Options

I got my MBA from [WH40k] Also, Drunkhammer besthammer.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I need a recommendation for some basing material. I'm putting together a couple of big terrain pieces (one is a couple feet long, and the other is a ruined cathedral so a couple feet in both dimensions) so I'm looking for something strong enough so that can be used to hold and carry the completed terrain, but isn't going to warp over time.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    MDF/particleboard is probably my suggestion. It's strong and won't warp. It may be too thick for your plans, though. Another option would be plastic styrene/plasticard, which does come in various thicknesses. I know it's used a lot in train modeling and such. Quarter-inch-thick plastic styrene would probably hold up quite well.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I'll probably cave and use Obliterators sooner or later. When I do, I'll use converted Terminators.

The new obliterator kits are much nicer and plastic. My metal oblit could probably be used as a deadly weapon. My current want list for new chaos-

1xHelldrake
    *Between raptors and bikes this slot is really full and I don't think I need more than one. Wonder how hard it is to magnetize the flamer and the cannon

2x boxes of Oblits
    *Gives me 5 Oblits so I can do what I want with them.
    1x Forgefiend
    *Magnetize the weapons and blow the shit out of people

And probably a 2 sets of noise marine kits and a box of csm to convert. So is the plan atm.

My current want list is:

Heldrake, possibly x2, or converted versions of them
    Predator, so I can have two of them
    ~10-20 more cultists after DV, since I can use them, though not necessary
    ~2-3 more bikes, so I can have my nurgle bikers or just a decent unit of regular bikers (dunno if I want to remodel/repaint)
    ~5 Spawn, though I suspect I can kitbash these if need be

Then probably convert my Defilers into Forge/Maulerfiends, and my Heavy Bolter Havocs into Autocannon Havocs. I think that's probably it.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    MDF/particleboard is probably my suggestion. It's strong and won't warp. It may be too thick for your plans, though. Another option would be plastic styrene/plasticard, which does come in various thicknesses. I know it's used a lot in train modeling and such. Quarter-inch-thick plastic styrene would probably hold up quite well.
    Are there sources for styrene that come in bigger than the standard evergreen page size? My issue with using styrene is that I'd have to bond each of the sheets to eachother to get a big enough base, and those would be multiple weak points.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Since my captain has a bike, and is now T5, do I need the storm shield to give the invuln save? What can still kill him if I give him artificer armor instead to give him a regular 2+ save? Nothing could instakill him, could it?

Or am I so tired I'm being stupid? It still seems having an invuln save is better than a regular 2+ save.

Any given Grey Knight squad with a Daemonhammer (which is most of them) instagibs T5, as do DCCWs, Warbosses with Klaws, railguns, a psychic power or two. Getting instagibbed isn't why you take the Storm Shield anymore, though, you take it so you can get saves against every attack that comes your way. T5 3+ isn't that sturdy against stuff with Rending or Lightning Claws or really any CC beatstick worth mentioning.

• Options
    Do note that the captain already has a 4++ save from his iron halo.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    ...Huh. Question: Does Lucius get an additional attack for having two close combat weapons? The Lash does not explicitly count as one.

• Options
    ...Huh. Question: Does Lucius get an additional attack for having two close combat weapons? The Lash does not explicitly count as one.
    Common sense would say yes. It may need a FAQ to clarify for the more RAW-intended out there.

• Options
    Since my captain has a bike, and is now T5, do I need the storm shield to give the invuln save? What can still kill him if I give him artificer armor instead to give him a regular 2+ save? Nothing could instakill him, could it?

Or am I so tired I'm being stupid? It still seems having an invuln save is better than a regular 2+ save.

Any given Grey Knight squad with a Daemonhammer (which is most of them) instagibs T5, as do DCCWs, Warbosses with Klaws, railguns, a psychic power or two. Getting instagibbed isn't why you take the Storm Shield anymore, though, you take it so you can get saves against every attack that comes your way. T5 3+ isn't that sturdy against stuff with Rending or Lightning Claws or really any CC beatstick worth mentioning.

