Options

Hey guys, remember the 90s?

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So I wrote this rant on nostalgia elsewhere earlier today. I'm not going to say I'm necessarily right about it, but it seemed releveant to this forum thread so here goes:

I'm so tired of a certain kind of nostalgia that people love to pimp.

“oh my god you guys 2000 was 12 years ago”

“holy shit rocko’s modern life came on 19 years ago”

“i was 11 when i started watching naruto and now I’m 18! I’M SO OLD DUDE.”

“I remember mighty morphin’ power rangers and the original pokemon (there were none after that, obviously)! I’m a nineties kid forever!”

I’m sick of this attitude and how prevalent it’s gotten on the internet recently.

Is it not enough to accept the flow of time? Are you so defined by the person you were a decade ago that you cannot bear to realize how long you’ve carried the dead weight of all your collected nostalgia on your back, simply so you can exhibit it to others as a mark of status?

I am not saying you cannot remember the past - to say so would be foolish and hypocritical of me. Rather, I am saying that you must be willing to accept that the past is, in fact, the past. Do not let your nostalgia define your being. Otherwise you’re wasting a very valuable present on wondering where the infinite presents before that went.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I get more annoyed by people passing off shit that has been going on since forever as something new just because they suddenly had an epiphany

(I'm only playing MS, keeses)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    well yeah that kinda thing is vaguely annoying but honestly if people are slowly and stupidly enlightening themselves that's okay
    i just hate the whole mindset that has been going around of "dude 2000 was 12 years ago" because it has really gotten omnipresent and obnoxiously so

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    you sayin' you ain't proud to be a NINETIESKID..?

• Options
    if i have any pride of that decade it's a humble pride at best

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    let's hear you say to that vanilla ice's face then, if you're so tough

• Options
    oh snap it's on

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I can't remember if these were an 80s or 90s thing. I'd wager 90s since I had them, but Wrinkles? They were like bloodhound puppets in Cosby sweaters that would bark? When I was tiny they were a huge hit at the house. Didn't hurt that my mom got them for me when we had a litter of bloodhound puppies.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    So I wrote this rant on nostalgia elsewhere earlier today. I'm not going to say I'm necessarily right about it, but it seemed releveant to this forum thread so here goes:

“I remember mighty morphin’ power rangers and the original pokemon (there were none after that, obviously)! I’m a nineties kid forever!”

I’m sick of this attitude and how prevalent it’s gotten on the internet recently.

Is it not enough to accept the flow of time? Are you so defined by the person you were a decade ago that you cannot bear to realize how long you’ve carried the dead weight of all your collected nostalgia on your back, simply so you can exhibit it to others as a mark of status?

I am not saying you cannot remember the past - to say so would be foolish and hypocritical of me. Rather, I am saying that you must be willing to accept that the past is, in fact, the past. Do not let your nostalgia define your being. Otherwise you’re wasting a very valuable present on wondering where the infinite presents before that went.

it's almost like a generation of kids who had their youth pandered to are being confronted with adulthood

weird

• Options

yo I love highlander but the first season of that show was so bad it was basically unwatchable

there are entire episodes without swordfights

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    90's are kind of eh

despite ostensibly being a NINETIESKID I have more nostalgia for the 00's

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    90's are kind of eh

despite ostensibly being a NINETIESKID I have more nostalgia for the 00's

I have nostalgia for my early childhood but I did not like the 90s culture and aesthetic, even as a little girl. I hated how everyone dressed especially. I thought all modern fashion was hideous so I refused to dress in anything except for costumes.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    The only thing i'm sick of is the whole "my nostalgia is better than your nostalgia!" thing I had to endure both online and during my years studying abroad. Mainly it was the 80's kids taking a slam on my 90's stuff and trying to pass off things like TMNT and Thundercats as some bizarre high art or whatever.

I'm all

dude

These shows suck. My shows suck in retrospect

Stop cramping my fun

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    whoa whoa whoa!

Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles, while not high art, Did Not suck.

Thundercats i was never big on, but you best watch yourself about TMNT

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    No the show was complete trash

Accept it and move on

Godfather on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Godfather wrote: »
    No the show was complete trash

Accept it and move on

Yeah but it was self-aware of how bad it was. There's that.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    man, i was watching it the other day.

It isn't great, but as far as cartoons of that era? pretty damn good man. held up better then transformers and GI Joe.

The Real Ghostbusters is also still pretty good.

It's not like these things are high art, but there was care put into making them. to just call them trash is just dumb.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I fucking loved the Highlander TV show

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    also this was on right after

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGrZlcWthLI

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

This not a new thing at all. I grew up on 80's shows and when I went out during my late teens / early 20's (so talking 10 years or so ago) there would inevitabley be a conversation about how good kids shows were back then and how crappy they are now. Every generation goes through a period of nostalgia when they hit their early 20's, it's probably something to do with the move into adulthood and pining for your lost youth. Or some sort of 'goldfen age' fallacy. The only reason it seems more prevelant to you right now (and here I'm going to make a massive assumption) is priobably the online bubble thing. You tend to interact with people of that age group online, so of course you see a lot of this nostalgia. And as soon as you start thinking about something like this, you notice it more and more.

