As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do We Have A Beer Thread? I Want to Talk About Beer Now

• Options
    spec2spec2 Painted in my tiger skin Especially in MichiganRegistered User regular
    Haha. See, I love beer, but the thing I love most is just trying new things. So if I had to give up a month of alcohol, I'd just start trying fancy sodas or something else to fill that hole. :P

• Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Same here, love beer.

Hard part about this month will be Oktoberfest here in Cincinnati and playing Destiny with PAers who will be drinking while I remain boringly sober.

Terrible timing.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Maybe this would be good timing to throw together a new batch of homebrew since I'm waiting.

Cincitucky on
  • Options
    Well. That didn't last long. Caved and picked up some Great Lakes Oktoberfest.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Picked up a Deschutes Sampler which I've had most of and a Beard Beer from Rogue.

I know... ROGUE. Buy I had to try something that claims to be made from beard yeast.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I could just take you to the old man bar down the street and you'll get all sorts of natural yeast from whatever is in the tap lines.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This beard beer is actually pretty delicious

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's kinda like a farmhouse. Plenty funky.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    My standard filling location has Rodenbach's Grand Cru.

The planned 'five minute' stop just got extended to 'indefinite'.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    So I just got back from central europe, and my beer eyes have been opened. Every single beer there is excellent, and strong. We were picking restaurants at random and it was all great.

Also, while they do have some brands there, I found that most restaurants just served beer under styles. You would order "the wheat beer", or "the lager". And you get whatever the house is serving. But that's OK because there's a 99.9% chance it will be fucking exquisite.

Flavor wise, all highly drinkable, like the finest microbrew, and in terms of strength/alcohol content, all very strong. One beer is usually enough for a solid buzz.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Today I went to the opening of a new bar in town that has thirty beers on tap and they are all fancy craft beers. I had many delightful beers and had a friend drive me home to drink the Bud LIghts I had in my fridge.

The list was overwhelming at first so I went with the Stone Go To IPA to start, because you can't go wrong with a beer from Stones.

• Options
    Now I get it. Even More Jesus relates to the sheer number of times you'll mutter/exclaim "Jesus Christ . . ." while drinking it.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Beer thread.

The wife got me a Dry Dock Booty Box, an Aspen Saison, an Upright Saison, and we cracked open a Nocturn Chrysalis for my birthday.

I am content.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    She is a keeper.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    I was just at Upright on Friday. What bottle?

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Double red from St. Francis Brewing is really good. Tomorrow will be the outmeal chocolate stout from Sand Creek Brewing and football.

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Me and a mate just tried a beer that bills itself as being basically rocky road in a glass. It bloody well was too, it was amazing. Tastes just like what @Blake T‌'s mum makes. It's called Sex, Drugs &Rocky Road, from Bacchus Brewing.

pimento on
  • Options
    Oh my god I drank so much tonight.

I'm not even sure why I'm awake...

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I drank so much tonight.

I'm not even sure why I'm awake...

Are you awake? Or are you sleep posting?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Now I get it. Even More Jesus relates to the sheer number of times you'll mutter/exclaim "Jesus Christ . . ." while drinking it.

Haha ok, seriously, again, if you liked it that much you need to pick up the 'I Love You With My Stout' four pack. It is Evil Twin brewing the exact same recipe but at another brewery at half the price by volume.

I'm genuinely curious though, what is your top Imperial Stout of a time?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Me and a mate just tried a beer that bills itself as being basically rocky road in a glass. It bloody well was too, it was amazing. Tastes just like what @Blake T‌'s mum makes. It's called Sex, Drugs &Rocky Road, from Bacchus Brewing.

So the Sex, drugs or rocky road?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »

So the Sex, drugs or rocky road?

Yes.

• Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    I was just at Upright on Friday. What bottle?

Four.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Excellent. That and Six are my two favorites of the four base options.
    user wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious though, what is your top Imperial Stout of a time?

The Abyss.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My girlfriend got me a bag of beef jerky and a bottle of Lagavulin 16 Year single malt Scotch. 25 is officially my Ron Swanson birthday.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    She should've made you bacon wrapped shrimp, too.

This cooler fall weather gave me a fierce craving for a stout, and I needed a can of chick peas and some basil - so I nipped off to the market and the package store is on the way.
    Luckily, in the fridge amongst the pumpkin and fest beers that are multiplying like rabbits, there was a sixer of Stone Coffee Milk Stout.
    I drank some, baked a banana bread, and now there's a minestrone soup bubbling away on the stove.

Happy happy happy belly.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Bacon wrapped scallops are always superior to shrimp.

• Options
    Bacon wrapped scallops are always superior to shrimp.

