Options

new spooky thread... or IS IT???

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

The framing of that short to mimic a cut-away view of an egg (white border, yellow inside) is really clever.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Rn9MTdB.jpg

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Do you want to make a contract with me, and become a Magical Girl?
    tumblr_mpueo3EO9S1qkqgkeo1_1280.jpg

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    ...still yes

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Falx wrote: »
    Do you want to make a contract with me, and become a Magical Girl?
    tumblr_mpueo3EO9S1qkqgkeo1_1280.jpg

Spoilers for that spoiler.
    Again, big spoilers for Madoka Magica, for those who don't know where said image was from.
    I wouldn't go so far as to call the series scary, but I would certainly call it one of the most unsettling things I've watched in a while, and much of it has to do with Kyubey.

Ignoring the fact that the very concept of Kyubey was direclty taken from HP Lovecraft's works (as is the case for much of Urobuchi's works), the idea of this emotionless creature putting on a permanent grin on its face while falsifying emotions (as well as play upon the emotions of the very girls he's deceiving) is really terrifying. This white fucker claims to not understand humans or the need for emotions, but he certainly understands how to manipulate them both in order to further his own goals.

When the series begins, it looks like Kyubey is this loveable Anime mascot companion, laughing alongside Madoka and the others while promising them lots of fun adventures.

But once things take an immediate turn into suffering town once Mami dies, and we've got Madoka and Sayaka crying into each other's arms while Kyubey continues to keep that same smile...now it looks like he's laughing at them instead. Then there's the notion that he's possibly immortal and could also make your head explode if he wanted to.

The Witches are damn creepy on their own, but Kyubey really makes up the dark undertones of the series. I would personally rank him up there as one of the all-time great monster concepts out there.

He also creeped my sister out something fierce, even claiming to me that one night she saw a white cat look outside her window with that same blank stare. Said she couldn't sleep at all after that.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    jajX0pB.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

The framing of that short to mimic a cut-away view of an egg (white border, yellow inside) is really clever.

I didn't even notice his body was a yolk until last night

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSBVo59j9U

I always found this unsettling

I saw stuff like this as part of inland empire. Fucking hell that was possibly the most unpleasant film I have ever watched. Everything about it just repulsed me.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Jesus I remember this
    what was Nickelodeon doing showing weird Dutch cartoons

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Jesus I remember this
    what was Nickelodeon doing showing weird Dutch cartoons

Eh, I saw it as part of Spike and Mike's Festival of Animation in San Diego back in... mid-80s.
    Along with "The Cat Came Back" and a few others.

Here's my contribution:
    water.jpg
    It's nothing really. Just the last thing my camera ever saw when I dropped it into the river.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Came across this on Crunchyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/yamishibai-japanese-ghost-stories

Looks like something worth checking out each week.

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular

I genuenly feel like I've developed a mental illness after watching 5 minutes of this.

like, fucking hell.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I genuenly feel like I've developed a mental illness after watching 5 minutes of this.

like, fucking hell.

Starring (2x Oscar nominated) Naomi Watts...

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    I love David Lynch

in theory.

I've never managed to build up the courage to actually watch one of his movies, as most of his stuff just scares the living bejeezus out of me.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    they just randomized their lines and played a scary loop

then set up the lights to give them noticable shadows

featuring Naomi Watts reminding us that laugh tracks are kind of terrifying

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    I've tried to watch that Rabbit video a few times now. Just can't do it.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Actually, looking at it again, that was pretty much what was in inland empire. Which was basically a three hour film of exactly that. Random dialogue, tense music, some weird cinematography, and a whole lot of unsettling bullshit.

That was really draining. It was nearly five or six years ago for me and I still feel traumatised.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    DE?AD wrote: »
    I love David Lynch

in theory.

I've never managed to build up the courage to actually watch one of his movies, as most of his stuff just scares the living bejeezus out of me.

I love his movies. I just don't know whether I can bring myself to re-watch them unfortunately.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Ana Ng wrote: »

I had to take multiple breaks.

And I STILL got bizarre and disturbing dreams after.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    watched the rabbits video in one go and just spent time laughing at it

absurd statements and parody of audience reactions to characters coming in
    and then the room turned red and it stopped being funny

Antimatter on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Ana Ng wrote: »

I had to take multiple breaks.

And I STILL got bizarre and disturbing dreams after.
    Its inside you now

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I should watch Twin Peaks.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the one where kramer watches a beached whale die over the course of an afternoon, unable to help. maybe unable. maybe unwilling.
    the one where Jerry slashes a waiter's wrist with a steak knife on a whim, he just wanted to see if he could do it, to know life and death

is there a way to jump straight to a particular point on someone's twitter feed as opposed to having to scroll through the last month of his tweets to find the rest of these

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I marathoned the rabbits late at night alone in a large dark room while extremely tired

Not my best idea !

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I know David Lynch is very respected, and I've seen some of Twin Peaks and I liked it well enough, but when I read descriptions of things like Rabbits, and then when I go scroll through it on Youtube just to check it out, I just wonder what in the fuck other people are getting out of this

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    I absolutely don't mean to disparage anyone who's a big Lynch fan here but I just do not have the time for him

• Options
    oh yeah?

• Options
    Who is the big Lynch fan
    is it you

• Options
    actually I think I am on the small side of medium

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I know David Lynch is very respected, and I've seen some of Twin Peaks and I liked it well enough, but when I read descriptions of things like Rabbits, and then when I go scroll through it on Youtube just to check it out, I just wonder what in the fuck other people are getting out of this

Well, in your case, it might be nothing.

Acetaminophen has been shown to lessen the impact of surrealism. You on any flu medication?

(Or, you know, natural resistance. Some people just take attacks on the fundamental concept of meaning better than others.)

(Also, I found rabbits much less disturbing once it went red. Condensed all the potential nightmares into one scenario, and I can cope with one horrible thing. It's the abstract idea of horror that's worse for me. Heh. Most afraid of fear itself.)

• Options
    Surrealism has always just been a tough pill to swallow
    I'm hard pressed to think of an instance of it that appealed to me

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

The Prisoner?
    there are two ways to answer this question

i think you know which is the wrong way

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    GG just watch blue velvet please

if you don't like that film then I don't know man you might just be dumb or something

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I watched the first Rabbits video and I don't really get what is spooky about it. The chanting was creepy but it didn't bother me much. I spent most of the time trying to connect the out of sequence talking.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

The Prisoner?

I'd say the Prisoner is an interesting case, as, right up until the ending, it had an agent understanding and defying the surrealistic nature of his world. Drake is always trying to find the rules, understand the systems, and escape. And, as the series goes on, he succeeds more and more.

Most surrealistic stuff relies on the human inability to comprehend. The Prisoner relies on defiance.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Yeah I didn't really find that at all disturbing or unsettling. The music added a little creep I guess?

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

The Prisoner?

I'd say the Prisoner is an interesting case, as, right up until the ending, it had an agent understanding and defying the surrealistic nature of his world. Drake is always trying to find the rules, understand the systems, and escape. And, as the series goes on, he succeeds more and more.

Most surrealistic stuff relies on the human inability to comprehend. The Prisoner relies on defiance.

Yeah I dig on The Prisoner for this reason

• Options
    balerbower wrote: »
    GG just watch blue velvet please

if you don't like that film then I don't know man you might just be dumb or something

You sure know how to convince a dude, you know that

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    rabbits kind of reminds me of this stop motion movie about charlie manson. it wasn't well made but it was disturbing to me just the way the characters moved and looked.

some old gumby episodes (like the one where he goes to space) really freaked me out as a kid. the music and disjointed animation... so weird.

This discussion has been closed.