As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fight for the Survival of Your Kind in a [Tokyo Jungle]

CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Social Entropy++
If you don't know what Tokyo Jungle is, watch this teaser first (only 22 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vv-LVwQAmV4

23xum.jpg

There is a PS3 game with no timeline on a US release date... it's the first game I've really thought, "Oh, I want to import that," after seeing a preview. (PS3 games are almost universally not region locked)

The game is a survival game set in post apocalyptic Tokyo where there was a real-ass apocalypse. Humanity is gone, and you're fighting for the survival of your kind (Pomeranians, for a serious portion of the game--the promo materials seem to be saying, and other animals you play 'flesh out' a story of why mankind has disappeared).

Short Preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ejBt-CWCv4E#!

17 Minutes of Game Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mZQOeGBk_Os

So there's a story mode where you play as various animals, trying to survive, and unravel the mystery of what happened--and a survival mode, where you pick an animal that you've unlocked in order to rack up high scores, get your animal husbandry on (check that 15 second preview again if you didn't notice the elephants about to add more ivory to the market), and find chow, now that the pet food's run out.

You also can acquire clothing and accessories to dress up your animals. These things affect their stats. So say you were playing an elephant, and wanted to add some speed...
600x-1.jpg
Maybe you'd stick a pair of roller skates on him.

Anyway, it comes out June 7th in the land of the rising sun, and I'm seriously considering it.

Anybody else in on this?

Edit: There was an EU release announced, but no day.

Tokyo-Jungle-Box-Art.jpg

CowShark on

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Now that is an interesting take on the post-apocalypse genre!

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    There is now way to win when using Panda-mode. Everyone knows pandas don't fuck.

Hyena mode must be like instant cheat mode.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Huh.

Pretty Cool! i don't have a PS3 though

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Okay this sounds pretty cool.

• Options
    Can you be a baboon? This is important

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    In my version of a just world, this would've been something that didn't languish for years in development, and would've been a system-selling app.

I just heard about it, but apparently it's been a light presence on the press for a couple years--and from googling, it seems like the JPN ad campaign has ramped up pretty hard now that it's imminent.

• Options
    I wanna be a penguin

Post apocalyptic penguin

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I've seen a lot of various kinds of cats, dogs, ruminants, and 'chick' but no simians or primates in the previews I've looked at.

There are a bunch of "Japanese game dev plays" videos up on youtube, from some ad campaign they're running, that might be the best bet to get a good look at the character select screen (I read 50-80 types of animals somewhere, I'm pretty sure).

There's a bunch of these, and lots of news posts the game if you look up "tokyo jungle" on andriasang.com
    e.g. - http://andriasang.com/con128/tokyo_jungle_kitase/

CowShark on
  • Options
    i would be the much superior post apocalyptic puffin

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »

Pah

Like puffins are superior to penguins

Pistols at dawn

Pistols that we cannot properly hold in our flippers

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »

Pah

Like puffins are superior to penguins

Pistols at dawn

Pistols that we cannot properly hold in our flippers

puffin-skip.jpg
    puffin3.jpg

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    can i just say that the commercial is sublime

short and sweet

and I cannot NOT shout TOKYO JUNGLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE along with it

• Options
    My sister had a Pomeranian who'd been given a lion haircut when she adopted it.

Maybe that helps make this compelling for me.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I have no idea what this is but I am compelled to talk about it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    If this is only like $10 I'd buy it. Sounds interesting

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    It has me intrigued, definitely.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Okay, I must have this game.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I think there's playable dinosaurs in this?

If not, there should be.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    this looks fucking incredible oh my god

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Apparently there are plans for an NA release! (over PSN, at least)
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/08/sonys-wacky-tokyo-jungle-headed-to-north-america-and-europe/

Meanwhile, I got my JPN copy from FedEx this morning--but have only played through the tutorials (I think they got me a handle on the controls. Although I still am not sure how "picking up an opposite sex animal" works--since that tutorial had a lot of text and I was like, "Classy lady dog. Come with me!" and she just stood there--then I ate a sheep, came back, and she followed.

The end of the work day cannot come fast enough.

CowShark on