As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Panda Thread of Mystery

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Oh

So if they rolled in TBC, and Wrath isn't included, the Battle Chest is now just the base game and nothing else?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have no idea what makes it a "battle chest" if it only includes 'one' game.

I mean, I think they did the same thing with Diablo and removed Diablo from the Battle Chest and it is just D2 and the xpack now.

I have no fucking clue.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    They call it a Battle Chest because Vanilla WoW cost $20 and the Vanilla/TBC combo costs $20 now.

I think they'll roll WOTLK into the Battle Chest after MoP releases.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    75% sale is now in the US too.

And in case anyone was still wondering, there will be no JP/HP cap between Aug 28th and Sept 25th (you can't earn VP/CP at all), after that the 4k caps on both will be reinstated and you'll convert down to the caps (if you're over) at a rate of:
    On September 25, excess Honor over the cap will be converted at a rate of 35 silver per point, and excess Justice over the cap will be converted at a rate of 47 silver per point.

So for some odd reason JP will be worth more than HP so...ok.

Anyway, there you go; the more you know.

I think the cap on CP will also be 3k like VP, in MoP.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I like when they convert to money, used to be more though. I just chained heroics last time and didn't have to worry about gold for months. I suppose I could just learn to play the AH or stop being lazy ingame and farm more.

• Options
    That's 4 2/4 Siege queues in a row.

I only need the first fucking boss arggggggggggggggggg

• Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    wowscrnshot082112223329.jpg

hell yes finally dropped
    think I was at over 50 kills
    I think Leyara's Locket brings me luck, always when I use it shit I want drops :D

oh and a question about conversion rates, how will VP->JP go? 1:1?

• Options
    Yep, 1:1 for vp > jp and cp > hp

• Options

And in case anyone was still wondering, there will be no JP/HP cap between Aug 28th and Sept 25th (you can't earn VP/CP at all), after that the 4k caps on both will be reinstated and you'll convert down to the caps (if you're over) at a rate of:
    On September 25, excess Honor over the cap will be converted at a rate of 35 silver per point, and excess Justice over the cap will be converted at a rate of 47 silver per point.

I would believe them if someone said that based on queues and average length of BGs and such, honor was normally gained at a faster rate than JP, so if true, the difference in the point:money ratio would make sense.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So basically, before the JP cap is reinstated, convert all honor to JP if you'll be over the cap. Got it.

• Options
    Well...its not a 1:1 trade from JP > HP or vice versa, is it? I thought it was like 350 > 275 or something like that. So it'd work out roughly the same, right?

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    EU is getting a sale on WoW:
    Prepare for Pandaria with epic savings! This week only, you can get the World of Warcraft Battle Chest for €5 (£4 GBP), Wrath of the Lich King for €5 (£4 GBP), and Cataclysm for €10 (£8 GBP) when you buy directly from Blizzard. That’s up to 75% off the regular prices, making this a great time to set yourself up for the imminent launch of Mists of Pandaria... or to invite a friend to join you in Azeroth.

Hurry, this offer ends August 27, 2012.

No word on the US; but it's a cheap way to get into the game atm, at least for European players.

They had pretty much the same sale last month in the US.

You could get WoW+BC, Lich King, and Cataclysm for $10 apiece, totalling $30 for a fully upgraded pre-Pandaria account.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Javen wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised the Battle Chest as it stands doesn't include Wrath

More monies. They can get away with charging more for wrath and Cata separately than if they packaged wrath with the battlechest.

Perhaps once the 2014 expansion rolls around, the battle chest will include Wrath, because otherwise you'll have to buy The battle chest, Lich King, Cataclysm AND Pandaria just to be eligible for whatever's next. And that's pretty silly.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular

The currency conversion coming with Mists of Pandaria is going to happen in three stages, and this is how we plan for it to progress:

With Patch 5.0.4 on August 28
    Valor points will be converted to Justice points, and Conquest points will be converted to Honor points.
    Neither of the resultant currencies (Justice and Honor) will have an enforced hard-cap at this time.

