As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do We Have A Beer Thread? I Want to Talk About Beer Now

• Options
    spec2spec2 Painted in my tiger skin Especially in MichiganRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    user wrote: »
    So I don't often have access to mid-west beers here in SoCal, recently Bells has begun to show up and many of their offerings have been pretty tasty, also I was gifted some New Glarus Serendipty, and it was definitely among the best fruit beer that I have had the pleasure of sipping.
    The Judge wrote: »
    I don't mean to be the guy that buys beer based on a good name, but when you see a 12% stout called Even More Jesus . . .

If you realltly enjoyed it check out the four pack of 12 oz. 'I Love You With My Stout' which is also by Evil Twin, it is the exact same recipe as Even More Jesus, but by volume about half the price. Why? I don't know exactly, but I imagine that contracting as a gypsie brewer can end up being a bit convoluted.

I'm of the opinion that Bell's is the best brewery in Michigan, but Great Lakes edges them out for best in the Mid-West. I haven't gotten to really try stuff from New Glarus though, and I've only heard good things.

Really? Bell's edges out Founder's? I mean, I'm more of a Bell's fan myself, but I thought I was in the minority on that head-to-head.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty excited that my favorite local brewery has finally bottled their third and last year-round beer, their bock. Now I just have to wait for them to start bottling their seasonal beers and I'll be all set.
    10562638_787812904575262_3299816190766129592_o.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    spec2 wrote: »
    So I don't often have access to mid-west beers here in SoCal, recently Bells has begun to show up and many of their offerings have been pretty tasty, also I was gifted some New Glarus Serendipty, and it was definitely among the best fruit beer that I have had the pleasure of sipping.
    I don't mean to be the guy that buys beer based on a good name, but when you see a 12% stout called Even More Jesus . . .

If you realltly enjoyed it check out the four pack of 12 oz. 'I Love You With My Stout' which is also by Evil Twin, it is the exact same recipe as Even More Jesus, but by volume about half the price. Why? I don't know exactly, but I imagine that contracting as a gypsie brewer can end up being a bit convoluted.

I'm of the opinion that Bell's is the best brewery in Michigan, but Great Lakes edges them out for best in the Mid-West. I haven't gotten to really try stuff from New Glarus though, and I've only heard good things.

Really? Bell's edges out Founder's? I mean, I'm more of a Bell's fan myself, but I thought I was in the minority on that head-to-head.

I think so. I hardly ever buy Founders beer anymore. It does end up coming down to personal preference, but there are a lot more beers in the Bell's line-up that I enjoy than in the Founders line-up. Maybe Founders has a couple better individual beers (KBS), but Bell's has Two-Hearted and Oberon and Hopslam and so many great beers.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm pretty excited that my favorite local brewery has finally bottled their third and last year-round beer, their bock. Now I just have to wait for them to start bottling their seasonal beers and I'll be all set.
    10562638_787812904575262_3299816190766129592_o.jpg

I don't think I've had any of those.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Going by their website, their stuff is only available in the DFW area (and here, of course)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Founder's wipes the floor with Bell's in my opinion.

Bell's is good, don't get me wrong, but Founder's is incredible.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Bell's over Founders for me, pretty easily.

I'd also probably take Jolly Pumpkin over Founders when it comes to Michigan breweries.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    New Glarus is really great. Spotted Cow is the only one I don't like. Their small batch brews are fantastic.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    sam adams rebel ipa is damn good

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Going by their website, their stuff is only available in the DFW area (and here, of course)

I'll have to remember that when I inevitably get dragged to my girlfriend's family Christmas in Fort Worth.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    spec2spec2 Painted in my tiger skin Especially in MichiganRegistered User regular
    sam adams rebel ipa is damn good

YES. I feel like maybe I've mentioned in the past that its rating on Untappd or BeerAdvocate is almost certainly deflated by it coming from Sam Adams. If people tasted it blind, I can almost guarantee that they would be more likely to admit it's a great anytime IPA.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I like Bells Porter better then Founders, I've yet to try Bells pale ale though.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    IcbprLz.jpg

A beer available only at Studio Ghibli's museum in Japan.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I must have it.

I need to get married so I can take my honeymoon.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Someone buy me a bottle and send it to me!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Speaking of mailing beer I'm so disappointed I never got any Mad Elf last year. Going to have to remedy this.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    Hennepin is seriously tasty

• Options

You cannot take full bottles off the property, only empties.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

You cannot take full bottles off the property, only empties.

A good policy.

• Options
    That's the worst policy!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Speaking of mailing beer I'm so disappointed I never got any Mad Elf last year. Going to have to remedy this.