As I and Gabe_Pitt said, he has the Iron Halo which makes his statline T5/3+/4++. Is it worth 15 points to make it a T5/3+/3++? It's the new black and all, but sometimes that 15 points can be used elsewhere.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    For the Forgefiend, I'm just not sold on the Hades. BS3 really kills it for me.
    The good thing is both weapons are really easy to magnatize so I can try both out

BS3 isn't so bad. Especially after I have been playing Orks with their BS2. BS3 is still a 50% chance to hit. So you will get 4 str 8 hits on average.

Average of 4 S8 hits is pretty nice against light vehicles but only AP4 means it probably won't make much of a dent in infantry.
    Exctoplasma on the other hand should get a nice number of AP2 hits whilst still having a chance at getting a few glances or maybe a pen against light vehicles.
    That's my preliminary thoughts anyway

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    Are there sources for styrene that come in bigger than the standard evergreen page size? My issue with using styrene is that I'd have to bond each of the sheets to eachother to get a big enough base, and those would be multiple weak points.
    Several years ago I bought a 40"x72" from these guys that I'm still using: http://www.usplastic.com/

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883&catid=715

Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    For the Forgefiend, I'm just not sold on the Hades. BS3 really kills it for me.
    The good thing is both weapons are really easy to magnatize so I can try both out

BS3 isn't so bad. Especially after I have been playing Orks with their BS2. BS3 is still a 50% chance to hit. So you will get 4 str 8 hits on average.

Average of 4 S8 hits is pretty nice against light vehicles but only AP4 means it probably won't make much of a dent in infantry.
    Exctoplasma on the other hand should get a nice number of AP2 hits whilst still having a chance at getting a few glances or maybe a pen against light vehicles.
    That's my preliminary thoughts anyway

True but you can also go the mix for 25 points and put the ecto on the head. The thing is my list rarely has a problem with blast templates but does have issues when getting high volumes of high strength fire. And the Forgefiend fits that perfectly. Also it doesn't have the gets hot rule which loves to screw me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    The wording of the entry leads me to believe the mix will be errata'd to 've illegal. It reads like you only get the additional ecto head if you already have 2 ecto heads.

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    skarsol wrote: »
    The wording of the entry leads me to believe the mix will be errata'd to 've illegal. It reads like you only get the additional ecto head if you already have 2 ecto heads.

Except that the official GW photo for the Forgefiend is...
    m2610110a_99120102036_CSMForgefiend01_873x627.jpg

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    If that's a legal mix, then I'm going to totally run a fiend like that. I hate the idea of three Gets Hot! weapons. Even more so with my shitty luck

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    It reads legal to me or at least as a rules as intended thing. Plus said picture.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular

Particleboard all the way; I think all the terrain we have is based on particleboard. (Except for the Dwarf Fort, which is sitting on a full inch of laminated plywood.)

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    plus the ecto-head is way, way, way cooler than the regular head.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Played my first games with the new Chaos book today.

First game, second turn, my Sorcerer kills a BA Sgt in a challenge. My first chance to roll on the Boon of Chaos table! What do I roll for my first roll? Double 6's :D:D

In my second game my opponent pointed out that no only do marked Sorcerers have to take at least 1 power from their god's table, but they aren't allowed to take more than half their powers from that table. That's fucking stupid and makes marked mastery level 2 Sorcerer's almost useless.

• Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Played my first games with the new Chaos book today.

First game, second turn, my Sorcerer kills a BA Sgt in a challenge. My first chance to roll on the Boon of Chaos table! What do I roll for my first roll? Double 6's :D:D

In my second game my opponent pointed out that no only do marked Sorcerers have to take at least 1 power from their god's table, but they aren't allowed to take more than half their powers from that table. That's fucking stupid and makes marked mastery level 2 Sorcerer's almost useless.

I don't know most people are complaining about being required to take one from the god tables since there are a lot of meh ones. Outside of Slaanesh which seems to win at psychic powers again. Also telepathy and biomancy are pretty awesome power sets.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The problem I have is needing to roll once on each chart. Without having at least two rolls on any given chart all the tables are all too random.

I don't see any use for a level 2 marked Sorcerer, at least with Nurgle. You could get away with a level 1 but not a level 2. Level 3 might be ok, but he seems really expensive.

I assume this is the side effect of only have a d3 chart for each god.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    The problem I have is needing to roll once on each chart. Without having at least two rolls on any given chart all the tables are all too random.

I don't see any use for a level 2 marked Sorcerer, at least with Nurgle. You could get away with a level 1 but not a level 2. Level 3 might be ok, but he seems really expensive.

I assume this is the side effect of only have a d3 chart for each god.

Nurgle powers to me are meh anyway. Outside Gift of Contagion none of them scream must have to me. Slaanesh really does have the best. There really are no bad powers there.

Though a Nurgle Sorc with Biomancy and getting like iron arm or something would be pretty mean in close combat. Especially if you get gift.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    20121014153812.jpg the start of my khornate templars paintjob.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    I went and primed my DV helbrute, and get a ton of tiny bubbles all over it from the spray paint.

Thankfully I like nurgle looks, but what the piss did I do wrong?

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    HUmidity? Old primer?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Ha! Apparently fights broke out between entrants and GW officials at the Italian games day Golden Daemon.

• Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    If your Psycher is Mastery Level 2, and can choose Biomancy, Telepathy, and Telekenesis Powers. Can you take one Biomancy and one Telekenesis power? -Or do they both have to be from the same school?

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Nah you can mix and match between disciplines, just not between codex powers and rulebook ones.

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Think its usually that you can pick between them. Unless it specifically says you have to generate all your powers from just one tree, but the only one I know that has to do that is Severin Loth.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    I went and primed my DV helbrute, and get a ton of tiny bubbles all over it from the spray paint.

Used aerosol spray-paint?
    No really, over in the painting thread the consensus is pretty much that Vallejo's Surface Primer (the polyurethane-acrylic blend) is basically the god of all primers and that even using it in a cheapass spray gun powered by canned propellant is better than trying for a decent finish with aerosols.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    So I mentioned my 40k stuff to one of my new roomates the other day and almost every day this week he has brought a box of old stuff from his parents place and basically said he doesn't really want most of it an I can more or less do what I want with it. There's tons of chaos and orks some IG an a stack of old rulebooks including the old angels of death codex and a warmaster rulebook. Turns out he was close to being a golden daemon level painter back in the day but just stopped suddenly like ten years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So a mastery level 3 Slaanesh marked sorcerer picks 2 Slaanesh powers and 1 from another lore? No more, No less?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Does he have the 2e Ork Codex? That's been a hole in my collection for a while now. Angels of Death too, but I don't miss it so much.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    So a mastery level 3 Slaanesh marked sorcerer picks 2 Slaanesh powers and 1 from another lore? No more, No less?

You can do two different things.

2 Slaanesh Powers/1 BRB power

1 Slaanesh Power/2 BRB power

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

No really, over in the painting thread the consensus is pretty much that Vallejo's Surface Primer (the polyurethane-acrylic blend) is basically the god of all primers and that even using it in a cheapass spray gun powered by canned propellant is better than trying for a decent finish with aerosols.

Emphasis mine. Here is a really nice review. Seriously this shit is amazing. It it can be brushed on and is also airbrush/spray gun ready so you can just dump the unused stuff back in the bottle. It self-leveling properties are amazing - you can pretty much just slather it on - and the finish is spectacular.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    mugginns wrote: »
    When did you get a thunderhawk and why didn't you send it to me

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

The downside is if you want colour primer.

• Options
    It actually comes in a wide variety of colors.

• Options

It was white aerosol paint, which makes the bubbles a lot easier to spot. If I had the cash to grab an airbrush, I'd totally use that stuff. Priming by my hand would ruin the detail I feel.

I was most likely too close trying to make sure I hit all of the pieces underneath the huge shoulders of the helbrute. I did the company master the day before and it worked like a charm.