As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I have to wait 3 days and 23 hours so basically fuck all y'all.

By rights the game should come out at midnight local time, because that's when the game comes out but due to Steam only semi-recognising that Australia is a thing, I get fucked both ways. It used to be Australia wasn't recognised at all and you'd be buying American games at American prices (which was awesome) with American release dates. Now it has dedicated Australian prices (worse than American, but much better than retail at least) but apparently uses European release dates based on GMT, which is twelve hours behind.

Dear servants of the Newell, here is a picture of Europe:
    europe-map.gif

Please indicate where on this map you think Australia is. I know it looks sort of like the bottom bit of Sweeden (from the other side of a darkened room, if I take my glasses off and if I am extemely drunk) but I can assure you, they are in fact different places.

One silver lining is that daylight savings has apparently moved the release date 1 hour closer. Whoopdie fucking do. If I sound bitter its probably because I actually am bitter.

That image comes up as a blue question mark for me.

I therefore declare Australia to be entirely fictitious.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    they're just skinnies

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm actually shocked that two games are coming out on the same day and both are getting rave reviews. I'll get Dishonored later, soon it is time for Xcom.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Anyone remember that stupid shooter they tried to sell to us as the next greatest thing since XCOM UFO Defense?

Yeah, I'm so glad a real XCOM came out and stole what little show that sorry POS had to offer.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Anyone remember that stupid shooter they tried to sell to us as the next greatest thing since XCOM UFO Defense?

Yeah, I'm so glad a real XCOM came out and stole what little show that sorry POS had to offer.

But focus testing CLEARLY shows that you can make an fps out of anything, color it brown and it will sell!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    How long until the US unlock? I.e. midnight in which timezone?

I may be unable to resist VPNnage.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »

Midnight Eastern.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    midnight tonight. I can get a bit in before bed.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Even though the detail doesn't match the best AAA games, I gotta say the art direction for the armor and weapons is really growing on me. It's got that cartoony, almost-Starcraft vibe.

• Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Y'all fools doing Classic Ironman? Pft. You're just not man enough to do Easy Ironman like I will.

When I complete it, I expect to be awarded all the awards.

Well it is tempting to breeze through an easy campaign to unlock the Second Wave, but I think I'll appreciate the new options even more if I have to work for them.

Plus Fire Emblem is an amazing series, so I'm looking forward to some really high-stakes tactical action. After all, I'm fighting for the fate of the whole damn world.

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »

I shall be doing the same, although I wont have time until Tue after work.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I'm impressed at how its almost universal that people confuse this game with the attempted FPS remake. It must have made a hell of an impression

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I have decided that my first run will be a Normal Ironman game using the list of names that I wrote myself, containing friends, family, and fictional characters. I will be doing this for minor training purposes and to unlock Second Wave.

My second game will be using a Classic Ironman game with the following options enabled:
    Damage Roulette Weapons have a much wider range of damage.
    Red Fog Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier's stats for that mission.
    Hidden Potential Rookies will have random starting stats.
    Results Driven As a soldier is promoted, their stats will increase randomly.
    New Economy A country will offer less funding as its panic increases.
    High Stakes The rewards granted for stopping alien abductions are randomized.
    Absolutely Critical A flanking shot will guarantee a critical hit.
    More Than Human The psionic gift is extremely rare.
    The Greater Good The secret of psionics can only be learned by interrogating a psionic alien.
    This game will be using the PA name list. I plan to keep PA informed of the ongoing war efforts via a Monthly Report written as a Commander's Log. I've already begun work on my initial log, since I know what happens in the training mission. I am much more looking forward to Game 2 than Game 1.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I have decided that my first run will be a Normal Ironman game using the list of names that I wrote myself, containing friends, family, and fictional characters. I will be doing this for minor training purposes and to unlock Second Wave.

My second game will be using a Classic Ironman game with the following options enabled:
    Red Fog Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier's stats for that mission.
    The Greater Good The secret of psionics can only be learned by interrogating a psionic alien.
    This game will be using the PA name list. I plan to keep PA informed of the ongoing war efforts via a Monthly Report written as a Commander's Log. I've already begun work on my initial log, since I know what happens in the training mission. I am much more looking forward to Game 2 than Game 1.

...Those are real options?

Oh man, I think I might start with some of those on.

Now the question is: do I start Classic, Ironman, or both?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've always liked the look of Extremis Ironman.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So, if I wanted to play on xbox, what are my options for midnight release? Think walmart will have it? I worry it wont be out on shelves and shit since its not a big game.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Dishonored comes out tonight as well, so I expect some Gamestops will be doing a midnight open where you could pick up either game. Call ahead, though.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

After you beat the game once, you unlock the "Second Wave" options. There are more options than I listed here, those are just the ones that I have decided that I will use. There's what we think is the full list three or four pages back in the thread.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

After you beat the game once, you unlock the "Second Wave" options. There are more options than I listed here, those are just the ones that I have decided that I will use. There's what we think is the full list three or four pages back in the thread.

