As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    What? No Canadian option for recruits?

Maple Leaf, motherfuckers!

Canadians pull from a few of the other lists instead of having their own sub-list.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Canadians were too polite and kept apologizing to the Aliens.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    We apologize for everything.

I AM SO SORRY GUYS.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

What the hell is that on the side of the twitter feed? I feel like I'm looking at satire, but not sure if satire.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I have to wait 3 days and 23 hours so basically fuck all y'all.

By rights the game should come out at midnight local time, because that's when the game comes out but due to Steam only semi-recognising that Australia is a thing, I get fucked both ways. It used to be Australia wasn't recognised at all and you'd be buying American games at American prices (which was awesome) with American release dates. Now it has dedicated Australian prices (worse than American, but much better than retail at least) but apparently uses European release dates based on GMT, which is twelve hours behind.

Dear servants of the Newell, here is a picture of Europe:
    europe-map.gif

Please indicate where on this map you think Australia is. I know it looks sort of like the bottom bit of Sweeden (from the other side of a darkened room, if I take my glasses off and if I am extemely drunk) but I can assure you, they are in fact different places.

One silver lining is that daylight savings has apparently moved the release date 1 hour closer. Whoopdie fucking do. If I sound bitter its probably because I actually am bitter.

Australia

• Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    That explains the swirling vortex of doom I kept seeing above Canada in a few vids.

• Options
    edited October 2012

And then they got to Vancouver and interrupted the Canucks game

vancouver-riot-2011-asian-kid_5.jpg?1315591539

COME AT ME SECTOID!

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    We totally hunted that kid down and got his application to university rejected, if I recall correctly. Something like that.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    ugh..those giant bomb guys...dumdumdumdumdum!

hey guys, you gotta be cautious, caution is the key aspect of this game, now watch as I bunch up super close together so the cyberdisc can wail on me. watch as I run around without reloading my weapons, watch as I end my turn with no cover woo!

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    To be fair, I don't recall any turns where they ended in no cover outside of stabilizing the one downed guy with no hostiles around.

Though I knew things were going to go south the instant he got three people backed up against a single log right next to each other.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    We totally hunted that kid down and got his application to university rejected, if I recall correctly. Something like that.

That seems like a shitty thing to do in retrospect. Like, best possible outcome from punitive action like that is what? At the time I'd be passing out the rope, but man, I wouldnt fuck with someone's life nearly that much.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    You guys were lucky you didn't see the stream of some guy who got the game early. He lost. On Easy. Without ever advancing the story. He got 30 something guys killed. The game on easy actively helps you win the tactical game and he still lost totally

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    ugh..those giant bomb guys...dumdumdumdumdum!

hey guys, you gotta be cautious, caution is the key aspect of this game, now watch as I bunch up super close together so the cyberdisc can wail on me. watch as I run around without reloading my weapons, watch as I end my turn with no cover woo!

I had to stop watching for that exact reason - minutes of ponificating about tactics, the doing stupid things.

When it was down to the disk and its 2 drones, the first target should have been the disk - forcing it to go into defensive mode, and forcing the drones to heal, not shoot.

Then you start your turn with 5 guys with LOS on 3 targets.

God, I can't wait for the game to come out, so I can get angry at myself, instead. :lol:

• Options
    Bob the InsaneBob the Insane Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I have decided that my first run will be a Normal Ironman game using the list of names that I wrote myself, containing friends, family, and fictional characters. I will be doing this for minor training purposes and to unlock Second Wave.

My second game will be using a Classic Ironman game with the following options enabled:
    Damage Roulette Weapons have a much wider range of damage.
    Red Fog Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier's stats for that mission.
    Hidden Potential Rookies will have random starting stats.
    Results Driven As a soldier is promoted, their stats will increase randomly.
    New Economy A country will offer less funding as its panic increases.
    High Stakes The rewards granted for stopping alien abductions are randomized.
    Absolutely Critical A flanking shot will guarantee a critical hit.
    More Than Human The psionic gift is extremely rare.
    The Greater Good The secret of psionics can only be learned by interrogating a psionic alien.
    This game will be using the PA name list. I plan to keep PA informed of the ongoing war efforts via a Monthly Report written as a Commander's Log. I've already begun work on my initial log, since I know what happens in the training mission. I am much more looking forward to Game 2 than Game 1.

