As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: New Frozen City (Night)! New camo specs! New thread! (this one's old)

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Avynte wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    I think we have to hand over our nerd crown to these guys, they're going deep.

Psh, those guys are nowhere near peak grognard. You're just scratching the surface of what lurks within the battletech community.

Hold me D:

after running in planetary leagues for MW4 and MW4:M, I can say that stuff is very very mild to what I've seen some groups run. We had a guy who was an absolute genius with logistics and moving our resources where we needed them. I usually ran the primary drops, and if we had enough for secondary engagements one of the other officers would take that (though this was rare, we'd usually just help other teams, which means our guys ran their fights for them). Who got what mechs and their specs depended on the type of fight and who was there for the night, not to mention what we had available on that particular planet.

It was a lot of work to organize at times, but it is still some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game to this day. And we were actually fairly loose with our organization, some of the groups were absolutely insane with restrictions (ex: you can't drive a mech unless you reach a certain proficiency/rank) and the like. That kind of stuff just wasn't very fun for us.

So yeah, to each their own and all. I don't mind structure, and I'm not saying we need to do anything dramatically different than what's been talked about so far, but I'm here to have fun and blow shit up. :)

253J736.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Loved running matches with everyone last night. A few complete stomps, got stomped once or twice (including that one round where both teams were down to 5 mechs and then I think one of ours disconnected and the other 4 just got annihilated), but one of the best had to be where it came down to 2 mechs per team and ours took out theirs in what was primarily a pair of duels (okay the last guy got double teamed once the first fight finished but it was too close to leave up to chance).

Current goal is to finish up the exp needed at least to get my second and third Centurions done on their Elite skills, then I might take the cash saved up and buy a new mech to begin the process all over again (not too worried about going full Masters on them just yet). 2 million on hand so far, so I half want to get into a Jenner or something speedy and light, otherwise I'm tempted to hit up a Heavy and enjoy having something that packs a bit more of a punch. Perhaps a catapult, as I do enjoy missile boating a lot, especially since it's not terribly uncommon for the crew to run with at least one TAG, especially once its established that fire support is available on demand.

Part of me kind of wants to wait for the next Hero Mech to be released, as these MC funbux are burning a bit of a hole in my pocket.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Taking my premium bonus out of the equation, I am making in the 150k-200k range gross for a very good match (IE a win with 3-4 kills). Which I have to agree is a little on the stingy side.

My typical 200-300 damage game (with a few assists and maybe a kill) in a win nets me right around 100k. I think it's real close to feeling right, although I'd completely understand if PGI already felt that way. I think upping the payout another 10% would be really nice.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    well i must say, the pug matches are decent this time of day. just ran a couple quick rounds while home for lunch and both games were good.

no real orginization, but people stuck together and played smart. very impressed.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    wreckzorswreckzors Registered User regular
    I have been playing nothing but pug games since I got started. I have played a few games with Velxir (aka: Ilovepandas) but mainly alone. My games will net me anywhere from 70k before repairs to 190k before repairs. There are a lot of games where our team gets stomped, but I feel like my win/loss ratio is pretty even.... I do cringe quite often when I realize I did the most damage on the team in my raven... but you know.

• Options
    sparklesparkle Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    MegaMek wrote: »
    I think the hardpoint restrictions (and, you know, the models/hitboxes) are enough to differentiate the chassis and variants; giving some a flat-out better capacity for engine upgrades seems excessive.

See, I think that engine restrictions go well with hardpoint restrictions. Some mechs have TONS of weapon hardpoints (like the hunchback), while others have relatively few (like the centurion). Allowing a different range of engines per chassis does a lot to individualize them. What's the point of the Cicada chassis, if any other medium can go just as fast.
    I think I would have done it completely differently. speed shouldn't be totally dependent on just engine size. In fact, I'd have speed be dependent on leg actuators and the weight of the mech, torso turn rate dependent on torso actuators, resistance to tripping and mech turn rate dependent on the gyro, and upgrading all of those (to include upgrading energy weapons) would add demand for more engine power and create more heat that would need sinking. Building a fast mech would mean putting in the biggest leg motors, and cutting as much weight as possible from the rest of the frame. Might not be cannon, but neither is the current system. As it is now, you always want to maximize your allowed weight.

• Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Man, I want to like the Dragon. I really do. I always seem to do ~pretty well~ with it, but I can't manage more than that. With the Centurion I either wind up with multiple kills and 400+ damage or I walk off the edge of the base while zoomed in and catch 800 LRMs in the face really quickly. With the Dragon I always end up with 200-400 damage dealt and my entire 'mech flashing red by the end. I just don't feel like I've got the necessary punch with the Dragon--the AC/10 is reliable and low-heat but only deals 10 damage per volley.

I'm tempted to work out a PPC build for the Dragon and see if I can't combine the two. I learned I'm not the only PAer running PPCs these days, either; we had a PPC Cat for a few games there.

I've had pretty good success the last couple of days in an ER PPC armed Centurion -AL. It's definitely not a cheap build to use, but I found that if you're good with a Gauss rifle, you're good with a PPC.

245 Standard Engine
    Endo-Steel
    Double Heatsinks

ER PPC
    3x Small Lasers
    2x Streak SRM-2, 2 tons of ammo
    6x Double Heatsinks (total of 16 on chassis)
    Full armor except on legs, which are at 39 points each

It goes 79.4 kph before speed efficiencies, has enough heat dissipation to sustain sniper fire, and Streaks + Small Lasers give a good close-range punch as a backup. An XL engine might help, but is a bit expensive for me right now.
    I use a dual-PPC Centurion as my main 'mech. Standard engine, standard structure, double sinks, and two PPCs. I've been waiting to mess with it further until after the double heat sink buff.

I wouldn't use ER PPCs in a team game, though--you're paying half again as much heat for no extra damage. When someone gets in under my minimum range, I mosey on over towards my teammates and let them deal with it. Meanwhile I'm pumping out far more damage than an ER PPC setup and have twice the alpha.

I may very well be mistaken, but I am pretty sure double heat sinks are getting a nerf

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Any hint of when the patch is dropping yet?

Also, I'm curious to those founders members: how much of your MC have you spent so far? I only bought one mech with it so far, but that number sits there, mocking me. I have garage slots, so I must fill them... but I feel like I should hoard them for now.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Seruko wrote: »
    I may very well be mistaken, but I am pretty sure double heat sinks are getting a nerf

You are mostly mistaken.

They are nerfed compared to their capability in the tabletop game.

They are getting buffed in the sense that the ones inside your 'mech's engine will no longer just function as singles no matter what.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Seruko wrote: »
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Man, I want to like the Dragon. I really do. I always seem to do ~pretty well~ with it, but I can't manage more than that. With the Centurion I either wind up with multiple kills and 400+ damage or I walk off the edge of the base while zoomed in and catch 800 LRMs in the face really quickly. With the Dragon I always end up with 200-400 damage dealt and my entire 'mech flashing red by the end. I just don't feel like I've got the necessary punch with the Dragon--the AC/10 is reliable and low-heat but only deals 10 damage per volley.

I'm tempted to work out a PPC build for the Dragon and see if I can't combine the two. I learned I'm not the only PAer running PPCs these days, either; we had a PPC Cat for a few games there.

I've had pretty good success the last couple of days in an ER PPC armed Centurion -AL. It's definitely not a cheap build to use, but I found that if you're good with a Gauss rifle, you're good with a PPC.

245 Standard Engine
    Endo-Steel
    Double Heatsinks

ER PPC
    3x Small Lasers
    2x Streak SRM-2, 2 tons of ammo
    6x Double Heatsinks (total of 16 on chassis)
    Full armor except on legs, which are at 39 points each

It goes 79.4 kph before speed efficiencies, has enough heat dissipation to sustain sniper fire, and Streaks + Small Lasers give a good close-range punch as a backup. An XL engine might help, but is a bit expensive for me right now.
    I use a dual-PPC Centurion as my main 'mech. Standard engine, standard structure, double sinks, and two PPCs. I've been waiting to mess with it further until after the double heat sink buff.