The current Arena season will end.
    Players will no longer be able to earn Valor or Conquest points (bosses will drop Justice, Arenas will be closed).
    Items formerly purchasable for Valor/Conquest will be available for Justice/Honor.

With Mists of Pandaria on September 25
    Valor can be earned again.
    Characters can earn up to 1000 Valor per week, and carry a maximum of 3000 Valor.
    Daily quests, random Scenarios, random Heroic dungeons, and all levels of raiding will reward Valor.
    Valor will be used to purchase ilvl 489 gear in Mists of Pandaria.
    The Klaxxi, Golden Lotus, Shado-Pan, and August Celestials factions will sell this gear.
    Revered reputation with each faction will be required.

Conquest will become earnable.
    There is a cap of 4000 Conquest points.
    Arenas and Rated Battlegrounds reward Conquest.
    It will be used to purchase ilvl 483 gear from Pandaren battlemasters on the Great Wall.

• Options
    Anyone know if you still need to complete Vashj'ir before the Throne of the Four Tides quests become available?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Yes you sadly do. Same with HoO.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    HoO?
    I remember there was a Night elf down there in the well but how does one get the quests for the throne now?

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I want to come back...

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    And what do you need to come back as I have all the wonders of the world in the rther dark and foreboding alleyway

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    you have to finish the quest chain for TotT, which ends with the captain running into the instance. then when you zone in, he's always there, but if you did the quest chain, he'll have a quest for you.

Same with bran. He has a quest chain and will tell you to meet him at the top after you kill raj.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I finished up Vash this past weekend and I never knew about quests in TotT. Which got me thinking, if I leveled up an 80 and went to Vash first and did all 130 quests up to the end and then finding the instance to TotT, would I be a bit over leveled for it? Like wouldn't it be better if I go to the next zone when I hit the appropriate level for it?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    You would be as my rogue and blood elf priest ended up being from 80 to 83 from doing Vash but then they were rested for a large chunk of it

I really don't know what I was thinking. My goal of getting two priests to 85 the end of cata so I deceided not to get burned out by starting them in different zones my draenei in hyjal my blood elf in vash
    Guess which one flew threw that zone and onto a new one while the other was still slugging it out

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Do alliance not get the seahorse till late or something?

• Options
    They get it from the same quest as the horde?

• Options
    I just never saw the same problem I guess with Vasj as others seem to have. I have been through there with my last 3 85s I leveled up because of the Seahorse and the fact one of those 85s was a druid. The quests are done the same as other zones and the Seahorse is faster than normal flying which most of my 85s have.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    With account-wide mounts, I wonder if your alts can now use the Seahorse before they ever complete the quest?

Same thing with Death Knights before they actually steal their horse (though I'm not sure if they actually have Riding training before that quest, so that may not work).

• Options
    Deathknights yes I was riding around on the felstead on my night elf rogue, My brother was upset that he could not ride the blood elf charger. So I wonder if I make a Tauren paladin would I also get access to thier mount as a horde member?

I don't know about the seahorse though

No it was the fact the middle part of Vash was a real drag on my blood elf priest. I have done hjyal a lot so it was a real smooth sail with my draenei

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Vashjir isn't really a bad zone, I just have two problems with it:

1. I always try to gear alts through the Molten front, which requires going maybe 1/2 the way through Hyjal to get it to appear (which means extra work if you go through Vashj'ir).
    2. The storyline for Vashj'ir is very anti-climactic.

• Options
    Well with account wide mounts if you happen to have a turtle mount you are good to go for Vasj right from the get go too.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Vashj'ir involves a lot more running back and forth to locations than I felt like Hyjal did. And the dungeon not opening up until the very end always felt kinda weird to me.

I assume MoP won't have the "locked until you find it" thing they did with Cata dungeons at first?

• Options
    Eh people who say Hyjal has alot less running back and forth must have skipped the Harpy quest line and the end line.

