As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Panda Thread of Mystery

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what you're expecting re: race models.

Last word on it was that the only race they might have done by MoP is dwarves, but that they were probably going to wait and get them all out at once. That was a long time ago...like...last blizzcon iirc.

I honestly wouldn't expect them till whatever comes after MoP. Or maybe some filler patch later in MoP when they need to push something out but don't have "real" content ready.

Personally, I dunno. Its not that I am against new models; they've done an excellent job with the new races in Cata and the Pandas, as far as animations, and level of detail...I just have this fear that they're going to make them weird in a way that just feels wrong. Not that it would be wrong necessarily; but when you've looked at particular characters for a billion years, even moderately subtle changes can feel jarring.

I'm expecting a progress update, as I said. I'm not expecting anything to be done by launch.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I have exactly one max level character and my next highest char is my 75 Enchanting alt that's only used for DEing stuff. I'm tempted to make another one on the Alliance side to get the upcoming "max level char on both sides" achievement but I'm not sure yet (if I did it'd be a DK though). I really need to buckle down and check out all of the achievement changes coming in MoP so I can see what else like that is being added.

Opty on
  • Options
    Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    The finite mana pool thing is a good idea and a bad one. One of the really fantastic things about the game's gearing sense was that your endurance would increase as you became more powerful, so the designers could therefore create tougher and longer encounters, until you get things like Lich King or Illidan who really pushed the limits of player sustained focus and concentration. I think that this set of raids (release) is going to be pretty tough despite player savvy being through the roof at this point because we'll all have to relearn tolerances allowed by the new healing model.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The finite mana pool thing is a good idea and a bad one. One of the really fantastic things about the game's gearing sense was that your endurance would increase as you became more powerful, so the designers could therefore create tougher and longer encounters, until you get things like Lich King or Illidan who really pushed the limits of player sustained focus and concentration. I think that this set of raids (release) is going to be pretty tough despite player savvy being through the roof at this point because we'll all have to relearn tolerances allowed by the new healing model.
    We've had this healing model for nearly two years now.

Are you from the past, yet somehow managed to speak with us future folk?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I have exactly one max level character and my next highest char is my 75 Enchanting alt that's only used for DEing stuff. I'm tempted to make another one on the Alliance side to get the upcoming "max level char on both sides" achievement but I'm not sure yet (if I did it'd be a DK though). I really need to buckle down and check out all of the achievement changes coming in MoP so I can see what else like that is being added.

Is that for sure an upcoming achievement? Is there a list of the known multi-faction achievements?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I've have three max level toons right now. My main has always been my rogue, but my other two 85s are a DK and a Priest.

Lately I've been doing the Tol Barad dailies on the DK and Priest in order to farm cloth and leather to buy all the max level Tailoring and LW patterns (holy hell, you need like 20,000 Savage Leathers to buy all the patterns!). I do my Priest first because it's a pain because I hate having to stop and drink (other two 85s are rogue and DK, and highest non-max character is a Warrior, so not big on Mana) and I basically have to pop cooldowns to survive if I pull two mobs at once and am going to die if I pull three.

Then I hop on my DK and I'm disappointed when I can only pull three mobs at a time. Though my DK is slightly better geared (but not by much).

Speaking of DKs, I realized a much easier way to get all the racial mounts I'm missing is to just create DKs on different servers and use them to buy the level 20 and 40 mounts of that race so I'll have them when it goes account wide. A little over a week to go, now.

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I've been trying to get the Frenzyheart/Scryers maxed out on another character, since the X Exalted achievements are also going account-wide. Man, I didn't remember how much of a timesink those were. Running Mechanar/Botanica heroic every day takes about 15 minutes, but it's going to take a few weeks to get enough stuff. The AH is bare, since a lot of other people are doing the same.

Frenzyheart is also something like 3 weeks of the same 3 dailies over and over, even with the +10% rep perk from the guild.

Samphis on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're expecting re: race models.

Last word on it was that the only race they might have done by MoP is dwarves, but that they were probably going to wait and get them all out at once. That was a long time ago...like...last blizzcon iirc.

I honestly wouldn't expect them till whatever comes after MoP. Or maybe some filler patch later in MoP when they need to push something out but don't have "real" content ready.

Personally, I dunno. Its not that I am against new models; they've done an excellent job with the new races in Cata and the Pandas, as far as animations, and level of detail...I just have this fear that they're going to make them weird in a way that just feels wrong. Not that it would be wrong necessarily; but when you've looked at particular characters for a billion years, even moderately subtle changes can feel jarring.

