As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Will Call is almost always open on Thursdays.

• Options
    seventyx7xseventyx7x Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Last year was my first PAX, and I went to the Queue room at 9 AM Friday... but I never received a "swag bag." Did I just miss it? Where are they usually located?

seventyx7x on
  • Options
    Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    seventyx7x wrote: »
    Last year was my first PAX, and I went to the Queue room at 9 AM Friday... but I never received a "swag bag." Did I just miss it? Where are they usually located?
    Last year they set them up in the queue room a few hours after opening the expo hall up.

• Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Last year they set them up in the queue room a few hours after opening the expo hall up.

Hopefully they go back to the way they were for PAX Prime '11, where if you were lined up at a theater for a panel first thing in the morning you could grab your swag bag right there.

• Options
    TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    Yes, 12 was my first PAX and heading back for a bag that you had to pack as you walked along a table was a bit waste of time as unless you spent hours before the line opened to be "first" the limited or highly desired items were gone.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yea, I don't think I've seen it confirmed anywhere yet but every enforcer I talked to last year about the way they did the swag said that it was a very poor decision and they were going to ask that it go back to the previous way for '13.

There were some useful things in the swag area though. Most of it got left at the hotel but I took a few things home. I usually buy some merch after the first PA Q&A on Friday and the queue room is right there so I just went and grabbed the swag and then got in line for merch.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    what board games are generally played at pax?

• Options
    This is going to sound like a cop-out answer, but ALL OF THEM! I'm sure there's some games that don't get played, but it's an incredibly wide variety. I'm not sure I've seen a lot of super old school games like chutes and ladders or monopoly though.

Some tabletop discussion is going on in this thread if you have any more tabletop questions: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/181580/prime-2013-tabletop-info

• Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    So we can see what venues are on what floors and such. (>^~^)>

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Soooooooon

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    The guidebook for 2013 is not up yet. Should be soon, whenever they finalize the schedule I'm sure

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Re: swag bags
    I doubt they will be going back to the bags being available before PAX opens after what happened at East '12, so I expect 11am swag bag retrieval again. I am not an enforcer, but my guess is that if they don't do something brand new with swag bags; they will probably handle it like they did this past East (probably with some tweaks.) You could get bags at 11am, but everything was in the bags already akin to East '12 and prior.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I personally found the swag bags not worth waiting in line for last year. A back issue of PC mag and some basic magic cards were the highlights.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    The swag bag is really just a bunch of advertisements.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »

But sometimes those are vaulable ads. I also get good use regifting them as stocking stuffers at Xmas time.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Re: Swag Bags
    I can confrim #e will be stuffing bags pre-PAX.
    The last 2 PAXen (East and Aus 13) they have been given out after 11am each day in the Queue room. This seems to be working quite well, and I would not expect any major changes to it. It has the benefit of not holding up the line getting into the Queue room, not being especially enforcer intensive, and those that don't want one won't get one by default just to throw it away.

Always feel free to ask any of the #e once you get on site for the up-to-date plan.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Disco11 wrote: »
    I personally found the swag bags not worth waiting in line for last year. A back issue of PC mag and some basic magic cards were the highlights.
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »

EDIT: @Beker beat me to the punch! His info trumps anything I know. =) Thanks Beker!

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Wasn't arcade sona (lol) in the swag bag last year? that was nice, although i may be misremembering.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Please keep this for Q&A :) If you'd like to make a separate thread to continue to talk about what's in the swag bags, feel free to do so.

• Options
    ElektroDragonElektroDragon Registered User regular
    I can't believe I'm this stupid since I've been attending PAX since 2008, but I could not get tickets last year and my memory has gone to hell. Also, incredibly, could not find answers to these questions, please help:

1) How early should I arrive on Friday if I'm pre-registered and don't need to park?

2) Where do I go to get the lanyard and schwag bag? Is it still second floor, take a left, and enter that big room?

3) Where is the Main theater this time? Is there a map available yet?

Again, apologies for my lack of memory and search ability.

• Options
    1) up to you. You can start lining up for things at 8am. PAX Opens at 10am.
    2) The big queue room is actually on the 4th floor, there should be maps coming in the next few weeks.
    3) I believe the main theater is the Paramount again, and see my last for maps.

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    I can't believe I'm this stupid since I've been attending PAX since 2008, but I could not get tickets last year and my memory has gone to hell. Also, incredibly, could not find answers to these questions, please help:

1) How early should I arrive on Friday if I'm pre-registered and don't need to park?

2) Where do I go to get the lanyard and schwag bag? Is it still second floor, take a left, and enter that big room?

1) If you have your badges you can arrive as early as you want on Friday. Though, you'll probably not be first in line, so I would expect to be in a line for a little. I think doors will open at 8AM to fill up the queue room, and then PAX opens at 10AM.

2) That's been answered above, but I believe 11AM is when you can pick up bags, and in the Queue room (typically on 4th floor).

