldn't even see me before they respawn. on the other end of that spectrum is playing outflank games in the hills with the snipers that are really, really invested in racking up that murder count, which I am not terribly good at and bores me besides, so without any motivation or need for the gear and supplies I'd be hypothetically stalking and murdering them for, I just can't reason to myself that it's worth it to risk my loadout just to make people rage. basically, city pvp once you've geared up has always seemed like a pointless crapshoot to me.

all that said, I have no problem hitting people in the north for a chance at a rangefinder or an AS50. now, if only I'd seen more than one person in the past week...

Torgairon on
  • Options
    ewokfuzzynuttzewokfuzzynuttz Spanaway, WaRegistered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    low-tier pvp with little to risk is fun, especially during the initial coastal gearing period, but pvp in general becomes harder to justify for me when I've been roaming the north for weeks living off the land and collecting a perfect survival set. I have no problem engaging in fights when I find them (which is oddly rare, given how much time I spend running between high-value areas) but actively seeking people out on the coast just seems pointless and unfair to the low-tier clams who likely wouldn't even see me before they respawn. on the other end of that spectrum is playing outflank games in the hills with the snipers that are really, really invested in racking up that murder count, which I am not terribly good at and bores me besides, so without any motivation or need for the gear and supplies I'd be hypothetically stalking and murdering them for, I just can't reason to myself that it's worth it to risk my loadout just to make people rage. basically, city pvp once you've geared up has always seemed like a pointless crapshoot to me.

all that said, I have no problem hitting people in the north for a chance at a rangefinder or an AS50. now, if only I'd seen more than one person in the past week...

Same thoughts here. I'm just hoping the game is more rewarding for survivors in standalone then it is for pvp or at least balanced I read that he wants to put some sort of story about how the outbreak started. I hope that gets implemented so it will be something to do other than stalking towns.

XBL-ewokfuzzynuttzz
This discussion has been closed.