Options

Go find the new STEAM Thread!

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Dahkath wrote: »
    @
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Payday is the midweek deal (5$). DLC has also launched but no discount and no 4 pack option. This makes me a sad panda.

I just checked and they've dropped the price of the 4 pack of Payday down to $15 (Thought for sure it was $20 yesterday). I guess they finally figured out that volume = discounts ;)

Wasn't even paying attention to that one. I was hoping for a pack deal on the DLC itself.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Bah, didn't get to watch that Black Mesa video yesterday and it's already down due to a complaint. I hate youtube sometimes.

There's something of a kerfuffle about that. The guy who flagged it was a BM developer, and Valvetime are mad at him because having a copyright complain on their account endangers them, and say they'd have taken the video down if he asked. He responded that he asked them not to put it up in the first place, so felt he had no recourse. In any case Valvetime now say they won't provide any future coverage for BM.

I think it looks great, and I hope this leak doesn't push it back any further. Not that it's on a timetable at all...
    If true, this whole thing seems pretty stupid, dickish and petty on behalf of Valvetime.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Is anyone else as excited about Guns of Icarus Online as I am? Because I'm pretty damn excited! It's kind of like the Air Buccaneers mod for UT2k4 but it doesn't appear to be quite as slow paced and I love co-op games like this and oh god

I'm a little excited.
    Have you played Guns of Icarus (the first/regular one)? I found it a bit flat... I played through the campaign single-player and it was fun, but not something I think I'd repeat... the missions are just wave after wave of planes attacking your airship, which feels like a stationary platform. Apart from the weapon upgrades, the gameplay's basically just: Shoot things with a turret. When finished, repair the ship. Repeat. There's no real innovation across levels, apart from the number of waves of planes that attack you.
    I'm betting that the team-based head-to-head nature of the second game will make it a LOT more fun, though.

Yes, I've played the first one and I agree with your assessment of it. However, in this one with the ability to control the ship's speed and altitude and direction as the captain and the other classes roles I think this will be a lot more fleshed out and what I was wanting from the first game anyway.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So, Flatout Complete Pack 80% off

What do we think?

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    So, Flatout Complete Pack 80% off

What do we think?

1,2, and Ultimate Carnage are pretty great.

3 is absolute dross, avoid.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Uhh. This Rigonauts game looks AMAZING.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Flatout looks tempting but I'm mildly broke. Is there fun to be had just grabbing 1 or 2? This was the one with the wacky ragdoll flinging mini games right?

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/8584/

Steam is going to start selling non-game software it appears.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

They actually had the categories for that listed in the mobile store for a bit.

Valve sure seem to be doing a lot of different things lately.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Finally back home, so I'll quickly bump this for if anyone fancies a bit of last minute anagram unscrambling, then I'll roll for the winner in a couple of hours!

A stretchable flesh pot

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They Bleed Pixels making the move from XBLIG to Steam soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqtw04XXzhg&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else as excited about Guns of Icarus Online as I am? Because I'm pretty damn excited! It's kind of like the Air Buccaneers mod for UT2k4 but it doesn't appear to be quite as slow paced and I love co-op games like this and oh god

I'm a little excited.
    Have you played Guns of Icarus (the first/regular one)? I found it a bit flat... I played through the campaign single-player and it was fun, but not something I think I'd repeat... the missions are just wave after wave of planes attacking your airship, which feels like a stationary platform. Apart from the weapon upgrades, the gameplay's basically just: Shoot things with a turret. When finished, repair the ship. Repeat. There's no real innovation across levels, apart from the number of waves of planes that attack you.
    I'm betting that the team-based head-to-head nature of the second game will make it a LOT more fun, though.

Yes, I've played the first one and I agree with your assessment of it. However, in this one with the ability to control the ship's speed and altitude and direction as the captain and the other classes roles I think this will be a lot more fleshed out and what I was wanting from the first game anyway.

I agree - it seems like Online is the game they wanted to make in the first place. Like Mount & Blade vs. Mount & Blade: Warband, except perhaps more extreme in the changes.
    And the 4-pack is less than $10 per copy pre-ordered. Hard to go wrong.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »

Am I the only one that finds this concerning? Steam's VERY GOOD at being a game distribution and game community platform... and I can see how that would be natural to extend to other software, but the risk is that the gaming focus gets lost in the shuffle. I don't want one behemoth piece of software that can do everything - I prefer things to keep to their domain, and within that domain, to perform their chosen function(s) very well.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ah, more the merrier, right? At worst we'll end up with an empty folder for "software" on the Library screen.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The upside is I'll be able to buy a new computer, install Steam, and then hit GO and have it download anything I need.

