Options

Colonel, why can't I just take their guns?

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just thought of another one. I know its done for the benefit of the player, but how come EVERYONE in games speaks the language the game is released in, regardless of where the game takes place and what nationality characters are?

For the Japanese version of Metal Gear Solid 1-2, you have American military guys like Snake, Raiden, and Campbell, working for the US government, doing their stuff on US military bases, yet everyone speaks Japanese? in MGS 3 you have American people fighting Russians, and the same thing happens.

Resident Evil 4 was nice in the fact that the villagers spoke Spanish, but Sadler, Salizar, and Mendez all spoke fluent English? In the Japanese version I'm assuming Leon, Ashley, and so on all spoke Japanese too.

Its just weird to think about.
    In stalker they all speak freaking russian to each other.
    That RE4 sendup from Something Awful draws attention to the fact that there must have been a pretty colossal intelligence failure on someone's part if they sent Leon, who apparently only speaks Americanese, waltzing into people's homes to shove a picture of Ashley into people's faces in a Spanish-speaking village.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    FF7. Aeris.

I HAVE PHEONIX DOWN. LET ME GIVE HER THE GODDAMN PHEONIX DOWN ALREADY. D:

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    To expand on the post above mine, I love how in RPGs you find a character who is super bad-ass, you're estatic to find out he'll be in your party and then.. he's barely any more powerful than you are. D:

Or yeah you fight some guy at some point in the story and then later on he joins your party and is weaker then when you fought him.

or in that exact reverse order. *cough final fantasy 12 cough*

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If I could add to RE4's use of spanish, I found it quite odd that they call their master "Lord Saddler". How come the Lord part isn't in spanish? They could have said "Padre Saddler" or something else. It's just like when Scales speaks a bunch of gibberish language but the "Dinosaur Planet" part is kept in english.
    or in that exact reverse order. *cough final fantasy 12 cough*

At least in that case, you could say that the guy was holding back when he was in your group. After all, why give your A game for a group of people you're going to screw over anyway?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Skies of Arcadia Legends - More Gilder. Lots more Gilder.

Super Mario RPG - Having Luigi and Yoshi in your party, I was looking forward to this and was apalled when it never happened. (Although it is remedied later in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.)

Chrono Trigger -
    After Frog's final confrontation with Magus, regardless of whether you kill him or have him join your party, Frog becomes human again

Twilight Princess -
    "Don't leave, Midna! You just got hot! Come baaaaaaaaaack!" Oh well, at least Link gets recognition in this game as a hero when he goes home.

EDIT: I really need to apologize for this, I swear I thought this was the "What would you do differently in a game's story" thread.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In Twilight Princess:
    In the Yeti's house. Getting to their bedroom will take literally an hour of puzzle solving, enemy killing, and loading and firing cannons.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    In Twilight Princess:
    In the Yeti's house. Getting to their bedroom will take literally an hour of puzzle solving, enemy killing, and loading and firing cannons.

Maybe they're really into the rough stuff?

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    They said it was because their house was cursed. Although even when you break the curse, the monsters are STILL there.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ok, so you have this laser that cuts locks in one of the Bond games.

yet, when you run out of bullets, and try to use the laser to cut off an enemy's head or something, no dice. stupid karate chop.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They said it was because their house was cursed. Although even when you break the curse, the monsters are STILL there.

It takes a while after breaking a curse to get the monsters to leave. Just look at Kingdom Hearts. You lock the various worlds but the damned Heartless are still there.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    and i know this doesnt count as one, but there was this webcomic once where it made fun of absorbing enemies into your party in RPGs.

"Ok, you've defeated me. I will now join your party"
    "Uh, no thanks"
    "What?"
    "We dont want your help."
    "But you defeated me! I have to join!"
    "No! We know how it works! You almost kick everyone in my group's ass when you are the enemy, but once you join our team, you're weak as fuck."

