As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The House Of [Phalla]nstein - Game Over - Monster & Neutral jdarksun & MrT Victories!!!

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Woo-hoo, my first ever mafia win! I don't even care that we were pretty OP or that I got Day 1'd.

@Assuran - I played a lot of Doomtown CCG back in high school, which led me to picking up the Deadlands RPG sourcebook from the local B&N when they had some ridiculous (like 40%?) sale on hardcovers. Never actually got to play the RPG, but I read the whole thing and every other book I ended up picking up. Created a bunch of characters I never played with, too. Yep, that was teenage me. Anyway, needless to say, I will be an instant signup for your Deadlands phalla, whenever it starts.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    @Mill you have a good insight into powers.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Thanks. That gives me even more motivation to put together a phalla. I probably should do that before I get better internet, so that I can have it ready when I can count on my post count be the actual board's post count.

• Options
    Do it, sir!
    Your first?

• Options
    It would be my first phalla. I've done online RPGs before as GM, so Imagine there isn't a huge difference once one factors out all the dice rolls that aren't going to happen in a phalla.

I just need to decide on a theme. I might do a throw away theme and see how things go. I kind of what to do what others have done where I create either my own universe or expand an existing universe because I love fleshed out plots and backstories.

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    It would be my first phalla. I've done online RPGs before as GM, so Imagine there isn't a huge difference once one factors out all the dice rolls that aren't going to happen in a phalla.

I just need to decide on a theme. I might do a throw away theme and see how things go. I kind of what to do what others have done where I create either my own universe or expand an existing universe because I love fleshed out plots and backstories.

Story continuity between phalla games, the new meta. :O

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    I figure it's a good way to keep vanillagers occupied since one is bound to have a few. Then they have motivation to try to get past the eternal day one because if their guy lives, they might make a future appearance in a future game.

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I figure it's a good way to keep vanillagers occupied since one is bound to have a few. Then they have motivation to try to get past the eternal day one because if their guy lives, they might make a future appearance in a future game.

Or get castrated and brutally murdered as part of the story? >:)

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    I kind of hope the village or a neutral faction is a bus driver in your game and the mafia ends up doing to themselves. :rotate:

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I kind of hope the village or a neutral faction is a bus driver in your game and the mafia ends up doing to themselves. :rotate:

"WHAT AM I DOING !? TO MY OWN PENIS!?! RARGH!!!!!"

• Options
    u guys r craazze

• Options
    Egos wrote: »

"WHAT AM I DOING !? TO MY OWN PENIS!?! RARGH!!!!!"

"ARRRRGGGH, WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN TO MUM?! SHE TOLD ME NOT TO DRINK AND CASTRATE PEOPLE AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!" *thud* dies from a combination of soul crushing shame and blood loss.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    3 Mafia Kills and a bus-driver? hurtful, but survivable....

Oh, what's that, the converter neutral is working with them from DAY 1!?

FFFFFFUUUUUUU-!

That's just brutal. Luckily, I've taken the lessons from this and have applied them to the phalla mini I'm shaping and will be looking to run in the next month. (Yes, ongoing story is the new meta, and I like it. I like it a lot)

Also, Assuran, count me in also totally for Deadlands Phalla.
    Totally calling being a Servitor of the Reckoners. :winky:

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    what?

what do you want.

I'm planning a wedding over here.

Oh. people being stupid about not having anything to do in a game. wah wah wah.

If you can't figure it out how to use your own brain, then there's not much to help you.

There have I yelled enough?

Can I go back to giggling over my engagement ring now?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I will say that I much preference slightly unbalanced games with way too many powers around than balanced games with very little.

I think it's always a lot of fun to feel like you can do SOMETHING. Even if in the end you lose horribly to things outside your control.

I think the reason that people are partial to big crazy games has a lot to do with having a clear goal, to be honest. Think of day 1 for your average vanillager. Throw out some random vote, fart around in the thread. How many times have there been these insane, really close races between two villagers that the village was certain there was something in? Lots, and it's because a lot of players need to have a clear goal in the game. Without something that looks suspicious for them to hound, players are just sitting around making guesses, caught in an eternal day 1.

With powers, though, no matter what they are, right from the first day you're planning. You're thinking strategically about how to use them, where best to use them. You start thinking about the meta - should I guard Infidel (yes.)? Should I seer kime? The game effectively starts much earlier for you, whereas your average vanillager doesn't have the clues he needs to start doing his job until one or two mafia have died, after leaving a trail of things to comb through.

...I was thinking about this the other night which is why I have all these words here now. :P
    Bullshit, something something @infidel, something something

One of these days, I'm going to run a game, no specials, and trying to network kills you. Figure things out yourself or talki in damn public ferchristsake

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    I like the ongoing story meta. Definitely gives vanillagers something beyond "analyse the thread" to do.

• Options
    Maybe if someone, anyone would actually analyze the thread

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Maybe if someone, anyone would actually analyze the thread
    That's because it's one of the Things You Must Never Do in Phalla. The full list includes:
    • Reading the OP
    • Reading the narrations
    • Reading your role PM
    • Reading clarifcations
    • Revealing to the network head
    • Becoming the network head (unless you're mafia/the SK)
    • Analysing the thread
    • Suggesting alternatives to the current bandwagon
    • Trusting everyone
    • Not trusting everyone
    • Being more awesome than me

• Options
    No, see that list says you can't 'analyse'. It doesn't make a peep about good old fashion analyzing

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    It's almost as though different people like different things about phalla and what was once a majority thing that people liked may - as time passes and players leave and enter the game - become a minority!