So how do you seed the names list with family and friends?

So say friends and family I have:

John Smith
    David Jones
    Conner McCloud
    Jane Doe

Is it (in simplified form)?

m_arrEnFFirstNames="Jane"

m_arrEnLastNames="Smith"
    m_arrEnLastNames="Jones"
    m_arrEnLastNames="McCloud"
    m_arrEnLastNames="Doe"

I assume not as this can result in "Jane McCloud", for example...

Or is it?

m_arrEnFFirstNames=" "

m_arrEnLastNames="John Smith"
    m_arrEnLastNames="David Jones"
    m_arrEnLastNames="Conner McCloud"
    m_arrEnLastNames="Jane Doe"

edit: can't this result in a female John Smith or male Jane Doe??

Thanks....

Bob the Insane on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Interesting to note that the Giant Bomb quick look was done on Normal, so, he likely would have had it much rougher there. Which I would have loved to see.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    @Bob the Insane Right on both counts. If you want that sort of exceptionally fine-grain control, you'll have to manually assign names (which you can do).

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Bob the InsaneBob the Insane Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @Bob the Insane Right on both counts. If you want that sort of exceptionally fine-grain control, you'll have to manually assign names (which you can do).

Thanks...

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I have decided that my first run will be a Normal Ironman game using the list of names that I wrote myself, containing friends, family, and fictional characters. I will be doing this for minor training purposes and to unlock Second Wave.

My second game will be using a Classic Ironman game with the following options enabled:
    Damage Roulette Weapons have a much wider range of damage.
    Red Fog Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier's stats for that mission.
    Hidden Potential Rookies will have random starting stats.
    Results Driven As a soldier is promoted, their stats will increase randomly.
    New Economy A country will offer less funding as its panic increases.
    High Stakes The rewards granted for stopping alien abductions are randomized.
    Absolutely Critical A flanking shot will guarantee a critical hit.
    More Than Human The psionic gift is extremely rare.
    The Greater Good The secret of psionics can only be learned by interrogating a psionic alien.
    This game will be using the PA name list. I plan to keep PA informed of the ongoing war efforts via a Monthly Report written as a Commander's Log. I've already begun work on my initial log, since I know what happens in the training mission. I am much more looking forward to Game 2 than Game 1.

So how do you seed the names list with family and friends?
    So say friends and family I have:

John Smith
    David Jones
    Conner McCloud
    Jane Doe

Is it (in simplified form)?

m_arrEnFFirstNames="Jane"

m_arrEnLastNames="Smith"
    m_arrEnLastNames="Jones"
    m_arrEnLastNames="McCloud"
    m_arrEnLastNames="Doe"

I assume not as this can result in "Jane McCloud", for example...

Or is it?

m_arrEnFFirstNames=" "

m_arrEnLastNames="John Smith"
    m_arrEnLastNames="David Jones"
    m_arrEnLastNames="Conner McCloud"
    m_arrEnLastNames="Jane Doe"

edit: can't this result in a female John Smith or male Jane Doe??

Thanks....

Well, see, I was just going to go into the barracks, it the customize soldier button, and then change the name, then go on to the next soldier. I don't see any reason to complicate it.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Hmm. I wonder if the game will save those First Name and Last Name strings a person inputs for any custom soldier names you do. Would be kinda neat, but unlikely I think.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    it blows my mind how little people actually think about using tactics, you can't just fucking run and gun, this is not some CoD bullshit

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Good morning. Let's look at the numbers.

chart_1.png

128 recruits. AMERICAN continues to remain top dog, with 26. ENGLISH, GERMAN, SCOTTISH, and IRISH are firm tier two with between 10 and 13 recruits each. AUSTRALIAN, NORWEGIAN, CHINESE, RUSSIAN, DUTCH, ISRAELI, and ITALIAN are tier 3, with between 4 and 7 recruits. INDIAN is still bringing up the rear, with finnith being our only recruit from Bharata.