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh, a corollary to the OP: the enemies who never run out of ammo. Ever. You can turn on invincibility and stand in the middle of the stage, letting them mow you down for half an hour. The minute you kill them, and take the gun? Two rounds left. I've never seen an attempt at that one getting explained.

Edit: out of curiousity, was there ever any explanation offered for the Resident Evil random item hunts? Find a widget to fit into the clock so you can access the stairwell, which is the only way into the kitchen?

wasnt there this really crappy PC game Devastation, or something (It was featured on Xplay's Worst games of all time) where your enemies could run out of ammo too, but then they'd just follow you around.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Trespasser. I guess it had a neat physics system for its time and a Wii-like mouse interface where you controlled your arm directly

Quite possibly the worst physics in any game ever made actually. Boxes floated like baloons until you needed to throw them. Then they were crates of lead.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I doubt anybody played this game but Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is ridiculous. Hermione is all like "get me the history of magic in the library" but she asks me at midnight, when the prefects are out. Why doesn't she just wait a few more hours until the library is open and I don't have to fight flying fucking books to get it.

Also, why does going to class consist of the teacher calling me to the front of the class and then telling me to go in a dungeon.

And why do Ron and 'Mione go to bed right after class. I mean we go to class at about say 10AM, then an hour later we go to bed and they have me do ridiculous quests at night that they could easily do when it's light out and not get in trouble.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    no, see

that's the game telling you directly that it won't work, like saying 'You don't need to use the word 'lightbulb' to complete this story.'

shade changes it so that the error messages help you to identify further with the protagonist

considering shade is all about identity, that's pretty important

I still think I'd be tempted to yell at the screen "No, really, I do want the dark, stop telling me I don't".

But I haven't played Shade, so maybe it actually works well in practice.

check it out it is rad as hell

what the fuck.

what is the real ending here? I just
    got something where I realize there's a street behind me, and the game starts all over again. I'm reading a walkthrough and supposedly a little thing is supposed to come out later? the game just restarted for me. Am I doing this right?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, a corollary to the OP: the enemies who never run out of ammo. Ever. You can turn on invincibility and stand in the middle of the stage, letting them mow you down for half an hour. The minute you kill them, and take the gun? Two rounds left. I've never seen an attempt at that one getting explained.

Edit: out of curiousity, was there ever any explanation offered for the Resident Evil random item hunts? Find a widget to fit into the clock so you can access the stairwell, which is the only way into the kitchen?

wasnt there this really crappy PC game Devastation, or something (It was featured on Xplay's Worst games of all time) where your enemies could run out of ammo too, but then they'd just follow you around.
    It's not something you'd notice on your first few playthroughs, but NPCs in Deus Ex can run out of ammo and will switch to a secondary weapon if they have one or run away if they don't. I thought it was really cool when I first saw it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lork wrote: »

It's not something you'd notice on your first few playthroughs, but NPCs in Deus Ex can run out of ammo and will switch to a secondary weapon if they have one or run away or they don't. I though it was really cool when I first noticed it.

just another thing that makes Deus Ex so great, I assume.

I've never played it, but I hear from G and T that it's great. Not Gabe and Tycho. Though I've just realized that's gotta have confused someone sometime.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lork wrote: »
    It's not something you'd notice on your first few playthroughs, but NPCs in Deus Ex can run out of ammo and will switch to a secondary weapon if they have one or run away or they don't. I though it was really cool when I first noticed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenmlaW8qiU

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sharpie wrote: »
    I think it's kinda weird how in WoW you can kill a wolf and they will sometimes drop something like a shield. What need would a wolf have for a shield?

Alternatively, why can't you get regular loot, like body parts, from every animal that you kill? Do Cliff Racers only have feathers for a short time before moulting, or what?

This happens in all sorts of RPGS, D&D, Final Fantasy and so on come to mind. I always just assumed that either the creature had:

1. Eaten the item (such as gold, a potion, etc.)

2. If it was a sentient creaturee (like a Kobold) it just had it on its person (Er Kobold?)

If you were a dire wolf with a belly full of silver pieces, you'd be pissed and attack PCs too.

