As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

what's in a name?

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Apparently my forum handle suits me well enough that everybody at AusPAX just used it instead of my normal name.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I used to guard my identity rather well online.
    One of my first internet handles was Erin (or Erynne, Eryn, etc).
    Then here, somebody came up with calling me Susie, and I didn't correct them.
    My name is neither Erin nor Susie. But people just assumed that if you had a "real" name as an internet handle, it was your RL name.

I want to say it was Boddah who first called you susie, but maybe I misremember.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I used to guard my identity rather well online.
    One of my first internet handles was Erin (or Erynne, Eryn, etc).
    Then here, somebody came up with calling me Susie, and I didn't correct them.
    My name is neither Erin nor Susie. But people just assumed that if you had a "real" name as an internet handle, it was your RL name.

I want to say it was Boddah who first called you susie, but maybe I misremember.

It was a little b

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Apparently my forum handle suits me well enough that everybody at AusPAX just used it instead of my normal name.

I remember when I met you I just called you Gatsby. Although that may have been because I spaced and forgot your actual name for a few hours.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    My name is a German word (meaning "brute" but it's dated, kinda like "ruffian"), I used it originally for a Diablo 2 character and then it became my online handle for everything.

When I chose it, I didn't realize, that here the common abbreviation would be "Grobi". I'm now called this even by some real life friends. "Grobi" is what Grover (from Sesame Street) is called in the German version. That turned out just great...

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Before this I had almost exclusively used the handle "Braun". It's my middle name.

So, when I first registered here that's what I picked. And then I lost the email address it went with and forgot the password. A year or two passed and then I reregistered with this one because Braun was taken....by me.

Why this name? I had just gotten done watching Spaced Invaders. Simple as that.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    no one say my name out loud thanks

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    ah shut up

• Options
    i'm sorry what???

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    one day i will use the word crwth in scrabble

someone will challenge me and i'll go nope, it's a welsh instrument

then everyone will think i'm really clever

broken image link
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    no one say my name out loud thanks

too late i just did 8 times

• Options
    beetlecrwth

beetlecrwth

BEETLECRWTH!!!

• Options
    i'm sorry what???

seems like a pretty unambiguous statement to me

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    tiyt-o, egyptian god of body gas and that mummification thing where they use a hook to pull the brains through the nose

• Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    i'm sorry what???

seems like a pretty unambiguous statement to me
    you fucker

heh

you absolute fucker i'm gettin reeeeaaaaal tireda your shit faq

you tell me to shut up??

i'll tell you to fuckin shut up you shit

you fuckin piece of ah fuck it's too early to be fake mad

also i'm goin to the beach in a bit i can't be mad

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    uuuhHHH mods??

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I went to high school in California. Some kid moved here from Florida in 10th grade and we must have become friends - I don't remember exactly how we met or what his name was.

He started calling me Spono because he said that I reminded him of someone from Florida that he had called Spono. It was around that time that I started playing some game online (dark age of camelot? counter strike? I may be getting my years mixed up) and used it as a handle.

Florida guy pronounced it "spawn-o", and so did I, but I never corrected anyone when I went to my first PAX and everyone just pronounced it "spow-no" (sounds like oh no).

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular

Yeah everyone just called me Sass all weekend at PaxEast.

Except when @lostwords thought they had lost me when I was standing two feet away from him. Then he was screaming my name throughout Boston.

(Yeah he was)

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    crwth take some beach pix

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    no one appreciates my name

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Squall wrote: »
    uuuhHHH mods??

don't you turn stoolie on me squall

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    im shit

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular

I remember when I met you I just called you Gatsby. Although that may have been because I spaced and forgot your actual name for a few hours.

It is a handy fall-back in case of such circumstances haha

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »

Except when @lostwords thought they had lost me when I was standing two feet away from him. Then he was screaming my name throughout Boston.

(Yeah he was)

I'm sorry, I really thought that poor stranger walking away as I yelled your name at her was you.

(I think all white people look alike)

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »

(Yeah he was)

I'm sorry, I really thought that poor stranger walking away as I yelled your name at her was you.

(I think all white people look alike)

Damn it Lost.

Now everyone knows I'm white.

• Options
    im shit

agreed+ same. furthermore,

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Oh my god, Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    im shit

agreed+ same. furthermore,

ditto. cheers fellas

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ya'll pieces of shit in my eyes folks don't sweat it

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    beetlecrwth

beetlecrwth

BEETLECRWTH!!!

BEETLECRWTH BEETLEREADY

EXTEND

THE MANDIBLE OF FRIENDSHIP

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    ya'll pieces of shit in my eyes folks don't sweat it

wear goggles

brass ones w/a bunch of shitty gears

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I am actually a sentient fire engine attempting to use this forum in conjunction with complex algorithms to learn how to love and achieve true sapience.

Beep beep

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    @FAQ I know your real name.

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    like, front and back?

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    yeah, i trip into conversations sometimes

it was supposed to sound more ominous, but, you know, text

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Will I get infracted if I agree with crwth's post?
    Only one way to find out...

Mayday on
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I picked Test Subject 23 because it was amusing and at the time (first year university) I felt a bit like a cosmic lab rat. I also needed a player name for Action Quake 2.
    I always hated number names but for some reason building one into my alias intentionally, as part of the concept, seemed OK at the time. I thought it "future proofed" things in case I ran into someone using the same name. Over the years, I have run into a few other Test Subjects out there, all of whom also seem to be using the number 23, so that didn't really work out well.
    Now... I'm not so fond of it, but I've been using it for so damn long that I'd have to change dozens of accounts if I switched. I'm very lazy.

I sometimes also go by Chaos Introvert, since it's both an anagram of my name and an apt description of my personality.

Back in high school, when I ran a BBS and dressed all in black, I called myself Death's Jester, which is now horribly embarrassing. Melodramatic teenagers should not be allowed to name things. I'm so glad I've never gotten any tattoos.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    It was handed down to me from my father. First time I played Diablo was on his character, Dronus.

I really liked the Diablo series as a kid/young adult.

I also went by Winger for a long time in other embarrassing places. Because I was like 8 and I couldn't think of a name and I saw a picture of an airplane.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I used to be MrFisticuffs

And now I am not

This has been internet name history, thank you for reading

• Options
    where my gaia online homies at

lfYVHTd.png