I wouldn't use ER PPCs in a team game, though--you're paying half again as much heat for no extra damage. When someone gets in under my minimum range, I mosey on over towards my teammates and let them deal with it. Meanwhile I'm pumping out far more damage than an ER PPC setup and have twice the alpha.

Depends how many you use in your build. If you currently mount more than six outside your engine, it's a nerf. If less, it's a buff.

Also, I'm curious to those founders members: how much of your MC have you spent so far? I only bought one mech with it so far, but that number sits there, mocking me. I have garage slots, so I must fill them... but I feel like I should hoard them for now.

Patching usually starts at 10am Pacific, if I remember right. So 2pm Eastern - about an hour from now.

I haven't spent any MC yet. Just piling up C-Bills with my Founder's Catapult for now. I'm saving MC for things that can only be gotten with MC - premium time and garage slots, mostly, I imagine.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

Patching usually starts at 10am Pacific, if I remember right. So 2pm Eastern - about an hour from now.

I haven't spent any MC yet. Just piling up C-Bills with my Founder's Catapult for now. I'm saving MC for things that can only be gotten with MC - premium time and garage slots, mostly, I imagine.

I have no regrets about spending some of my MC to get a Hunchback on day 1. I'm now sitting on 6 C-Bill-purchased mechs that I earned on the back of my Hunchy, with 2 XL engines purchased and another on the way tonight. I'm rapidly approaching my preferred stable of mechs, with plenty of room to expand to new chassis once they drop.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    It's a BURF.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I guess I just don't earn CB fast enough; I've cobbled together about 7M worth, but dropped it all into upgrades/weapons for my founders mechs or my A1 Cat.

• Options
    ThumpenThumpen Registered User regular
    RAW UPDATIUM! PRAISE THE DEVS!

By which I mean the forums are down and I assume they'll be patching in short order.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I used some of my Founders' MC to pick a Yen-Lo-Wang. Kind of like @Supraluminal, I'm saving my MC for things that can only be bought with MC. In my case, I suspect it will mostly be garage slots, hero mechs, and maybe a few cosmetic items.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

I have no regrets about spending some of my MC to get a Hunchback on day 1. I'm now sitting on 6 C-Bill-purchased mechs that I earned on the back of my Hunchy, with 2 XL engines purchased and another on the way tonight. I'm rapidly approaching my preferred stable of mechs, with plenty of room to expand to new chassis once they drop.

I have no idea how you've managed this. I've played quite a bit, have only bought the DHS upgrades and still had to purchase 2 Atlas variants with MC money.

I only have 3 mill now.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I guess I just don't earn CB fast enough; I've cobbled together about 7M worth, but dropped it all into upgrades/weapons for my founders mechs or my A1 Cat.

Volume of games plays a big part in it. Plus I make anywhere from 150-200k net profit per match on average, which can add up quick (PA matches almost exclusively). Laserbacks are also really cheap to run, even with an XL. Now that I'm running the Hunchback 4SP as a Laserback build with 5 MLAS and a STD 260 engine, it's even cheaper - it's like the Honda Civic of Mechs. And yet it's still amazingly effective (or at least it was, until DHS gets nerfed :'()

@Valiantheart - Unfortunately, the Atlas is generally a terrible money maker. It costs so much to maintain it that it limits your actual profit each match. Mediums are where it's at for the C-Bill grind.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm not even sure I'll be buying more than maybe one garage slot. Based on the current array of 'mechs they're going to bring out, I can't imagine wanting more than maybe 3 of them. And of those, I'm not sure I'd buy them all.