The downside is all my eggs in one basket.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    It's one thing when you can't play your silly little games because Steam is down, but accounting software, etc? I don't think I would want that tied to an online DRM platform.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Am I the only one that finds this concerning? Steam's VERY GOOD at being a game distribution and game community platform... and I can see how that would be natural to extend to other software, but the risk is that the gaming focus gets lost in the shuffle. I don't want one behemoth piece of software that can do everything - I prefer things to keep to their domain, and within that domain, to perform their chosen function(s) very well.
    Look. I'm just waiting to see if they start selling photoshop, and have 80% off sales for it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Look. I'm just waiting to see if they start selling photoshop, and have 80% off sales for it.

Dude, $200 for Photoshop would be insane!

• Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    Its a gaming service though, at least right now. Do you think there will be a stigma against it for business use? I mean what kind of customers are they hoping to pull in with this? Also can't wait for the friends list "Non-Steam Game - Microsoft Excel"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    SteevL wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Bah, didn't get to watch that Black Mesa video yesterday and it's already down due to a complaint. I hate youtube sometimes.

Looks like it was posted elsewhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O-LopmeppI

After all this time and all the noise, I found this a bit underwhelming. It could be because I've played HL1 to death, though.

Valve is getting an App Store! One step closer to Valve OS. Aww yeah, make it happen, Gaben. ;)

Seriously, I'm not surprised, but I expected an iTunes-like function first, considering all the soundtracks that are being sold through Steam.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You say that like it's going to be good.

I mean, the fact it has an actual Dev behind it and it's not a glorified mod is a good step at least.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Has anyone heard how Pricing is going to work with tomorrow's Hero Academy release? Are we getting a free army to start with or...?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    If they're going to branch Steam out into other programs, I hope they fix the ease-of-use issues that have been following it around for years and years. I don't want to use a 3rd party hack to install programs to different drives. It's not okay if my Steam downloads auto-pause every time I start any program out of Steam.

• Options
    You say that like it's going to be good.

I mean, the fact it has an actual Dev behind it and it's not a glorified mod is a good step at least.
    It's going to have to be amazing to even come CLOSE to the original painkiller.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    I would be more able to figure out what I think about the Steam software thing if they actually went into some kind of detail about what kind of software they'll be selling in the news post. Also, I hope software launches and things won't be cluttering up the front page.

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to buy a bunch of useless software that goes on sale! YAY!

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Flatout looks tempting but I'm mildly broke. Is there fun to be had just grabbing 1 or 2? This was the one with the wacky ragdoll flinging mini games right?

Flatout 1 is a really good fun arcade racer, the graphics are fairly dated and there's no real widescreen option but it doesn't matter. I had great fun with it and I only played it for the first time about a year ago. I havent played 2 and have only played a little bit of ultimate carnage which seems great but if you're getting one of them just start at the beginning

The mini games are great fun too

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So why are we talking about a mod for a nearly ten year old game that will never come out when we can talk about a mod for a nearly twenty year old game that's already been out for about a year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samQ-Xxc1M4&feature=player_embedded

I figured there are people in this very thread who bought the Doom pack over the weekend. People who could benefit from this. This is Brutal Doom. It works with Skulltag and GZDoom.

Drake on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'm hoping to buy a bunch of useless software that goes on sale! YAY!

"Scrapbook Maker Pro on sale for only $2! I'd be a fool not to buy it!"

• Options
    rikdaly wrote: »

Flatout 1 is a really good fun arcade racer, the graphics are fairly dated and there's no real widescreen option but it doesn't matter. I had great fun with it and I only played it for the first time about a year ago. I havent played 2 and have only played a little bit of ultimate carnage which seems great but if you're getting one of them just start at the beginning

The mini games are great fun too

Thanks - it's ok I'm fairly outdated and have no widescreen support on my PC either.

I think I may grab it tonight - I have a real soft spot for arcade racers.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »
    I figured there are people in this very thread who bought the Doom pack over the weekend. People who could benefit from this. This is Brutal Doom. It works with Skulltag and GZDoom.
    Does it have a special animation for punching out John Romero's head?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Does it have a special animation for punching out John Romero's head?

Yes.

• Options
    Yes.
    sold.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Here's some of the software categories found in the mobile some time ago:

dxEeF.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dude!
    Future Me wrote:
    Quicken and TurboTax are each 75% off...

WHICH DO I BUY?! If I don't buy one of them I won't know if I can afford it!

• Options
    "The 40 million gamers frequenting Steam are interested in more than playing games," said Mark Richardson at Valve. "They have told us they would like to have more of their software on Steam, so this expansion is in response to those customer requests."

I wanna know who these people are so I can slap 'em.
    The more I think about this, the worse an idea it seems.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know what Steam's stance on the Universal Widescreen (UniWS) Patcher is? Is it ok to use it? I just started PoP:SoT and I'd like to try to get it into widescreen if possible.

• Options
    Can't wait to see what the Bad Rats of application gifting ends up being.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I'm fine with it. Steam is digital distribution platform and while it's original focus was on games I think they'll do a very good job with other software as well. I'm not certain what other kinds of software they'll have to offer and I hope they at least keep the gaming and software selections separate but I'm still excited by the possibilities. I have faith in Valve.

JtgVX0H.png