Options

[Day Z] Like a Japanese game show, where the prize is breaking your legs.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would assume, judging by how they react to helicopters and cars in general, that if the bounding box is larger than the physical dimensions of the object to hit, they can't react to it (that's why they stand outside the helicopter to some degree and just stare at you ... the rotors create a weird bounding box). So anything square like a car or bus is easier for them to damage and attack.

I would assume tanks and shit would be just as bad.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ewokfuzzynuttzewokfuzzynuttz Spanaway, WaRegistered User regular
    Mangoes wrote: »
    It's one thing if you want to have a theme for your mod, harshly controlling what people can do with it, but it's another to make them pay for a standalone game and not give them options to do basically whatever they want. He's being overly controlling, and letting his vision get in the way of practicality.

EDIT: Maybe give people the option to have two profiles, one for private servers and one for public. That way they can't intermingle and ruin stuff.
    they just need ranked and unranked problem thus solved

XBL-ewokfuzzynuttzz
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Man, even public ARMA II servers are now filled with hackers. The price of popularity :(

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    The internet. Always teaching us why we can't have nice things.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Script kiddies, not hackers.

Someone needs to get up on their security lingo!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    Just found a M4A1 CCO and a silenced m9.

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Script kiddies, not hackers.

Someone needs to get up on their security lingo!

There were two mid teen kids on twitch openly using scripts

XBL-ewokfuzzynuttzz
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    It's one thing if you want to have a theme for your mod, harshly controlling what people can do with it, but it's another to make them pay for a standalone game and not give them options to do basically whatever they want. He's being overly controlling, and letting his vision get in the way of practicality.

EDIT: Maybe give people the option to have two profiles, one for private servers and one for public. That way they can't intermingle and ruin stuff.

I have a private server off the hive set up. It's fun to just dick around for a few hours, flying a helicopter, trying to survive, etc.

Adding random jackoffs into the game that shoot me and steal my stuff is about as fun as losing diamonds to a creeper that blew up on me.

This is something that interests me.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    I now have a DMR, which means I am one shot away from dying no matter where I am on the map.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    I now have a DMR, which means I am one shot away from dying no matter where I am on the map.

nah, unless you're playing on a 30+ player server/firing it in cherno or elektro I wouldn't worry too much about either zombie or player aggro from your typical sniper rifle, at least in most northern locations. maybe I'm just spoiled from locking my current 8-days-and-counting survivor to the clam until he dies...it's pretty desolate, most days.

speaking of solid weapon finds, found my second clam crash site in two days and picked up the modified FAL with the NV scope and 5 more mags for it and the regular FAL I'd already been carrying. when I inevitably get shot at the airfield, somebody's going to have quite the haul to carry out of there.

• Options
    tuxkamen wrote: »

I remember getting the dmr it was the best gun I had found at the time I got 2 kills with it, one was pretty epic had broken bone and 2k health fired on the guy at the top of the firehouse in cherno then passed out

XBL-ewokfuzzynuttzz
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    The DMR is really good if you've got NVGs, since it's the only scope that can be used with them.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Which voice server are we on, guys? Also, when are good times to jump on and play. I hate playing Day Z by myself.

• Options
    caught my first hapless night victim at stary looting, but failed to kill him because I foolishly went with the burst function on the FAL AN-NVS at 250m or so...lesson learned. :oops: so much wasted, high-value FAL ammo just to make a guy alt+F4.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Found a heli crash right by Msta. Got my first ever pair of NVGs, as well as a spare ghillie. And an M14 AIM - there was a second M107 as well, but I just took the ammo and carried on my way.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Bah I think I'm done playing dayz till standalone. I don't like being pvp and I usually play alone so no sense in only blood bagging and bandaging myself.

/inb4coolstorybro

XBL-ewokfuzzynuttzz
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I want to play with peeeepol. And nobody is around on any of the vent channels.

• Options

it's been a really quiet couple of days in terms of the amount of PA people on the one active PA server. unless everybody decided to start a war with another server, I've been assuming that the recent wave of hacks has throttled the hype for a while, as well as the standalone announcement.

speculation aside, this definitely isn't primetime for US 665. I'll be on later, but I'm roleplaying a survivor who kills on sight for cans of pepsi. (and, one day, a mountain dew...8->)

• Options
    logged onto the clam when I'd logged out at full health, saw "torg was killed" and immediately got teleported to the debug plains. I switch servers and now I'm on the shore with absolutely no gear of any kind but my kills/headshots/murders intact. just when I was getting complacent...truly, dayz, you are the ultimate gauntlet of casual fuck-yous.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Someone explain tents and saving to me. Does it have to be done by the "owner"... if so, what happens if you die?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Anybody can save tents and only the owner can pick them up

If you die you won't be able to pack up any tents you set up before you died

They will also despawn in nobody interacts with then for like a day or so

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I have a private server off the hive set up. It's fun to just dick around for a few hours, flying a helicopter, trying to survive, etc.