Like the 4SP. I really like that 'mech, but it seems like the Cat is just a better LRM boat all the way around.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Tox wrote: »
    I'm not even sure I'll be buying more than maybe one garage slot. Based on the current array of 'mechs they're going to bring out, I can't imagine wanting more than maybe 3 of them. And of those, I'm not sure I'd buy them all.

Like the 4SP. I really like that 'mech, but it seems like the Cat is just a better LRM boat all the way around.

If you want to upgrade your "favorite" chassis to its maximum effectiveness, and still have a couple of alternate mechs, you're probably going to need at least a few extra slots beyond the basic 4.

I'm saving 3 slots for the Cataphract, because I fully expect to fall head-over-heals for that chassis. A real Heavy Laserboat plus room for a Gauss or AC/5? Yes PLEASE.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    I spent funny money to buy my first mech, the all laser Jenner variant.
    Once I got a 300xl engine in it I actually really started to enjoy running around the map playing scout. I have gotten really good at just being one of those punks that light up an enemy mech long enough to get them to chase me around the map.
    For all the fun I have had doing that people in larger mechs should have just straight up ignored me. 6 small lasers do piss for damage. It looks like it should be a lot but I have rarely killed anyone that wasn't standing still in that variant.

I picked up the 2 missle hard point Jenner variant next and tried out this supposedly wonderfull "streak" business. I found it to be increadeably lacking. Now it may just be that without all my xp upgrades I was playing a bit poorer but 2 streaks just didn't seem to do any more damage that what I was getting away with with my 6 small laser boat.

After all that I got the last Jenner varient with one hard point and after I had leveled it up I played around with a SRM6. Suddenly I was actually dealing damage and getting an occasionaly kill that wasn't based on someone else pounding on my current target.

Switched back to the 2 missle point variant and used double srm4's and now, now! a light freaking mech is constantly scoring in the middle of the damage board, getting kills and making the other lights weep when I hit them from behind.

And what will happen today?

With the netcode rollback, I have no idea. I didn't start till open beta so I don't know how that older code "feels".

I believe light laser mechs are going to hit me a lot more consitantly. I am also going to have to be more careful about those all laser hunch backs, but otherwise I expect to keep up the same harrasment I have been getting so good at.

• Options
    I forget is collision back in today or no?

• Options
    One question, Do you get different reward c-bills for the class of mech you are running? The most I have every made from a match was $150k but its usually around $130k for a good win. Considering my repair costs are around $70k when I get killed I can actually loose money if the team looses. And thats all in a Jenner!

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I am so going to pick up the classic 3 PPC Awesome once I pile up another 2 million cbills. I don't care how crappy PPCs are right now I just love that mech. Got in a few rounds with it in the closed beta and it was one of my favorites from the tabletop.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    One question, Do you get different reward c-bills for the class of mech you are running? The most I have every made from a match was $150k but its usually around $130k for a good win. Considering my repair costs are around $70k when I get killed I can actually loose money if the team looses. And thats all in a Jenner!

No, there's only 3 ways to boost how much you earn per match:

1. Founders mech, and/or
    2. Premium membership, or
    3. Using the Yen Lo Wang, which confers a 30% CB boost

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    You get 70k for a loss on top of whatever other performances have going on, so I can't say unless I was using ferro fibrous I've ever actually lost money.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    What the hell?

I get MAYBE 70k for a loss, and 100k for a win, if I do particularly well.

Usually it's around 65k/85k.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    You get 70k for a loss on top of whatever other performances have going on, so I can't say unless I was using ferro fibrous I've ever actually lost money.

300xl engine
    Ferro armor
    endo steel internals

$74k repair bill one time.

Ohh and a horrible horrible team vs a perfect premade means a meager 60k for loosing.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    wreckzorswreckzors Registered User regular
    I don't think I have ever lost money either unless I was running ferro.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Rend wrote: »
    What the hell?

Premium time. 50% more C-Bills per match, win or lose. Add on another 25% for Founders mechs, or 30% if you're running the Wang.

