As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I have to wait 3 days and 23 hours so basically fuck all y'all.

By rights the game should come out at midnight local time, because that's when the game comes out but due to Steam only semi-recognising that Australia is a thing, I get fucked both ways. It used to be Australia wasn't recognised at all and you'd be buying American games at American prices (which was awesome) with American release dates. Now it has dedicated Australian prices (worse than American, but much better than retail at least) but apparently uses European release dates based on GMT, which is twelve hours behind.

Dear servants of the Newell, here is a picture of Europe:
    europe-map.gif

Please indicate where on this map you think Australia is. I know it looks sort of like the bottom bit of Sweeden (from the other side of a darkened room, if I take my glasses off and if I am extemely drunk) but I can assure you, they are in fact different places.

One silver lining is that daylight savings has apparently moved the release date 1 hour closer. Whoopdie fucking do. If I sound bitter its probably because I actually am bitter.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    In solidarity, I'm waiting for Amazon to ship it, despite being American.

I really want that patch. I don't know why.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I want the patch too, but since I don't care about any of the other feelies I figure I'll ebay it at some point, I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't give a shit about it.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    It's a patch!

What games come with patches?

It's a day one patch

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Boooo! Get off the stage!

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    What patch are we talking about?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    The day one patch.

For special edition.

• Options
    Sepah wrote: »
    The day one patch.

For special edition.

What does it do? :P

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The CE comes with a X-Com patch[to sew into clothing]

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Oh. I was thinking software patch.

Ha.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

Oh. I was thinking software patch.

Ha.

Day 1 patch.

Ba Dum Pish!

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular
    And the one Day 1 Patch I want is the one I can't get. ;-;

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

By rights the game should come out at midnight local time, because that's when the game comes out but due to Steam only semi-recognising that Australia is a thing, I get fucked both ways. It used to be Australia wasn't recognised at all and you'd be buying American games at American prices (which was awesome) with American release dates. Now it has dedicated Australian prices (worse than American, but much better than retail at least) but apparently uses European release dates based on GMT, which is twelve hours behind.

europe-map.gif

Please indicate where on this map you think Australia is. I know it looks sort of like the bottom bit of Sweeden (from the other side of a darkened room, if I take my glasses off and if I am extemely drunk) but I can assure you, they are in fact different places.

One silver lining is that daylight savings has apparently moved the release date 1 hour closer. Whoopdie fucking do. If I sound bitter its probably because I actually am bitter.

Hey guy, you're getting a PAX next year. It's a step.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

europe-map.gif

Dear servants of the Newell, here is a picture of our universe:
    universe.jpg

From this point of view the distance between america, europe and australia seems non-existent. Please change the difference in release dates accordingly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

europe-map.gif

Dear servants of the Newell, here is a picture of our universe:
    universe.jpg

From this point of view the distance between america, europe and australia seems non-existent. Please change the difference in release dates accordingly.

By that argument, we should let the damn Cydos get games at launch. I didn't fight in AWI to let some filthy Snakeman play XCOM before us!

• Options
    I hear console copies are floating around in the retail ether

• Options
    Jintor wrote: »
    I hear console copies are floating around in the retail ether

Um. 360 versions of this and Dishonored have already leaked.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    There will always be retail stores willing to break release dates. Not too surprising.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Ugh. If there are copies out, why is no one streaming or recording themselves plaaaay?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Ugh. If there are copies out, why is no one streaming or recording themselves plaaaay?

I'm pretty sure there are. If I wasn't at work I'd be investigating some links, let me tell you.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    That is a picture of the universe in the same sense that a close up of a single hair on my head is a portrait of me.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    InkSplat on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    From the RPS review:
    If you are inclined to feel that there is simply no good reason to not replicate all that made X-COM great, I am inclined to believe that you simply will not abide XCOM, with all its alterations, omissions and new explorations.

I am even more inclined to believe that you’d be denying yourself a perfectly good time and what is for me comfortably the most absorbing and thrilling strategy game I’ve played in years. (I do not use that silly word ‘thrilling’ lightly, but I’ll come back to that later.) I’ve been desperately worried about the game right up until the point that I played it. When I played it, I played it for some 50 hours and counting. I regret none of that time, I have missed showers, meals and Quality Time with girlfriend, cat and Dishonored in order to obtain it and I want to spend even more of it in XCOM instead of writing these damnable words.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    The RPS review is pretty good, but does alert me to one silly, silly thing: there's no force fire/ground fire in the game. That's kinda dumb, but not super major omg.

Edit: also the dopey inventory limits. Meh.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    9s across the board. GAF is updating its review thread

• Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    The RPS review is pretty good, but does alert me to one silly, silly thing: there's no force fire/ground fire in the game. That's kinda dumb, but not super major omg

Jake addressed this in one video. Basically, it took out a lot of the tactical edge from the game. That's also why grenades/rockets are limited. They can clear cover, but when you can clear any and all cover, things became silly.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The Giant Bomb quicklook is really entertaining.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-xcom-enemy-unknown/17-6653/

Ryan loads into a mission, and immediately things go south.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI8RYXgsqw0

Imbeded for easy watching.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    InkSplat wrote: »

Holy freeking shite...

so when are you buying it @TychoCelchuuu ? now? or NOW?

Here's a quote from Eurogamer to help:
    Buy XCOM, it's a belter. I know it's Big Game season, but this is so good I've chalked up 43 hours in four days and want more in the near future. XCOM absorbs you into a universe of Tonka toy soldiers and B-movie science-fiction, a rich and smartly streamlined strategy experience that's a hell of a credit to the design of the 1994 original. Re-imagining? Remake? Whatever it is, XCOM brings back and revitalises a classic.

Docken on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Which difficulty are they playing on? If they said it in the beginning I must have missed it.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to commit to playing Classic Ironman my first play through. Who's with me?

:^:

I fully expect to be curb stomped by mutons but normal sounds.... too easy. Ironman is required to keep my honest.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    In the quick look I noticed alien corpses just disappearing into thin air. I hate that. I want to see the aftermath of my victories.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Sounds like they really like it. If Jeff is reviewing, I predict four stars (since Jeff always wants all the guns and XCOM says no).

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to commit to playing Classic Ironman my first play through. Who's with me?

:^:

I fully expect to be curb stomped by mutons but normal sounds.... too easy. Ironman is required to keep my honest.

Classic, definitely. I probably need ironman for the same reasons. Better to be forced to learn from my mistakes, rather than sweeping them away.

Yeah, I'm in.

• Options
    HandfalconHandfalcon Registered User regular
    Does the VPN trick work to trick the time-space continuum? Being out of work and playing X Com sounds much preferable to my current predicament

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    I also pledge my services to Ironman classic. I already bought my note book, its sitting next to my PC ready to be filled with moments of heroic daring and brutal death. Win or loose there shall be records.

• Options
    I'm watching that Giant Bomb playthrough, I'm at the bit where
    he's searching for the final alien for a good few turns

and I am feeling seriously tense just watching.

I don't think I can wait until friday. May have to VPN...

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Y'all fools doing Classic Ironman? Pft. You're just not man enough to do Easy Ironman like I will.

When I complete it, I expect to be awarded all the awards.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    So I can buy a digital version and pay $70, or get the LE at retail for $8 more.
    Uh..

• Options
    OSHITTINGFUCK
    ONTHEROOF! THREE!

This discussion has been closed.