Options

Like the changes?

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    No
    ronzo wrote: »
    yeah I'm confused why the blue bar is on some threads and not others

Yeah, on further inspection it just seems to be on random threads

it also seems to be taking about twice as long to scroll through a page because of all the stuff added at the bottom of posts, but I figure that stuff will get sorted out soon

blue barred threads appear to be ones you have viewed, and have new posts, probably? it seems like it

if there are no new posts in a thread you've viewed it greys out and the blue bar disappears as well

i have no idea!

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    No
    if lurkers start agreeing/disagreeing with posts it is going to be creepy as hell

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No
    I don't really see how adding agree/disagree turns this place into reddit

or why that part of reddit is all that objectionable

I dislike the disagree button for the same reason I dislike things like "change your Facebook picture to this pink ribbon to raise breast cancer awareness!". It is the illusion of doing something while actually doing nothing at all.

This forum is already pretty circlejerky, as anyone with conservative leanings from Debate and Discourse can tell you. Now while it's okay to disagree with the points someone makes, if you're going to disagree with them publicly you have to actually stick your neck out and put effort into saying that, which they can then in turn respond to. In the long run this makes people have to explain and enforce their opinions. However if you can just click a button that says you disagree and then ignore them, that requirement to justify what you are doing vanishes. It shames opinions that aren't those of the majority, and as much as the majority might like to think they're super-smart and know what's best they don't necessarily do so. Also it discourages actively attempting to explain to someone why what they're saying is wrong if it is.

I have no problems with the agree button. A button for stuff like "this was a funny joke! not Awesome Forum funny, but i liked it!" is great.

Nah.
    see what I did there?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Yes
    I seem to already have votes on some of my posts.. I'm not sure I like this new system. Previously I could fire off my post and if anyone wanted to give their opinion on it they'd have to actually engage me in conversation.. voting ups and downs and agrees/disagrees really seems like... cheap interaction. ANd while posting on forums isn't exactly a high level of societial interaction, I think it does a better job of getting people to try and formulate an opinion that's a bit more descriptive than "yes/no"

well now I have a reason to infract people for just empty quoting or going AGREED without any context so it works for me

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    No
    I seem to already have votes on some of my posts.. I'm not sure I like this new system. Previously I could fire off my post and if anyone wanted to give their opinion on it they'd have to actually engage me in conversation.. voting ups and downs and agrees/disagrees really seems like... cheap interaction. ANd while posting on forums isn't exactly a high level of societial interaction, I think it does a better job of getting people to try and formulate an opinion that's a bit more descriptive than "yes/no"

This was my thought too. I don't really even like having a Facebook-style "like" button. This is a forum, the idea is to encourage conversation.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Yes
    This might need to be changed.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yes
    I don't really see how adding agree/disagree turns this place into reddit

or why that part of reddit is all that objectionable

I dislike the disagree button for the same reason I dislike things like "change your Facebook picture to this pink ribbon to raise breast cancer awareness!". It is the illusion of doing something while actually doing nothing at all.

This forum is already pretty circlejerky, as anyone with conservative leanings from Debate and Discourse can tell you. Now while it's okay to disagree with the points someone makes, if you're going to disagree with them publicly you have to actually stick your neck out and put effort into saying that, which they can then in turn respond to. In the long run this makes people have to explain and enforce their opinions. However if you can just click a button that says you disagree and then ignore them, that requirement to justify what you are doing vanishes. It shames opinions that aren't those of the majority, and as much as the majority might like to think they're super-smart and know what's best they don't necessarily do so. Also it discourages actively attempting to explain to someone why what they're saying is wrong if it is.

I have no problems with the agree button. A button for stuff like "this was a funny joke! not Awesome Forum funny, but i liked it!" is great.

Yeah I can agree with this. Whats the point of talking at all when you've just got a button to say it, but without any actual content?

I like everything else. Badges are neat, the leaderboard is a silly thing that's kinda fun but that no one is going to take seriously, but I'm really not into agree/disagree at all.

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Yes
    BRT never stop.

Never stop.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    No

This is a big one. If someone wants to disagree, then they can make a post and open a dialogue with you, in which they can explain why they think your post is wrong and you can address their opinion.

Instead this is like facebook like buttons. Easily clicked with no meaning, turning into pointless whoring.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    When I clicked on the Forum Battle thread, it said something like 3 new posts. Then I clicked on page 1 of the thread, and next time I looked at it, it decided I'd only read page 1 and said there were 300+ new posts, counting all the pages I'd already read days ago as new.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    No
    Huge irony, I got a badge for changing my avatar just now

"Photogenic
    Little things like uploading a profile picture make the community a better place. Thanks!"