3a) I believe that Main Theater will continue to be at the Paramount Theater next to the Conference Center.
    3b) I don't think so.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    To elaborate on the maps question. Is it normally posted on the website? I don't remember. I really hope there is a map because I need to see how close/far wolfman is from pegasus. If one is in Sheraton and the other isn't I'm gonna have a long haul in a short period of time between panels. Also, the Pitching Last of Us panel is going to generate a large crowd. Suggest getting to that one early. (Should be in Main theatre in my opinion, but that topic has been beaten to death already :) )

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

1) Depends upon when the convention center will let people inside to line up in the queue room. The Expo Hall opens at 10. I would think 8 AM is early enough to line up for Expo Hall. Someone else can probably chime in on this.

If you want to attend a morning panel (Keynote, etc.) you do not have to line up in the queue room. Go directly to that theatre (Main Theatre = The Paramount, Pegasus Theatre = Sheraton hotel, etc.) to line up. Make sure you have your badge with you! (obviously)

2) Yes. Also not to confuse you but by second floor I believe you mean fourth floor. The room number is 4A (a.k.a. the queue room)

3) The Main Theatre will be at the Paramount Theatre. It is about a quarter of a mile away (~one block) from the WSCC main entrance. (9th Ave. and Pine). No maps available yet but they will be...SOON™. More info on the Paramount here - http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Paramount_Theater

EDIT: Wow I type slow, lol (slowpoke.jpg)

zeromyst on
    CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    To elaborate on the maps question. Is it normally posted on the website? I don't remember. I really hope there is a map because I need to see how close/far wolfman is from pegasus. If one is in Sheraton and the other isn't I'm gonna have a long haul in a short period of time between panels. Also, the Pitching Last of Us panel is going to generate a large crowd. Suggest getting to that one early. (Should be in Main theatre in my opinion, but that topic has been beaten to death already :) )
    Yes. Keep your eye on http://prime.paxsite.com/ and the forums. As soon as the official map goes live it will be posted in these places.

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    The map usually gets posted via the guidebook guide.

• Options
    LinkavichLinkavich Gary Motha-Fuckin Oak Registered User regular
    What is this "guidebook" that keeps being mentioned? Is it a webpage, future link, app?

I'm a turtle wrangler. I wrangle turtles.
  • Options
    http://guidebook.com

It is the official mobile app for PAX. You can go to http://m.guidebook.com/ and search for PAX to see older pax guides

• Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    If you have a smartphone I highly recommend downloading Guidebook as it'll be an invaluable tool throughout the event. Especially if you have a sudden change in plans (miss an event, event lets out early, decide to skip something, etc).

Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    There are some good community-made apps as well, we'll likely start a mobile app thread whenever the guidebook guide goes live, or if someone wants to start a "useful mobile apps for pax" thread now, that's also good.

• Options
    jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    My app (PAX Digital Assistant for Windows Phone) just got updated with the 2013 schedule - I'd love to open that thread if it won't look too self promotional :) (I would also mention wildbohr's Pocket PAX, and Guidebook - that's all I know of?)

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • Options
    floor plans, where are you?

• Options
    is there going to be Q&A session during to Everyone Wins panel?

• Options
    is there going to be Q&A session during to Everyone Wins panel?
    Other than if it says so in the official schedule, you'd have to ask the panelists.
    floor plans, where are you?
    sooooooon

• Options
    dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    If i were to take my 4 single day passes to will call. could i trade it in for a 4 day badge instead? ive been collecting the 3 day badges since 07.

Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    If i were to take my 4 single day passes to will call. could i trade it in for a 4 day badge instead? ive been collecting the 3 day badges since 07.
    Nope, that is not a thing that PAX does.

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Ok guys, this is happening a lot recently so I want to make something very clear.

We are not Penny Arcade Customer Service. I do not work for Penny Arcade. I make this FAQ because it helps a lot of first time attendees with a lot of their questions which are not covered by the official FAQ. This is a collection of information I've collected over the years or directly from Penny Arcade.

The point of this thread is so that you can ask questions, any questions, and we as a community can help you answer it. Sometimes are answer will be "email pax_questions@paxsite.com "

You will not get a better nor a quicker answer by PMing me your questions. Every single PM I've gotten in the last week could have easily been posted in this thread. I'm not here every day. You will get a much quicker answer by just posting in this thread.

That being said, I'm not saying I won't help you if you PM me. Just please consider posting in this thread FIRST. There are so many more available community members at any give time on the forums, then just whenever I log in next.

tl;dr: post your questions in the FAQ. Don't PM me.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Yeah this thread exists solely for people to post their questions within, and for people to answer them. Sometimes you may get redirected to pax_questions or another thread that might have your answer, but there's a lot of active forumers who love to help by answering questions here :)

• Options
    manlysheepmanlysheep Registered User new member
    If I have two thirteen year olds, can I let them go alone to PAX prime, or do I have to be withy hem?

• Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    manlysheep wrote: »
    If I have two thirteen year olds, can I let them go alone to PAX prime, or do I have to be withy hem?

http://prime.paxsite.com/faq#are-there-age-restrictions-to-pax-east

Long story short, 13 is a-ok.

6YJGH2V.png
This discussion has been closed.