Options

[WoW] Panda Thread of Mystery

1457910101

Posts

  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno, GW2 had some solid water combat outside of frequent bugs with mobs leashing at random.

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    This is just rogue shop talk, but it looks like slow weapons will be viable to have in the offhand as combat. For the most part this means nothing, except for transmog purposes, but I thought it was really cool as I'm not a fan of many dagger models out there

  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Pointless Lore Talk and Speculation regarding Vashj'ir and such:
    In regards to Vashj'ir originally supposing to have been under the Maelstrom, I went back to Wowpedia and read what was supposed to be under there and saw that most of the locations had a Vashj'ir equivalent.

    Note that most of the original location names come from one of the Warcraft RPG sourcebooks which Blizzard declared non-canon a few months ago, however at the same time they said that they also said that a great deal of the information in those books came from Blizzard themselves so don't be surprised if it does turn up in the games.

    For the locations (assuming they are scaled down some):

    *The Boiling Terrace = the Scalding Chasm
    *Drowned Reaches = Kelp'thar Forest (lacks tons of undead sailors but still serves as a ship graveyard)
    *Gishan Cavern= Caves are everywhere, though Nespirah could also have worked since you originally don't know it's alive
    *Nazjatar = Ruins of Vashj'ir
    *Pillar Deep = Shimmering Grotto (stone pillars are mostly here, but they're not giant tube worms)
    *The Rift = Abyssal Breach (again, assuming this is under the Maelstrom)
    *Scintal Reef = I'm thinking the Abandoned Reef (it's in the proper location, is only populated by crabs, and is completely unused in the game). The lobster-men city of Mak'aru was supposed to be in this area, so you could either say it never got developed due to Vashj'ir being moved (much like the rest of the Abandoned Reef) or they copied Nespirah to make L'Ghorek and dropped that onto Mak'aru's location when they decided to change things.

    Also I was reminded that an Old God (presumably N'Zoth) was supposed to be under the Maelstrom, yet there is a ton of Old God activity in the Abyssal Depths around the Breach.

    It seems to me that it really is possible Blizzard originally planned to do the Azshara undersea expansion and Deathwing stuff at the same time (with N'Zoth being the thread to tie them together) but the 1-60 revamp made it all too much to do at once and they had to scale things back (eventually realizing the Underwater stuff had been scaled back so far that they couldn't do justice to Nazjatar and all that, so they moved it's location and called it something else so they could still potentially use it in the future). As a result Azshara and N'Zoth are practically no-shows in the final product (leaving Malfurion a bit detached despite the fanfair of his return, as he was stuck fighting Ragnaros instead of villains more suited to him--especially considering the novel detailing his return hints towards N'Zoth being behind Xavius and the Emerald Nightmare, and partially existing in the Emerald Dream equivalent of the Maelstrom).

    That would actually make a bit of sense regarding all the Thrall love if in the early planning it was going to be set up so that Thrall was rallying both factions against Deathwing using the Earthen Ring while Malfurion was rallying both factions against Azshara using the Cenarion Circle (players obviously doing both raids, but the story has the Alliance and Horde creating more tension as the Night Elves push the Alliance into believing Azshara is the bigger threat due to their history while the Horde has more firsthand experience with dragons and Deathwing to consider him the bigger threat). And then the final rush to destroy the tentacle monster that is N'Zoth within the Maelstrom as both factions realize he is the real threat behind whoever they considered the bigger threat and the opposing faction had gotten in their way in trying to deal with it.

    Then Azshara and N'Zoth get cut and Deathwing gets promoted to big tentacle monster in the Maelstrom.

  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Pointless Lore Talk and Speculation regarding Vashj'ir and such:
    In regards to Vashj'ir originally supposing to have been under the Maelstrom, I went back to Wowpedia and read what was supposed to be under there and saw that most of the locations had a Vashj'ir equivalent.

    Note that most of the original location names come from one of the Warcraft RPG sourcebooks which Blizzard declared non-canon a few months ago, however at the same time they said that they also said that a great deal of the information in those books came from Blizzard themselves so don't be surprised if it does turn up in the games.

