Options

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4B.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    looking up disney princess group shots trying to find a single picture with a poc princess in front u_u;;

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    1) that's not what "beg the question" means

...Fuck.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Asajj Ventress was my favorite character in the original clone wars.

She's excellent in theAFASWFAUSGKSAHGOLSHGSG

Sorry, I can't make out that gibberish.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    looking up disney princess group shots trying to find a single picture with a poc princess in front u_u;;

i almost edited out "in front" but jasmine exists

• Options
    BusterK wrote: »
    Odds the lead of the next Star Wars movie is Johnny Depp

but i would have to watch star wars then

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I wonder what the odds are that Episode VII will have had Leia develop as a Jedi during the time skip?

I know she does a little in the EU, but I got the impression that she doesn't really fully commit to it (I may be wrong though).

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Lars wrote: »
    I wonder what the odds are that Episode VII will have had Leia develop as a Jedi during the time skip?

I know she does a little in the EU, but I got the impression that she doesn't really fully commit to it (I may be wrong though).

she doesn't at first

after she retires from her political career she becomes a full-fledged jedi knight

Shorty on
  • Options
    She sort of half and halves it, mainly due to also having a shitton of political responsibilities.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

all%20the%20princesses.jpg

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

There's what, Pochahontas, Mulan, Jasmine, Tiana...

Does Tiger Lily count?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

also Pocahontas, Mulan, and Tiana

though Pocahontas and Mulan are often left out

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

she doesn't at first

after she retires from her political career she becomes a full-fledged jedi knight

That's not set in stone for the movies. They'll ignore it entirely if they want a different background for her (if they mention it at all).

Does Tiger Lily count?

I don't think so.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Pocahantas is shooting the lady next to her a dirty look

• Options

Does Tiger Lily count?

is pocahontas a princess

or mulan

i don't think i've ever seen them in princess group shots

• Options
    tiana....

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Apparently you don't actually have to be a princess to qualify as a Disney Princess. I'm pretty sure Disney has included Alice (of Wonderland fame) in the Princess line at some point.

• Options
    actually wasnt esmerelda a disney princess at some point???? i swear she was one of them when i was a kid

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I watched blazing saddles for the first time a few months ago.

it's probably the most overrated comedy film ever made.

yes the most influential comedy of the last 50 years and widly regared by critics as one of the funniest ever made is definitely what I too would consider overrated
    *shrug*
    it had some funny stuff, and one really clever bit that I don't even remember now, but I was thoroughly underwhelmed after decades of hearing "one of the funniest ever made"

Yeah, that still makes you wrong.

If you had said 'it didn't grab me', that would be a personal opinion.
    You said 'it's probably the most overrated comedy film ever made'.

Which smacks of projected personal bias in making a sweeping cultural statement in defiance of hundreds of critics, millions of viewers, and decades of cultural art analysis.

So your statement is basically ignorant and wrong.

You're still allowed to not like it. Just don't be an idiot and pass cultural judgement upon it, because you are clearly ill-equipped to speak for, well, anyone but yourself.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Technically, Pocahontas is the chieftians daughter, which KINDA makes her a Princess, right?

Right?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Does Tiger Lily count?

is pocahontas a princess

or mulan

i don't think i've ever seen them in princess group shots

I'm pretty sure they're considered princesses, yes.

I mean, Belle is considered a princess, even though the Beast seems to be a prince in name only. It's not like he rules over anything. He's more like an incredibly rich dude with a bunch of servants.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Technically, Pocahontas is the chieftians daughter, which KINDA makes her a Princess, right?

Right?

That's closer to being a princess then Mulan and Tiana.

• Options
    yo guys I'm pretty sure the Disney Princesses are just the leading female characters that little girls are most likely to nag their parents to buy

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Esmeralda is far too sexy to be a Disney Princess.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    yo guys I'm pretty sure the Disney Princesses are just the leading female characters that little girls are most likely to nag their parents to buy

Exactly.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I just read cracked today

Huh. R2D2 could do everything but speak. That's funny.

