7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Man captain america can bench 1200 lbs

That is super

Especially at his weight. I think the record is a 300 or so pound guy doing 1075. And that's with a bench press shirt, but I'm sure cap's uniform has those properties as needed.

IRT geebs

he's in the justice league because reporters can't afford skyscrapers, duh. They let him play because he owns the ball. I like to think that's what's going on with the whole "batman always comes out on top" thing.

Like Supes and Darkseid are talking in the clinch like WWE guys

"Dude, don't flatten wayne, he's the meal ticket for this whole scene. Just let him think he's really winning."

"I can dig it. I leave wayne standing, you do the same with luthor?"

"Sigh. Deal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Cyr

and cap does not have superpowers

Cap took a drug

it made him bigger, stronger, and faster

he can out perform any normal person

despite weighing less than the carnival performer from the 1800s you posted, cap can beat his unsubstantiated records, as well as his real records. IN sets. WIthout really trying. Then he can do it again, to actually recordholders. If nothing else, achieving a peak POSSIBLE athletic level at more than one thing is superpower. You can probably find a guy who can bench as much as cap, a guy who is as gymnastic as cap, and a guy who throws knives or something as well as cap throws his shield...I defy you to find one who does all three.

Notice how many gymnast/powerlifting crossovers there are in the real world? Also, how many people in the real world have survived being frozen for 50 years again?

Super. Powered.

Edit: You do understand that none of those things Louis Cyr did were a straight-up bench press, right? That they were carnival/strongman tricks where you make yourself look stronger then you are? (which in his case was still pretty strong, no doubt)

The comics make a point of it that he's not really superhuman. Whether or not his feats count as superhuman in real life is irrelevant. In the context of the comics they are not, because nobody can ever fucking shut up about how he's not technically superhuman.

Batman does things no real human could possibly do in a million years. Does Batman have superpowers now, too?

no

batman is a huge gary stu. Written badly - ala 'bat shark repellent' groaners from the 60s - he is almost a parody of a gary stu. We let it slide because he is so established and so awesome, but at the end of the day he is inexplicably superheroic. That's one reason I like the Arkham Asylum games - because they play up the idea that one of the main things batman is is a tremendous poker player who has everyone convinced he is even more dangerous than he really is.

but cap is different . . . because he can actually do the things he can do, which no other human can do, because super science was applied to him in an origin story that directly advanced his abilities to a high level, and maintained them there for years

I will say, however, I have no problem with Bruce Wayne on a given day doing anything Tony Stark can do. I mean, if Tony Stark can do it half in the bag, Bruce Wayne should be able to do it sober, right?

Oh my god

I'm out

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    people keep using mary sue/gary stu wrong

they are, first and foremost, superpowerful self-inserts

Yeah, but the term has evolved long ago to include more than just self-insertion. Not to mention Batman could easily act as a self-insert for an author so

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options

Yeah, but the term has evolved long ago to include more than just self-insertion. Not to mention Batman could easily act as a self-insert for an author so

even with how those terms have evolved he's using it improperly.

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Spectre-x wrote: »

even with how those terms have evolved he's using it improperly.

Yeah I kind of stopped reading the post once he said Gary Stu

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Gary

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    gary

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    every protagonist is a gary stu now

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    "A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author or reader."

I didn't put the bolded part on

you can totally check the edit log on the wiki

but whatever. A canon stu, if you prefer. He's certainly a piece of wish fulfillment. A really dark one, actually, since when you look at batman, at a fundamental level, what is he? He's a rich jock that beats up nerds. Batman is actually a horrible person. He has no personal life, he's an adrenaline junky, his only salient romantic relationships are deeply, weirdly co-dependent.

Basically he's .... the logical evolution of Christian Bale's character in American Pyscho.

It all makes sense now.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    fuck the internet

just fuck it all with its need to label every goddamn thing and trying to compartmentalize and jesus christ

kill it all

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Batman works best in his own stories, by and large. That's pretty definite.