    For the locations (assuming they are scaled down some):

    *The Boiling Terrace = the Scalding Chasm
    *Drowned Reaches = Kelp'thar Forest (lacks tons of undead sailors but still serves as a ship graveyard)
    *Gishan Cavern= Caves are everywhere, though Nespirah could also have worked since you originally don't know it's alive
    *Nazjatar = Ruins of Vashj'ir
    *Pillar Deep = Shimmering Grotto (stone pillars are mostly here, but they're not giant tube worms)
    *The Rift = Abyssal Breach (again, assuming this is under the Maelstrom)
    *Scintal Reef = I'm thinking the Abandoned Reef (it's in the proper location, is only populated by crabs, and is completely unused in the game). The lobster-men city of Mak'aru was supposed to be in this area, so you could either say it never got developed due to Vashj'ir being moved (much like the rest of the Abandoned Reef) or they copied Nespirah to make L'Ghorek and dropped that onto Mak'aru's location when they decided to change things.

    Also I was reminded that an Old God (presumably N'Zoth) was supposed to be under the Maelstrom, yet there is a ton of Old God activity in the Abyssal Depths around the Breach.

    It seems to me that it really is possible Blizzard originally planned to do the Azshara undersea expansion and Deathwing stuff at the same time (with N'Zoth being the thread to tie them together) but the 1-60 revamp made it all too much to do at once and they had to scale things back (eventually realizing the Underwater stuff had been scaled back so far that they couldn't do justice to Nazjatar and all that, so they moved it's location and called it something else so they could still potentially use it in the future). As a result Azshara and N'Zoth are practically no-shows in the final product (leaving Malfurion a bit detached despite the fanfair of his return, as he was stuck fighting Ragnaros instead of villains more suited to him--especially considering the novel detailing his return hints towards N'Zoth being behind Xavius and the Emerald Nightmare, and partially existing in the Emerald Dream equivalent of the Maelstrom).

    That would actually make a bit of sense regarding all the Thrall love if in the early planning it was going to be set up so that Thrall was rallying both factions against Deathwing using the Earthen Ring while Malfurion was rallying both factions against Azshara using the Cenarion Circle (players obviously doing both raids, but the story has the Alliance and Horde creating more tension as the Night Elves push the Alliance into believing Azshara is the bigger threat due to their history while the Horde has more firsthand experience with dragons and Deathwing to consider him the bigger threat). And then the final rush to destroy the tentacle monster that is N'Zoth within the Maelstrom as both factions realize he is the real threat behind whoever they considered the bigger threat and the opposing faction had gotten in their way in trying to deal with it.

    Then Azshara and N'Zoth get cut and Deathwing gets promoted to big tentacle monster in the Maelstrom.


    Man if we only got content like that again.

  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    An area with loads of drowned sailors and related quests would have been pretty cool, kinda like when you talk to the ghosts of the expedition to Northrend from WC3 in Dragonblight.

  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    Oh, sweet merciful crap.

    After kicking my 5 year long WoW addiction, I have been WoW free for well over a year. I haven't even thought of playing WoW since, didn't care about the expansion or what's changed, and have never missed it at all. It was like WoW never existed, and I was perfectly fine with that.

    Well, today, completely out of the blue and for absolutely no reason at all, I started looking up info on the state of the game, what's changed, the expansion, etc., and I became totally excited and began to really, really want to play WoW. I decided to renew my subscriptions for my 3(!) accounts so I could check my 10 guild banks, see if my account of 10 85s were still in their raiding guild, see how much gold I had, see if the half-assed third account still had the 10 halfheartedly neglected characters with full BoAs and absurd enchants/gems/etc. were still alive, and so forth.

    I go to the Battlenet site, drooling with an almost palpable lust to get the download started to reinstall WoW, credit card in hand, and it's down for maintenence.

    And just like it began, all the desire to jump back into WoW dissolved immediately.

    Either I'm completely unaware that I've been taking drugs or Blizzard has some sort of subliminal marketing going on. It's the craziest thing.



    I think I may be crazy.

  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Would it be wrong to say that it looks like it's back up?

  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I get "This service is not available" when I try and log in to the website.

    And then after getting to the "Authenticator" section, I get this:
    YLSft.png

    I guess it's safe to say I won't be renewing my account right now... lol.

    Patcher says it's 4.3.4 for Live - is this accurate?

    HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You think we'd get more than three content patches in an expansion?

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    If WOW can ever reach its target of an expansion every 18 months, figuring 6 months per patch, there we are.

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there going to be a new fishing pole in MoP? Like a Kalu'ak quality pole (only better).