I mean look. Beat your drum about "you should do analysis of votes and posts and talk in public" all you want. It's not gonna change how people play the game right now. Taking the stance of "Well I know how you're really supposed to play phalla" is pointless. Phalla's a complex game these days. Unless you straight up forbid PM conversations it's not going to lose the diplomacy aspects that the game has acquired. And I would hope it wouldn't! I like those parts of the game!

Not every player is going to be a Megafrost. Mega's come in, he obviously enjoys looking at vote records and trying to figure things out, and that's great for him. That's super useful. I'm not going to tell Saber that he's playing the game wrong because he likes to soft network like a motherfucker instead of doing vote analysis. I'm not going to tell him that he should use his brain for chrissakes and stop bitching.

I'm going to play the game. I'm gonna play it the way I like to play it. I'm going to make games that cater to the way I like to play it. I'm not going to tell someone who plays differently than me that that they don't get the game. Phalla's a huge game, with aspects of mafia, and diplomacy, and logic puzzles, and all sorts of fucking shit. And being a big, varied game like that is what draws in people.

It's all well and good to say "I played a bunch of phalla and here's how people should play it!" but either lead by example or go away. No one likes the smarmy goose who acts like they're smarter than everyone while sitting on their ass.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    THAT, was stressful >.<

Right up til the point he said I was "feeling a little monstrous already", I thought MrT was converting me to HIS side. That was somewhat game breaking, yet different and fun. There was constant worry of me screwing this up while talking to everyone, especially when posting by phone. Things just kind if aligned on day 1, like the perfect shit storm lol.

Anyway thanks for hosting stever, and thanks in advance for the grudgings I will be getting :P

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    so that happened!

I do think the mafia was overpowered, despite the regenerating vig's

But I did have fun trying to work things I and I did think SOE was mafia, so you know, at least I did some thinking this game. But overall I was far to happy to be led by someone else, so i have to take some blame for that

Also for not realizing something was wrong when MrT react so weirdly to me saying he was 'switched on' - in hindsight that was a big clue i missed.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    stever777 wrote: »
    OK, TRV's getting my grudge vote for being a monster betrayer.
    Hosts can get grudge votes, yes? :bz

Who'd I betray?

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    what?

what do you want.

I'm planning a wedding over here.

Oh. people being stupid about not having anything to do in a game. wah wah wah.

If you can't figure it out how to use your own brain, then there's not much to help you.

There have I yelled enough?

Can I go back to giggling over my engagement ring now?

Post a picture of it mom

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    as a village guard from a game where there was a mafia busdriver

fuck mafia busdrivers

A-wink

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I also felt kinda bad for day 2'ing @gizzy in his first game.

He was just the only other special we knew!

It's all good.
    I ended up role blocking the village seer day 1, oops.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Hate guessing genders!
    Hope I was mostly right.

You guessed me correctly :)

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

You can check out my or INANTP's or the seminal Phallakinetic by edcrab for games that give everyone a power/role.

Not that you have to, but you can make a game with zero vanilla villagers.

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

You can check out my or INANTP's or the seminal Phallakinetic by edcrab for games that give everyone a power/role.

Not that you have to, but you can make a game with zero vanilla villagers.

Another way to do this is giving all of your vanillagers a power, like Obi's Phallance in the Force or Premium's Dwarf Fortress.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    HP games (like Obi's most recent Star Wars mini, or every Blarnfidel game ever) are another way too, though you have to be careful in balancing it so you don't create a situation where one side wins more easily by not attacking anyone.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    That game was infuriating for so many reasons. It could not have possibly gone worse, except for maybe me vigging the seer on day 1. I can't believe i handed the keys to the network right into the mafia.

Also, why even have village guards in a game with mafia busdrivers? Their existence is actually hurting the villagers.

Thanks for hosting, Steve.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    ahhhhh I was SO suspicious of both Saber and Jdark after day 1. If only I had blocked Saber and strongly encouraged ZH to assassinate Jdark things might have turned out differently!

• Options
    OK, TRV's getting my grudge vote for being a monster betrayer.
    Hosts can get grudge votes, yes? :bz

Who'd I betray?

Me!
    MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Also, why even have village guards in a game with mafia busdrivers? Their existence is actually hurting the villagers.

Well, if the mafia knows everyone's roles and what their doing every night, yeah.

• Options
    Not every player is going to be a Megafrost. Mega's come in, he obviously enjoys looking at vote records and trying to figure things out, and that's great for him. That's super useful. I'm not going to tell Saber that he's playing the game wrong because he likes to soft network like a motherfucker instead of doing vote analysis. I'm not going to tell him that he should use his brain for chrissakes and stop bitching.

I will.
    I'm not going to tell someone who plays differently than me that that they don't get the game.

I will.
    No one likes the smarmy goose who acts like they're smarter than everyone while sitting on their ass.

I do.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah, a village guard can still be useful in a few situations. Just, protecting a public mouthpiece is probably not going to happen while the roleblocker is alive. And, of course, assuming they didn't convert the guard :/

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Betrayed by my mason partner that the host said "I can totally trust?"

Someone is getting grudged.

• Options
    But yeah, wow. The game was one big disaster for the village. Makes me glad I died day one.

• Options
    Megafrost wrote: »

Well, after your death, he had nothing to live for.

• Options
    My death was only the beginning.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Megafrost wrote: »

Well, after your death, he had nothing to live for.

hmmm

Masons that are invulnerable to conversions or other things while they are both alive? I like that idea...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile