Options

new spooky thread... or IS IT???

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the rabbits video is trying so hard to be creepy that it can't possibly succeed

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I have read the first volume of Uzumaki (Spiral). Damn creepy, and I appreciate it for not resorting to gross-out/gore imagery like most horror manga. Just good old fashioned ghosts and spooky faces.

Pretty much anything by the author (Junji Ito) would be a safe bet.

hubba wubba whu? Ito specializes in gross out body horror. It's pretty much all he does. Uzumaki is his best example of it.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Yeah but he didn't use a lot of blood and guts, just twisted body shapes.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Hey what was that youtube video with the british game show and they are all WE DON'T TALK ABOUT THE EVENT
    That shit was unsettling.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Yesssssssssss
    (And at the same time noooooooooooooo)

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I watched the first Rabbits video and I don't really get what is spooky about it. The chanting was creepy but it didn't bother me much. I spent most of the time trying to connect the out of sequence talking.

I haven't seen Inland Empire, but I did see Mulholland Drive, and that movie was more or less about letting the waking mind take a look at the world of dreams

the rabbits don't make any sense because they're not supposed to, they're just randomly plopped down into the middle of a recognizable setting (the sit-com with all its tropes). Then you're supposed to try to make sense of it, even knowing that you can't

whether or not that's spooky I'll leave up to you

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    TankHammer wrote: »

And that's better?!?
    ito.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    PUT THAT SHIT IN SPOILERS

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    PUT THAT SHIT IN SPOILERS

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    put spoilers in that shit

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    besides I never gave permission to use my picture

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    geth

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Lookin good today dich

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    put spoilers in that shit
    snape killed dumbledore watermark

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Rn9MTdB.jpg

I love this. Every time I see it I hear them laughing hysterically while they grind your teeth into a fine paste.

Y'know, something like this:

steve-martin-dentist-little-shop.jpg

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    man, the RV park where I live has "free wifi", and it is internet in only the most basic sense of that word, so the forum page loaded all funny right? and it's all plain white with images working and then text fields.

it's kinda creepy... i know almost every web-page used to look like this but i don't remember it being as disquieting.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's like trying to use IE6 to load a modern web page. That shit happens to me sometimes, I just refresh and my internet stops being a fuckwit and it goes back to normal.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

And that's better?!?
    ito.jpg

"Better" is subjective but it's certainly more creative.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

And that's better?!?
    ito.jpg

"Better" is subjective but it's certainly more creative.

It's better because it's disturbing for its surreality. It's a unique kind of gross instead of something like a knife through an eyeball. It's more supernatural horror than body horror.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I was linked to this from SA, but I think it'd be good for the spooky thread.

Night Vale is a podcast in the style of local radio news, but with eery music and unsettling stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBurGwvMkCE

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    I was linked to this from SA, but I think it'd be good for the spooky thread.

Night Vale is a podcast in the style of local radio news, but with eery music and unsettling stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBurGwvMkCE

reminds me of that blog about the fictional British town trapped in a surreal, horrific version of 1987

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    ah yes, the good people down at Scarfolk

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    wewatchyou1www-scarfolk-blogspot-com.jpg

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    9rNqaVj.jpg

• Options
    Going out with a friend tonight to watch The Conjuring. The buzz has been surprisingly positive, so I was wondering if anyone here had seen it yet?

• Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    Hi, spooky thread! I don't draw spooky very often, but I had hella nightmares last night and drawing them is my coping mechanism so here u go:
    murderghost_sm.jpg

Well, bye!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I am clicking awesome solely because your art is rad, not because you had a bad night.

Just FYI.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Actually, looking at it again, that was pretty much what was in inland empire. Which was basically a three hour film of exactly that. Random dialogue, tense music, some weird cinematography, and a whole lot of unsettling bullshit.

That was really draining. It was nearly five or six years ago for me and I still feel traumatised.

Noooooo. Inland Empire isn't random! It's just a crappier version of Synecdoche, New York.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Lexxy wrote: »
    Hi, spooky thread! I don't draw spooky very often, but I had hella nightmares last night and drawing them is my coping mechanism so here u go:
    murderghost_sm.jpg

Well, bye!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you have more nightmares. :^:

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Lexxy wrote: »
    murderghost_sm.jpg

Well, bye!

*clicks spoiler*

nononononono

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    new phone background!

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    So I'm watching VHS for the first time. The first film they watch, the one where the dudes wears those glasses:
    She's a harpy right? I totally got a harpy vibe when ! saw her feet. If not I guess she was a succubus or something!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    So I'm watching VHS for the first time. The first film they watch, the one where the dudes wears those glasses:
    She's a harpy right? I totally got a harpy vibe when ! saw her feet. If not I guess she was a succubus or something!
    That's the idea I got. Not sexy enough to be a succubus.

That first one was my favorite cuz it really does a good job of visually describing that confused feeling you have when you're drunk and things just aren't quite making sense.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Actually, looking at it again, that was pretty much what was in inland empire. Which was basically a three hour film of exactly that. Random dialogue, tense music, some weird cinematography, and a whole lot of unsettling bullshit.

That was really draining. It was nearly five or six years ago for me and I still feel traumatised.

Noooooo. Inland Empire isn't random! It's just a crappier version of Synecdoche, New York.

Man, Synecdoche, New York was one of the most exhausting, regretful things I've ever done.

• Options
    Going out with a friend tonight to watch The Conjuring. The buzz has been surprisingly positive, so I was wondering if anyone here had seen it yet?

I refuse to watch a film glorifying two of the worst frauds in history.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Jesus that was a terrible movie.

and you had to go remind me

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

You've already seen it by now but it scared the shit out of me

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    That's the idea I got. Not sexy enough to be a succubus.

That first one was my favorite cuz it really does a good job of visually describing that confused feeling you have when you're drunk and things just aren't quite making sense.
    succubi being sexy is a modern invention, it's pretty common that at first you're like yeah she's cute i'd bang her and then you get intimate and you realize she's a horrifying monster

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
This discussion has been closed.