Ah, found it. Veeeery interesting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Good morning. Let's look at the numbers.

chart_1.png

128 recruits. AMERICAN continues to remain top dog, with 26. ENGLISH, GERMAN, SCOTTISH, and IRISH are firm tier two with between 10 and 13 recruits each. AUSTRALIAN, NORWEGIAN, CHINESE, RUSSIAN, DUTCH, ISRAELI, and ITALIAN are tier 3, with between 4 and 7 recruits. INDIAN is still bringing up the rear, with finnith being our only recruit from Bharata.

Haven't added your name yet? You still have ~13 hours to do so.

The resulting DefaultNameList.ini will be available from my Dropbox, as well as posted here in plain text.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I kinda like the way they did the second wave stuff. I mean that stuff is super old style Xcom but having them in from the get go would have made the game very inaccessible to new people, where as original Xcom fans are very likely to replay the game multiple times to completion.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Woo Go team Mexico. Ready to fight, aliens vs aliens.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    That's weird. I don't see Japan on there at all.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

chart_1.png

128 recruits. AMERICAN continues to remain top dog, with 26. ENGLISH, GERMAN, SCOTTISH, and IRISH are firm tier two with between 10 and 13 recruits each. AUSTRALIAN, NORWEGIAN, CHINESE, RUSSIAN, DUTCH, ISRAELI, and ITALIAN are tier 3, with between 4 and 7 recruits. INDIAN is still bringing up the rear, with finnith being our only recruit from Bharata.

The resulting DefaultNameList.ini will be available from my Dropbox, as well as posted here in plain text.

@jdarksun, you rock for doing this.

Also, please switch me from Scottish (second generation Scottish American on my Dad's side) to Indian (no genetic connection whatsoever but my XBox avatar looks vaguely Indian.) Just want to diversify the name pool and increase my chances of taking the field against the filthy xenos. :)

Also, send out codes already, Amazon!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I'm impressed at how its almost universal that people confuse this game with the attempted FPS remake. It must have made a hell of an impression

I still maintain that the FPS would have been better as a The Outer Limits game. Not the new version, the original, where every episode was secretly about cold-war paranoia.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Only 13 hours until I die terrible, ignominious deaths alongside you gentlemen across the globe!

• Options
    That's weird. I don't see Japan on there at all.
    JAPANESE is in the bottom tier with BELGIAN, FRENCH, AFRICAN, ARABIAN, GREEK, MEXICAN, SOUTH KOREAN, SPANISH, and INDIAN. All those only have 2 or 3 recruits.
    Iolo wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

chart_1.png

@jdarksun, you rock for doing this.

Also, please switch me from Scottish (second generation Scottish American on my Dad's side) to Indian (no genetic connection whatsoever but my XBox avatar looks vaguely Indian.) Just want to diversify the name pool and increase my chances of taking the field against the filthy xenos. :)
    Done! It's no problem, I enjoy doing this sort of thing.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

I still maintain that the FPS would have been better as a The Outer Limits game. Not the new version, the original, where every episode was secretly about cold-war paranoia.

I'd play that game. The level where it turns out man is the real monster (y'know, most of them) would be the best level.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I'd play that game. The level where it turns out man is the real monster (y'know, most of them) would be the best level.

At the end you discover you were drugged and let loose on a town as part of a Gov't experiment testing weaponized hallucinogens. All the "aliens" you killed were innocent humans.

I'd play it.

Actually, I think that was an episode.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    hrmmm, kind of wish i wasn't at work right now, because all i can do is refresh the thread and wait. I don't think too much work will get done today.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I'm so very glad I AM at work. If I was at home I would be going out of my mind. At least I have work to distract me, somewhat.

I'm still hitting F5 a lot though :rotate:

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    What is it with the danged gaming industry releasing so many great titles on top of each other ? I haven't even progressed any of my GW2 toons past Level 35 nor have I slain Handsome Jack. Stupid October.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »

At the end you discover you were drugged and let loose on a town as part of a Gov't experiment testing weaponized hallucinogens. All the "aliens" you killed were innocent humans.

I'd play it.

Actually, I think that was an episode.

Probably. And there were a couple where the "heroes" discover at the end that the alien menace they so bravely slew was in fact an ordinary man modified by the government to give everybody something to fear.

• Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So starting at 10pm EST, 7pm Pacific, I will begin my sure to be ill fated Impossible Ironman playthrough. I will be streaming so you can watch yourselves die in all the brutal glory.
    I lied. There will be no glory. I'm going to fail miserably and Earth will burn.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I'm at work where they block gaming websites and desperately want to read the kotaku review. Anyone feel like PMing it to me?

sent

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    What is it with the danged gaming industry releasing so many great titles on top of each other ? I haven't even progressed any of my GW2 toons past Level 35 nor have I slain Handsome Jack. Stupid October.
    I'm struggling to finish BL2 by midnight, and I had to wait on Dishonored. Which makes me sad. But there will be time for it later.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    What? No Canadian option for recruits?

Maple Leaf, motherfuckers!

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So starting at 10pm EST, 7pm Pacific, I will begin my sure to be ill fated Impossible Ironman playthrough. I will be streaming so you can watch yourselves die in all the brutal glory.

Isn't that two hours before the game unlocks?

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.