Rest of the article was loaded with bullshit though
    The T-X had weapons AND the ability to control machines; plus a endoskeleton meant it couldn't get completely frozen (which stopped and fucked up the T1000 in Terminator 2.. or at least in the directors cut.)

Data was NOT designed to serve on a starship (and certainly wasn't designed with emotions). He was designed to be a synthetic being with no stated goal other than to exist. Having super strength wasn't a flaw; it was just the result of how he was designed.

Still, that does beg the question of why R2 units couldn't talk.

1) that's not what "beg the question" means

2) any number of reasons. just make one up, it's fiction. maybe a voice modulator is bulky. maybe using one would take more computing power than it's worth. maybe the astromech language is more efficient than any spoken language.

The thing I love about the treatment of sentient robots in the Star Wars universe is that no one gives a shit
    They're machines that people use and that's it
    The reason R2-D2 doesn't talk is because he doesn't need to, he's meant to interact with the outside of spaceships
    The only reason C3-PO talks is because that's his job
    The droids aren't programmed with personalities either
    Having a personality is just the result of being complex enough to do the job they were built for
    Droids are specifically even memory wiped so that their owners don't have to deal with a machine that talks back

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

Right?

Tiana married a prince

But Mulan yeah

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

speaking of inappropriately sexy disney characters

when I was a kid, I was reaaaally uncomfortable anytime Ursula was onscreen in the little mermaid

but mostly the scene where she sings poor unfortunate souls

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Right?

Uh what

Tiana marries a prince

How the fuck is she not a princess

• Options
    honestly disney should just let disney princess mean 'female disney protagonist' because if they go with the strictest meaning then its ALL white ineffectual ladies, if they define it by their older, iconic properties than thats STILL exclusively ineffectual white ladies and if they even define it so loosely as 'a member of their culture's royalty' youve got FEMINISM problems

but mostly because i want esmerelda dolls again

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Guys,
    Disney Princess just means the lead female in a Disney movie
    That's all
    There's no technical qualifications for it

Talk about droids some more

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options

when I was a kid, I was reaaaally uncomfortable anytime Ursula was onscreen in the little mermaid

ursula and the drag queen she was based off of were both the greatest ugh

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Hunchback of Notre Dame has inappropriately sexy poledancing and inappropriate attempts to murder the poor in order to coerce said dancer into sex

it's the best Disney film

• Options
    uhhhh no it wasnt ...sry man..

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    actually wasnt esmerelda a disney princess at some point???? i swear she was one of them when i was a kid

I found this

draft_lens16190301module138706041photo_1291668637zizziglers1.jpg

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote: »
    Guys,
    Disney Princess just means the lead female in a Disney movie
    That's all
    There's no technical qualifications for it

Talk about droids some more

I would reformat my computer constantly if it became sentient after a year of use.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

Right?

Tiana married a prince

But Mulan yeah

My mistake.
    honestly disney should just let disney princess mean 'female disney protagonist' because if they go with the strictest meaning then its ALL white ineffectual ladies, if they define it by their older, iconic properties than thats STILL exclusively ineffectual white ladies and if they even define it so loosely as 'a member of their culture's royalty' youve got FEMINISM problems

but mostly because i want esmerelda dolls again

They had a great princess secondary protagonist in John Carter.

• Options

ursula and the drag queen she was based off of were both the greatest ugh

I did not know this but it makes perfect sense

• Options
    Hunchback of Notre Dame has inappropriately sexy poledancing and inappropriate attempts to murder the poor in order to coerce said dancer into sex

it's the best Disney film

chicks dig a guy who murders poors

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i hated ursula

i remember when i was at disney as a little kid i had a knockoff lightsaber at night and was at one of the parades at night with my parents

an ursula float went by and i turned on my lightsaber and waved it at it to try to fight her

• Options
    edited November 2012
    According to the wiki, the following are Disney Princesses.

Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Cinderella, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Snow White, Tiana, and Rapunzel.

POC ladies make up almost half the list, so that's not as bad as I was thinking.

But you rarely, if ever, see more than two of them in a single advert, far as I can tell.

Goatmon on

This discussion has been closed.