Haven't added your name yet? You still have ~13 hours to do so.

The resulting DefaultNameList.ini will be available from my Dropbox, as well as posted here in plain text.

Just added myself, even though I've 1) only appeared as a pilot in chiasaur11's and Fishman's LPs (about time I got my arse out of the pilot seat), 2) probably won't get around to buying this for a while due to Borderlands 2, and 3) will almost certainly die horribly in 99.99% of games or your money back. But hey, one moment of glory and all that. Plus this is an awesome idea, and more games should allow for these kinds of modifications, because who doesn't want to watch people from the internet being melted by a hail of plasma fired by their mind-controlled allies? :D

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Just added my name to the list.

A bit sad there was no Finlanders. Felt kind of dirty picking Norwegian. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    If I go to Wal-Mart at midnight and grab an XBox copy, it'll have the patch in it, right? It doesn't just come with PC copies?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    PC only.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Man, that's some bullshit.

...well, I've never picked up a game for two systems at launch before, so this should be a new experience!

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    So, IGN looks to have given it the lowest score so far, at an 8.2. Their takeaway negatives? "Steep Learning Curve in Strategic Layer" and "Small Scale on Tactical Level"

So, quite literally, they knocked it down for being too hard.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    "Learning curve" is not difficulty. They knocked it down for being too confusing. And in fact, being too confusing/having a steep learning curve is exactly the sort of shit the original X-COM gets in this thread when people list its flaws, so take that however you wish.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    No Canada on the name list? Sad panda :(.

Entered myself as American.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Canukistani soldiers take names from a few lists, seeing as we're all immigrants anyway.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think my first play through is going to be Presidents and First Ladies.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    IGN has a habit of knocking games that aren't shit easy. They did it to Full Spectrum Warrior and Ninja Gaiden IIRC.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Slightly ot, but re: the outer limits conversation last page, I believe there was also an episode where there really were aliens, but it turns out they were saving us from extinction and by killing them we cemented our fate.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    "Learning curve" is not difficulty. They knocked it down for being too confusing. And in fact, being too confusing/having a steep learning curve is exactly the sort of shit the original X-COM gets in this thread when people list its flaws, so take that however you wish.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see that anywhere in the review. What I see is "Its hard to tell which choice is the right choice." That isn't because anything is confusing, its because its built to be a tough choice.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    8.2? Mega bomb. I can smell the stinker already.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Added my name.

I can't wait to see myself get turned in to horrible alien goo!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    No Canada on the name list? Sad panda :(.

Entered myself as American.
    The name lists are more "ethnicity" than "nationality". Canadian names are drawn from multiple pools.

We've had a huge explosion of recruits in the last few hours. Up to 159!

oimg?key=0Au0GcLXf5ngYdHF2TkFSQVhwRU5ZYW5tc3hBYl9UZFE&oid=2&zx=a3e7mbv062o8

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    In the demo - Map2 - US I busted the final aliens X-Com style. Opened the door in the second house and all team members threw grenades through the windows and the door. In the final game, can entire buildings be leveled? In the demo the interior catched fire after I blew it appart.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see that anywhere in the review. What I see is "Its hard to tell which choice is the right choice." That isn't because anything is confusing, its because its built to be a tough choice.

Or maybe because there is no right choice because you've screwed things up so badly. Or maybe they're all right choices because you've had some good luck and are ahead of the curve. Or even all choices have good and bad outcomes, and you'll just have to decide what to sacrifice to accomplish the goal you chose.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I feel a bit sorry for the aliens, picking Earf of all places to invade.

I mean that's up there with the best of the wasp nest related Darwin awards for bad ideas.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    In the demo - Map2 - US I busted the final aliens X-Com style. Opened the door in the second house and all team members threw grenades through the windows and the door. In the final game, can entire buildings be leveled? In the demo the interior catched fire after I blew it appart.

Terrain and buildings are not collapsible, no.

This discussion has been closed.