As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Breath of Fire 3 - How to condense a JRPG!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    These are still awesome, nice job Henroid. I always died when I first got into the mansion. Shit's cray.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The playthrough I did before I decided I wanted to LP this, I had NO problems in the mansion. And fucking this time I died going in through the door.

I should explain what happened there; I forgot to pull my formation out of attack to defense. Teepo got wrecked so hard, I felt like an amateur.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Oh god, the roaches. That totally happened to me on my second playthrough. I thought I was being all clever, farming up silver weapons from the fish merchant to deal with the mansion bosses, and then JUMP SPAM HA HA HOPE YOU SAVED RECENTLY OH WAIT YOU COULDN'T BECAUSE STEALTH SEQUENCE

Good times.

Also, late on this, but the whole thing with the Nue messed with my young, impressionable mind. I felt like shit afterwards, which is not what I was expecting from a cartoony JRPG by Capcom. Well played.

Anyhoo, good stuff so far, digging this LP. The mansion should be fun :)

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The Mygas dude reminded me of the Archmage random enemy near the end. Never did manage to beat him.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The Mygas dude reminded me of the Archmage random enemy near the end. Never did manage to beat him.

Neither have I, don't feel bad. Some of the end-game stuff gets kinda weird. And by weird I mean useless and unnecessary.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Roo, nooooo!

Henroid, how could you?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Neither have I, don't feel bad. Some of the end-game stuff gets kinda weird. And by weird I mean useless and unnecessary.

I once got totally fucked by Archmage - there's one point where you have to walk between two teleporters - they're very close together and the room has a very low encounter rate, but BAM. I hadn't saved in a while either.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Are you making up any of the dialogue in between screenshots henroid? How are you showing this so I know what is real and what is your fevered humor brain producing witticisms with wild abandon.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Are you making up any of the dialogue in between screenshots henroid? How are you showing this so I know what is real and what is your fevered humor brain producing witticisms with wild abandon.

Italics text is made up by me. I should have noted this in the OP.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I thought that might be the case.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Enemy skills in this game bring out the obsessive-compulsive in me. It's like blue magic in Final Fantasy; I must get as many as possible.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    To the LP author, a quick suggestion on what to do with Peco to make your life easier if you hadn't thought of it already:
    I'm like you. I find the little bastard worthless and uninteresting. But he IS great for cheesing your way into some great skills in a very timely fashion. I leave him at level 1 and use him to get Kyrie and Shadowstep, since getting a large QUANTITY of levels from level 1 is incredibly easy. Skill Ink+Peco, the most useful Peco.

Also this.
    Well, that's why you use command. Both him andu ncontrolled kaiser follow command. Best skill in the game!

Followed by shadowwalk for Momo to fix her terrible hitting things problem.

Oh man I still have my 80 hour all items, all skills maxed save. I love breath of fire games. Maybe I should do a lp of one of the others.

This is why Rei is better than Garr in every conceivable way. Garr isn't a bad character, he's just overshadowed by unreasonably overpowered ones who do his job way better than him.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I sure hope by the end of this lets play I'll finally understand what on earth you guys are talking about.
    That's your goal here. Make me understand via the power of your pictures.
    I found the descriptions of stat + and - very clear btw. Is there a reason why choosing the character you did was odd or different? You seemed to feel the need to explain that one.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I found the descriptions of stat + and - very clear btw. Is there a reason why choosing the character you did was odd or different? You seemed to feel the need to explain that one.

There's more masters on the way, obviously, but since Rei isn't meant to be a caster (even though he does learn a couple spells) and Roo I like to keep as a melee character, I didn't apprentice them under Mygas. Teepo is built like Roo sorta, but actually learns offensive magic. So him being apprenticed in this way is to his benefit.

• Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    To the LP author, a quick suggestion on what to do with Peco to make your life easier if you hadn't thought of it already:
    I'm like you. I find the little bastard worthless and uninteresting. But he IS great for cheesing your way into some great skills in a very timely fashion. I leave him at level 1 and use him to get Kyrie and Shadowstep, since getting a large QUANTITY of levels from level 1 is incredibly easy. Skill Ink+Peco, the most useful Peco.

Yeah.
    I'm actually going to wait for a point in the game before I even give Peco any level ups. Specifically, I'm waiting for Deis to be available as a master. She takes 15 levels to learn all her skills, and since her stat gains / penalties are total shit (in my opinion), I'm not putting anyone useful under her tutorage. She pretty much teaches AoE spells and giving those to Momo seems good to me. Nina learns some of those on her own, but her stat gains are so awful I don't plan to use her full-time.

