Options

[BlazBlue III: Chronophantasma] Thread. Extend For PS4/XB1/PS3/Vita This Summer.

vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XXRegistered User regular
edited March 2015 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the BlazBlue: Chronophantasma thread.

t2u3yse.png

In here we talk about fighting mans with the highest quality 2d art in the genre, while listening to the sweet sounds of Daisuke Ishiwatari, and enjoying the only fighting game in existence with a good story mode when we're not beating the crap out of each other online.

Chronowhat?

Chronophantasma is the third of four planned games in the BlazBlue fighting game series. It continues the storyline and provides sweeping mechanical changes like Continuum Shift did before it.

Continuum Shift II was a free patch and Extend was a paid patch and story expansion. Neither of them were sequels. BlazBlue sequels have a different subtitle.

What's different in Chronophantasma?

First off, we have seven new characters, one of which is DLC. Amane Nishiki, Bullet, Azrael, Izayoi, Kagura Mutsuki, Yūki Terumi, & Kokonoe all join the fray as playable. And Nu-13 returns, replacing Lambda-11 of CS. For those counting, that's 5 brand new characters and two alternate forms of characters. Additionally, all existing characters got changed up a lot with new and changed moves (Noel, for one example, now has shotgun moves. Taokaka, for another, now has an aerial super.) and every last character sprite has been redrawn.

Gravity is much higher and Hitstun is shorter, making combos shorter overall.

Guard Primers are competently gone. Each character has a Crush Trigger move (A+B) that costs 25% heat and does massive damage to their opponents barrier guard.

Offensive Burst is gone completely and has been replaced with a new mechanic called Overdrive. Overdrive temporally sends your character into their Unlimited form for 5-15 seconds depending on how much health they have left.

All existing songs have been completely remixed to a version II, with MOAR ROCK and MOAR METAL!. Every song is heavier. Some added in lyrics from the lyrical LA Concert versions. And there's plenty of new character, group, and versus themes.

Lastly, you can now preview colors/outfits in character select now.

What about the story

Chronophantasma sadly no longer has individual character stories, followed by a true end and sidestories, that the previous BlazBlue games had. It instead focuses on three distinct storylines with greater focus, which has a strength to it, but we lose out on playing as any of the villain characters inside story mode itself this time.

There's Six Heroes, Sector Seven, and Chronophantasma storylines, totaling an excessive amount of hours of visual novel mixed with fighting goodness. Remember that this is the climax of the franchise: mark your spoilers and be prepared to be amazed.

As an additional note, Arcade Mode is heavily story related this time around, and lets you play some events that Story Mode references or play through events from a different (villainous/etc) perspective. The final arcade fight differs per character and every character has their own Arcade Ending.

So I heard something about a free patch?

The first balance patch his out.

It tones down Kokonoe from fucking overpowered god status and buffs the underpowered Izayou and Amane, among lots of other changes to every character. Here's the entire patch notes if you want to take a look.

Is there going to be a Vita version?

Yes. It releases April 24th in Japan and this Summer in North America.

It includes a new "beach (episode)" storyline and swimsuit outfits for a chunk of its cast. It also features recap storylines for both Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift, as well as the (re)introduction of gag routes/gag endings.

No 360 version?

Nope.

It's a 2d "anime" Japanese fighter where the entire international fanbase is playing on Playstation. Ark Sysyem Works must have simply decided a 360 release wasn't worth it anymore.

(Something) (Something) (Something) Guilty Gear Xrd?

Fighting game thread is - - - -> way.

In all seriousness, a lot of us enjoy ASW's other fighting game series, but many in its fanbase just come into Blazblue threads to shit on it for not being Guilty Gear. So create your own threads, please. Then when ASW finally creates GGvsBB down the line we can have make-up sex.

----

Have a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9zx0PHZ20w

And a console version Opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEEPTb04Ui8

And remember, Get Hype (Dog)!

pmwW7.gif

---

Extend version with Celica Ayatsuki Mercury & Lambda-11 coming out for PS4, PS3, XB1, and Vita this Summer in English.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
// Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
vagrant_winds on

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Can't wait for this to come out.

I skipped out on Extend because it didn't add much but really excited for this.