As for the rarity of kobold hands or tiger claws or whatever, the answer to that is simple: You need an intact item X from the bloddy beaten corpse of Monster Y you just killed... so ya it's reasonable to say there might only be one salvageable eyeball.
    On the subject of Zelda: TP, it always bugged me how Midna would never let Link transform in front of people on account of "scaring them". Why couldn't Link just tell his friends about his lupine disorder? It's not like they'd shun him. Heck, they'd probably think he was even cooler.
    It's NEVER Lupine Disorder!

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For the Japanese version of Metal Gear Solid 1-2, you have American military guys like Snake, Raiden, and Campbell, working for the US government, doing their stuff on US military bases, yet everyone speaks Japanese? in MGS 3 you have American people fighting Russians, and the same thing happens.

When you first meet Sokolov in MG:S3, he comments about how excellent Snake's Russian is. It's a bit of a nod to that. Of course everyone is speaking in Russian, but the player needs to actually be able to understand them so all the speech is actually in English or Japanese or whatever.

jothki on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One thing I love about Baldur's Gate 2, upon playing back through it in co-op, is that it actually does make sense that no one gives a rats ass about you for a long time. Most people have reasonable motivations that either help or hinder you, there is only one real honest to god "evil madman". The rest of the game is just trying to gather the resources you need to find the bastard. I just enjoy it when yes it does make sense that merchant X is still charging you, after all: you only stopped the slave trade, you didn't save the planet. I generally prefer games that don't have you as a ridiculous demi-god though. Although, Okami did do an excellent job of making you such a god that you kill the boss and then
    play for another 25 hours, while people acknowledge your badassery (usually)

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Wicked Lord JasperWicked Lord Jasper Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Chrono Trigger -
    After Frog's final confrontation with Magus, regardless of whether you kill him or have him join your party, Frog becomes human again
    I remember enough about Chrono Trigger's endings to say that this isn't true. There are precisely two endings (rather, variations of endings) in which Frog becomes human again, and both require killing Magus. One is the "Looking for Chrono" ending with the Epoch intact, and the other is the standard ending with the Epoch intact.

Wicked Lord Jasper on
  • Options
    yomamayomama Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This thread has me dying of laughter. I must say before i get flamed that I LOVED RE4 as it's one of the best games I have ever played. But, if i were Leon and someone told me...

Hunnigan: "We're sorry Leon but you've got to basically rescue the PRESIDENT'S DAUGHTER from hoards of potential terrorist.....By yourself."

If i were leon...

Leon: "FUCK that. You better bring the Air national guard here dammit. I'm not stepping another foot into this fucked up village... Do you know what i'm staring at Hunnigan??? A woman.... With a pitchfork through her fuckin skull."

The PRESIDENT... Sending ONE person after his DAUGHTER, and who sends just ONE chopper (mike) to help with the rescue efforts. Saddler treated mike like he was "small time."

yomama on
  • Options
    EeevilEeevil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Take Ex-Death for example.
    This guy aspired to receive this ultimate power and rule the galaxy, and once he receives that power, he basically turns into a gigantic tree. Then a bunch of dragons, ladies, skeletons, and other shit basically grow out of him. Why would anyone want to turn themselves into crap like this? I'm sure he would get a wild siamese orgy out of it, but then what?

I thought Ex-death's origin story was just that some tree got infused with dark magic. It seems like he didn't turn into a tree so much as revert into his true form.(rpg bosses love doing that for some reason)

As for his second form, I figured he was combining himself with everything he had sucked into the void to increase his power. And if I remember correctly, wasn't he trying to destroy the world anyway? Why would he care what he looked like?

Eeevil on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yomama wrote: »
    The PRESIDENT... Sending ONE person after his DAUGHTER, and who sends just ONE chopper (mike) to help with the rescue efforts.