It's a Ron Swanson thing.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    Got this stuff in the mail on Friday for tweeting a picture of some Great Lakes Oktoberfest to their local twitter account
    08B0Mk2.jpg

Also, my girlfriends sister-in-law spent the week in Cleveland for work and brought me back these things.
    hjjVqQJ.jpg

One filled with the Oktoberfest and one with the Nosferatu. Good stuff.

4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    I missed the sentence between the pictures the first time and was stunned at the awesomeness of Great Lakes sending you filled growlers.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    How was it?

Or is your lack of reply actually a reply?

It was pretty good, heavy and chocolate flavor muted the pumpkin and spices but I liked it

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Man, a liquor "super store" opened up in a city 40 minutes from my house. It has everything I could imagine as far a hard liquor, and their beer selection is pretty top notch. They have all of the bigger Midwest breweries covered, plus some small local ones, and then all of the major names from around the US. They also have a good selection of foreign beer. They also have Beer Advocate ratings on any beer with a score of 90 or above.

I picked up a bomber of Unibroue Ephemere Apple, and bottles of Brother Thelonius, Left Hand Nitro milk stout, Boulevard Brewery Quadruple, a local blueberry ale from a brewery in La Porte, IN, New Belgium's trippel, and another abbey ale I can't remember the name of.

The city it's in has a large mall that I visit semi-frequenly. Just about the right time to refill the beer fridge.

Edit: dang, even for phone posting that was a lot of typos.

You talking about the new wise guys in merrillville? Binnys is better

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »
    Man, a liquor "super store" opened up in a city 40 minutes from my house. It has everything I could imagine as far a hard liquor, and their beer selection is pretty top notch. They have all of the bigger Midwest breweries covered, plus some small local ones, and then all of the major names from around the US. They also have a good selection of foreign beer. They also have Beer Advocate ratings on any beer with a score of 90 or above.

I picked up a bomber of Unibroue Ephemere Apple, and bottles of Brother Thelonius, Left Hand Nitro milk stout, Boulevard Brewery Quadruple, a local blueberry ale from a brewery in La Porte, IN, New Belgium's trippel, and another abbey ale I can't remember the name of.

The city it's in has a large mall that I visit semi-frequenly. Just about the right time to refill the beer fridge.

Edit: dang, even for phone posting that was a lot of typos.

You talking about the new wise guys in merrillville? Binnys is better

Is there a Binny's in Merrillville? I saw quite a few in Chicago this weekend, but I've never been in one.

• Options
    Nope. they are only in Illinois. And they are amazing!

Ok so recent beers I've tried:

Sam Adams Fat jack Double Pumpkin- I like pumpkin beers a lot, this is super pumpkiny. It has spices and stuff in it, but they are over powered by the pumpkin, a little sweet. I enjoyed it overall.
    Atwater Brewery Blueberry Cobbler - Really good! Nice scent to it and a good blueberry flavor, its not a stout or anything, its thinner so its a good alternative for people who want fruit beers but don't want something thick
    Kiuchi Brewery Hitachino Nest Espresso - Really good japanease coffee beer. Nice head, good coffee flavor, no aftertaste of hops. Just great all around
    Pipeworks Brewing Company Coffee Break Abduction - Alright beer, but I couldn't actually taste the coffee...which is suppose to be the point.
    Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout - Amazing. Like drinking a chocolate bar.

• Options
    @Bucketman‌ I have tried Hitachino Nest Espresso and I thought it was unbearably bitter. Maybe there was something wrong with my bottle? I couldn't finish it.

Their White Ale is ridiculously good and you should try it if you haven't yet/can find it.

• Options
    its possible, I didn't feel like mine was bitter, but it also sat in my fridge for like 2 months

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Went to the Chicago Craft Beer Festival last weekend. Lots of Good Stuff! I do have to say that both of Bell's beers were better than Founders stuff. Also the trend of IPAs continues unabated and they just aren't for me
    Some of the Good Stuff though

Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Ale; Bells Best Brown Ale & Double Cream; Baderbrau's Red Velvet; Smylie's California Common; Ten Ninety's Apricot; Urban Legend's Lacey's Revenge; Anderson Valley's Bahl Hornin; Oskar Blue's Old Chub; Virtue Farm's Lapinette & Red Streak; Brooklyn Brewery Fire&Ice

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    I picked up a bottle of the newer Stone Mocha stout thing. I just learned that it's a milk stout and I'm lactose intollerant. Am i going to have problems with it (should I talk Lactaid pills with the beer?)

• Options
    Tickets for my local sold out brew fest are going for around 250 on the secondary market for two

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    I picked up a bottle of the newer Stone Mocha stout thing. I just learned that it's a milk stout and I'm lactose intollerant. Am i going to have problems with it (should I talk Lactaid pills with the beer?)

Milk Stouts do have lactose in them, according to a quick Googling, so I'd take one to be on the safe side. (Don't know how severe your intolerance is so use your judgement?)

This discussion has been closed.