Adding random jackoffs into the game that shoot me and steal my stuff is about as fun as losing diamonds to a creeper that blew up on me.

This is something that interests me.

They're fairly easy to set up so long as someone's got a server to be doing (mine only runs when I play it).

Personally if it were me I'd lock it down, private hive it, then give passwords out daily to a bunch of subscribers. Fuck the "no private servers" nonsense, if you're off the hive fuck it, I just want to drive some jeeps and fly some helicopters and kill some zombies.

The novelty of this game wears off once you realize that's basically all you're doing though, even with the PvP part.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    lol I'm still trying to figure out how it is that Shiashi is still playing this game. . . He's raged out of better playing games for them being "total garbage".

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I /ragequit BF3 but for some reason this game has me hooked. So, I can understand why Shiashi is still around.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Anybody can save tents and only the owner can pick them up

If you die you won't be able to pack up any tents you set up before you died

They will also despawn in nobody interacts with then for like a day or so

Awesome info, thanks.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    lol I'm still trying to figure out how it is that Shiashi is still playing this game. . . He's raged out of better playing games for them being "total garbage".

Day z is horrible terrible crack. I take a few weeks off and in an instant I'm on an 8 day day z bender.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    What's worse is it's mostly "hey look a vehicle, oh shit I need blood, man I'm hungry" over and over again and I don't know why I care so much. But man do I love flying the helicopter.

bowen on
  • Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular

If you're on the clam our mumble channel is:

ip: 70.168.103.138
    port: 64738
    standard PA password

there are typically around 10 - 15 of us on (looks like just a few afk's at the moment though.

GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anyone else really good at piloting helicopters? How do some of those jerks land so fast sometimes? Granted I'm not that bad but I see these guys just like storm in going super fast, swing around, touch down, hop out, jump back in, and off they go.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Some people play with pedals and everything, it makes for some really crazy flying.

It's a lot of practice to get the feeling of how fast you can accelerate and decelerate, but a good tip to make a touch-and-go landing: Barely touch the ground. If you actually land, the chopper will take much longer to get off for some reason.

I can make pretty good quick landings on rooftops. Well, I could, not sure if now since I haven't flown in ARMA2 in ages.

• Options
    Hah It takes me probably 30 or so seconds to land on a roof. Only about 5 or so to touch flat ground depending on foliage (I'm super paranoid about nicking anything and spinning wildly out of control -- thanks MSFS!).

The factory is like the best place to set up base because of the industrial + gas + sweet helipad roof access!

• Options
    Plus a quick stint to berezeno there's tons of places to land a helicopter.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Zombies not walking indoors would be awesome, but if so, the system of picking up loot needs some serious streamlining so you can actually run into a building and grab items without getting murdered by zombies.

I have to say that I'm really looking forward to the standalone; it has a ton of potential, and I would shell out money for a rework of the currently somewhat arcane and fiddly UI alone.

If they can implement some more persistent player mechanics to encourage other reactions to survivors besides "shoot on sight" and some form of persistent base/faction support, it should be a fantastic experience.

• Options
    I really just like the helicopter part of the game and playing with friends that are doing the zombie part of the game. Did I mention that.

• Options
    I would not be against running a server for my own use, actually; I shun human contact in DayZ for the most part, especially the sort of contact that occurs anywhere within the range of a rifle scope. One thing I definitely want is to grab the weapon range scenario, so that I can practice with all the fancy weapons I don't have.

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    Pretty sure there is a hacker on the clam right now. Just started dancing so I alt+f4ed the fuck out of there.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5nvbnNTPv4
    "I'm glad you paid your taxes."

"Yeah, me too, Jesus!"

tuxkamen on

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Needs more hackers like that.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Kogareru wrote: »

Did I read that right? Did he say that the standalone will have private servers?
    "People are going to be able to run their own live server, their own private server, they can run a server just for four of them, that sort of thing."

This discussion has been closed.