    The reason I ask is that I'm in the process of changing mains. My old main has pretty much everything from the Wrath era, all the reps, rewards, everything. My new character is missing all those reps. I've been raising his fishing, and I'm wondering if I need to grind out my Kalu'ak rep, or if I should just wait and get something better in MOP.

    There sure is.

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Zython wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there going to be a new fishing pole in MoP? Like a Kalu'ak quality pole (only better).

    The reason I ask is that I'm in the process of changing mains. My old main has pretty much everything from the Wrath era, all the reps, rewards, everything. My new character is missing all those reps. I've been raising his fishing, and I'm wondering if I need to grind out my Kalu'ak rep, or if I should just wait and get something better in MOP.

    There sure is.

    Comparing it with the Kalu'ak pole indicates that it has the same boost to the fishing skill, but lacks the water-breathing component.

    EDIT: It's also 500g....the walrus pole is what, around 130?

    Nobody on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    It also requires 525 fishing to use. The kalu'ak one only requires 300.

    Kinda silly.

    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Yeah, but that one only requires revered. Plus, it's a fucking dragon.

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You think we'd get more than three content patches in an expansion?

    I just figured by now there would be something else but I guess it's been pretty quiet since DW eh?

    Oh well, guess I can camp out for Time Lost until Pandas show up.

    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=45991

    I just use this one. Looks 'right' on a DK.

  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It looks great in my warlock's hands as well
    WoWScrnShot_061309_080129.jpg

    WoWScrnShot_061309_075807.jpg


    And I forgot about this pick but Whoo my brother sadly put his bear up because he got a lot of harassment over it
    WoWScrnShot_111809_084033.jpg

  • Options
    Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    Wrath was good times. I know a lot of people saw it as the death of BC-style raiding, and it absolutely was, but Wrath was good times.

    After clearing out the first tier of raids in Cata, I too walked away, although it had a lot more to do with my wife than anything else. I may be back for Pandas, but we'll see.

  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Wrath was what got me back into the game after BC just didn't entice me. I hadn't even hit max level in Vanilla, so Wrath was the first I saw of raiding, and I quite liked it. Cata felt far too brutal at first in terms of going through the endgame content went, which was part of what discouraged me, though LFR and Heroic nerfs helped fix that.

  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2012
    Remember when 4.1 hit and was just two recycled troll instances? We were all "What the hell?" and Blizzard said "Don't worry, friends, the patches will be smaller but more frequent!"

    And we got the exact same number of content patches as Wrath.

    Blizzard is special.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    And we got the exact same number of content patches as Wrath.

    Except we didn't even get a Ruby Sanctum. I'd have loved a one-boss diversion raid.

  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I never did Ruby Sanctum a lot of people said it was hard or awful or both

  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    I loved everything through Wrath, though I had the most fun in Wrath because I was more involved with my guild at that point than I'd ever been before.

    I remember how psyched we all were for Cataclysm, god it just looked so awesome.

    And then it was released. Now I would gladly pay any amount of money to have every memory of it scrubbed from my cerebral cortex.

    But since that's not possible, I'm going to continue pretending that pile of syphillitic hobo excrement of an expansion never happened. Yep, Worgen and Goblins were introduced at the end of Wrath, wasn't that great? Yeah, it sure was.

  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    ruby sanctum's trash took a fair amount of time and care, which I think is where some of the hate came from

    I didn't care much for the boss either.

    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Ruby Sanctum wasn't all that impressive TBH.

    It was 4 bosses, but only one of them dropped loot (and you had to kill the other 3 before you could kill that one).

    There were some amusing mechanics though, assuming that they were working right (like the invisible twilight cutters).

  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    The trash was fine if you used CC. The mechanics of the fight were basically a preview of the tier 11 mechanics, and as such were a lot more punishing than ICC, but it was indeed a well-designed fight.

  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I wasn't psyched for cataclysm! In fact, I had strongly considered quitting before it came out!

    I ended up transferring instead which probably helped.

    Cataclysm did do quite a bit of good for leveling though.

    Edit: also I thought firelands was a pretty good raid

    End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    End wrote: »
    Cataclysm The end of Wrath did do quite a bit of good for leveling though.

    Edit: also I thought firelands was a pretty good raid
    Fire...lands? Hm, never heard of it. Sounds interesting.