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    No
    if this kills liming for truth, I'm all for it

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    No
    Druhim wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    I don't even want to think about how this all fucked up the mobile site

Actually, it doesn't seem to have changed much. At least on my android.

the mobile site is pretty stripped down

like, really stripped down

This is a very good and necessary thing.

I have nothing but praise for the mobile site

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yes
    Big Red Tie is pretty much demonstrating why the Agree / Disagree function is a bad idea. Stop spamming your face on every post you goose.

• Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    No
    Oh, god, I just considered...

D&/orD with all this agree/disagree stuff? That place is going to become even more freakishly masturbatory.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    No
    SabreMau wrote: »
    When I clicked on the Forum Battle thread, it said something like 3 new posts. Then I clicked on page 1 of the thread, and next time I looked at it, it decided I'd only read page 1 and said there were 300+ new posts, counting all the pages I'd already read days ago as new.

This isn't a change. The old system did this too.

• Options
    Yes
    Melding wrote: »
    Yeah guys postcounts have been around since we switched over to vanilla. They just weren't in an obvious place. Badges are the same deal. We're not going to get elitism issues.

Stars under names?

Ah, missed those. Regardless, I really don't think it's going to be an issue here. It wasn't ever really an issue even when we had postcounts. We'd laugh and talk about it when shoe hit 100k but cliques in SE have never been based around who posted the most.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    No
    Ramius wrote: »
    hey remember that time we had to hide post count cause it turns out we can't be trusted to not be elitist?

yeah, now we have like three things that does that.

You'd maybe be surprised how many people do not remember that. We are not the same forum we once were, and the internet as a whole has a different landscape as well.

Internet.

Internet never changes.

Your internet appears to be so 2000 and late.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    No
    This poll is not at all nuanced enough to be useful.

I for one really like many of the changes, but thoroughly despise the public agree/disagree, user levels, and overall ranks. That is not a good thing to introduce to a forum, and it has literally already started what is the forum equivalent of TF2 achievement servers.

I guess I don't mind achieves, but anything that manifests outside of a user's profile page is too much.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    No
    rocket ship to the red tide

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    No
    The title length needs to be fixed.

Persons can fill the title line with a bunch of stars and screw up some people's displays.

Also, post point systems on gaming forums tend to result in problems.

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    No
    huh, i guess you can delete comment threads you create on the activity page

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    No
    This feels like a big joke... do you think they're going to retain it come morning?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    No
    Henroid wrote: »
    Big Red Tie is pretty much demonstrating why the Agree / Disagree function is a bad idea. Stop spamming your face on every post you goose.

but he's so photogenic

:rotate:

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Yes
    Mars wrote: »
    Oh, god, I just considered...

D&/orD with all this agree/disagree stuff? That place is going to become even more freakishly masturbatory.

D&D people love to read their own posts though.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    No
    In the worst days of SE there were a few douchebags who held postcount as something that mattered, but everyone else was really facetious about it

• Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    No
    I just noticed that I'm getting doubled up buttons for spoilers. Both buttons are functional.

doublespoilerbuttons.jpg

midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    No
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    if lurkers start agreeing/disagreeing with posts it is going to be creepy as hell

i'm going to use it to reverse stalk people

• Options
    Yes

I can't even remember the last time someone limed something in SE

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Yes
    I logged in and got an Eight-Year badge award.

Considering the quality of people that I've met over those eight years, I'll say it's worth it.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    No
    I also don't like how you have to click on the names of people involved in a PM from the drop-down menu to jump to that PM even though the whole thing will highlight when you mouse over any part of it.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

I can't speak to how the feature will play out for the community at large, but personally, I already pass up a lot of posts with which I agree or disagree without acknowledgment to discuss very specific ideas in specific posts, and I suspect most folks think I post enough already.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    No
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Huge irony, I got a badge for changing my avatar just now

jeez I thought I was a whiner

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Yes
    As someone with 3 stars I am obviously more superior than those with less than 3 stars.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    No
    I don't mind the whole AGREE/DISAGREE thing and polls being back are nice but man it is way too busy and less user-friendly than before. At least when it comes to simply navigating the forums. The drop-down menu for notifications is much better.

Basically, some bits are nice but they would be much nicer in a less annoying visual design.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yes
    End wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

but he's so photogenic

:rotate:

That's a badge by the way.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    No

Admittedly I don't read the PAX forum, but I haven't seen anyone lime something and not get slapped down for it in awhile.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    No
    In the worst days of SE there were a few douchebags who held postcount as something that mattered, but everyone else was really facetious about it

Yeah. My guess is that these features will be removed in the same way that postcounts were removed back in the day.

• Options
    No
    I do like that people can't vote anonymously on polls. And polls themselves are good.

Everything else bad.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yes
    I like some of the new features, not necessarily all of the visual tweaks. But I voted yes.