As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Food, Good Friends and.... actually, no, just [Food Thread]

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Fry some sliced onions with a little cooking oil, put the steaks on the onions with some garlic, cover pan for a while.

Tastes basically the same as marinating them in a bag with soy sauce and garlic overnight and frying them on a pan.

Very basic, but I don't have too many fancy things for cool meals.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    What kind of fish? You really can't go wrong with just closing it in a foil packet with butter/olive oil and salt/pepper. and throwing it on the grill or in the oven.

For stovetop cooking you want a wide spatula and you want to use medium-high heat. Throw it in and leave it alone for a couple minutes. Then turn and leave it alone again. Then remove and serve.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well first off, don't cook your damn steaks on onions because you're steaming them and they won't brown properly. Uck.

Ideally if you're going to cook on a stovetop, a well seasoned cast iron pan is going to work best because it'll retain heat much better when you add the steak, allowing you to get a much better sear on both sides.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, fish steaks. My apologies, I missed that. What kind of fish is going to be important.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    My dad only knows the Portuguese names of them, so best I figure it's Mackerel.

The way he taught me to cook is basically cooking non-meat parts in a little oil in a pan, take them out and brown meat on same pan, then add everything back together and cover for a little while. Veggies get boiled in a separate pot, rice in separate pot.

He is all about cooking things over onions on low heat.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    My dad only knows the Portuguese names of them, so best I figure it's Mackerel.

The way he taught me to cook is basically cooking non-meat parts in a little oil in a pan, take them out and brown meat on same pan, then add everything back together and cover for a little while. Veggies get boiled in a separate pot, rice in separate pot.

He is all about cooking things over onions on low heat.

bacalhau?

• Options
    I doubt he'd mistake salted cod for mackerel, but perhaps. Your father has an..odd approach to cooking. I'm rather at a loss though since I'm not clear on what the fish actually is.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I would suggest a little herb and citrus in some foil, closed tight, and tossed in the oven to cook in it's own juices.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    No no, that would come in thick slabs salted enough to kill somebody with. And only around holidays. This fish sounds like cavala.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »
    I would suggest a little herb and citrus in some foil, closed tight, and tossed in the oven to cook in it's own juices.

Yeah, that would work well for a very broad range of fish.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    You have to be careful about how long you bake fish though or you'll get this eggy white shit on it. It's kind of unappealing.

• Options
    You have to be careful about how long you bake fish though or you'll get this eggy white shit on it. It's kind of unappealing.

That's actually quite normal with many fish like salmon and is a good indicator that it's done or nearly done. It's perfectly fine to eat.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Okay, new build.

Ilya Marmoset:

3LL
    AC20+ 4xammo (28 shots )
    STD260
    12 heat sinks
    384 Armor
    Emma Stone

Runs pretty hot, but then who cares; you have an AC20 and three large lasers.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Okay, new build.

Ilya Marmoset:

3LL
    AC20+ 4xammo (28 shots )
    STD260
    12 heat sinks
    384 Armor
    Emma Stone

I dunno, I think you need some paprika in there...

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular

That's called fat and fat is FLAAAAAAAAVAAAAAAAAAAAA

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    I am making fish, too. It's winter flounder season here in Rhode Island, so I've got some local flounder rolled around a spinach/garlic/lemon/dill stuffing. Right now i'm roasting some redskin potatoes, when they're just about done i'll pop the flounder in and steam some broccoli.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Noisymunk wrote: »

Actually, it's protein. Specifically, albumin.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »
    Noisymunk wrote: »

Actually, it's protein. Specifically, albumin.

Dangit! I should've known that. I have failed my college professors.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    Okay, new build.

Ilya Marmoset:

3LL
    AC20+ 4xammo (28 shots )
    STD260
    12 heat sinks
    384 Armor
    Emma Stone

I dunno, I think you need some paprika in there...

Wrong kind of recipe :p I'll get my coat...