    Wrath was great though. Remember Wrath? (inhales deeply) Aaaaaahhh. Wrath.

    Halfmex on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I think I'd be perfectly happy if we never, ever got another troll instance.

  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I liked Cata, but the content added was lacking.

    4.1: Two instances that were recycled from Vanilla content
    4.2: A raid with seven bosses, and a giant fuck-off daily grind. Lots of recycled enemy assets.
    4.3: Three shorter instances, and a raid. The raid took place in a location from the previous expansion and used tons of recycled assets for bosses.

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I think I'd be perfectly happy if we never, ever got another troll instance.

    Given that the Zandalari are going to figure into the storyline with the Mogu, and that there's already a datamined area for the Zandalari which isn't apparently "in" yet, I'd be ready for disappointment.

  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    a giant fuck-off daily grind.
    This is the one thing giving me pause about MoP. So many daily quests and events. I want to believe it won't feel like a grind but past experience leads me to believe otherwise. After Netherwing, Sunwell Isle, Argent Tournament, Baradin...whatever it is in the expansion that shall not be named, I just don't have it in me to do dailies anymore, and it seems like that makes up the vast majority of things to do in MoP post-level cap. Hopefully the scenarios and dungeons are fun enough to avoid them.

  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    It seems like the dailies are less essential this time around. I really hope it turns out this way.

  • Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    Dailies less essential?

    Isn't MoP basically supposed to be "You need good faction standing with all these reputations in order to get starting stuff". Yet they got rid of the tabard-leveling system. Which means dailies are the only thing you are going to be doing to get those reps up.

    I mean I could be wrong but uhhh, yeah, maybe they will give dungeon rep to specific factions like they had in TBC

  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm actually kind of relieved that dailies will give valor. A lot of times I just want to play for a few minutes and feel like I've accomplished something, and points is a good way to do that.

  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I thought Cata was a blast. Firelands was pretty meh but the Rag fight was great. The ony/nef fight was great fun too. I also got to ride on a big black dragon's back and poke him in the spine. I also got to travel through Thrall's psyche and watched my dear Mr. Runetotem get crispified. Also dragons. And and old ogre nemesis with eye herpes.

  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I think I'd be perfectly happy if we never, ever got another troll instance.

    Given that the Zandalari are going to figure into the storyline with the Mogu, and that there's already a datamined area for the Zandalari which isn't apparently "in" yet, I'd be ready for disappointment.

    The island is actually already there, you just can't get to it yet. It's way past the fatigue zone, mist clouds your vision when you start getting close, and then you hit an invisible wall and die due to the fatigue.

    But yeah, trolls are pretty involved in the story. Not to mention the leftover Cata loose ends about Zul and Hakkar.

    In terms of being datamined, something I found interesting was when someone datamined...
    Kul Tiras as a zone name added to the game with MoP. No assets as far as I know, just a zone name.

    Of course, it could be entirely meaningless like when Blizzard updated the inaccessible Emerald Dream zones during Wrath (it was the Emerald Dream zones, wasn't it? I remember they definitely did some updates to one of those inaccessible zones that still exist in the code, but it might not have been that one, regardless it was something that still never ended up in the game anyways).

  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Keysier wrote: »
    Dailies less essential?

    Isn't MoP basically supposed to be "You need good faction standing with all these reputations in order to get starting stuff". Yet they got rid of the tabard-leveling system. Which means dailies are the only thing you are going to be doing to get those reps up.

    I mean I could be wrong but uhhh, yeah, maybe they will give dungeon rep to specific factions like they had in TBC

    Dailies giving valor is good, but getting rid of the tabard system is so fucking dumb

  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Keysier wrote: »
    Dailies less essential?

    Isn't MoP basically supposed to be "You need good faction standing with all these reputations in order to get starting stuff". Yet they got rid of the tabard-leveling system. Which means dailies are the only thing you are going to be doing to get those reps up.

    I mean I could be wrong but uhhh, yeah, maybe they will give dungeon rep to specific factions like they had in TBC

    Dailies giving valor is good, but getting rid of the tabard system is so fucking dumb

    Not if you're Blizzard and you're sick of hearing people complain about storage space for all their tabards. :P

  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Indeed, especially when you consider that you can't actually do anything with the valor (as I understand it) until you have the required rep for those faction vendors.

This discussion has been closed.