As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: New Frozen City (Night)! New camo specs! New thread! (this one's old)

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Rend wrote: »
    Maybe by "private" they mean "only accessible from within the realm of existence." Perhaps entities from outside of space-time cannot see the list. They're safe from Cthulhu, perhaps.

That list is a private member of the Prime Material Plane object.

Man, a combination D&D/comp sci joke, posted in reply to a combination semantics/Cthulhu joke about a website containing a roster for a video game team. I think we may have hit Peak Nerd here. 8->

(FYI, you guys only get the "smug/adoring" emoticon because the heart seems to be broken.)

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    That group who were compiling dossiers on other groups are bad at websites.

We'll need to add this weakness to their dossier.
    Add it to this:
    This is a list of currently active members of the group. I will try to keep it up to date. If you don't have all of these folks on your friends list, go ahead and add them/look for them in c3. Note that some folks have different names in c3 vs. MWO so if you aren't sure, ask! I'll also add IRL names for everyone as it helps keeps people straight. If you want me to take down your IRL name just let me know, but this is private for now. (emphasis added)

(list of names)

ooooh, linky?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Legitimately, though, one of the first questions he asked me:

"Do you guys have an org chart?"

"Do you not know what 'irregular' means?"

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    They have an org chart, I can't look at it unless my half-arsed application is accepted though. Ditto their after action reports and dossier on DeathInc.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    We should make one with positions like director of butts and chief wiener officer and stuff.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2012
    PA'ers in game

are not on the vent server

don't you hate pubbies?

Tox on
  • Options
    I might hop on vent in a bit.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I pub sometimes if I don't have a lot of time to play. If I hop on vent, I don't want to be on just for 2 or 3 games.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I pub sometimes if I don't have a lot of time to play. If I hop on vent, I don't want to be on just for 2 or 3 games.

We get plenty of people who hop in for just a couple of games. As long as it's not just a bunch of full groups, getting into a game with PAers is usually pretty easy. While I have pubbed it up on rare occasion, I'll always hit up vent if there are people online. Even for just a couple of games.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how the 4-player group matchmaking affects pub games. Hopefully the solo experience will be less terrible, though I seriously doubt the majority of solo players will get any better ;-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Legitimately, though, one of the first questions he asked me:

"Do you guys have an org chart?"

"Do you not know what 'irregular' means?"

Pretty sure our "org chart" is basically "man, why am *I* always the group leader?" when somebody leaves.

Or we could use this proposed org chart:
    1. Petra
    2. Guys

It has multiple advantages: succinctness, accuracy, and keeping as much as possible a secret.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I really can't find any clear info about this that's not horribly out of date or obfuscated, so let me just confirm. What do I need to correct here about efficiencies?

EDITED:

- You must complete 8/8 Basic on three variants of a chassis (example: CPLT-A1, C1, C4, K2) to unlock Elite for that chassis (CPLT).
    - You must complete 4/4 Elite on three variants of a chassis to unlock Master for that chassis.
    - Completing the master slot unlocks it for that chassis.
    - Mastering a chassis does not provide any bonuses or unlocks for other chassis in the weight class.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    If I may suggest a working organization chart?
                      Commander
                    Senior General  
                      Jr General 
                       Admiral
                       Corporal
                     Lieutenant 1
                     Lieutenant 2    
                      Sergeant 1
                      Sergeant 2
                      Sergeant 3
       Lance Commander  Major   Lance Commander
      Lancer     Lancer       Lancer      Lancer
       Lancer   Lancer         Lancer    Lancer

Rend on
  • Options
    What you did there.

I SEE IT.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Rend wrote: »
    If I may suggest a working organization chart?
                      Commander
                    Senior General  
                      Jr General 
                       Admiral
                       Corporal
                     Lieutenant 1
                     Lieutenant 2    
                      Sergeant 1
                      Sergeant 2
                      Sergeant 3
       Lance Commander  Major   Lance Commander
      Lancer     Lancer       Lancer      Lancer
       Lancer   Lancer         Lancer    Lancer

very nice.

Tox on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Tox.

TOX.

Look harder.
    Or are you suggesting it should not be straight?

Edit: hahaha, Tox got it :)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Tox.

TOX.

Look deeper.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    i already called dibs on Rear Admiral. its mine!

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    in fact...

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    there. title changed.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    will we need more vent channles temporarily until groups of 4 can merge to groups of 8?

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    will we need more vent channles temporarily until groups of 4 can merge to groups of 8?

what a weird change.

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    ...seriously, this is relevant to my interests and how many mech slots I have to buy. Help. :/

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    @tuxkamen; you should only need to buy variants of that chassis to get them up to master.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    So, yeah... Halo 4 totally comes out tonight. This means I will not be stomping with you guys for a while.