I'm expecting a progress update, as I said. I'm not expecting anything to be done by launch.

Chances are they've shelved any work on this while they're in crunch mode to get Mists ready for release.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Maybe; I imagine most major art/model work for MoP is done, crunch will be bug quasing and balancing.

The art team could very well be hard at work on these things. I didn't mean to sound like it wasn't gonna happen or anything, I think it's something that has to happen. But I just have a little fear in things feeling weird afterward with new models.

On the other hand, unlike some, I have found little about MoP, visually, that I don't just love to death so...my minor fear is probably unecessary.

EDIT: totally unrelated I'm currently in the worst LFR I've ever been in since it launched. It is fucking miserable and I'm about to just afk for the rest of madness because why the fuck should I bother when, if anything I can even roll on drops, the afk fuckers are winning it. And 4 wipes on ultra, and 3 on Warmaster. Rad.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have been in far worse Lfrs on my warrior
    WoWScrnShot_021412_004149.jpg
    And sigh I really wish I could win the sword on him but I lost it to someone who had equiped and was using a sword from BWL

Also I have a feeling they are going to do a bait and switch with quests but then I also hope there is no realm first BS

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I guess my luck with my current run is just to counterbalance the amount of gear I won on my warlock.

I'm hearing about 20% chance, ish? of getting loot from the new loot system; that could very well make it more likely that I could actually win something. I just wish they'd put out hard details on how it will work, like rough chances, what loot that the system will decide you can use to give you (they've said based on spec; but I'm enh, but ele boots are still "dps" which is what the system is keyd off now; will I win Ele gear when I want enh? Is it that 'smart'?)

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Yeah I wish I could win the robe and the cunning trinket but alas no
    I am kinf of curious who Monks share thier trinket with

Also instead of the bag of disapointment that comes in the mists lfr why not let us buy the lfr gear for valour. Because going week after week for a vain chance at the armour gets really old

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I guess my luck with my current run is just to counterbalance the amount of gear I won on my warlock.

I'm hearing about 20% chance, ish? of getting loot from the new loot system; that could very well make it more likely that I could actually win something. I just wish they'd put out hard details on how it will work, like rough chances, what loot that the system will decide you can use to give you (they've said based on spec; but I'm enh, but ele boots are still "dps" which is what the system is keyd off now; will I win Ele gear when I want enh? Is it that 'smart'?)

I want wait for the whining to shift from. "But people roll on everything!" to "You mean I have to gear up my specs individually now?!"

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I was in a LFR yesterday hoping to get my tier chest piece. Warrior in all blues won the roll three times for tokens. two chests and one helm. God. Damnit.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    All I have to say today is that the Goblin submarine in VashJ'ir is loads cooler than the Gnome one. And while Henry Gloval is the man, the Goblin captain 'Jewels' commanding the Verne is just funny.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The Goblins throughout Vash'jir are great. "Some people say it's wrong for me to use my Shaman powers for personal profit but not me! Ka-ching !"

• Options
    Yup, but VashJ'ir still remains my least favorite Cata zone.

I was hoping the Horde/Alliance quests were a little more different, but somehow I have the feeling that most of the quests will be the same across all the Cata zones, except Twilight Highlands I guess. Surely the Horde doesn't befriend the Wildhammer?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am kinf of curious who Monks share thier trinket with

If you meant their armor token, it's listed as Classes: Warrior, Hunter, Shaman, Monk.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    "Befriend" ? No, not exactly.

Good, I hope I can slaughter dozens after that stupid marriage quest chain.

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Will mounts like the panda digital CE be account wide?

Also with pets being account wide is that a retroactive thing?

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Will mounts like the panda digital CE be account wide?

Also with pets being account wide is that a retroactive thing?
    Yes and yes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Yup, but VashJ'ir still remains my least favorite Cata zone.

I was hoping the Horde/Alliance quests were a little more different, but somehow I have the feeling that most of the quests will be the same across all the Cata zones, except Twilight Highlands I guess. Surely the Horde doesn't befriend the Wildhammer?

Considering you actually get dailies to kill them, steal their food and blow up their beer I'm going to say...not likely.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I want wait for the whining to shift from. "But people roll on everything!" to "You mean I have to gear up my specs individually now?!"