Also, I seriously doubt that they've removed both Lambda and Mu from the game. That being said there still is Saya who might end up being DLC and who knows how she plays.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    If I wasn't hyped already, Hype Dog has done the job.
    Love how the new characters and everything else looks. Surprised that we've already seen three new characters who have never been shown before. Here I was expected to get Jubei and Saya and noone else new.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Sad that there aren't any "New Old Characters" (Jubei, Kokonoe, etc), but yeah I'm real excited for this!
    Astral Heat turns other characters into children.

Confirmed: Blazblue is officially the new Darkstalkers

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I skipped out on Extend because it didn't add much but really excited for this.

Yeah, if you weren't big on the Story and were only in it for the fighting all Extend gave was Relius (who is awesome) and a third rebalancing for Continuum Shift.
    It did have 6 new story modes (Relius, Makoto, Valkenhayn, Platinum, Military Academy [Noel, Tsubaki, & Makoto backstory] & Sector Seven [Tagger's Origins, Kokonoe and Relius backstory, & Kokonoe being badass]) that really fleshed things out though.

---

Also. Odds are GG:AC+R is being held up by Microsoft (just like every single other XBLA+PSN[+Steam game]) due to their XBLA Cockblock that is 'Only X releases at a time when we say they release' and 'can't release on XBLA if you release anywhere else first' rules that screw developers over.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Another thing someone noticed is that now it seems everyone's Special bar is segmented into 4 part.

So...Ex attacks not exclusive to Jin anymore?

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    HYPE GOT

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    And here I've barely touched Continuum Shift Extend other than a few characters' story modes; I just haven't been in that kind of fighting game mood for a while. Smart money would be to probably wait until the inevitable second/third revision to really pick it up considering ArcSys's track record on that. Still, good to see the series actually moving forward now.

Plus, smexy Noel is smexy. <3

EDIT: Posted for GREAT JUSTICE AND BURNING SPIRIT!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFNCD22jkJk

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    $60 Clamity Trigger

$40 Continuum Shift
    --> Free CSII Update (~optional $24 if you got all three DLC characters, could fight them without owning them)
    --> $40 Extend update (included all previous dlc on disc)

The big question is if BBIII will be $60 or $40. I'm guessing $40 + Character DLC.

• Options
    $60 Clamity Trigger

$40 Continuum Shift
    --> Free CSII Update (~optional $24 if you got all three DLC characters, could fight them without owning them)

The big question is if BBIII will be $60 or $40. I'm guessing $40 + Character DLC.
    I should hope Aksys (if and when they get around to it) would leave some pricing wiggle room for the updates and roster expansions. I really don't want yet another Super SF4 Arcade/Ultimate MvC 3-style meltdown response from people.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    $60 Clamity Trigger

$40 Continuum Shift

I should hope Aksys (if and when they get around to it) would leave some pricing wiggle room for the updates and roster expansions. I really don't want yet another Super SF4 Arcade/Ultimate MvC 3-style meltdown response from people.
    For $60, Daisuke better find a drummer. Moar 80's metal, less j-pop plz.

Also, turning people into kids reminds me more of Alessei.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I want the new crests, including those that signify the games themselves...

I got these: http://blazblue.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Emblems/Crests

But there is like one crest for each new installment and I want those too. They are very cool.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    OMG...with the addition of what is it, Amane...Jin is no longer the most FABULOUS character in the game.

;_; No...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    I want the new crests, including those that signify the games themselves...

I got these: http://blazblue.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Emblems/Crests

But there is like one crest for each new installment and I want those too. They are very cool.

You know, I never noticed that Hazama's crest incorporates an actual Ouroboros.

Of course no crest will ever be more obviously associated to the character than Taokaka's.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    OMG...with the addition of what is it, Amane...Jin is no longer the most FABULOUS character in the game.