Naw

He works great with other people

As a support role

The problem is people still want to see him doing his ninja shit, when really he should be playing backseat chemist most of the time he is teamed up with the League or similar

If you want him to shine as a ninja detective, yeah, maybe he should be on his own, or teamed up with someone without combat based super powers

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Goddammit

Where is my Batman/John Constantine team up book

That is what we need

• Options
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    fuck the internet

just fuck it all with its need to label every goddamn thing and trying to compartmentalize and jesus christ

kill it all

I'm not sure you're using compartmentalize right there

maybe what you mean is it needs to index everything?

Compartmentalizing implies separation, I'm not sure that's what you really mean

(I'm kidding)

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    somehow, spex has decide he doesn't want to argue a point

that is how bad you are, Johnny

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Goddammit

Where is my Batman/John Constantine team up book

That is what we need

Two detectives

Getting the shit kicked out of them by forces more powerful then them

But with enough tactical planning/moxie to keep going

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    So Tim Drake went straight to being Red Robin, and was never Robin in the new 52 apparently :/

• Options
    They have to work together against a rival detective team

The Question and the Riddler

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    somehow, spex has decide he doesn't want to argue a point

that is how bad you are, Johnny

I went to one of those schools where everyone who plays gets a trophy

I feel like a winner all the time.

Peak human self esteem is my super-power.

I guess I'm very like the tick in that regard

also my tight blue clothing and general obliviousness

• Options
    Montoya Question and not a supervillain Riddler, obvs

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    They have to work together against a rival detective team

The Question and the Riddler

now I have an erection

• Options
    every time the question is mentioned, I get so angry at what dc did with new 52 vic sage

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    every time the question is mentioned, I get so angry at what dc did with new 52 vic sage

Oh fuck you

I'd forgotten

• Options
    Constantine is my favorite comic

oops

i mean hellblazer

what kind of idiot would just rename that property Constantine for no reason? I must be hung over, I'm operating on a hollywood level.

but Constanblazer is using a slightly different device. The device in play in Hellstantine is that no one, maybe not even the man himself, is actually certain how powerful John is.

• Options
    Batman is actually a horrible person. He has no personal life, he's an adrenaline junky, his only salient romantic relationships are deeply, weirdly co-dependent.

Basically he's .... the logical evolution of Christian Bale's character in American Pyscho.

It all makes sense now.

haha, wow. you saw the pier coming and you just held down the gas pedal anyway, didn't you?

• Options
    Maybe Vic will die and a new Question will take his place

She doesn't have powers or anything, but she's a trained police detective used to dealing with the worst of Gotham's worst

• Options
    Batman is actually a horrible person. He has no personal life, he's an adrenaline junky, his only salient romantic relationships are deeply, weirdly co-dependent.

It all makes sense now.

haha, wow. you saw the pier coming and you just held down the gas pedal anyway, didn't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgnG-TNXPk

• Options

Oh fuck you

I'd forgotten

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO NEVER FORGET

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    what I'm trying to say is you really went off the deep end there, Johnny

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    One day Patrick Bateman forgot the E when he wrote his name down

HISTORY WAS MADE

• Options
    I just wanted a Question and Answer ongoing

It just never happened

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    double poast

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    what I'm trying to say is you really went off the deep end there, Johnny

Yeah, and I can't swim

but it's ok

the fall will probably kill me

KalTorak wrote: »
    One day Patrick Bateman forgot the E when he wrote his name down

HISTORY WAS MADE

and why is bruce batman

be cause of his father's death

a cruel murder

what else is cruel

trick or treat

what is another name for a father

pa

"pa trick"

pa trick. bateman

300.angelsanddemons.hanks.tom.lc.011309.jpg

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    "Sea" for Catwoman

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    it all boils down to a sinister riddle!

• Options

john is a redhead. so is isley. We know that superman can fly around the sun and travel in time. Ergo, it's very possible that Poison Ivy was secretly a reverse crossdresser and it's HER in the last supper, engineering the "polination" if you will of the christian religion - all in an effort to slow the march of progress by instigating the crusades, thus slowing the use of plant habitat as city.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

A thought strikes me, so dreadful I scarcely dare give it utterance!

Adam West rightfully gets a lot of credit for '60s Batman, but Burgess Meredith and the guy who plays Commission Gordon completely seal the deal

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I think everyone in this thread is an idiot with a different reason why for each.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    trippy later banned for violating the edict like seventy times

0BnD8l3.gif
This discussion has been closed.