I don't care that I have to gear up specs individually, I suppose; I mean tokens I can use for any spec so whatever; and the odds of winning loot for off specs already is pretty astronomically low.

What bugs me, and I feel like it's a legitimate complaint due to how much focus they put on Transmog, is that for some class/specs you simply can't get matching gear without being an exact spec.

For example. If I want the boots/belt/bracer that match the rest of the pally set, based on what we know about LFR loot atm, I have to go into LFR as holy. There is no other way to get them because the loot you're awarded is based on spec, not class. So if I go in as tank/dps I simply cannot get matching boots ever. So I have to play a spec I have no desire to play at all, simply to get a few pieces of loot to match my gear. Otherwise I will never see the boots/belts/bracers for pally. Same with enh shaman, dps/tank druid, etc. Pretty much any class that will have 3 distinct specs (pally, druid, monk) will see this the worst. There will always be situations where, like a DK for example, tank boots are always skinned to match warrior gear. So if they want to play tank, they won't get the boots that match their set without going dps. However, since they effectively only have two roles for their specs, its not as big of a deal, since they can always just switch. With the tri-classes, you're always down one spec, so I've been ret/tank on my pally since god created the earth. I have never played holy and I don't really have any desire to. But I'll have to drop one of my two specs I know and enjoy and not only learn to heal, but also gear to heal, simply to get some gear that matches the rest of the gear I can get.

Some might feel that such a concern is trivial since it's only appearance, but I'd argue that everything is just appearance in the end game, in regards to the prestige of loot. And the put a lot of effort into a system that revolves solely around how you look, and allowing you to look like what you want.

• Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I just got main and now alt Warrior to 85 and with my mage. Now to see if I can get my lvl 70 Paladin to 85 before launch. I am excited reading more about this expansion has to offer. I also making in this expansion to not play hard but smart, as in learn more mechanics.

Also for those who ordered via Amazon, how long did it take from launch to receiving the game? Debating of doing online and saving on sales tax or go to my local best buy.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    DemanKnghtDemanKnght Registered User regular
    Amazon for the most part delivers on launch day. I have never had issues with them. UPS on the other hand can be problem matic. But if you order now it will be there on launch day, barring if you have issues with UPS delivering.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I don't care that I have to gear up specs individually, I suppose; I mean tokens I can use for any spec so whatever; and the odds of winning loot for off specs already is pretty astronomically low.

What bugs me, and I feel like it's a legitimate complaint due to how much focus they put on Transmog, is that for some class/specs you simply can't get matching gear without being an exact spec.

For example. If I want the boots/belt/bracer that match the rest of the pally set, based on what we know about LFR loot atm, I have to go into LFR as holy. There is no other way to get them because the loot you're awarded is based on spec, not class. So if I go in as tank/dps I simply cannot get matching boots ever. So I have to play a spec I have no desire to play at all, simply to get a few pieces of loot to match my gear. Otherwise I will never see the boots/belts/bracers for pally. Same with enh shaman, dps/tank druid, etc. Pretty much any class that will have 3 distinct specs (pally, druid, monk) will see this the worst. There will always be situations where, like a DK for example, tank boots are always skinned to match warrior gear. So if they want to play tank, they won't get the boots that match their set without going dps. However, since they effectively only have two roles for their specs, its not as big of a deal, since they can always just switch. With the tri-classes, you're always down one spec, so I've been ret/tank on my pally since god created the earth. I have never played holy and I don't really have any desire to. But I'll have to drop one of my two specs I know and enjoy and not only learn to heal, but also gear to heal, simply to get some gear that matches the rest of the gear I can get.

Some might feel that such a concern is trivial since it's only appearance, but I'd argue that everything is just appearance in the end game, in regards to the prestige of loot. And the put a lot of effort into a system that revolves solely around how you look, and allowing you to look like what you want.

Understood. There are going to be little instances of this all of the place because, at least to what has been released, it is a very cut and dry system. Having loot shared in a raid was never meant to happen with PuGs. And so making a system pug oriented was bound to have some issues. Instead of fixing the problem in a nice a neat way they decided to go with the "If you cant equip it with what you queued as you cant get it" way which did not need to happen. It will work great for the first part of a tier but as the tier ages it will actually cause individuals MORE time to get the pieces they want as they will have to gear up that set individually.