100k seems kinda low, unless you're running a Heavy/Assault and you've got high repair bills after each game.

@Blood Drive Get thee off of Farrah Fawcett armor post haste!

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Thumpen wrote: »
    RAW UPDATIUM! PRAISE THE DEVS!

By which I mean the forums are down and I assume they'll be patching in short order.

They're having DNS issues. Expected patch at 1pm PST if everything gets sorted out.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    If you are using the trial mechs they have substantially reduced rewards.

• Options

ive only spent MC on the AS7-K to get a leg up since my time is limited. still have a load of MC sitting around. Gonna save it for when i want a premium mech or a new standard one that comes out and i really want, but dont have the bills for.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    @Blood Drive Get thee off of Farrah Fawcett armor post haste!

But! But! Then I can't have max armor and all the toys!

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I spent funny money to buy my first mech, the all laser Jenner variant.
    Once I got a 300xl engine in it I actually really started to enjoy running around the map playing scout. I have gotten really good at just being one of those punks that light up an enemy mech long enough to get them to chase me around the map.
    For all the fun I have had doing that people in larger mechs should have just straight up ignored me. 6 small lasers do piss for damage. It looks like it should be a lot but I have rarely killed anyone that wasn't standing still in that variant.

I picked up the 2 missle hard point Jenner variant next and tried out this supposedly wonderfull "streak" business. I found it to be increadeably lacking. Now it may just be that without all my xp upgrades I was playing a bit poorer but 2 streaks just didn't seem to do any more damage that what I was getting away with with my 6 small laser boat.

After all that I got the last Jenner varient with one hard point and after I had leveled it up I played around with a SRM6. Suddenly I was actually dealing damage and getting an occasionaly kill that wasn't based on someone else pounding on my current target.

Switched back to the 2 missle point variant and used double srm4's and now, now! a light freaking mech is constantly scoring in the middle of the damage board, getting kills and making the other lights weep when I hit them from behind.

And what will happen today?

With the netcode rollback, I have no idea. I didn't start till open beta so I don't know how that older code "feels".

I believe light laser mechs are going to hit me a lot more consitantly. I am also going to have to be more careful about those all laser hunch backs, but otherwise I expect to keep up the same harrasment I have been getting so good at.

I just started a couple days ago and picked up the 3 missile commando. Went triple streak and have felt like I do pretty great damage, but only if I can single someone out. Currently deciding between keeping my mlas or trying to switch it out with a tag or going AMS.

Also, have kind of a weird question I'm not sure about. So I've got two streaks in my arm, and one streak on my torso, so the arm ones use the circle for targeting and the torso would use the +, if I get a lock from my arm will that also let my torso streaks fire? I might have to test that when I get home because I kinda feel like it's not, but I haven't counted the missiles. Also, if this is how it works would a TAG fix that, don't think TAGs impact ssrms.

They really need an offline mode you can test this kinda stuff in.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    What the hell?

Non-trial mechs get base 80k for a loss and 100k for a win, they also are generally better so you get more of the contribution based rewards.
    TheGerbil wrote: »

300xl engine
    Ferro armor
    endo steel internals

$74k repair bill one time.

Ohh and a horrible horrible team vs a perfect premade means a meager 60k for loosing.

Ferro Fibrus is ridiculously expensive to repair, if you dropped it for standard you'd probably see your repairs go to 40-50k.

• Options

ive only earned about 9 million bills total. and that includes selling a couple of the engines out of my founders mechs.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    How much is premium membership?

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    How much is premium membership?

2500 MC for a month, about $11.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Like, with just the four standard 'mech bays, I can max out two chassis, and still have room for two alternates. And right now that's going to be the Cat C4, a Stalker chassis, and then maybe a trebuchet or 4SP, depending. If another 'mech comes along that I love, I'll consider buying another garage slot to max it out, then go back to where I was.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    My assault mech of choice is going to be the Stalker -- if it ever releases.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)