• Options
    Ever notice when you notice something, suddenly it is everywhere?

Cause it was always there, you just never noticed it before.

Also, the 90s had some pretty good cartoons man. today has good ones as well. There has always been and always be good and terrible things for child consumption. the world keeps on turning.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    One thing the 90s definitely had was Batman TAS, which sparked pretty much all of the major movements DC has done with their animated works.

Then again, were it not for the 89 film, that show may never have happened. So really no decade has a monopoly on awesome/terrible stuff.

It's funny, because I grew up partially in the 80s as well, so I have a pretty wide perspective on cartoons and other shows. I have seen various shows from three decades, each with loads of stuff nothing like what came before. I've seen everyhing from Ghostbuters, to Biotic Six, to Sonic the Hedgehog, to Batman, to the Last Airbender.

And of course there's an endless list of awful shows as well. But I prefer to focus on the good.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    A lot of my research points to ducktales being like the first cartoon with a budget, proving that cartoons could be a worthwhile money sink. before this they were largely just cheap deals, often to sell toys or cereal and so on.

That was also a pretty rad show to boot.

Yeah, it doesn't hold up to me as an adult, but as a child that was something.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Sometimes I watch cartoons

and I want to like them because they make me nostalgic

but at the same time I am bored because I am an adult.

• Options
    What you need are adult cartoons

my bud has the vhs of one called Heavy Metal. Man it is a trip. check it out.

• Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    What you need are adult cartoons

my bud has the vhs of one called Heavy Metal. Man it is a trip. check it out.

v...h....s? What...what is that? Like, a dvd?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    The fuck is a DVD?

Is that like some sort of download service?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yeah there's always nostalgia for 2 decades behind

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I have nostalgia for being a kid, not for the 90's.

I don't think I'll give any shits about the 2010's in 20 years.

Unless aliens invade or the sun explodes or something.

Then I'll be pining for the good ol' days.

When we didn't have oppressive martian overlords or a chill eternal night.

RT800 on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I have nostalgia for being a kid, not for the 90's..

this is what people are talking about though

being nostalgic for that period of time when they were a child

just so happens that for a lot of people on the internet, that time was the 90s

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEv-jZwXtUQ

NSFW for cleavage I guess?

sig.gif
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Deicist wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    this comic with an ad for an old show in the back:
    7Ag2p.jpg

Oh hey, Above and beyond. Loved that show, was pretty ticked off when it got cancelled.

pffffft

http://youtu.be/LHQnnoU4i5w

• Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    He-Man was a seminal cartoon that kicked off the golden age of 80's cartoons, not because of it's (admittedly pedestrian) content, but because it was the first cartoon made specifically to sell toys and marketing materials to kids.

Prior to the 80's, there were strict rules about what could and couldn't be shown to children. Essentially, you couldn't put a show on TV to sell a product. So while there were marketing materials for all those classic cartoons - Scooby-Doo, Tom and Jerry, Bugs and Daffy, etc, they were all cartoons first and with marketing materials by providence.

What changed all this was (predictably) Star Wars.

When George Lucas retained the toy rights and exploited the market for his surprise blockbuster, the childrens market went crazy. There were lightsabers, lunchboxes, toys, clothing and that famous empty box you could give your kids for Christmas (I don't know about you, but I think the ability to sell empty boxes is genius).

ANyway, in the early 80's the craze started dying down and Mattel sales started depressing, and they were looking for the next big thing. Enter Generic Hero Everyman, with bulging muscles and some cat that turns into a bigger cat! And, in the wake of Star Wars, the American broadcasting regulators decided the damage had been done, and to compete on a even footing with movies, perhaps a relaxing of certain rules could be allowed...

Enter the age of marketing cartoons.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe was conceived. It was basically the first cartoon ever made with a toy line, comic books, lunch boxes and all that stuff that we just take for granted these days already prepared and waiting for an audience. It was a toyline first, with built-in marketing materials in the form of a cartoon, specifically tailored to make kids buy the toys.

Welcome to your childhood.

It paved the way for GI Joe, Transformers, TMNT and every major child marketing fad of the 80's and early 90's. It set the stage for the rise and return of Disney cartoons in the form of Duck Tales, Tale Spin and Rescue Rangers; it leveraged into the marketing strategy to bring Pokemon to the American market; it was even responsible for the early 90's launch of The Simpsons.

He-Man, considered on its own, is perhaps not as memorable as those that followed after. But the cultural ramifications of the change it heralded have fundamentally altered the economics of the entire entertainment industry ever ever since.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    RT800 on
  • Options
    to this day my dad is irritated on my behalf that my mother did not let me watch he-man

"It had some good messages," he says

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Thanks to netflix I've watched some of the cartoons from my childhood.

They are so bad.

Thanks for destroying my nostalgia Netflix

Battletag BYToady#1454