I just think people went a little overboard with the "MFer healer/tank/dps took MY loot!" stance. As if the loot belonged to them just for queuing as a certain spec. I have lost the STA trinket from HoT Heroics about 4 times now to DPS or Healers. And I still just keep trying every now and then. I dont really need it anymore as we are almost full heroic clear in 1 night now.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Whelp, I know what's going on my Christmas list.
    http://www.megabloks.com/shop/construction-toys/world-of-warcraft/

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I don't believe there is an official PA EU WoW guild active right now, but does anyone in the EU have a socially active guild they are a part of?

Been a while since I've played but I'd like to get back online for a couple of nights a week and re-level a new character to see if much has changed and have something ready to play MoP content with. Always good to have dudes online to chat to, and if certain classes are needed I'm more than willing to play whatever.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    "Befriend" ? No, not exactly.

Good, I hope I can slaughter dozens after that stupid marriage quest chain.

What? The wedding was the best thing ever.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

You know they're completely gutting the healing model "we've had for the past two years," right? Now all healers get 100k and that's it. Int doesn't increase max mana anymore.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    Oh man, I walked by these at target yesterday. I have a 3.5 month old son and I said, " Welp, I know what Jr.s getting for xmas."

Wife said, "yeah right. That crap's for you."

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

I'm scratching my head to find out why Blizzard didn't strike a deal with LEGO. Because holy hell those look like ass.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Please disregard if this is against the rules (I checked the mmo forum and OP) but would someone with an active WoW sub be willing to send me a scroll of resurrection? Please PM me if you could do so.

Edit: got one now. Thanks!

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

You know they're completely gutting the healing model "we've had for the past two years," right? Now all healers get 100k and that's it. Int doesn't increase max mana anymore.
    That doesn't change the model, just the fact that intellect was too good since it was also a killer regen stat in addition to making you heal better. The model is still the same, you just...get spirit now. Blow me down!

The model is still the same: mana is a finite resource for healers, and you have to exchange more mana for speed or increased healing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Oh man, the link-to in this spam fake e-mail for a "free trial of mists of pandaria" is classic.

I'll try to make it so it doesn't link:

us.betle.net.login.pandaman-beta.wow-accunt.managemenit.com

That is fucking epic on so many levels.

• Options
    Some info on the upcoming currency conversion:
    The currency conversion coming with Mists of Pandaria is going to happen in three stages, and this is how we plan for it to progress:

With Patch 5.0.4 on August 28

Valor points will be converted to Justice points, and Conquest points will be converted to Honor points.
    Neither of the resultant currencies (Justice and Honor) will have an enforced hard-cap at this time.
    The current Arena season will end.
    Players will no longer be able to earn Valor or Conquest points (bosses will drop Justice, Arenas will be closed).
    Items formerly purchasable for Valor/Conquest will be available for Justice/Honor.

With Mists of Pandaria on September 25

Valor can be earned again.
    Characters can earn up to 1000 Valor per week, and carry a maximum of 3000 Valor.
    Daily quests, random Scenarios, random Heroic dungeons, and all levels of raiding will reward Valor.
    Valor will be used to purchase ilvl 489 gear in Mists of Pandaria.
    The Klaxxi, Golden Lotus, Shado-Pan, and August Celestials factions will sell this gear.
    Revered reputation with each faction will be required.

Conquest will become earnable.
    There is a cap of 4000 Conquest points.
    Arenas and Rated Battlegrounds reward Conquest.
    It will be used to purchase ilvl 483 gear from Pandaren battlemasters on the Great Wall.

With Mists of Pandaria, Patch 5.1

We currently plan to upgrade the Valor system as Ghostcrawler described in Mists of Pandaria Looting Explained in the 5.1 patch, allowing you to upgrade your gear using Valor points. We’ll have additional information once Mists of Pandaria launches and we get closer to the 5.1 patch release.

Do you have questions or comments about currencies in World of Warcraft? Please let us know in this discussion thread.

So...no word on any sort of conversion from JP > ? or HP > ? with MoP; are they really gonna let us keep it?

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    They let us keep it from Wrath to Cata. I ended up getting two tank pieces with justice right at the start, and two PVP pieces.

• Options
    that's super exciting for me, so now I can just farm the shit out of JP and buy all the VP stuff I didn't get from my break from wow.

• Options
    Yeah, after I posted I recalled how on several of my characters they were capped going from 80-85 and I'd have to buy random crap to not go over from doing dungeons on the way there since you couldn't buy 85 gear till 85.

This discussion has been closed.