• Options
    Speaking of Nina:
    I don't think I've ever actually used her in BoF III beyond the points where you're required to. For some reason, the late-90s JRPG caster chicks just never fit into my parties. Same with Elly in Xenogears. I'm going to have to replay BoF III some time and force myself to use Nina to see how she is.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    Speaking of Nina:
    I don't think I've ever actually used her in BoF III beyond the points where you're required to. For some reason, the late-90s JRPG caster chicks just never fit into my parties. Same with Elly in Xenogears. I'm going to have to replay BoF III some time and force myself to use Nina to see how she is.

I was the opposite.
    I felt like I HAD to have a strong magic caster around. Which wasn't a bad idea per se, but in this game, strong magic use kinda falls short of what melee types can do. Granted, Nina's strength is that she has AP for days so she doesn't run out. She can use magic all the time. But even equipping her with a Wisdom ring, the damage output was so bad. In my previous play through she was getting 200ish damage done against most bosses. Meanwhile Momo was able to shoot for that much damage, and since I had Roo up front in attack formation, he was laying waste to everything with way, way more damage.

I'm thinking of having my party be Roo, Garr, and Momo in the magic formation (Momo being in the back). She can buff the boys, and she'll be versatile enough with her magic and attack that she'll be a good damage dealer. Garr can just soak up damage, as can Roo, who will also have his super-god-mode dragon attacks.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Speaking of Nina:
    Off topic, but Elly was pretty useful in a few niche fights. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I do remember a couple of the harder bosses that took a lot of magic damage and that Fei's and Bart's skills were pretty useless.

Elly and Emeralda made them easy.

Someone needs to do a Xenogears Let's Play.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Momo can do everything Nina can in the field of magic, but with more utility and a decent attack. So fuck Nina.

(Also Nina is made of paper mache)
    Speaking of Nina:
    Off topic, but Elly was pretty useful in a few niche fights. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I do remember a couple of the harder bosses that took a lot of magic damage and that Fei's and Bart's skills were pretty useless.

Good news, the best of LPers already has.

http://lparchive.org/Xenogears-(by-The-Dark-Id)/

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    So fuck Nina.

Well if you insist...

well, at least the older Nina

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Momo can do everything Nina can in the field of magic, but with more utility and a decent attack. So fuck Nina.

(Also Nina is made of paper mache)
    Speaking of Nina:

Good news, the best of LPers already has.

http://lparchive.org/Xenogears-(by-The-Dark-Id)/

Damn you!

Now I have to read that.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Dem roaches. D:

Man, you're not even through the first segment of the story and I'm already nostalgia'd up enough to hunt down a copy of this game. Now to dig up my PS1 from the garage of undying horrors.

Or hey, PS2's do the whole backwards compatability thing, I'll just use that. Would be nice if I could use my PS3 for it...

naengwen on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So fuck Nina.

Well if you insist...

well, at least the older Nina

Ain't a thing wrong with that. Ain't a thing.

Glad I'm not the only one nostalgia tripping from this LP. You can accuse BoF3 of playing like a typical JRPG - always felt the encounter rate was on the high side - but I still say it really was something special. There aren't many games that nail the journey, the drama of just getting from A to B in this crazy world. There was never any world-ending impetus to keep going, but the adventure itself was epic all the same. It's difficult to pin down; I've played my share of the genre, but rarely anything quite like it.

And shoot me right here if Ryu and Nina as kids isn't goddamn adorable.

Stolls on
  • Options
    There aren't many JRPGs that nail those "wham" moments as effectively as BoF3 did. When shit goes down in the game, it goes down.

The journey was pretty awesome; everything that happens while Ryu Roo blue hair number 3 is a kid is pretty freaking fantastic. He's a lot less interesting once he's grown up, but that's the point that the rest of the cast finally starts to shine.

Cept Nina. Fuck Nina.

Cus that's all she's good for, see :winky:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    2 > 4 > 1 = 3 > 5

And I don't mean the games.

:winky:

Okay I'll stop now.

Edit: And yeah, the rest of the cast rounds out nicely after the time jump. Also, the town-building minigame was great. So many hours lost just trying to get those expansions.

Stolls on
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW8j3x3GzxY

Whenever I think about it... yeah, I really didn't like Momo. I was all right with using Peco for some reason, but Momo really irritated me. There wasn't any particular reason for it, now that I look back on it I tried getting around her accuracy deficiency all the time. But it seemed like whenever I used her, I'd always get stuck in a situation where I'd have to rely on her attacking eventually, and at that point I knew I was screwed. Maybe I just didn't manage her AP very effectively?