Obviously he doesn't like her very much. Can't say I blame him. If I were in his position, I'd have sent a thank-you note and been done with it.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chrono Trigger -
    I remember enough about Chrono Trigger's endings to say that this isn't true. There are precisely two endings (rather, variations of endings) in which Frog becomes human again, and both require killing Magus. One is the "Looking for Chrono" ending with the Epoch intact, and the other is the standard ending with the Epoch intact.
    What I meant was immediately after the fight, or non-fight, frog would become human. Then you could play with the human version of Frog for the rest of the game.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chrono Trigger -
    What I meant was immediately after the fight, or non-fight frog would become human. Then you could play with the human version of Frog for the rest of the game.
    That would make some of his techs kind of strange, don't you think?

Frog licking you to heal was weird enough. I don't think we need to see Glenn licking Crono in the middle of a fight.

Aydr on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    The PRESIDENT... Sending ONE person after his DAUGHTER, and who sends just ONE chopper (mike) to help with the rescue efforts.

Obviously he doesn't like her very much. Can't say I blame him. If I were in his position, I'd have sent a thank-you note and been done with it.

That's because only one state in the union would let you legally fuck her. Duct tape fixes all.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chrono Trigger -
    What I meant was immediately after the fight, or non-fight, frog would become human. Then you could play with the human version of Frog for the rest of the game.

WHAT?!? THAT SOUNDS AWESOME. EXPLAIN!

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

That's because only one state in the union would let you legally fuck her.

She's 20.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's because only one state in the union would let you legally fuck her.

She's 20.

I was making reference to the fact that he's operating from the POV of her father, the president.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chrono Trigger -

This is a hypothetical situation they're talking about. It's not real, Darunia just wants it to be.

Aydr on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chrono Trigger -

I would say that that's 100% wrong based on my memory of trying for just that, except my memory is like a decade old now

So yeeaaahhh

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Wicked Lord JasperWicked Lord Jasper Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chrono Trigger -

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant. That would have been an interesting idea, but I'm also fine with the way it was handled. However...
    There has to be some compensation for killing Magus and hence never having him in your party. The way it is, there's an incentive to try it both ways on two different playthroughs. I always thought that was an inspired touch.
    I'm not so sure this falls in the realm of the nonsensical, though, whichever way you look at it. There are fine explanations for the way it is. It's magic, after all.

Wicked Lord Jasper on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There are fine explanations for the way it is. It's magic, after all.

That's right, just like prayer and masturbation.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    About CT...
    in the PS1 version, in the ending anime clip after beating the game, there's a scene where Frog is shown in his human form, whether you killed Magus or not. This lead to just one of many unresolved debates with CC (is Magus' death canon? Is Frog a human but not shown? etc)

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    About CT...
    in the PS1 version, in the ending anime clip after beating the game, there's a scene where Frog is shown in his human form, whether you killed Magus or not. This lead to just one of many unresolved debates with CC (is Magus' death canon? Is Frog a human but not shown? etc)
    Magus is too cool for his death to be canon.

jothki on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Reviving this topic with another gaming-peeve I've had for a while.

What is it with bosses taking on these ridiculous, cumbersome forms? Take Ex-Death for example.

5720-20NeoExdeath.gif

This guy aspired to receive this ultimate power and rule the galaxy, and once he receives that power, he basically turns into a gigantic tree. Then a bunch of dragons, ladies, skeletons, and other shit basically grow out of him. Why would anyone want to turn themselves into crap like this? I'm sure he would get a wild siamese orgy out of it, but then what?

I was reading over this thread, and nothing made me laugh more than this.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sharpie wrote: »
    I think it's kinda weird how in WoW you can kill a wolf and they will sometimes drop something like a shield. What need would a wolf have for a shield?

This totally reminded me of Diablo. In the book, it addressed the question of "Why are demons carrying gold when they aren't going to be spending it?"

Social status was the answer.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Don't know if it has been mentioned, but MGS: The Twin Snakes comes to mind. Alot. In the cutscenes snake could fucking flip OFF of missles being shot at him and do arial stunts by jumping 15 feet in the air. Yet when you got to control him, it was all punch, punch, kick.

Zeta on