Mad Elf is an evil beer. So good, but so damn alcoholic.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    the rebel ipa is 6.something abv, which is kind of surprising

• Options
    So it turns out that beer I bought whose name I couldn't remember was Orval by Brasserie D'Orval in Belgium. Holy moly this beer is amazing.

• Options
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    Hennepin is seriously tasty

Doug Benson talked about getting "Fucked up on Hennepin" on his podcast a few weeks ago, I hoped in my heart of hearts it was the beer but he was actually just getting fucked up at a bar on Hennepin St. in Minnesota.

• Options
    Drinking a 2013 Stone Imperial Russian Stout and it is Oh so good.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    "Fill it with Apricot Crush from 10 Barrel," I say to the barkeep. And, sonofabitch, the keg blows after a mere 15 ounces. Nice collective "Ohhhhh . . ." from the others at the rail.

The downside: I drove down to the fill station to get that specific beer.

The upside: said barkeep emptied the contents into a pint glass and gave it to me on the house.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Huh, I would put most of Great Lakes' stuff into the good-but-not-great category. Except for Edmund Fitzgerald, which is magically delicious. I haven't tried a lot of their seasonal or limited edition brews, though, since I don't seem to see them in Wisconsin.

New Glarus is the way and the light. It is love.

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Huh, I would put most of Great Lakes' stuff into the good-but-not-great category. Except for Edmund Fitzgerald, which is magically delicious. I haven't tried a lot of their seasonal or limited edition brews, though, since I don't seem to see them in Wisconsin.

New Glarus is the way and the light. It is love.

Ah, we get all of their seasonal and most of their limited batches here. Lake Erie Monster is one of the best beers out there, for me anyway. Their Oktoberfest is easily the best I've had as well.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I wish we got more Michigan stuff down here. We get Bell's and Founder's pretty consistently, but not a lot of the smaller breweries.

• Options
    "Fill it with Apricot Crush from 10 Barrel," I say to the barkeep. And, sonofabitch, the keg blows after a mere 15 ounces. Nice collective "Ohhhhh . . ." from the others at the rail.

The downside: I drove down to the fill station to get that specific beer.

The upside: said barkeep emptied the contents into a pint glass and gave it to me on the house.

That is the correct bartender response. If your bar doesn't give you free beer when the keg blows, they need a talking to. :)

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    My dad went up to a festival in Vermont called Hop Jam this weekend.

Came home with 4 Hill Farmstead Brewery growlers (I've only had Abner and Susan so far, dunno what the other two are) and two 4-packs of Heady Topper. :D

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a white ale/witbier?
    Bonus points if it is brewed in/near Seattle.

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    BombClancy wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a white ale/witbier?
    Bonus points if it is brewed in/near Seattle.

Not brewed in Seattle, but a damn fine white ale is Allagash White.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    For Michigan I'd have to either go with New Holland or Greenbush. Greenbush has the variety, and I feel that their Brother Benjamin Honey Imperial IPA is their best. On the other hand, Dragon's Milk. :9

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    For Michigan I'd have to either go with New Holland or Greenbush. Greenbush has the variety, and I feel that their Brother Benjamin Honey Imperial IPA is their best. On the other hand, Dragon's Milk. :9

I'm a big fan of New Holland's. I'm drinking their pumpkin beer Headless Horseman as I type this. The Poet and Mad Hatter IPA are my go to beers, and they've got a bunch of good seasonals as well. Founder's is pretty baller and I've been loving their All Day IPA this summer.

• Options
    I sometimes wish I enjoyed pumpkin beer.

• Options
    Greenbush is actually over Founders in my book, because if their variety and the general quality of their beer. Brother Benjamin is up there, but I actually think their LTD old ale is their best beer. I kind of hate saying stuff like "best beer" because a lot of this is subjective. Once you get to a certain point above bland, ratings and rankings really rely on personal taste.

I really need to drink more New Holland stuff because The Poet is my go-to example of an oatmeal stout. It's just so tasty.

• Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Made a wager that I'm now regretting; its that I can go an entire month without beer. The wife is sure that it's impossible and that I'll cave.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Whiskey?

• Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Whiskey and bourbon were implied in that wager. It basically went, "Wish there was beer in the house." She replied, "Can't you go any length of time without alcohol?" To which I said, "I bet you I can go a month without any."

No clear rules. I really want brews and can go without bourbon and whiskey. Just shows I'm more butt hurt that someone thinks I have no restraint on drinking. Going to go all or nothing to prove a point.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
This discussion has been closed.