Bleh, either way, team migrated towards Blue, Rei and Garr the first time. Maybe when the game arrives I'll land on something else.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Dem roaches. D:

Man, you're not even through the first segment of the story and I'm already nostalgia'd up enough to hunt down a copy of this game. Now to dig up my PS1 from the garage of undying horrors.

Or hey, PS2's do the whole backwards compatability thing, I'll just use that. Would be nice if I could use my PS3 for it...
    You can use your PS3. It's backwards compatible with PS1 games. Just not PS2 games. All Playstation devices(except for the Vita) can play PS1 games.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    !?

So it does. Well that's... Pretty cool! I thought I lost all of my awesome game saves forever when my fat PS3 died. Now there's some hope!

EDIT: in that I can resume playing the non-PS2 ones. Of course you realize you just killed my chances of ever clearing my PS3 backlog, now.

naengwen on
  • Options
    Ohhhh that's right, I forgot about that. Probably because I never actually finished my PS2 backlog, and thus kept it hooked up for some theoretical future point when I would have the time.

Then Steam rolled around :oops:

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Re: Magic casters
    In BoF3 at least, I felt that Nina's on the weak side, unless the dungeon has an exploitable weakness. And I was stingy with my AP recovery items so I kind of scrimped on her. Momo's one of my favorites however. I played defensively back then, so having a Defense formation and a main healer+buffer aside from Ryu (who goes balls out with his AP using Dragon forms) helped me a ton.

Also, I tried making Garr worked, but the other guys are better. :( It's unfair.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I just use everybody. Or at least keep them up to date. No need for more curbstomping, other than Dullahan. Djinn Storm is bullshit.
    naengwen wrote: »
    Dem roaches. D:

I don't remember typing this post, but it sure looks like the author is me.

Fake edit: Except my PS3 is chinese and really isn't backwards-compatible outside of that region. (Right?)

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This post doesn't exist.

PLA on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Good news and bad news. Good news: found a friend with the PSX version of BOF3 :D I shall be playing it for the first time. Bad news: I can't find my BOF4 pc discs in storage :(

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Good news and bad news. Good news: found a friend with the PSX version of BOF3 :D I shall be playing it for the first time. Bad news: I can't find my BOF4 pc discs in storage :(

I hope you enjoy it. You should. If I was able to, I'd be whipping out updates faster so that you could have a sort of walk-thru. But I'm here to answer questions if you're hesitant / confused about things!

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Oh man, I loved Breath of Fire 3! I feel like need to get a PSP so I can play these great games again, since I think my brother has my PS1 anyway.

Edit: oh nm, it looks like BoF3 wasn't released for the PSP in NA.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Question: do I need to avoid leveling up in BOF3 until I get 'masters'? Will I gimp myself if I gain too many levels before I unlock any of those?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Question: do I need to avoid leveling up in BOF3 until I get 'masters'? Will I gimp myself if I gain too many levels before I unlock any of those?

The only way not having a master hurts is if you NEVER have a master ever in the game. Masters let you emphasize strengths of a character or balance them out. Don't force yourself to go under a master when the options are limited though; if all you have are magic masters available, don't put melee characters under them just because.

But getting a few levels, it won't hurt. Probably around the level 15 content, you want to try to have a master to make the most of things.

• Options

The only way not having a master hurts is if you NEVER have a master ever in the game. Masters let you emphasize strengths of a character or balance them out. Don't force yourself to go under a master when the options are limited though; if all you have are magic masters available, don't put melee characters under them just because.

But getting a few levels, it won't hurt. Probably around the level 15 content, you want to try to have a master to make the most of things.

Ok then. I just broke into some poor hermit's shack and I'm stealing his beef jerky. That's how it starts: first beef jerky robbery, then world domination.

I'm playing the bad guy, aren't I?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Ok then. I just broke into some poor hermit's shack and I'm stealing his beef jerky. That's how it starts: first beef jerky robbery, then world domination.

I'm playing the bad guy, aren't I?

Well, it does start with a dragon whelp going on a rampage...

Speaking of which, I totally wasn't sure who I was controlling that very first time. I saw Mogu and got confused. Felt silly afterwards, and a little guilty. I liked that little mole guy :(

Stolls on
  • Options
    Been playing this all day.
    Ok. Some werehorse jocks just kidnapped the princess, and I have to break out of the goddamn king's dungeon to go get her back. And this is after they a) burnt down my house b) beat on my friends and c) tried to sell me.

Vengeance is magic, you pony fucks. Here I come.

Capture.jpg~original