I can feel your judgement from here, stop it

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    The next couple of weeks are probably a good time not to play anyway as the matchmaking changes hit. Waiting until that all settles down might not be a bad idea; it's not like I couldn't use the time to study for the three tests I have in the next week and a half.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    It is my sincere hope that having teams be 50/50 pre/pug will actually help people get better at this game.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Keep in mind it isnt exaclty half premade half pug. it is totally possible to have a full team of two oosik lances depending pn the matchmaker. Or did they say they would only pur one group pn a team and fill out the rest with exclusively lone wolfs?

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Those that are still interested in mech-stompy should hop on now.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Keep in mind it isnt exaclty half premade half pug. it is totally possible to have a full team of two oosik lances depending pn the matchmaker. Or did they say they would only pur one group pn a team and fill out the rest with exclusively lone wolfs?

I think they said the goal was to put no more than one group in each team, unless they're all smaller ones.

• Options
    Even if they do put two groups of four together, chances are they won't be on the same coms and it'll be a lot better than facing a team of eight.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    I had forgotten how fun mechs were. It is not a mistake I will make again.

• Options
    Apparently the dragonregimente is doing a training session tonight or something.

If you see 'Nachturnus' core him. Quickly.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Seruko wrote: »
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Seruko wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Behold the post-DHS Dragon 1-C:
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 AC/10 w/ 3 tons of ammo
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

I'm trying to put this back into my Dragon and now it magically doesn't fit. I'm now two critical slots short for zero reason.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?

did you remember to put two DHS in your engine?

some of these things I just don't get, Like do you literally put them in the same space as your engine?

Some engines have space for extra heat sinks that are now not used right away. The earlier versions of the game gave by default the number that came from the engine size and did not require externally placed sinks. So if you have extra spaces, planting a heat sink in the center torso in mech lab will plant those in the engine. If you had less than a certain rated engine you had to place some in the mech slots to carry at least the required ten.

Engines are required to have at least ten heat sinks, and for every 25 tons one can be placed in the engine space. So a 250 has all ten inside, a 300 has space for two more.

That help?

This is ENORMOUSLY HELPFUL. Thank you very much.
    ---
    There are a million little things to learn about this game, and that's probably why I am digging it so much currently.
    How the Damage/armor model works, how criticals work, lasers as DoT's vs weird aiming on Ballistics, streaks vs shotgun srms, lrms and locking,
    mech building mech building mech building, engine/heat sinks, tactics vs cbill tactics vs mech specific xp/gxp vs the cost of repairing your mech.
    ---
    why would anyone run regular srms, when streaks are just... better.
    ---

Damage and armor. There are different hit areas on the mech, head, arms, legs, left, right and center front and rear torsos. Armor covers each of those areas and has a certain number of points. Peel the armor and you have internal structure. Which also has points. The open bay doors on the catapults and centurions can let damage go internal without first stripping armor.

Criticals are working differently than table top. If you don't know how that worked then we can ignore it. The slots in the mech can contain equipment. The equipment will have ten points of structure that when damaged are destroyed.

Ammo explosions can damage a lot of internals and leftover damage will transfer to the next section, so ammo in the left torso can also destroy the center, unless case is involved. CASE will contain or blow the damage away from the center.

Lasers have to be held on the target for the duration of their attack to apply their whole damage. Pulse lasers have a shorter attack duration, but generate more heat and weigh more.

Ballistics have travel time and need to be led. There are also problems with the netcode, so lag and strangeness with that will cause problems.

Streaks and LRM both lock on and will run to the target as long as lock is held. SRMs are dumb fire, so require a little leading. Also catapults and centurions have missile bay doors that take a little time to open.

Mech building is going to depend on a number of factors. Your play style and what you can afford are the big ones.

We can cover engine types, heat sinks and other fun topics in another post if you like.

*edit* and your last question. Streaks are less missiles, but usually guaranteed damage. So if you can lock, they are eating it.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    @Seruko also check the links in the bottom of the OP. That's what they're there for.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    What's the hard counter to streak cats? Gaussapaults? LRM boats?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    What's the hard counter to streak cats? Gaussapaults? LRM boats?

What do you mean? The best way to beat them? LRMs, and group assault. Give them too many opponents and if they don't have any backup (and they usually seem not to), then they're probably hosed.

• Options
    So, yeah... Halo 4 totally comes out tonight. This means I will not be stomping with you guys for a while.

I can feel your judgement from here, stop it

halo? what are you, some kind of frat boy?

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    It also doesn't hurt to engage them outside of their effective range, so LLas and UAC5, AC/10, Gauss, PPCs, all that. Anything that can hit well outside of 270m is helpful. If you keep them at bay, they can't do anything.

• Options
    also, speed is king! mostly... somewhat...

kx3klFE.png