• Options
    Hyjal is less running, even with those, because you're going to have at least the basic flyer and you can skip things. Most people going through have epic flyers, then it's even easier. I feel like Vashj'ir would've been a lot better with less mob density, or reduced agro distance. Being underwater made it a little difficult to tell exactly where everything was, and since everything could swim everywhere, you could be overwhelmed rather quickly if you weren't paying attention.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a new fishing pole in MoP? Like a Kalu'ak quality pole (only better).

The reason I ask is that I'm in the process of changing mains. My old main has pretty much everything from the Wrath era, all the reps, rewards, everything. My new character is missing all those reps. I've been raising his fishing, and I'm wondering if I need to grind out my Kalu'ak rep, or if I should just wait and get something better in MoP.

There's not a super fishing pole in Cataclysm that I don't know about, is there?

• Options
    I will disagree with most having epic flying but I still think it is about even. Only 2/10 of my 85s have epic flying right now because I dont want to spend the gold. Eh to each his own I never had a problem with mob density and you get to fly at epic speeds there too essentially.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Vashj'ir involves a lot more running back and forth to locations than I felt like Hyjal did. And the dungeon not opening up until the very end always felt kinda weird to me.

I assume MoP won't have the "locked until you find it" thing they did with Cata dungeons at first?

It wasn't there during the times I played on the beta.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I never really had a problem with Vash'jir either, though it's a shame that due to how it was received the idea of an underwater expansion is unlikely now.

Sure, we'll probably still fight Queen Azshara at some point, but there are a bunch of zones underwater around the Maelstrom that we probably won't be visiting now.

Of course, when Blizzard decided to move the Deepholm entrance from a crater north of Stormwind to the Maelstrom (which makes little sense considering the remains of the Well of Eternity are supposed to be at the core of the Maelstrom and if they were going to use it as a portal for anything it should have been a portal to Argus or something Legion-related) that probably killed a good bit of it too. Especially considering that they made the Maelstrom too small.

Though I do wonder if originally (when the Deepholm entrance was still the crater) if Vash'jir was supposed to be at the Maelstrom (with the entrance to the Abyssal Maw being the base of the whirlpool) and the Naga city was actually supposed to be Nazjatar and such. It could explain why the zone was split into three sub-zones and all the early rumors about Azshara's involvement in the expansion. It would also provide a parallel to the War of the Ancients raid (now dungeon, but originally planned to be a raid) as it would be the "present day" equivalent of that area along with fighting against Queen Azshara in both time periods. Of course, the whirlpool still would have been too small and it would still be strange that it lead to an elemental plane instead of a demonic world, but it would make a little more sense.

• Options
    Swimming is different though, if I swim right above something it can still get me and knock me off the seahorse. Flying just inches above something though, they'll never even notice. If I want to avoid something I have to swim way out of the way usually.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The orientation of the camera is pretty unsuited for moving around on a third axis. Vashjir isn't the first or last time that this has been apparent, it's just the place that the most players spent the most time (also, one of the first times actual third axis control has been 'required' of lots of players.)

I wouldn't mind an underwater zone/expansion as long as it didn't involve much actual swimming; just have us run around on the ocean floor and give everybody a seahorse to use as their 'flying' mount.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    The orientation of the camera is pretty unsuited for moving around on a third axis. Vashjir isn't the first or last time that this has been apparent, it's just the place that the most players spent the most time (also, one of the first times actual third axis control has been 'required' of lots of players.)

I wouldn't mind an underwater zone/expansion as long as it didn't involve much actual swimming; just have us run around on the ocean floor and give everybody a seahorse to use as their 'flying' mount.

That's pretty much what Vash'jir is. It's an outdoor zone with "water" instead of "air"(and shittier visibility). The only difference is your feet don't have to be firmly planted on the ground.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it isn't, though

there are lots of areas that have multiple levels that you're meant to move between via swimming

not to mention the whole "mobs pathing in a 3D space rather than a 2D space" thing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.