;_; No...
    NIIIIIIIIIII-SAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN~

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll find some new way to make him even more screwed up than he already is.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Hmm I skipped out on the second game, but I would like to get caught up before this arrives. But that is a lot of money to get "caught up"

I loved the first one but after so much online fighting the issue of not having any close friends to play (and lately not having any friends to play ANYTHING with without going online) meant it faded away. Plus my wife got sick of me screaming at the game in frusteration. But such was the playstyle of Ragna :D

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Hmm I skipped out on the second game, but I would like to get caught up before this arrives. But that is a lot of money to get "caught up"

I loved the first one but after so much online fighting the issue of not having any close friends to play (and lately not having any friends to play ANYTHING with without going online) meant it faded away. Plus my wife got sick of me screaming at the game in frusteration. But such was the playstyle of Ragna :D

Not to mention the character of Ragna.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Skipping, like, everything up to whatever BB CS Extend 2 or whatever we're currently on is a pretty good move actually. It has an excellent recap.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I am actually really glad I stopped buying BB games after CS now. This one sounds more like a complete overhaul than just another sequel and sounds like a solid re-entry point.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well. It is pretty much.

As far as true sequels go there have only been CT - CS and now CP.

Extend was pretty much just a balance change with a new character and a few new modes tagged on.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    http://blazblue.jp/images/lt/bbcp_pdf.zip
    Blue Boxes: Revised Moves
    Pink Boxes: New Moves

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Jin has a 22C move now too...interesting.

• Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    ANIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm a little reluctant after the millions of revisions but some little part of me can't help but get excited. Just a little.

• Options
    Edited the OP with the new Overdrive mechanic information.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    yo bullet is gonna be MY FUCKIN' GIRL

• Options
    Rachel: Erufreed(?) (increases speed of slypheed gauge recovery)

I'm guessing that takes her back to CT wind recovery speeds.

• Options
    Can't watch the video due to work computer so do they show the new characters and are any of them going to be suitable replacements for Lambda and friends? Lambda was my main. :-|

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    the murakumo units are gone, as far as i can tell

no lambda, no nu, no mu, nothin'

azrael and bullet don't look like zoning characters, and neither does amane, so you might be SOL on that front

• Options
    edited August 2012
    So this explains why guard primers are gone now and everyone's guage is 4-segmented like Jin's
    - Crush trigger: during certain moves, press A+B to crush your opponents guard. Won't work on barrier guard though, and costs 25% heat

Also on Overdrive
    about overdrive:

- it increases your native strength. It fills up over time, then when its full you can activate it.
    - at low health it lasts longer, and will freeze time when used
    - each chara has their own overdrive

So basically, Overdrive is like a Blood Kain(basically a powered up/serious time mode) for every character. That also explains why Ragna can do Devoured by Darkness outside of Blood Kain in the trailer since Blood Kain is now his overdrive.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Is it just me, or does Tager's overdrive sound REALLY, REALLY painful?

• Options
    the murakumo units are gone, as far as i can tell

no lambda, no nu, no mu, nothin'

azrael and bullet don't look like zoning characters, and neither does amane, so you might be SOL on that front

I didn't like anyone else in the cast so I guess I just saved myself a nice stack of cash. Oh well, back to waiting patiently for Microsoft to decide that Arcsys has sufficiently begged and groveled enough to let GGAC onto XBL.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    anyone heard anything about how all the new characters' systems work?

amane has a "Spiral Meter" or something, azrael's drive has to do with "weak points" and bullet has a "heat up" state? i want details!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does Tager's overdrive sound REALLY, REALLY painful?

The tears will be fucking delicious

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    no mu...

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    no mu...

(yet)

this is arcsys, dogg, you think there won't be dlc?

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I have to get this when it comes out. I was too late on the last one and could never find any fights online. Hopefully there's some people to train me/with as I'm not very comfortable with all of the systems the game has going on.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    BB is quite simple once you get used to it.

That being said I would say that you should pick one character in stick to them usually. Drive makes the characters play so differently that its usually hard to play more than 1 person competently.

I mean you can still sub Tager since he's auto-pilot though. That's what everyone else does.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Claw was my main in SF4 so I think I had difficulty making the transition to the BB characters. Plus all the variations with the characters was a bit overwhelming. I should pick it back up and start practicing so I'm ready for this.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    i really hope makoto's theme is a sick remix of Alexandrite

that song is so rad

• Options
    Yeah...BB doesn't really have that many if any charge-equivalent characters so I can't think of anyone who would play like him.

• Options
    no mu...

(yet)

this is arcsys, dogg, you think there won't be dlc?

I'd be kind of pissed if Mu and Lambda/Nu were dlc (paid, anyways), just because they aren't new - and because they were fun to use.