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Usagi wrote: »
    Favlaud wrote: »
    i didn't pack a lunch with me today and i have a few bucks to spare

http://brunchboxpdx.com/menu.php

what should i order

Burger with grilled cheese as buns

Mind. Blown.
    Gah, now I want a patty-melt since I can't go there.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Grillin some NY strips, some peppers and some portabellos tonight. Got stuff marinating right now. Extra side of sliced tomato with salt and pepper.

Oh and fried bread. Can't forget that.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Right, doing the foil thing. Groups of around five steaks in each foil bundle with some garlic, pepper and a little red vinegar. Had it in the oven at 300 degrees for 20 minutes and I could still clearly see raw flesh, so I'm keeping it in there for another 20 minutes.

I... don't use the oven often.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Yeah, 300 F is going to be fairly low and slow for fish. With that many steaks it'll probably take close to an hour.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I'm preparing fish tonight. I always have issues with cooking the steaks on a stovetop where they either all taste the same or get so soft handling them in any way rips the skin and flesh apart. What is general advice on keeping those things together?

What kind of state is the fish in? Is it whole? Filleted?

You could season it how you like, wrap it in alfoil (it's important that you only do it enough to keep the juice in) an then put it in the frying pan

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I made the ravioli today. Butternut squash & ricotta cheese. I have doubts about how it will taste, but I can't be home for it so I can only hope for it to be good.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The fish is emotionally and physically traumatized, Tef.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    The actual pasta looked pretty nice, though! I'm happy with how that turned out, at least.

• Options

After dealing with this type of fish falling apart on me I handled it state with the utmost care.

But yeah, they are steaks. Slabs cut through the spine into two-inch sections. Seems like two fish worth and around ten steaks total. Stuck them in separate bundles because my father can't have too much salt and I find this fish to be pretty bland.

What is the range of temperatures I should know about? Is there a reference somewhere I can look to as a general guide for heats/times?

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options

After dealing with this type of fish falling apart on me I handled it state with the utmost care.

But yeah, they are steaks. Slabs cut through the spine into two-inch sections. Seems like two fish worth and around ten steaks total. Stuck them in separate bundles because my father can't have too much salt and I find this fish to be pretty bland.

What is the range of temperatures I should know about? Is there a reference somewhere I can look to as a general guide for heats/times?

Without knowing what fish it is, experience will be your best guide. Generally, lean fish are much easier to overcook resulting in it being dry and overly firm. The fattier the fish is, the more forgiving it will tend to be with being overcooked a bit.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Also, a buddy took me to a rundown little sushi place yesterday.

Holy shit, it was amazing. Had snapper and some salmon/avo/wasabi/pickled something. So good. As was the miso.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Hello from sunny (???) Seattle

Y'all have a nice view of the cascades on the descent

poo
  • Options
    Welcome to the emerald city!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    They were playing Pearl Jam in the baggage claim area. I laughed.

poo
  • Options
    And I ate at paseo since it is near my friends place and it was pretty good and messy

poo
  • Options
    noice!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Apparently my ravioli turned out quite well, though not quite so flavorful (understandable since I didn't really add any spices - I was afraid of completely ruining any flavor that would have turned out). Still, it was still good and filling, so yay!

Next time totally adding a little bit of salt & pepper, I think.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    My father determined that 35 minutes was quite enough time to cook and pulled the fish out. It was a little undercooked but a lot firmer than any previous attempts at it. The garlic came out blue though, so I'm slightly confused.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Hmm..I'm guessing something in the fish reacted with the garlic or the vinegar and the garlic but that's just a stab in the dark since I don't know what the fish is.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Ok, reading up on this it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the fish, but that garlic will sometimes have enough chlorophyll in it when cooked that acids (in this case from vinegar) and/or heat will react and cause it to turn green or blue. I've never noticed this myself, but it's apparently pretty common when pickling garlic.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's more common with very fresh garlic, and is absolutely fine. I've always taken it as a good sign,

Also I doubt you've got mackerel there because its DEFINITELY not bland and the steaks sound too large in any case.

This discussion has been closed.